Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 PM

iPhone voice-to-text drives me nuts!

It would be one thing if it just wasn't very good, or couldn't understand me for some reason. But I'm constantly seeing it be 100% accurate as I'm saying the worlds, only for it to decide to change everything the moment I'm done! It's so aggravating.

Here's an example from a few minutes ago. I said “I wonder if she ever dances to my songs”, and those very words appeared on the screen. But then when I stopped speaking and pressed the microphone again, it changed to "I want to see ever dances to my size".

Sometimes when this happens, it at least leaves phrases it's unsure about underlined, and then you can click them and see other options, hopefully including what I actually said. But this time, nope: it apparently decided as soon as I was done that the worlds I actually said couldn't possibly make sense, so it must be this other pile of gibberish.

Anyone else have this issue? I hate trying to tap out messages on the screen (I always seem to hit "I" when I mean "O", etc., and it's so slow), so I just want this to work!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:38 PM
BANNED

I've had the same thing happen with Google Maps. I'll speak an address that appears as I said it while I'm speaking, only to have the program change it to something else entirely once I'm done. Most annoying.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 PM

Indeed!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Huh. Works extremely well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
But then when I stopped speaking and pressed the microphone again, it changed to "I want to see ever dances to my size".
Why are you pressing the mic again? I just stop speaking and it detects I'm finished....
Old 02-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Just curious, where is your phone?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Odd...I've never seen this. I use it quite often (mainly for text messages) and have never seen it change something after I'm done. But I have an older iPhone 5 and I'm still at iOS 10.something. Maybe it's iOS 11 that causes this?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Odd...I've never seen this. I use it quite often (mainly for text messages) and have never seen it change something after I'm done. But I have an older iPhone 5 and I'm still at iOS 10.something. Maybe it's iOS 11 that causes this?
My iPhone 6s Plus is running iOS 11.2.5 and I've never had a problem.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Why are you pressing the mic again? I just stop speaking and it detects I'm finished....
Not me. I just now tested that to be sure, and it just sits there making little audio tremors from background noise until I press the microphone again to tell it I am finished.

Quote:
My iPhone 6s Plus is running iOS 11.2.5 and I've never had a problem.
I’m envious! Mine is also a 6 Plus (not sure about the S part), also running 11.2.5, although this behavior has been happening since I got it, and it was on iOS 10 then, I think.

BTW, I hold the phone the same place I do when looking at it. But that can’t be too relevant, since it is understanding me at first and then changing its mind.

(There it went again: it had that whole sentence right, then changed it to “But that can’t be too relevance since it is understanding me up first of them changing its mind.” Aargh)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Not me. I just now tested that to be sure, and it just sits there making little audio tremors from background noise until I press the microphone again to tell it I am finished.
OK, I think that's new. I swear I never needed to hit the mic before. I just googled a few things using voice to text. The mic remained live, but I could hit the magnifying glass and it searched what I'd said.

With Siri I can just ask a question or give a command and when I stop talking she answers.

What specific app is giving you problems?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
I've had the same thing happen with Google Maps. I'll speak an address that appears as I said it while I'm speaking, only to have the program change it to something else entirely once I'm done. Most annoying.
I just used Google Maps, inputting via voice to text. I spoke the destination and when I stopped speaking it displayed what I'd said and brought up directions.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:53 PM

I just Googled how to tell what model number it is and verified that it is a 6s Plus, 32GB.

I know the problem happens in Google Inbox and WhatsApp, the two apps I most frequently and voluminously need to enter text in. I did a test just now in Safari doing a Google search and also in Notes. The Safari Google search was impressively accurate, without changing it to something less accurate. The Notes dictation of the same phrase, read out of the latest issue of The New Yorker, was really bad from the start. It did offer the underlined words to presumably change them, but as I know I also have trouble with sometimes, tapping them would not bring up suggestions.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I just used Google Maps, inputting via voice to text. I spoke the destination and when I stopped speaking it displayed what I'd said and brought up directions.
It usually displays what I say too. The problem I described only happens occasionally but it does happen. Google Maps sometimes also simply refuses to display what I've said no matter how many times I try and instead comes up with all sorts of erroneous interpretations no matter how distinctly I try to pronounce it correctly with the result that I eventually wind up having to key the address in manually. It seems to be worse on certain nights than a constant thing. I suspect something to do with the cell towers or with momentary glitches in the computers that run the program.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 PM

I generally don’t have problems with getting directions. But what I most importantly need it for is composing emails, texts, and posts for this board and others. If it inserts errors in several words of each sentence through multiple paragraphs, that is a lot of extra time proofreading and editing. (Ha, of course it was nearly perfect for this post!)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I just Googled how to tell what model number it is and verified that it is a 6s Plus, 32GB.

I know the problem happens in Google Inbox and WhatsApp, the two apps I most frequently and voluminously need to enter text in.
I just sent three fairly long messages to my brother in WhatsApp. I had to hit the mic to end, but it got every single word correct in all three messages.

Does Siri work well for you?
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM

Hit and miss.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I just sent three fairly long messages to my brother in WhatsApp. I had to hit the mic to end, but it got every single word correct in all three messages.

