Old 08-09-2019, 06:54 AM

"SamuelA" Taken to Task

Quote:
I had a thought the other day. If you're an oppressed minority, perpetually subject to discrimination, and you look the same as the people oppressing you, there's an obvious thing to try.

Just convert to the dominant culture, and teach your children it's mannerisms. Marry off your children into the dominant culture's families. In a generation or 2, nobody will know the difference.
So, your "solution" is for minorities to forsake their cultural identities; indeed, their ENTIRE culture, in order to blend into a hostile, Fascist dominant group and basically hide there?!

What is wrong with you?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:05 AM

"B" for effort, but your assignment is late, so I'm afraid your grade is "D+" for this paper.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:05 AM

That's a surprisingly honest and common position that a lot of whites have, even if they don't necessarily consider themselves racist. In fact, I would submit that it comes from a place consciously avoiding racism. The assumption on his part isn't that non-whites are different and should therefore be separated from white society; rather, it's that they're different but they can be "white" like us, so why don't they just whiten up? People like SamA probably don't recognize the subconscious racism of suggesting that people give up their own culture in exchange for being whiter.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 AM

They could try being Irish or Italian for awhile. Just to see if they like it.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:22 AM

I remember reading that which was quoted in the OP. That's the most counter productive advice since Bobby Knight's "Lie back and enjoy it" bit.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:25 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Didn't the Ainu and other minorities ("Eta" and Koreans) in Japan already try Sam's "advice" to no avail. When I lived in Japan, there were outfits hiring out to investigate someone's prospective spouse to make sure they were "really Japanese".
Old 08-09-2019, 08:37 AM

Link to the quote?

Also, he's still suspended. Why not wait until he comes back before you start a new pit thread?

Last edited by cochrane; 08-09-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:44 AM

"Have you tried not being a mutant?"
Old 08-09-2019, 08:49 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Also, he's still suspended. Why not wait until he comes back before you start a new pit thread?
His suspension will be up tomorrow, so he doesn't have the opportunity to reply yet.

There's also an existing Pit thread that might be a better place for this.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=843654

Last edited by Colibri; 08-09-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
His suspension will be up tomorrow, so he doesn't have the opportunity to reply yet.
Breath baited.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Breath baited.
Are you chewing worms?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 AM

I am now.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
I didn't know that was an option. I'm white, but I wouldn't mind trying to be Hawaiian for a while. Now, am I correct in assuming there will be free transportation back to where I came from?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Yeah, here's a snorkel and flappy feet things. No charge.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Yeah, here's a snorkel and flappy feet things. No charge.
Hey, leave my mother-in-law* out of it.

*) Sorry, Carol. Nothing personal, it's just tradition.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
There's also an existing Pit thread that might be a better place for this.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=843654
Nah. That thread was getting overloaded with stuff unrelated to the reason the OP pitted him. And after the threads get to a certain size, I think a lot of people tune out.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Nah. That thread was getting overloaded with stuff unrelated to the reason the OP pitted him. And after the threads get to a certain size, I think a lot of people tune out.
Nonsense! A great thread, like the one dedicated to pitting SamuelA, is like a long, magnificent river. As it meanders the great expanse of its many miles, its nature changes -- here a perhaps a rush of rapids, there a vast plain of slow-moving water -- but it is always the same water, always the same river. It's all connected, all dedicated to the singular purpose -- in the case of SamuelA -- to celebrating the breathtaking combination of vapid ignorance and oblivious arrogance that has created such a sensation. It's a shame not to keep it all in one place, if only for posterity, so that those who come after us may know what we have endured.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Nonsense! A great thread, like the one dedicated to pitting SamuelA, is like a long, magnificent river. As it meanders the great expanse of its many miles, its nature changes -- here a perhaps a rush of rapids, there a vast plain of slow-moving water -- but it is always the same water, always the same river. It's all connected, all dedicated to the singular purpose -- in the case of SamuelA -- to celebrating the breathtaking combination of vapid ignorance and oblivious arrogance that has created such a sensation. It's a shame not to keep it all in one place, if only for posterity, so that those who come after us may know what we have endured.
The pre-Socratic Greek philosopher Heraclitus of Ephesus was quoted as saying, “You could never post twice in the same forum thread.” Or something like that.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
The pre-Socratic Greek philosopher Heraclitus of Ephesus was quoted as saying, “You could never post twice in the same forum thread.” Or something like that.
Heraclitus of Ephesuswas an ass. The whole length of a river is obviously the same river -- that's why it has the same name. I bet if I peed in his river and then asked Heraclitus to take a drink out if it, he'd sing a different tune. That's the problem with philosophy: it isn't practical. When Socrates learned that he was going to be put to death, his followers reminded him that he had proved that death, being a state of non-being, does not exist, and therefore nothing to be feared. According to the acclaimed historian Woody Allen, Socrates responded: "Hey listen -- I've proved a lot of things. That's how I pay my rent. Theories and little observations. A puckish remark now and then. Occasional maxims. It beats picking olives, but let's not get carried away." Philosophers! Bah! Forsooth!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
There may or may not be a certain snack-related activity going on, but I think you'll find that the thread is devoted laying scorn and derision upon Sammy.

On the other hand, there's no reason we can't have 2 threads. The man's a dangerous idiot.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:44 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
When I was a kid I wanted to be a Mbuti pygmy when I grew up, but my parents wouldn't let me.

