View Poll Results: Automatic Federal prisoner "opt-in" for organ donations?
Yes 4 4.82%
No 73 87.95%
Maybe 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Should all Federal prisoners be automatic "opt-ins" for organ donation?

Would you approve of all Federal prisoners being an automatic "opt-in" for organ donations while serving their sentences?
Old 09-13-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

No. One right that has been repeatedly upheld for prisoners is freedom of religion, and many people object to organ donation on religious grounds. I believe in an opt-out system, and would prefer it to be established universally, but singling out prisoners to be donors seems to me to be a violation of fundamental rights.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:04 PM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Not while there's a death penalty. I've seen that movie before. (I think it's playing in China and North Korea right now, come to think of it.)

But maybe that would incentivize the federal prison system to tackle HIV, hepatitis, and other infectious diseases among the prison population.

Last edited by mjmlabs; 09-13-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

No, it’s adds a value to incarceration that could run the risk of titling decisions in the favor of jailing someone.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 PM

No....just...no. You go to jail, and lose sovereignty over your body in many ways. To revoke one's agency over their wishes about their remains is macabre and horrifying.

Doesn't surprise me that some people would support it, though.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Only if everyone is opt-in, and they're given as clear and straightforward an option for opting out as everyone else.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM

With our prison system and legal system no, just no. But as I like the idea that the UK implemented of all are opt-out.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:56 PM

To Czarcasm, just what do you think Federal prisoners are in for? If you are imagining a bunch of Jeffrey Dahmers then you are very mistaken. Why do you think that the fact that they were convicted of a Federal crime makes them candidates for harvesting their organs?

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics...e_offenses.jsp
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 PM

I suspect the OP actually means "opt-out". Meaning, you are enrolled in the program with your knowledge but without your consent. You are however free to opt out and withdraw consent at any time.

This is different from "automatic opt-in", because this operates on assumed consent (for example 10 pages of fine print saying they can use your private information however they wish). It's a shady practice and I don't support it whether it's email harvesting or organ harvesting.

I think organ donation should be opt-out for federal prisoners and also everyone else. Meaning - you are explicitly notified that you are automatically enrolled in the organ donation program, unless you explicitly opt out.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Only if everyone is opt-in, and they're given as clear and straightforward an option for opting out as everyone else.
Agreed. I don't see this as an area where there's any reason for prisoners to have different rights than non-prisoners have.

I would support a program of making everyone, prisoners and non-prisoners, an automatic opt-in with an easy opportunity to opt out for those who wish to.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 09-13-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Ew. No. That's a violation of rights that I don't think you should lose because you got sentenced to prison. Plus not everybody is a candidate to donate organs anyway, depending on their own medical conditions.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:12 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Oh, hell no. Dehumanize them further, and recidivism rates and reincarceration go even more sky-high. Along with relapse rates, attempted and successful suicide, abuse of others, and probably even barratry.

Currently inmates have the right to the same level of medical care as people in the community. I see no reason to change that.

Let's not be like China, folks.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
No, itís adds a value to incarceration that could run the risk of titling decisions in the favor of jailing someone.
This was my immediate thought along with the thought of Of Course Not!
Old 09-13-2019, 07:17 PM

Sometimes the numbers on the polls on the Straight Dope make me want to sob with with shame, I’m happy to see the numbers on this poll.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
With our prison system and legal system no, just no. But as I like the idea that the UK implemented of all are opt-out.

Yep, opting out is definitely the way it should be imo.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:26 PM

I voted yes, but then I think everyone should be opt-in.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:34 PM

Lots of people here confusing the concepts of opt-in and opt-out with a mandatory program.

Once more:

Mandatory = you are automatically enrolled without your consent, and you can't withdraw.

Opt-out = you are automatically enrolled without your consent, but you can withdraw.

Opt-in = you are enrolled only when you consent, and you can withdraw.

Automatic opt-in = you consented to one thing, and the fine print says that this is automatic consent for some other thing.

Opt-out is the most ethical way to get the most enrollees, because people who are too lazy to opt in are typically too lazy to opt out, but people who really want out can opt out.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I went with maybe because of this. I would support universal opt-out and then prisoners would be a part of that like the rest of us. The concept of harvesting prisoners for their organs is just insane but that's where losing the right to opt out for prisoners would end up.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
To Czarcasm, just what do you think Federal prisoners are in for? If you are imagining a bunch of Jeffrey Dahmers then you are very mistaken. Why do you think that the fact that they were convicted of a Federal crime makes them candidates for harvesting their organs?

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics...e_offenses.jsp
I think the question popped into my head while I was reading this thread in General Questions.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:41 PM

No. Prison is already cruel enough.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:45 PM

This is basically the kind of thing that leads to Niven's "Organ Bank Problem" scenario; when people become more valuable in parts than together and you can disassemble criminals, eventually every crime receives the death penalty. Run a red light or make a mistake on your taxes, you die in the organ banks.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 09-13-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
To Czarcasm, just what do you think Federal prisoners are in for? If you are imagining a bunch of Jeffrey Dahmers then you are very mistaken.
The irony here being that Dahmer wasn't a Federal prisoner, either, he was a state prisoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Currently inmates have the right to the same level of medical care as people in the community.
Incorrect. At present prisoners have MORE right to medical care than the non-incarcerated population. Prisoners get medical care regardless of ability to pay, the free population who can't pay don't get care outside of whatever is needed to prevent imminent death in the ER, assuming they get to the ER in time, after which they're on their own for whatever follow-up care is medically necessary. Which is why this country has diabetics dying for lack of access to insulin.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:40 AM
born to be shunned

As long as they have the option to withdraw I can live with it.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I believe they should be considered organ donors unless they decide to opt out.

I believe everyone should be considered organ donors unless they decide to opt out.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:05 PM

I believe any society which has gotten to the point where opt-out being what requires paperwork makes sense (on account of a very large majority of people being donors) is better than one where opt-in is what requires activation, but I also consider that penalties should be crime-specific and that the US already removes an inordinate amount of rights from any prisoners, whether we limit "prisoners" to convicted criminals or not. When it comes to organ donation, the imprisoned population of any country should have the same right to choose and equivalent protocols to those of the general population; by "equivalent" I mean that if signing (in or out) requires going to a specific place the prisoner cannot go to on account of being a prisoner, the forms should be brought to them.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How about making it so that people who are registered organ donors get placed on 'waiting lists' above people who are not registered donors?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Just no. We are not China.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:39 PM

Imagine waking up from surgery and the doctor says "You have Charles Manson's heart!".
Old 09-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I think people seem to understand the OP, but to be clear, the term "opt-out" means you are in by default, and if you don't want to be in, you explicitly opt out. So the question is, "Would you approve of organ donation for all Federal prisoners being opt-out while serving their sentences?"
Old 09-14-2019, 05:46 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gay View Post
Imagine waking up from surgery and the doctor says "You have Charles Manson's heart!".
Pun intended and not intended ---- I could live with it.