Old 05-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Nearly tripped over a rattlesnake

I went down to check the water levels in my pasture troughs and nearly stepped on a 2' timber rattler. He was slowly meandering across my top paddock. I threw a stick at him, hoping to get him to move faster, but he just coiled up in the tall grass by the fence and rattled at me.

I brought the dogs in - his path would've taken him close to the fence for the back yard. I'll have to watch where I step.

StG
Old 05-21-2018, 04:03 PM

I've been in that type of situation a couple of times.

It can be 80 degrees outside, but hearing a rattle is enough to make a man break out in a cold sweat.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:11 PM

I was hiking up in the Sierras once and found a big rattler in the middle of the path. I decided to go the other way around the rock.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I've been in that type of situation a couple of times.

It can be 80 degrees outside, but hearing a rattle is enough to make a man break out in a cold sweat.
Cheaper than running the air conditioner!
Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Holy shmokes! You're right Flyer, that's a sound to make you break into a cold sweat. Like a rifle cocking or a big cat roar.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM

If you check Gato's recent thread, someone found antivenin for $200. I don't know how far you are from medical help, but would it be worth keeping some around?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Sunny Daze - I work for a company that distributes Crofab, which is the antivenin for humans. Honestly, if I was bite I'd make my first call to 911, the second to the warehouse director's cell. He'd open it in the middle of the night for me. the local hospital probably has it, but I wouldn't take any chances.

StG
Old 05-21-2018, 05:00 PM

Good.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Yep, snake season is upon us.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Antivenin. I just learned a new word today, cool!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Nasty Bastards!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I suspect it is far more foolhardiness than bravery, but when I hear a rattle I immediately get excited and think - "Cool! Rattlesnake!" . Of course even I'm pretty careful to look around cautiously before deciding where to put my feet next.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-21-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I definitely saw the snake before he saw me. Here's a pic of a snake killed in a back yard this week, 2 counties away. Mine was much smaller - only about 2', and about the diameter of a garden hose.

StG
Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 AM

We relocate sneks from around our house (where they eat our friends, the toads) to the woods. Last summer my gf ran to get a feed sack while I kept my eye on a big black rat snake. When she returned, I went to grab him. He rattled. Scared the crap out of both of us for a second, then I grabbed him.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I have a black snake that live in my shed walls. Huge guy - probably at least 6', although I never see the whole snake at once. But he's a good guy and welcome to eat the rodents in the shed where I keep my wood pellets. I didn't know about toads. I like toads.

StG
Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 AM

I know they can cause death, but how often do they? Are they all that dangerous as the hype of old westerns?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM

I killed one, once. Held its head down with a stick and I cut its head off. Damn thing was in my way.

It was a cool summer morning, so he wasn’t moving too fast. Lucky for me. Wish I’d kept some of its parts, but I let the guys I was with have them.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

rattlesnakes only kill about 8 people a year in the US, but that's because people get treatment. Still, it's dangerous, painful and very unpleasant.

StG
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

List of people killed by snakes in the United States.

Last edited by Biotop; 05-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
rattlesnakes only kill about 8 people a year in the US, but that's because people get treatment. Still, it's dangerous, painful and very unpleasant.

StG
Yep. Compare that with India where there are more venomous snakes, their venom is nasty, and medical care is lagging. Yearly there are (on average) 46,000 deaths due to venomous snake bites.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM

I used to live in the Texas Gulf Coast outback, prime habitat for large and venomous snakes.

One time I was heading to the back door from the driveway with a big bag of groceries, when something as I was striding made me look down. I was on the verge of stepping on a very large, evil-looking legless reptile. Why it had coiled there on the sidewalk was a mystery.

I herded it towards the bayou and had almost had gotten it there when it reared up in a most unfriendly way.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Dylan McWilliams wasn't killed, but he was bitten by a shark, a bear, and a rattlesnake all within a 4 year time span.

"Who is someone I'd never vacation with, Alex?"
Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM

I fully expect to be excoriated for this, but I'll admit I just kill them on site these day. If I can see them, they are too close. Too much shit to go wrong if they are around.

Funny thing about them: Cut their filthy little heads off, and they try to bite and the heart beats for what seems like an impossible amount of time afterwards. Like, an hour or more. Fucking Creepy!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I've only ever had them killed if they were in my yard, because the dogs are in danger. Pastures are their place. And horses are in less danger.

StG
Old 05-22-2018, 12:30 PM

My family owned a huge ranch in the mountains of Central Utah (extended family, had since .ca. 1900, sold to the State in 1980s). It was absolutely infested with huge Western Diamondbacks; rarely did we spend a few days there wasn't at least one rattler spotted and killed. My two-year-old sister fell on top of a huge monster -- luckily it wasn't warmed up yet and didn't strike. My dad shot and killed it, of course.

I have a fascination-terror relationship with venomous snakes. I read a lot about them and have evolved from "kill it dead!" to a more concerned stance that rattlers, especially Timbers, are becoming or are endangered. There's (some) evidence they are smarter and more social than thought.

