Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16 View Post
My issue wasn't the crying it was not getting up and doing it in private.
So she has to go hide her emotions in the restroom while you get to display your extreme assiness and lack of compassion in public? Double standard, man.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:18 AM

In the words of a former coworker: "you're not telling me 'don't get angry' because you want me to be happy, you're telling me 'don't get angry' because my being angry bothers you!"

Last edited by Nava; 06-29-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg16
My issue wasn't the crying it was not getting up and doing it in private.

I would bet that if she was devastated enough to be crying at her desk, she was pretty well frozen with fear/panic and YOUR welfare was the last thing on her mind.

A titch of compassion goes a long way. Shame you don't appear to have any.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
In the words of a former coworker: "you're not telling me 'don't get angry' because you want me to be happy, you're telling me 'don't get angry' because my being angry bothers you!"
I know people who are easily triggered by outward displays of emotion, especially anger.

One good thing about my workplace is that we have both a walk-in fridge and freezer. If you need to blow off steam, you can go into either and scream until you're blue in the face and nobody will hear you.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
I know people who are easily triggered by outward displays of emotion, especially anger.

One good thing about my workplace is that we have both a walk-in fridge and freezer. If you need to blow off steam, you can go into either and scream until you're blue in the face and nobody will hear you.
That coworker was just tensely sitting down in her chair, frowning; she wasn't exactly hulking out. And she was right in her assertion, plus there are few things more stupid than telling someone not to feel the way they feel.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post

I hope you can open those from the inside!!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Well, we've seen the truth of it in the replies above.

"I don't like you being the center of attention and your emotions annoy me. So I'll display my own emotions (irritation, annoyance, anger) and make myself the center of attention instead".
Old 06-29-2016, 08:05 PM
BANNED

women and their mood swings
Old 06-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

First rule of SDMB is don't be a jerk, cg16, so you might want to rethink that last remark.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
First rule of SDMB is don't be a jerk, cg16, so you might want to rethink that last remark.
Moody coworkers at the job annoy me
Old 06-30-2016, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Moody coworkers at the job annoy me
By this he means "female coworkers", I think. This, after observing the general tenor of many other posts of his.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:41 AM

You're annoying us, and in your case it doesn't even seem to be a mood, more of a baseline.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
I would bet that if she was devastated enough to be crying at her desk, she was pretty well frozen with fear/panic and YOUR welfare was the last thing on her mind.

A titch of compassion goes a long way. Shame you don't appear to have any.
Nobody has bothered to ask about cg18's line of work. I mean, if he works in the front office for the Chicago Cubs, I'd say his attitude is perfectly defensible, on account of there's no crying in -- well, you know...

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-30-2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Nobody has bothered to ask about cg18's line of work. I mean, if he works in the front office for the Chicago Cubs, I'd say his attitude is perfectly defensible, on account of there's no crying in -- well, you know...
State worker
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
women and their mood swings
For the record, I'm a 54 year old white male and I think you're being a jerk. Perhaps you should spend less time worrying about how YOU feel about other people's emotions.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
For the record, I'm a 54 year old white male and I think you're being a jerk. Perhaps you should spend less time worrying about how YOU feel about other people's emotions.
I cleaned it up already. I don't like moody coworkers
Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM

s'fine. I don't like assholes who have to show me their bad emotions because they're bothered by mine.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
s'fine. I don't like assholes who have to show me their bad emotions because they're bothered by mine.
I know everyone has a bad day but I am referring to the coworkers who are moody all the time. You get to the point where you don't even want to speak anymore because you don't what to expect. Now I just found out one of the moody coworkers was suspended for a few days which means they will really be in a bad mood when they return and I will make sure I am not around the person.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure "the person" will appreciate that.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Background: where I work, engineering is not supposed to contact vendors for quotes. Even if you contact a vendor and ensure customer service and purchasing are copied on all correspondence, it's still frowned upon.

Nearly three weeks ago, I emailed purchasing (and copied the customer service agent) about a component that couldn't be fabricated in-house. I gave them the job information, the vendor's information, and attached a copy of the drawing; I also explained that this drawing was a draft for quoting purposes only.

