Old 09-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Children's Science Kickstarter

Mrs. Cheesesteak and I are launching a company selling children's science kits.

We've spent the last year or so designing and testing 12 different types of experiments. What can I say, we love choice. Now we're finally ready to try and get this puppy off the ground.

Our Kickstarter will get us the capital we need to buy equipment and bulk supplies for all of our experiments.

Kickstarter Link

Come take a look, share with your online friends, buy a set of kits, it's all good, anything you can do would be huge help.

Our Website
Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 PM

Very cool, Cheesesteak! I love the concept.
I'm figuring out which level to back with, since I don't have kids..but I might just pick up some of the experiments to play with myself.

I did share it on Facebook - I have a bunch of friends with kids in your target age group..and some teacher friends.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Great! Glad I stumbled across this, I never come to the Marketplace

I keep wanting to buy a kit for my nieces and I've got smarty friends with kids so maybe they will buy some too!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Thank you! I really appreciate it, this kickstarter thing is nerve wracking...
Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 PM

Pledged/kicked/whatever it's called, as promised!
I hope you hit your goal - looking forward to seeing it.

I noticed two of my friends on Facebook shared my post, so hopefully you get a little bit out of that, too!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Awesome, thank you!

It's slow going so far, but hopefully will pick up steam and get more public notice.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:00 AM

Pledged!

I've been recruited to be the Official Science Adviser for my nephew. He's only 2 now, but I want to be prepared. I think these will really come in handy a few years from now, and look like a lot of fun.

BTW, don't get too worried if and when there are only a few days left and you haven't quite reached the threshold. There's always a huge last-minute boost for some reason. Still, don't forget to "advertise."
Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 AM

I have shared the campaign, but can't pledge today. Or wait - does the money come out right away, or when the campaign is over?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Nope! I said stop!

Very nice! Just pledged- by the way your "Professional Level" says $25 but auto-fills $35 and doesn't let you do it at $35. Might want to fix that.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I just checked Kickstarter's FAQ, and the money is only charged after the campaign is over and successful, but they may run something through your card to check that it's valid.

Quote:
When is my card charged?

If the project you’re backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged.

If you've backed a project that's still live and you're seeing a charge on your bank statement, it's likely a temporary authorization of funds. The time it takes for an authorization to clear depends on the bank, but typically takes 1–3 days. You won't be charged for your pledge until the project you backed has ended successfully.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I just checked Kickstarter's FAQ, and the money is only charged after the campaign is over and successful, but they may run something through your card to check that it's valid.
Awesome, thank you!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 AM

By the way, I love the logo.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 AM

I like this and wish I'd known about it this summer. I'd be really, really, really interested in subscribing to monthly service where you'd send a new experiment every month (kind of like those beauty boxes). ESPECIALLY, if I could pick and choose which one would come each month so that it would tie in at least somewhat with what my kid has just learned in school.

How much effort do you spend in making sure the experiments work as designed and that the instructions are foolproof?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Dopers, if you visited and didn't see any boxes you liked, take another look, we've added some new options, small kits and big kits that may suit you better.

grayhairedmomma, there are already a number of companies that do monthly services, we're purposefully going a different direction, and likely won't go the subscription route in the future. I know of Kiwi Crate, STEM Box and Steve Spangler as people who do subscriptions. Personally, I feel that the model is very costly, a lot of packaging and shipping is necessary, we're going more for usability in group activities (like a birthday party) that require a low cost per kit.

We are VERY serious about the experiments working as designed. We've had too much trouble with other kits that appear like they should work, but need fine tuning to make it happen.

With a focus on group activity, we've tried to condense each experiment into a single primary concept that can be repeated and adjusted, rather than 3-5 different experiments using many of the same parts. We've also re-designed each experiment multiple times to make sure it works.

Any experiments that remain a bit fiddly, we're going to offer simpler versions as an option. Like using tablets instead of powdered chemicals, or a kit including only one design of paper airplane, so they can try the same design 4 times instead of getting 4 different designs to be frustrated over.

In our booklets, we're generally setting aside 3 pages for instructions and follow-on exploration, 1 page for science history and 2 pages for science education. If we manage to get everything in using less space than that, we would throw in a game, word search, connect the dots, etc.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
grayhairedmomma, there are already a number of companies that do monthly services, we're purposefully going a different direction, and likely won't go the subscription route in the future. I know of Kiwi Crate, STEM Box and Steve Spangler as people who do subscriptions. Personally, I feel that the model is very costly, a lot of packaging and shipping is necessary, we're going more for usability in group activities (like a birthday party) that require a low cost per kit.
Oh, that's a bummer but thanks for the tips on the other services. It's too bad they're not quite what I'm looking for either. I donated to your campaign and emailed the link around, good luck to you!