This said, I don't fault anyone for killing dangerous snakes near homes. I'd prefer to see them relocated, but I know how scary they are. What repulses me are the "round ups" where thousands of rattlers are captured and basically tortured for entertainment.

The only rattler I've encountered in the wild since our ranch was one hidden in So Cal sagebrush that my dog started a fight with. Lord on High, there's nothing like that buzz to make one's hair stand on end.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Funny thing about them: Cut their filthy little heads off, and they try to bite and the heart beats for what seems like an impossible amount of time afterwards. Like, an hour or more. Fucking Creepy!
Reptiles and amphibians are pretty wild. In a college physiology lab I remember dissecting a live/pithed turtle, removing its heart, then doing hours of experiments on the beating heart.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Dylan McWilliams wasn't killed, but he was bitten by a shark, a bear, and a rattlesnake all within a 4 year time span.

"Who is someone I'd never vacation with, Alex?"
Are you kidding? I wouldn't venture into the woods without him! He's the ultimate 2nd party to the old joke that ends "I don't have to outrun the bear/snake/shark; I just have to outrun you."
Old 05-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I suspect it is far more foolhardiness than bravery, but when I hear a rattle I immediately get excited and think - "Cool! Rattlesnake!" . Of course even I'm pretty careful to look around cautiously before deciding where to put my feet next.
Yeah, same here. If I ever encountered a rattler, my curiosity would likely override my fear.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:12 PM

My mother was rattled at by a snake in the woods when she was a teenager. She's had a snake phobia ever since.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:10 PM

It's definitely rattlesnake season here in the Sacramento Valley and surrounding foothills. Grew up in the foothills encountered quite a few. Killed one in my garage with a shovel. Took his head off. I was probably 16 yo. Somewhere I have a picture of me holding a dead, headless, 3 ft rattler.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
If you read through this list, it's noteworthy that in all the deaths from snakebites in the most recent entries have been almost half snake handlers being bitten during a religious service, and then refusing medical attention afterwards. Stupid fuckers.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I definitely saw the snake before he saw me. Here's a pic of a snake killed in a back yard this week, 2 counties away.
I am going nowhere near there. Ever.

Ecosystem schmecosystem, nuke it from orbit.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

See this innocent-looking trash can and recycle bucket? Imagine my surprise when a buzzing sound erupted when I stepped up to toss a coke can in. Look close and you can see a rattler between the can and the white bucket.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
See this innocent-looking trash can and recycle bucket? Imagine my surprise when a buzzing sound erupted when I stepped up to toss a coke can in. Look close and you can see a rattler between the can and the white bucket.
Lucky you didn't kick the bucket!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:45 AM

I've never seen a timber rattlesnake in Missouri or Kansas, though I spend plenty of time on rocky hillsides where they must be. I've seen multiple copperheads and lots of non-venomous snakes. I scared an Eastern Yellow Bellied Racer off the trail a few weeks ago, first time I had seen one. He rattled his tail in the leaves but he wasn't fooling me.

A house I used to live in had a ton of little ringneck snakes in the yard, those were neat. Unfortunately mowed over several as they would hunt in clumps of grass or piles of leaves. That house had a black snake living in the basement too. It had an old rock foundation, and every once in a while we'd find a shed skin on top of it. Never saw the snake, though.

I've never killed a snake, but if I found a venemous one under my shed or in the woodpile hunting ground squirrels for example, I would have to consider it. I have a 2 year-old to think about. If it was just the older ones I'd probably just tell them to stay away.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 05-23-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Yep. Compare that with India where there are more venomous snakes, their venom is nasty, and medical care is lagging. Yearly there are (on average) 46,000 deaths due to venomous snake bites.
More scary snake news from India. Woman bitten by viper, then she nursed her infant. Both died.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion, education, early in life is the way to deal with snakes.While in the nuke it from orbit or total fear, anyone near you i in grave danger.
Amazing numbers of people kill or kill others when a bee or wasp gets into a car in motion.
Pays to know who you are riding with.
Wasp in a small Cessna . He was going to kill us all. I objected to that...... violently.

Your reaction may vary....
Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

How could the mother not have known she was bitten?

StG
Old 05-26-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:

StG
Small viper, small teeth, maybe barefoot walking on rough ground where an occasional pinch is ignored? How do people not know a tick has bitten?
Old 05-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
If you read through this list, it's noteworthy that in all the deaths from snakebites in the most recent entries have been almost half snake handlers being bitten during a religious service, and then refusing medical attention afterwards. Stupid fuckers.
Some years ago I read in a herp magazine an article about venomous snake bites. It was written by an ER doc in Tucson; he said the most common factors were testosterone and alcohol and the most common bite location was the thumb.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I definitely saw the snake before he saw me. Here's a pic of a snake killed in a back yard this week, 2 counties away. Mine was much smaller - only about 2', and about the diameter of a garden hose.

