Old 04-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Super-premium ice cream brands

Just had a new one, "High Road", and it was AMAZING -- maybe the best store bought ice cream I've ever had. Had the Super Chocolate and Strawberry flavors, and they were both great. What are some other great ice cream brands that I might not have heard of? I'd never heard of this one until I saw it at the store today.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:49 PM

I hate you. Why do you do these things to torment me?

(Bunny Tracks, that's all I'm saying)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:50 PM

ive always wanted to try that magnum ice cream just to see if its worth 4.00 a stick (they have a fw single "pop" versions at a few convenience stores by me )
Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
ive always wanted to try that magnum ice cream just to see if its worth 4.00 a stick (they have a fw single "pop" versions at a few convenience stores by me )
Those Magnum things are not good. Cheap icecream pops are better. IMO. I like cheap icecream sandwiches too. I'm just cheap, I guess.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
I like the magnum double caramel bars quite a bit. Not so much because the ice cream is particularly good (it's good, just not special, IMO), but because of the unusual construction -- vanilla ice cream, then chocolate, then caramel, then chocolate again on the outside. Very tasty.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 PM

The best gelato I've had isn't available at a store, it's from a gelato place which also sells large-ish containers you can take home. You might want to see if your local ice cream/gelato places do that too.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I like the magnum double caramel bars quite a bit. Not so much because the ice cream is particularly good (it's good, just not special, IMO), but because of the unusual construction -- vanilla ice cream, then chocolate, then caramel, then chocolate again on the outside. Very tasty.
Again? You're evil. Now maybe I will have to try them again
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Again? You're evil. Now maybe I will have to try them again
No, better to just imagine it. Dream about it, even. Right?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:59 PM

I think Talenti is pretty good. I like the containers, the lids screw on, which makes it slightly easier to not treat it as a single serving.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
+1 on this and Talentii gelato. The raspberry Magnum bars are a little less sweet, but they're really good, too.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

I've tried a few Talenti and the container is the best part
Old 04-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Yes. I save the containers to put my own homemade ice cream in.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I live in California. While I was in Columbus OH at a convention I discovered the joy of Jeni's Salted Caramel ice cream, and fell in love with it to the point that when I found it at a local upscale supermarket for $12.95 a pint, I bought one. Twice.

Haven't bought any for a while, but damn that stuff is good. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to at my convention this year.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Concur. I keep stopping at that section of the freezer - I want another one of those fucking containers! - but move on without buying. None of the offered flavors interests me.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I live in California. While I was in Columbus OH at a convention I discovered the joy of Jeni's Salted Caramel ice cream, and fell in love with it to the point that when I found it at a local upscale supermarket for $12.95 a pint, I bought one. Twice.

Haven't bought any for a while, but damn that stuff is good. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to at my convention this year.
I live in Columbus so I see this on sale sometimes. I like it but not that much. Jeni was on an episode of some Youtube show where food experts do blind taste tests. She had to pick out which ice cream was more expensive. I thought it was pretty interesting.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 AM

I found these guys to have excellent products (I had the praline crunch and the creole cream cheese).

https://neworleansicecream.com/
Old 04-22-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I live here in Columbus and Jeni's would be my answer. I'm not a big fan of the salted caramel but it is one of her signature flavors that the brand has become known for. Right now one of my favorites is the cream puff pint. The pistachio and honey is also superb. The Queen City Cayenne is also really nice with the kick of the cayenne pepper on the back of the throat. :-)

They do online orders with shipping. :-)

MeanJoe
Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
The best gelato I've had isn't available at a store, it's from a gelato place which also sells large-ish containers you can take home. You might want to see if your local ice cream/gelato places do that too.
Pfft. I make my own gelato better and cheapter at home.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Pfft. I make my own gelato better and cheapter at home.
Yes, but is it milk from cows and goats that you raised from birth?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:21 PM

Now here's a topic I could talk about all day!
Talenti's new layered gelatos are good and novel
Big Gay Ice Cream is starting to become widely available and the one I tried was really good (American Globs)
Tasty launched their own pints and they are not good, esp for the price

To this day one of my favorite ice creams of ALL TIME is the fancy store brand from HEB, but alas HEB is a chain that doesn't exist in California
Old 04-22-2019, 03:39 PM

When I was in high school I worked at an ice cream shop that served Sedutto’s. That’s the best I’ve ever had, and the reason I rarely eat ice cream today. I just did a search and saw the brand has resurfaced in NYC. I’ll have to stop in and see if it’s the same as I remember.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:42 PM