Just found out this morning that neither one of them bothered sending it to the vendor, because they weren't aware a quote was needed. WTF, did they think I was just showing off my work or something?

Regarding "moody co-workers" (can they still be called "moody" if they're guys?), I've witnessed managers getting into loud arguments and telling one another to fuck off. And people keep telling me that one of the advantages of a small company is "it's like working with a big family?"
Old 07-06-2016, 09:15 AM
BANNED

People who walk past you in the hallway and don't speak. Always annoyed me
Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Back went out, migraine headache, left arm numbness issues...

And I'm the only one on my team who is here today. The rest are on PTO or out.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:06 PM

An attorney asked me for a specific affidavit to be completed on a case. Unfortunately, our standard fill in the blank affidavit would not work for this case. Ok, complete this specific account reconciliation, and we'll use that.
I spent 10 hours in total on this, between yesterday and this morning. With over $54K in charging, I could NOT find $51.62. Anywhere. The case flipped between public assistance and non-public assistance so often, I had ten spreadsheets running at one time.
(Basically, take all your bank accounts and balance them to the penny back to early 1999)
I went to see her this morning to notify her of my fail...
"Oh, you did WAY too much, all I needed was this form."
That's NOT what you told me! I could've had it completed in an hour.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I guess from now on all of THAT attorney's requests get confirmation in writing?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM

Gah. Why is it that it's only the moment I get up to get a coffee from the Keurig in the break room that someone calls? Now I have to ditch my coffee in the keurig to answer the phone and I can't retrieve my mug for 15-20 minutes. Now my coffee's cold and I feel like an asshole who's hogging the keurig.

I long for a big urn like at church instead of keurigs that take forever to brew.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Regarding "moody co-workers" (can they still be called "moody" if they're guys?), I've witnessed managers getting into loud arguments and telling one another to fuck off. And people keep telling me that one of the advantages of a small company is "it's like working with a big family?"
I don't think the term "moody" is gender-specific. I've met men who can be even pissier than any PMSing woman I've met.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 AM

I want to give a little rant about office space designers/managers, specifically how they build out meeting rooms. I've seen variations of this issue at several companies.

Just because a room is small, designed more like a huddle room for small teams, doesn't mean we don't need a freaking projector!

Similarly, why are you wasting money on little whiteboards? Why is the only floor-ceiling, wall-wall whiteboard in a room so large that we all call it a classroom?

You do understand the purpose of the rooms is collaboration, right? Hello?

Also some random peeves about this particular office:

Please for love of dog, mount the few projectors we have on the ceiling! They're currently sitting on the table, which means that the people in front of the projector block the view when they open their laptops or set their drinks on the table. It's also annoying and just looks like complete shit to have the cables strung across the room from the wall to the projector on the table.

I truly appreciate that you rebuilt the conference rooms for us so that they had better noise control. But I can't figure out why you couldn't make the lights work better at the same time. Lights that didn't shine directly on and thus wash out the projector screen would be thoughtful. It's not rocket science.

And this is just mind-blowingly goofy: when you were asked to put windows near the room doors so that people could see if there was a meeting in progress without opening the door and disturbing it, WHY did you install large picture windows? (And later, because two of the rooms were directly across from the bathrooms, they had to re-install frosted glass to block the view! - LOL!)
Old 07-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've witnessed managers getting into loud arguments and telling one another to fuck off. And people keep telling me that one of the advantages of a small company is "it's like working with a big family?"
Yeah, that sounds just like a lot of families that I know of.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
...I've witnessed managers getting into loud arguments and telling one another to fuck off. And people keep telling me that one of the advantages of a small company is "it's like working with a big family?"
Maybe every single person that is surprised by the dysfunction in a small "family" business has never been in a family...