Does Siri work well for you?
This is similar to how I use it (IM's via Messages or whatsapp, emails, etc) and I'm usually amazed how accurate it is. I just speak the punctuation and it gets those as well.

BTW, I hate typing on the iphone so I talk to it. Talk->Text is far more accurate than my fat thumbs and the auto-correct mess it comes up with. Far more accurate.

Last edited by wguy123; 02-13-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 PM
BANNED

I'm on an iPhone 6 Plus and I've always had a lot of trouble with talk-to-text messing up on some of the words but generally felt it would take less time to correct the errors than to type out the whole message. I never looked to see if the words were initially correct and then changed as I usually was driving at the time, but when I'd check before sending the message I'd see the errors. Finally I just stopped using it at all. This thread has spurred me to try again to see if the words were correct at first and then changed but apparently the latest couple of updates have largely corrected the problem. I just tried five different phrases by talk-to-text and it got every word right each time. I'm not behind the wheel though so checking it while I'm driving will be the next test.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:07 PM

Is there a way to make video of what appears on my screen, like a moving screenshot? I want to show you guys since it doesn’t happen to you.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
It would be one thing if it just wasn't very good, or couldn't understand me for some reason. But I'm constantly seeing it be 100% accurate as I'm saying the worlds, only for it to decide to change everything the moment I'm done! It's so aggravating.

Here's an example from a few minutes ago. I said “I wonder if she ever dances to my songs”, and those very words appeared on the screen. But then when I stopped speaking and pressed the microphone again, it changed to "I want to see ever dances to my size".

Sometimes when this happens, it at least leaves phrases it's unsure about underlined, and then you can click them and see other options, hopefully including what I actually said. But this time, nope: it apparently decided as soon as I was done that the worlds I actually said couldn't possibly make sense, so it must be this other pile of gibberish.

Anyone else have this issue? I hate trying to tap out messages on the screen (I always seem to hit "I" when I mean "O", etc., and it's so slow), so I just want this to work!

My iphone does this about every other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
My iphone does this about every other day.
Sorry to hear it, although I also confess I'm glad it's not just me!
Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to make video of what appears on my screen, like a moving screenshot? I want to show you guys since it doesn’t happen to you.
Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls > Tap the green + next to Screen Recording.

Then enter Control Center, 3D touch (meaning a hard press) on the Screen Recording icon in order to turn on audio recoding from the microphone as well, then tap Start Recording.

Stop recording by taping the red bar at the top of the screen.

You could also reset Siri altogether, which should delete all your personalized Siri data and force it to relearn your speech. I have no idea how helpful that will really be, but if you want to try it go to

Settings > Siri & Search > turn off both Listen for "Hey Siri" and Press Home for Siri.
then
Settings > General > Keyboard > turn off Enable Dictation.

Then turn it all back on. Don't forget, it will have to relearn your speech all over again, so this is a bit of a throwing the baby out with the bathwater solution and as I mentioned I have no idea how much it will help. You could just be one of those people Siri doesn't play well with.

Last edited by zbuzz; 02-14-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: hey siri, edit my post
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 AM

Like the noise in your car engine that disappears when you take it to the mechanic, I had a hard time getting this behavior to show up on the recordings, like it was shy on camera. But I will note that this was mostly because the text was so wrong from beginning to end. Maybe screen recording at the same time taxes the processor too much? (It definitely did not allow me to record my voice at the same time as voice to text.) Even in the cases where I got some minor examples to show up, you will notice that most of rest of the passage is messed up from the start. As I said in my OP, it’s not usually that bad, or I probably would have given up on it long ago.

But here are the minor examples I did record:

(1)
https://youtu.be/U1yH5iHQ9Eo
The correct phrase “...the former hopes to ensure that the country remains standing” is there for just a split second, but then inexplicably changes to “...romance standing”. Isn’t there some kind of basic grammar engine that would not need to be concerned solely with which one it sounds like, but also which one is grammatical? Apparently not!

(2)
https://youtu.be/I_GU_12e1j4
The first part of this sentence, up to the comma, was not quite right—but so very close!—until the very end. It is supposed to read “The middle-aged heroine travels out of the city to see her son”. As you will also see in the next example, it seems particularly fond of removing the first word I say, even though I can plainly see that it was picked up by the microphone.

(3)
https://youtu.be/uBz0lXrhYFw
Sure, this might the most minor example of all. But the beginning of the sentence once again was exactly correct: “He is constantly crying, his mother says”. This is changed to “Is constantly crying, his mother says”. Which means I not only have to add the “He” but change the “Is” to lowercase “is”. Again it decides to ditch my first word for no understandable reason, and again this makes the sentence grammatically incorrect.

I did think this was kind of funny though, because the New Yorker story I was reading from was about a Russian family—and after the change, it does sound more like the broken English a Russian émigré might speak.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 02-15-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 PM

I used to get weird emails from my boss when he was on the road. On particularly bad ones, I'd preface my reply with an assertion that Siri was drunk - I think he got the message because they are much cleaner now.

-DF
Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 PM

Heh.