Last edited by Colibri; 08-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Even more efficient - you could just take the kids when they're young and have them adopted by dominant culture families. Then they'll definitely become part of the dominant culture. There's no way that could possibly go wrong

I'm sure we could get President Xi to subscribe to Samuel's newsletter. Oh, wait, he already has...
Old 08-09-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Nonsense! A great thread, like the one dedicated to pitting SamuelA, is like a long, magnificent river. As it meanders the great expanse of its many miles, its nature changes -- here a perhaps a rush of rapids, there a vast plain of slow-moving water -- but it is always the same water, always the same river.
Nah, just a vortex going counter(?) clockwise down the ole draineroo.
Anyhowdy, I just don't have the unprotected and soon-to-get-wet enough dick (for doinkin the hot underage Lithuanian sluts) to engage in this thread in the capacity that I had hoped.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid I wanted to be a Mbuti pygmy when I grew up, but my parents wouldn't let me.
Just as well, if you were a pygmy you wouldn't have grown up anyway.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Nah, just a vortex going counter(?) clockwise down the ole draineroo.
Anyhowdy, I just don't have the unprotected and soon-to-get-wet enough dick (for doinkin the hot underage Lithuanian sluts) to engage in this thread in the capacity that I had hoped.
There you go. If you haven't read the other thread, you haven't experienced Sammy defending sex trafficking.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
There you go. If you haven't read the other thread, you haven't experienced Sammy defending sex trafficking.
I’d say he practically endorsed it.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Sex trafficking in an area infamous for underage prostitutes, no less.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post

Well, it is kind of amusing to see that twerp troll defend it with "But my contract requires me to do this!" Too bad he hasn't bothered to grok that his contract also requires him to report crimes he's aware of to the appropriate authorities.

Last edited by Monty; 08-09-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
My read on it, is, that when SamuelA realized he couldn't debate on a "scientific" level, he moved from demonstrating "expertise" in "engineering-based" issues and their solutions, to economic/govermental policy, then to more society/sociological issues, to then just whatever his mind burped out between his ears. The reason it was overloaded with stuff unrelated to the OP was because SamuelA drifted away from the OP's premise, as he was reaching for whatever self-aggrandizing topic he could. . .

It's still a great thread to read, if you understand that it's a train wreck in slow motion.

Tripler
It actually reads kind of entertainingly if you ignore SamuelA and just read all of the side conversations.

Last edited by Tripler; 08-09-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
So, your "solution" is for minorities to forsake their cultural identities; indeed, their ENTIRE culture, in order to blend into a hostile, Fascist dominant group and basically hide there?!

What is wrong with you?
Hi, Jasmine. I appreciate your honest and frank expression of your opinions. I can see from your perspective, especially if you start from an initial assumption that the poster is a (racist, sexist, Nazi, etc), that you might find this post of mine offensive.

This was not my intent.

I agree with you completely that a minority shouldn't have to forsake their culture. In any just world, that would never be necessary. People should stand up for their rights and band together and march for justice.

However, in this specific historical period, this was not the right time to do this. Sophie Scholl's fate is one of many.

In general, as an individual or minority group, if you find yourself facing an intolerant, hostile culture, your will get the best outcomes if you:
a. Move or b. Blend in. The optimal solution obviously depending on what options are available.

Standing up for your rights is the least likely to succeed, as laudable and heroic as it might be.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Wow. Your hiatus taught you nothing.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
In the running for those Cheetos, I see.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Breath baited.
Does your breath smell like fish?
Old 08-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

Nope. I'm just an observer. Have you ever watched a baseball game and the runner is barrelling towards home plate, then slides into home and misses it by about four feet, and the umpire jerks his thumb over his shoulder, and says, "But, why?" Yeah, me neither. All I'm doing is reporting, just like the umpire.

My earlier report: You were a troll.
Updated report: You got suspened.
Current report: Your suspension is up; you're still a troll.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Look! This is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
It's already been answered. And I don't really expect a real answer from Mandy Jo, I hold a negative opinion about that poster. I think now that the OP isn't resulting in the desired sanctions to nate, that she will not continue the conversation further.
I've been here for 20 years and 11k posts and I think he's the first person whose ever publicly insulted me. I think I'm pretty firmly in the "benignly innocuous" category. I'm so excited.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Look! This is awesome!

I've been here for 20 years and 11k posts and I think he's the first person whose ever publicly insulted me. I think I'm pretty firmly in the "benignly innocuous" category. I'm so excited.
You should be. SamuelA is a minor celebrity (look at the size of this thread!) just back from a one-month suspension, and possibly the board's leading misogynist. Any argument that he inserts himself into automatically poisons whatever side he is on, making the proponents of that side too embarrassed to come back. Just be grateful he didn't choose to take your side!
Old 08-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
You should be. SamuelA is a minor celebrity (look at the size of this thread!) just back from a one-month suspension, and possibly the board's leading misogynist. Any argument that he inserts himself into automatically poisons whatever side he is on, making the proponents of that side too embarrassed to come back. Just be grateful he didn't choose to take your side!
While wolfpup essentially follows me around and says the most negative thing he can! He's like an anti-cheerleader!
Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 PM

We are all anti-you.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:46 PM

No, I don't follow you around. You're not that important. But you do show up quite a lot in places I happen to be, and I often can't resist commenting on your pontifications because you're quite entertaining, even if unintentionally so. But many other posters -- like Tripler -- are generally more eloquent. They also run contests with prizes involving your activities (no, you're not eligible)!