Old 09-14-2019, 11:42 PM

Will a B.A. in Economics help me in the law enforcement world?

I'm almost done with my Economics degree and am deciding on career options. I wish to go in Economics-related field (Personal Banking) and a few others, but in case those don't work out or I don't fit in those professions, I have been wanting to join law enforcement (ideally someone like a Public Information Officer for the Sheriff's Department, or a position in that type of capacity).

Would a bachelor's degree in Economics help in that field if I applied after graduation?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:23 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Since the OP is looking for advice, let's move this to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 AM

Perhaps it might help in a career in financial crimes enforcement? Get some background in accounting and learn how to "follow the money" to develop evidence in white collar crime cases.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

There are also options like joining a compliance department at a brokerage firm or working for a regulatory agency.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Perhaps it might help in a career in financial crimes enforcement? Get some background in accounting and learn how to "follow the money" to develop evidence in white collar crime cases.
Economics has far more in common with psychology than accounting. Economics and business finance are very different things.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I don't know how it works in other places, but around here most public agencies with Public Information Officers have one of two types. One comes straight out of the ranks (in law enforcement that would be someone like a young-ish sergeant) who's thoroughly familiar with the department's procedures and processes and who's thoroughly comfortable dealing with "civilians."

The other is to hire a former journalist who worked in either print or broadcast media and knows the media's needs inside and out.

Either way, a PIO has to be able to communicate one-on-one, speak to both school assemblies and concerned groups of adults, and be able to stay cool, calm and on message during a crisis when all hell has just broken loose.

It's not really a skill set that any course of study prepares you for.

Last edited by Kent Clark; 09-16-2019 at 03:40 PM.