Note to self: poll everyone at work, fully expecting to get 97% replying yes to "Are you or have you ever been a foundling?"
Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I don't think the term "moody" is gender-specific. I've met men who can be even pissier than any PMSing woman I've met.
Pretty much the same here! We have one manager who pretty much always yells...the trick to knowing if he's actually angry or not is to look at his arms. If he's flailing his arms or making big gestures, he's mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
Yeah, that sounds just like a lot of families that I know of.
It actually reminds me quite a bit of one branch of my family mixed with alcohol. (I don't see them very often.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Maybe every single person that is surprised by the dysfunction in a small "family" business has never been in a family...
Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 PM
BANNED

Management walking around watching people all of a sudden
Old 07-08-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Management walking around watching people all of a sudden
Maybe they found out you were posting about them on here, and on company time. Better get back to work...
Old 07-08-2016, 12:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Maybe they found out you were posting about them on here, and on company time. Better get back to work...
Well if they plan on watching me they going to be disappointed
Old 07-08-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Well if they plan on watching me they going to be disappointed
Because you can disappear like a ninja, or bore them like a... state worker?
Old 07-08-2016, 07:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Because you can disappear like a ninja, or bore them like a... state worker?
Because I am the master of doing everything right when the lights are bright
Old 07-08-2016, 08:03 PM

Why am I consistently explaining to millennials how computers work? There's the local hard drive on this computer on the desk, and there's the server -shared drive - where you are supposed to be saving your work. That's the one that gets backed up nightly, ya dopes.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 AM

Because they've grown up with autosave. To them, "CTRL+S is your friend" isn't obsolete, it's prehistoric.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM

One week of training for the new job (call center) done. I do not relish the prospect of cleaning up after some of my classmates once they're on the phones and handling accounts.

One girl falls asleep in class EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY. How she hasn't been fired yet is a mystery to me, but I don't predict she'll last long once we're out of the training room nest. I just hope she doesn't screw up too many accounts too badly along the way, since I really don't think Sleeping Beauty can be learning much.

One guy has no volume control at all and a LOT to say. Not only does he frequently jump in with some question/comment (routinely drowning out everyone else, including the trainer), but it takes him about three times as many words as necessary to express the desired concept. I dread the prospect of being seated anywhere near him.

Today, some of the crew got hung up on some little detail that our trainer explicitly stated didn't really matter for our purposes, and it took over half an hour for said trainer to regain enough control to force them to MOVE ALONG ALREADY. I'm honestly worried that we're going to run out of class time before we run out of material we NEED to know to do the damn job, with this sort of crap, plus all the social gabfests that have to be quashed before training can continue.

Several of my classmates seem a touch shaky on literacy, and some speak "ghetto" as their primary dialect, so I'm not expecting they'll be able to manage any degree of "professional" on the phone. My husband reminds me this is my competition for advancement, to which I remind him I'm going to be dealing with callers who've dealt with these bozos.

Last edited by Seanette; 07-13-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:43 PM

At least Sleeping Beauty managed to stay awake in class today and the no-volume-control guy wasn't as ratchet-jawed today as he normally is.

OTOH, way bigger problem with the socializing being deemed MUCH more important than even letting those of us who give a damn about the job learn anything. I also really did not want to hear rather graphic discussions of strip club visits.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:04 PM
BANNED

Damm air conditioner at the job was not working properly on the hottest day of the year
Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I do not relish the prospect of cleaning up after some of my classmates...
One girl falls asleep in class... One guy has no volume control at all... all the social gabfests... a touch shaky on literacy, and some speak "ghetto" as their primary dialect... graphic discussions of strip club visits...
Was lamenting that I have taken a break from from herding college-age cats, only to be herding middle-school kittens this summer.

Thanks to your perspective, I'm now grateful for my teaching gigs.
(I mean, your life sucks, but I guess mine doesn't!) :P
Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 PM

I'm sure your job has its downsides.

I'm really not sure how long some of these slacker doofuses will last once we're out of training. In an open-note quiz on material we'd covered practically ad nauseam this week, there were a lot of people who missed five or more of approximately twenty questions. OK, I did miss one myself, but most of the class did too, so I'm not beating myself up TOO hard, especially since it was about a situation I'm not likely to see often.