I ran into a store brand "bourbon butter pecan" - that will change your world.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I ran into a store brand "bourbon butter pecan" - that will change your world.
Is that Kroger/Private Selection? I really like their store brand too! Some people don't like the texture but to me it tastes like frozen whipped cream. Their Salted Caramel Truffle is excellent.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
Is that Kroger/Private Selection? I really like their store brand too! Some people don't like the texture but to me it tastes like frozen whipped cream. Their Salted Caramel Truffle is excellent.
yes - yes it is.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
I live here in Columbus and Jeni's would be my answer. I'm not a big fan of the salted caramel but it is one of her signature flavors that the brand has become known for. Right now one of my favorites is the cream puff pint. The pistachio and honey is also superb. The Queen City Cayenne is also really nice with the kick of the cayenne pepper on the back of the throat. :-)

They do online orders with shipping. :-)

MeanJoe
Speaking of the Queen City (around which I live), the best ice cream on the planet just might be Graeter's, particularly their black raspberry chip. They ship dry ice packed ice cream across the globe. Get some!

https://www.graeters.com/
Old 04-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Gelato Fiasco! Their best flavors are only available locally (Portland and Brunswick, Maine; I think they also have a place in Florida), but Publix carries a decent selection.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

If you ever find yourself in Cicero IL stop in at Freddy's and get some gelato - it's made in house and it's amazing
Old 04-23-2019, 01:04 PM

If you can find it (they sell it at Target up here) try a pint of Graeter's. At almost 50 years old, and having only tried it for the first time less than 6 months ago, I can honestly say it's easily the best ice cream I have ever had.
They make it in Cincinnati and use some special 'french pot' method which makes it very dense. The stuff is incredible.
I'd be curious for some others to try it and post what they think of it here.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:21 PM

Ok. Enough. Now I'm crying. I want good ice-cream. Why is the universe against me?
Edys used to have a fudge-chocolate that was not safe around me.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Oh yeah Graeter's is excellent. Their Cheese Crown ice cream is some of the best I've ever had. It's like mixing a perfect cheese danish into rich custardy vanilla ice cream. Too bad they stopped selling it at their shops in Illinois
Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Graeter's mint chocolate chip is amazing!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Speaking of the Queen City (around which I live), the best ice cream on the planet just might be Graeter's, particularly their black raspberry chip. They ship dry ice packed ice cream across the globe. Get some!

https://www.graeters.com/
I like it. But I'd like it better if the chocolate chunks weren't so big. Some are like more than one bite big. But the ice cream? Excellent.

In my memory, though, the best ice cream I ever had was the strawberry ice cream I had at the Ohio State Fair when I was about 14 and on a family vacation to see my mom's folks.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:47 AM

Most times I buy the Kirkland super premium vanilla ice cream which is a relabel of the Humboldt Farms vanilla ice cream. Super rich, real vanilla, creamy night and day, and throw in my own mixins.

Quote:

Type out Jeni's in google and they have stores here in California. I've bought from them.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJA View Post

Type out Jeni's in google and they have stores here in California. I've bought from them.
I'm guessing you're not from California (though to be fair, I didn't say which part I'm from). Driving from the Bay Area to Los Angeles for ice cream is a bit far, even for Jeni's.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
Private Selection Chocolate Ganache is one of the best chocolate ice creams I've ever had. Also it goes on sale on a regular basis. Last week I bought a 48 oz. container for $1.99 with a digital coupon. What a deal!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I think Talenti is pretty good. I like the containers, the lids screw on, which makes it slightly easier to not treat it as a single serving.
Those Talenti containers are a great marketing device! For a guy like me it's very useful to be able to justify buying expensive gelato with the rationale that the containers are just so damn handy for kitchen and workshop storage.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I like it. But I'd like it better if the chocolate chunks weren't so big. Some are like more than one bite big. But the ice cream? Excellent.

In my memory, though, the best ice cream I ever had was the strawberry ice cream I had at the Ohio State Fair when I was about 14 and on a family vacation to see my mom's folks.
I kinda agree, although the chocolate they use is so damn good that I tend to just work around the larger chocolate chunks until the luscious ice cream is gone then eat them. Their coconut ice cream is unreal too if you like that flavor.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
+1 on this and Talentii gelato. The raspberry Magnum bars are a little less sweet, but they're really good, too.
I am not sure what to think of a gelato maker who doesn't make stracciatella.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing you're not from California (though to be fair, I didn't say which part I'm from). Driving from the Bay Area to Los Angeles for ice cream is a bit far, even for Jeni's.
SoCal. The good part. Buuuuuuuuuuuut if you're from SF, I don't know why you're bringing up Jeni's. Lol There's some amazing ice cream places in SF or even the bay area as a whole. Plus amazing donuts.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I'm guessing you're hoping the High Speed Rail comes to fruition?