Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Jays Fan

What are your favourite type of Youtube videos?

So what I'm asking here is not what your specific favourite videos are, but what your favourite TYPE of videos might be?

Mrs. RickJay and I simply can't get enough of videos where reporters get mugged by animals. Seeing someone trying to maintain composure but failing to do so while being attacked by a pissed off animal leaves us in tears of laughter. The best of course are when the animal is a comical one, like a turkey or a small cat. (Things that could actually seriously injure you aren't funny.) If they can get the reporter to yell obscenities, bonus points.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AdrmfjAhn0

I could watch these all day. If Youtube put out 25 hours of fresh animals vs. reporters videos tomorrow I'd watch every minute of it by the weekend.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 AM

"How To" videos and home improvement are my favs.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:02 AM

I enjoy watching BTS videos of old movies or TV shows, and interviews of movie and TV stars from long ago. My favorite YouTube video was a 6 part interview with Sid Caesar talking about making live TV in the 1950s.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 AM
born to be shunned

I don't know that I have a favorite so much as a preference to music; especially odd-ball groups like the Red Hot Chili Pipers and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. Music in general is the majority of my YT time by a slight advantage and one of the few categories I rewatch postings from.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 AM

Starcraft 2 games never get old for me.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM

I like art technique and painting videos, and also art documentaries, particularly detailed biographies of both famous and obscure artists.

Second choice is I like really old celebrity interviews.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
So what I'm asking here is not what your specific favourite videos are, but what your favourite TYPE of videos might be?

Mrs. RickJay and I simply can't get enough of videos where reporters get mugged by animals. Seeing someone trying to maintain composure but failing to do so while being attacked by a pissed off animal leaves us in tears of laughter. The best of course are when the animal is a comical one, like a turkey or a small cat. (Things that could actually seriously injure you aren't funny.) If they can get the reporter to yell obscenities, bonus points.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AdrmfjAhn0

I could watch these all day. If Youtube put out 25 hours of fresh animals vs. reporters videos tomorrow I'd watch every minute of it by the weekend.
All time favourite in that category: Pinky the cat and Officer Clawed Balls

Last edited by K364; 02-13-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Math videos, especially Numberphile and Vi Hart. Though I also watch a fair bit of maker videos, with things like guys who build a bronze foundry in their backyards.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Ozzie Man Reviews are hilarious: NSFW (language) https://youtu.be/403jeXpQPuU
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM

My daughter that is 14, Loves music videos and odd ball comedy. Thing is I must be 14 inside because I love them too!

Things like "Llamas with Hats", "The Duck and the Lemonade Stand" and "Jellyfish Song" to name a few comedies.

Music, groups like Babymetal, Black Veil Brides, and of course the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM

I like Numberphile (math videos) and the related science channels, and sports highlights.

But my favorite thing to watch is people dancing. Not so much competitions or performances, but just people in clubs or on the street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChD1a6SbL0

In part, it is because I like to dance myself and I can steal a few movies, but mostly I just find it relaxing.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM

This is something kids do, but I like to watch people play video games.

It's an old habit formed in my college years. My roommates and friends liked games but they weren't very good at them. If I played with them I'd absolutely destroy them, which was no fun for anyone, so I would just sit back and hang out while they played. I like to watch multiplayer games like Dead By Daylight or Friday the 13th or even people just fucking around in GTA Online.

Then there's short time-killing videos about dumb shit like taste-testing Japanese Kit-Kats or whatever from Buzzfeed or Facts (which is basically Irish Buzzfeed minus the "serious" stuff).
Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

My favorite types are science/tech videos and political videos, especially international political videos (China, Russia, Middle East, etc). I also enjoy military tech videos.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM

I like videos of people from one country trying common (but to them exotic) foods of another country. Americans try fish flavored Japanese snacks, Swedes try Lucky Charms, that sort of thing.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
I like videos of people from one country trying common (but to them exotic) foods of another country. Americans try fish flavored Japanese snacks, Swedes try Lucky Charms, that sort of thing.
I subscribe to a channel called Facts which is basically Irish people trying foods or drinks or whatever...it's pretty funny.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I can while away a few hours on those channels.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM

I'm an old crank so I never had much use for "watching" YouTube (versus just finding clips of things to illustrate a point) but I redid my computer recently and got into the habit of watching various videos benchmarking things or discussing upgrades when then spiraled into happily watching nonsense like testing a solid-state drive made out of a bunch of phone memory cards.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:09 PM

I like Basset hound vids
Old 02-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Extrajudicial

Unboxing videos. I have no idea why they are so soothing.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:31 PM

I've been watching a lot of old school pro wrestling shoot interviews lately. I haven't been a fan of the business for 25 years at least, but it's interesting to hear the real life details behind the shows we used to enjoy so much.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:39 PM

My favorite type are the ones when Paul Rudd sits down in front of a computer and watches different versions of himself dancing.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Motorcycle reviews
Car reviews
Firearms reviews
Political Science stuff
Documentaries
Science shows
Win videos
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Generally, sports highlights, the 3-minute highlights of a game condensed down into short form.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
I've been watching a lot of old school pro wrestling shoot interviews lately. I haven't been a fan of the business for 25 years at least, but it's interesting to hear the real life details behind the shows we used to enjoy so much.
I enjoy those, too. Now that my kid likes wrestling I get nostalgic for the heroes of old. I also like sports bloopers, news bloopers, stuff like that. And of course many times I've turned to youtube for some DIY stuff related to home or car or whatever.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:38 PM

Every time we open YouTube, it starts with Celtic Knot (that's me and Mr. CK) performing "Irish Washerwoman" at the Farmington Renaissance Fair 2010.
At home, we try to catch new Qi episodes before they are taken down.
At school, I try to find good videos to expand on the rather dry Science textbook.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:44 PM

Always happy whenever Epic Meal Time releases a new video. Their newest one (World's Spiciest Burger) looks scary, though.

Most amateur cover songs are hit and miss, but I always enjoy "collaboration covers" -- like this one -- where several people on different continents record a song together. (I always wonder if they record their parts separately or simultaneously?)

And then of course there's the video game Let's Plays, the Russian dashcam crash compilations, CGP Grey videos...
Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 PM

I will spend some time watching Instant Karma.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 PM

I saw a really good "how to" one. It was on bikini waxing.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I subscribe to a channel called Facts which is basically Irish people trying foods or drinks or whatever...it's pretty funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Yeah, I can while away a few hours on those channels.
Yep, add another vote for them. Got hooked from the "Kids vs Food" on the REACT channel and now look them up wherever they are (check out people eating surstromming).

Also liked 'Soldiers surprise coming home" and "surprise puppies" when I'm feeling in the mood for it.