Considering how hard it is to get any of them to cool it with the socializing for more than a few minutes, even when the trainer is noticeably angry, I predict a lot of bounces once supervisors and managers get a really good look at the situation. I just hope they don't do too much damage along the way.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:51 AM

I got sent an excel invoice form for some freelance work I have been doing.

So, I filled it out and sent it back to the email address listed on the form. That was Thursday night.

Got an email yesterday morning from the bookkeeper, who I haven't dealt with before: "Sorry, you need to submit it as a pdf."

Okay. That hadn't been communicated to me and no such instruction appeared on the form, but fine. I convert the file to a pdf and it looks kind of wonky, but all the information is there--just oddly laid out. I send it back. "Will this do?" I ask.

"No," she says in her reply; it's now early afternoon. "You'll have to mess around with the form. Delete unnecessary rows and adjust the size of the columns till it fits on the page. Then convert it."

I'm kind of grumbly by now but I mess around with the file, delete a few rows, shrink three columns, try converting it--no, it still looks strange--shrink another column, try it now--okay, success. I save as a pdf and send it out. "Got it now," I say. "Please confirm that you've received it and we're good to go."

Later, mid-afternoon, another email. "No. You're missing the date and the invoice number. Try again."

Well, i'm missing that information because there aren't fields for them. I go back to the original excel file sent to me and there aren't fields there either--till I realize that the sheet is missing a column entirely. When I move column dividers around the missing column appears, and it has a Date listing; when I expand it further an Invoice Number header appears as well. I also get one more place for me to list my phone number and two more spots for me to list my email. I fill them all in just to be on the safe side. Readjust column widths, make a pdf, check that it all fits on the page, and send it off, with a note suggesting oh-so-nicely that the next person to get this form would probably appreciate it if all the fields were initially visible and if it were preset to the proper size for pdf conversion.

I'm not at all sure it all worked out...if it didn't, and something else is wrong now, I'm sure I'll hear about it on Monday.

Question: In my field I'm usually paid by the piece, but on this project I'm being paid by the hour. Do you think I can bill for the time spent wrangling with the invoice and the bookkeeper? Would you?

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 07-16-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:54 AM
BANNED

air conditioner wasn't working properly at the job
Old 07-16-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
I got sent an excel invoice form for some freelance work I have been doing.

Question: In my field I'm usually paid by the piece, but on this project I'm being paid by the hour. Do you think I can bill for the time spent wrangling with the invoice and the bookkeeper? Would you?
That is weird and excessive. In my experience, most companies don't specify an invoice format, only specific items that must appear - Date, purchase order number and/or itemized charge list, pay to info, and invoice #.

If you need to submit in a specified way that wasn't communicated properly to you in the first place, you should absolutely charge them extra for it - itemize it too - keep the original due date, they don't get extra grace time for delaying their acceptance of your invoice. If payable immediately on original receipt - charge 'em interest. Translating multiple different payables invoice styles is the Bookkeeper's job.

-DF
Old 07-16-2016, 12:17 PM

Yes, makes me wonder if this isn't some sort of purposeful tactic to discourage you from successfully finishing the invoicing process, and to give them progressive excuses for not paying. It may not work very often, but if it only works a small percentage of the time, it could be worth their while.

By all means, bill them for every extra minute.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:01 PM

Thankfully, training class is over tomorrow.

OTOH, some of these people scare me (I can only hope the worst flunk the final). Today's notions of appropriate workplace conversation included defeating drug tests and shoplifting pointers.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 PM
BANNED

The air circulation was not consistent at the job
Old 07-19-2016, 12:08 AM

Oh man, I wonder if the climate control is working properly at a everyone's place of employment.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 AM

I did hear back from the bookkeeper:

"Ulf, I'll accept this invoice, but you really need to work more on getting this right next time. The pdf was seven pages long, your phone and email were in the wrong places, and [a couple more issues]. Maybe [other employee] can help if you need it."

I've been freelancing for a long time and only once seen anything like this.

I am DEFINITELY billing for the time spent on invoicing.

I think my favorite is the seven page pdf. Since all I did to the excel file was remove a bunch of extraneous rows, seems likely that the issue is with the excel file to begin with...

Oh well. Thanks for the input.