StG
The guy is holding the snake towards the camera on a stick. Perspective, it's not nearly as large as the photo makes it appear.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
She was asleep, probably rolled over on it or something. The snake was unidentified as it escaped, but more likely than not it was a krait. A small one is like a small coral snake - it won't be much of a bite, but if it injects much venom you'll gradually start suffering neurotoxic effects. From the above link:

Kraits are nocturnal, so seldom encounter humans during daylight hours; incidents occur mainly at night. Frequently, little or no pain occurs from a krait bite, and this can provide false reassurance to the victim. Typically, victims complain of severe abdominal cramps, accompanied by progressive paralysis. If death occurs, it takes place about four to eight hours after the krait bite. Cause of death is general respiratory failure, i.e. suffocation.

If she had been bit by something like a Russell's viper or Saw-scaled viper she'd almost certainly have known almost immediately, because she'd start suffering massive tissue damage.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-26-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:31 PM

I've always been fascinated by this story. Helluva way to go: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bruno_Slowinski
Old 05-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

"I knew Mrs. Viper when she didn't have a pit to hiss in." --Roy Blount, Jr.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
I've always been fascinated by this story. Helluva way to go: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bruno_Slowinski
It was worse, really. Met him once( twice? ) - he seemed like a pleasant enough guy. It was a truly unnecessary, careless loss. But then so many are - nobody keeps their guard up 24/7. Even in the most dangerous, high pressure situations, habituation leads to casualness, which leads to fuck-ups.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

As an addendum to the snake story. Yesterday my neighbors' Great Pyrenees was bitten on the face by a rattlesnake, possible the same one I saw - it was heading East from my pasture into their front field. It looks like the dog will make it, although it was touch and go. She's calling me at 8:30 at night asking what to do. I told her to take the dog tot he emergency vet, but start him on benedryl first, so her airway hopefully wouldn't close up. She said, "yeah, she's having trouble breathing". YOU DON"T CALL YOUR NEIGHBOR WHEN YOUR DOG IS STRUGGLING TO BREATHE!!!

StG
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
It was worse, really. Met him once( twice? ) - he seemed like a pleasant enough guy. It was a truly unnecessary, careless loss. But then so many are - nobody keeps their guard up 24/7. Even in the most dangerous, high pressure situations, habituation leads to casualness, which leads to fuck-ups.
THANK YOU for this link! This is the article that got me interested in Slowinski but I couldn't remember where I originally saw it.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 AM

Found a Coral snake in the parking lot at work yesterday. He was trying to cross it but apparently the grip sucked or something because he would move around a lot, but not go anywhere.

I honestly thought he was fake (my office is above a pediatrician, thought it was a toy that fell out of a van or something) but he was definitely real. I ended up getting a stick under him and throwing him into the bushes. We all initially thought he was a milk snake, but upon further review, he was a coral.

I didn't even know those lived in Florida, much less in my work's parking lot.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
As an addendum to the snake story. Yesterday my neighbors' Great Pyrenees was bitten on the face by a rattlesnake, possible the same one I saw - it was heading East from my pasture into their front field. It looks like the dog will make it, although it was touch and go. She's calling me at 8:30 at night asking what to do. I told her to take the dog tot he emergency vet, but start him on benedryl first, so her airway hopefully wouldn't close up. She said, "yeah, she's having trouble breathing". YOU DON"T CALL YOUR NEIGHBOR WHEN YOUR DOG IS STRUGGLING TO BREATHE!!!

StG
My lab got bit in my encounter with the rattler in So Cal (see above). Fortunately, it was a pretty dry strike -- his head was swollen for a few days. I entertain the idea that another lab, who went to bed healthy and lived just a few hours in the morning after awakening, was bit by a venomous snake. We were surrounded by a vast and wild meadow/forest in New Jersey and her symptoms matched envenomation.

My brother is with Arizona Fish and Game and is responsible, amongst other duties, for surveying abandoned mines for bat activity and recommending how a mine opening should be sealed to keep humans out and allow bats in and out. He's out in the field most weeks and takes his dogs, who attended snake aversion classes so they can be reliably called off if they go after a venomous critter.

Bro has some amazing footage of rattlers hanging from mine ceilings and nabbing bats mid-air. And, as well, some harrowing stories of encounters with drug runners, smugglers, and crazies out in the deserts. His department arms him and encourages taking the doggies with him for another layer of support.

He also monitors the spread of white nose disease amongst bats and fungal snake disease (which is similar). Bro may well have one of the coolest jobs ever.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Found a Coral snake in the parking lot at work yesterday. He was trying to cross it but apparently the grip sucked or something because he would move around a lot, but not go anywhere.

I honestly thought he was fake (my office is above a pediatrician, thought it was a toy that fell out of a van or something) but he was definitely real. I ended up getting a stick under him and throwing him into the bushes. We all initially thought he was a milk snake, but upon further review, he was a coral.

I didn't even know those lived in Florida, much less in my work's parking lot.
Red touching yellow, kill a fellow?