View Poll Results: What word is being said?
Laurel 114 49.57%
Yanny 104 45.22%
Yes, the film Big DID have a different ending 12 5.22%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

This is "Laurel".
Just like that dress was Black and Blue.
YES, some sensor-impaired humans may perceive it as something different, but like the dress color, there is an objective truth.
The dress WAS black and Blue.
This sound IS "Laurel"
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I hear nothing but "Laurel" there. I can't even get my ears to hear "Yanny."
Same here. How does anyone hear a "n" sound in that???

ETA: Had not heard about this until this morning, and was listening to NPR as I was driving around. So, if it makes a difference, I heard it on my car sound system. But absolutely nothing that sounded anything even close to "Yanni".

Last edited by John Mace; Yesterday at 12:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

One other thing. The NPR host was interviewing the guy whose voice it was, and he said in no uncertain terms that he was saying "Laurel". So how is it that we who hear "Laurel" are the ones not hearing it right?
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Same here. How does anyone hear a "n" sound in that??
I guess it's in the high frequencies. Like I said later in the thread, I managed to get it to sound like "Yanny" to me and it was really uncanny (and rhymed with it.) Truly bizarre stuff, because when I heard it as "yanny" it sounded, clear as day, like "yanny" rhymes with "fanny." And it made no sense to me how or why I heard "Laurel" before, but I haven't been able to reproduce the effect since that one time I was walking outside listening to my iPhone. I can't "will" myself to hear "yanny" like others here can. It was just that one time where I heard "yanny" and I really thought the sound sample were swapped or something for a moment, but they weren't.
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
The dress WAS black and Blue.
Ah, but the actual colors you see on the screen were objectively blue-ish white and a mustard/gold color, not black. The dress itself may have been black and blue, but those were not the actual colors in the picture, so it's difficult to say who is "right." I could make a sheet of white paper look blue in a photo quite easily, and if I ask "what color is the paper?" I would say both answers are correct. When the exposure and color balance are off, it's difficult to ascertain the original colors.
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Well, I listened to it from the link above and clearly heard Yanni. Today I was listening to the radio in my car and NPR did a story about this. It was very distinctly Laurel.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The only way I could hear "laurel" was through the NY Times interactive tool.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...el-debate.html
If I put it in neutral, I hear "Laurel", clear as day. If I slide it all the way to the "Yanni" end, I hear what sounds like "Gary" being spoken by someone with an Israeli accent.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I guess it's in the high frequencies. Like I said later in the thread, I managed to get it to sound like "Yanny" to me and it was really uncanny (and rhymed with it.) Truly bizarre stuff, because when I heard it as "yanny" it sounded, clear as day, like "yanny" rhymes with "fanny." And it made no sense to me how or why I heard "Laurel" before, but I haven't been able to reproduce the effect since that one time I was walking outside listening to my iPhone. I can't "will" myself to hear "yanny" like others here can. It was just that one time where I heard "yanny" and I really thought the sound sample were swapped or something for a moment, but they weren't.
After listening to it a bunch, I can switch back and forth at will.

I liken it to being able to pick a voice out of a crowd. If you are trying to hear your friend at a crowded restaurant, you can filter out the noise and hear just his voice, even if the amount of noise is greater than the voice. There's a bunch of noise in there, and there is just a bit of signal.

Most of the time, I hear "Laurel" spoken by a male voice, the rest is noise that is filtered out by my brain. But, if before listening, I picture someone younger, and maybe even sneering a bit to get the nasal overtones, I hear "Yanny", and the parts that are not Yanny get filtered out as noise.

Last edited by k9bfriender; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
Old Today, 04:11 AM

Note the origin of this soundclip:
"One detail may frustrate some and vindicate others: The original clip came from the vocabulary.com page for “laurel,” the word for a wreath worn on the head, “usually a symbol of victory.”"

IT

IS

LAUREL

!!

(Which , when played using horridly malfunctioning sound filters / ears / minds / sound equipment, can be distorted to sound like ghjinnaaai ((which some silly people then translate as Yanni)))

Last edited by MarvinKitFox; Today at 04:13 AM.
Old Today, 04:48 AM

Well that's us told.

In an odd live version of this, I did a concert last week with a baritone soloist I hadn't worked with before, and in rehearsals several of us noticed that his voice had some very odd overtones that, even across the room, made it sound like there was a second, higher voice singing different vowel sounds simultaneously, much in the way that a low "Laurel" produces a high "Yanni". At first I thought he was just making something in the room resonate but it happened again in a different venue. Oddly (and perhaps fortunately) it didn't happen in the actual performance that I was able to hear. Mind you, it'll be on the radio this week so I'll have a listen and let you know.

When asked (diplomatically) about his singing style he mentioned letting the sound "resonate in the mask" (that is, the bones of the sinus areas above and below the eyes), which is in itself common practice, but I've never heard this effect achieved before and it wasn't clear whether the singer was aware that he was doing it. And I wasn't going to tell him...
Old Today, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Ah, but the actual colors you see on the screen were objectively blue-ish white and a mustard/gold color, not black. The dress itself may have been black and blue, but those were not the actual colors in the picture, so it's difficult to say who is "right." I could make a sheet of white paper look blue in a photo quite easily, and if I ask "what color is the paper?" I would say both answers are correct. When the exposure and color balance are off, it's difficult to ascertain the original colors.
There are objective realities in these sorts of things, at least two of them: what the actual object that is being represented is; and the physical characteristics of its (be it a picture or a sound clip) representation. What we are hearing/looking at is not the object but its representation. "This is not a pipe."

We can measure the wavelengths of the stripes in the picture of the dress and the sound spectra of the word clip, but the subjective experience, the experienced reality by the viewer/listener, happens internally as the result of processing and classification in a top-down/bottom-up dance. These are unintentional ambiguous figure-ground illusions in which some only see one as figure, some only the other, and some can flip.

The question is what level this occurs at. How much is who has lost some high pitched hearing, how much is how trained one is at filtering out noise from signal, how much is top-down mechanisms and from what level. Do musicians hear this clip differently than those with little musical training for example? Do people raised in say Japan, or some other very different language cultures, hear this on average differently?
Old Today, 11:59 AM

I hear Laurel on the original, and all three files on the SPIN column - even the one they say is Yanny.

On the NYTimes page, the slider works for me, but it goes rather far to the right before it changes.

As it approaches the right, I first start to hear "Gary" before it settles to "Yammy". I don't hear an n, I distinctly hear m's.

Sliding back the other direction, it will stay "Yammy" closer to the middle than when I start in the middle, showing how the brain filters based on expectations.

Yes, the original voice said Laurel, and the sound file is intended to say Laurel and laurel is a word. That doesn't change what some people hear, which is the result of the brain processing files that have been distorted through some string of electronic audio devices and ears.