Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM

imSynt-usage videos

So... a bit more than six months after publishing, my app (imSynt) still hasn't gained very much traction. Nevertheless, I've been busy working on it, improving it steadily. I've:

1. Changed the way the colors are displayed (full screen)
2. Modified the sound-rendering engine (both MIDI and Pure Data are available now)
3. Made the music polyphonic, for MIDI at least
4. Added a couple of videos that show how to work it (English here, Spanish with a bit of shaky-cam here)

I've also hunted down and killed innumerable bugs and other types of misbehaviour by my app, etc.

Still to come:

1. Google+ and Facebook sharing
2. Versions for other platforms
3. Diverse improvements

So, if you already looked at it, look again! I think the app is much improved. Also: if you can leave some comment on Google Play or here, I'd be very grateful.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 AM

What's it do?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 AM

It takes an image and transforms its pixels (by vertical lines, left to right) into notes. Depending on the configuration, it assigns each of the notes to an instrument and plays it.

You can configure:

1. What part of the image you want to "play"
2. What instruments you want to use, and what "range" of colors you want them to respond to
3. The pitch and speed of said instruments

You can also send them via e-mail and anyone with the app installed can play them back. I linked to a couple of videos that show how it works in the OP but I'll gladly do so again:

The best one (not showing usage, though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTX9UA_ssVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs-RoafXHi8

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TBAMkygfs
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 AM

If you don't mind, I can test it with Bluestacks (the Android emulator for Windows) and see how well it works. I've been wanting to have an excuse to try that emulator.

Ultimately, in the future. I'd suggest that you make the app capable of running completely on Facebook (and Google+ if that's possible), without any need for an Android device. Essentially you'd have two different apps, one on mobile and one not, that could talk to each other. Then you'd be like a lot of professional Facebook apps.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM

I have many, many ideas and/or plans for my apps. Trouble is: I'm just one dude and implementing them takes time

What I thought I might make is a bit different from what you're proposing: I have been meaning to dig into Google's documentation for their Chrome app store to see how I could distribute a desktop version of my app.

A Facebook version would pe problematic (as far as I can tell) because it would basically be a Web version, and as far as I can tell, there's still a lot of barriers to use hardware devices, i.e. MIDI, on the client's computer.

But we'll see