Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 AM

If president, would you handle social media yourself personally (Tweeting, etc)?

Suppose you were President, and you were an avid user of Twitter, like Trump. Would you continue writing your own Twitter/Facebook and other such posts yourself, or quit it (or delegate the Tweeting duties to your staff?)

Obama was also an avid Tweeter in his presidential time, but I don't know if he was typing them up himself or letting someone else tweet on his behalf.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

If I were President, I wouldn't tweet. I sure as heck wouldn't let someone else tweet for me, unless it was my Press Secretary, and only what I approved in advance.

I don't tweet now (and never have) so probably that skews my feelings.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
If I were President, I wouldn't tweet. I sure as heck wouldn't let someone else tweet for me, unless it was my Press Secretary, and only what I approved in advance.

This is what I would say.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

Regards,
Shodan
My sentiments exactly.

I think it's wishful thinking to say that Trump's tweeting harms him. Those of us who mock him for "covfefe" and alarming lack of spelling/grammar skills didn't like him in the first place; his tweets only serve to reinforce what we already believed. On the other hand, Trump supporters don't care. Which isn't necessarily misguided; if I found out a politician I admire was a lousy speller, it wouldn't change my feelings about them.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
On the other hand, Trump supporters don't care. Which isn't necessarily misguided; if I found out a politician I admire was a lousy speller, it wouldn't change my feelings about them.
From what I've seen elsewhere on the Web, one thing that Trump supporters really appreciate is the fact that Trump's tweets are Trump's words, directly from the man himself, and not filtered through the White House press office or the mainstream media. Spelling and grammar don't matter; any errors just prove that Trump's messages come from Trump himself.

I wouldn't tweet. I might ask my staff to set up a White House account, so news and other things (e.g. congratulations to the Superbowl winner) could get out there, but only with my approval. At least, the messages would be coherent and correctly spelled, and we'd all be on the same page as to policy (e.g. no surprise policy statements, leaving White House staff scrambling to do damage control).
Old 08-10-2019, 06:13 AM

For short form like Twitter I'd keep to daily info, e.g.,

"Meeting with the President of Zenda this morning then off to speak at the National Muffin Convention."

And then later post pics of such events.

For longer form I'd use the official White House website for announcements, etc.

In no case would I allow people to post comments, etc.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Probably a mixture. For the most part, that's what the press office is for. But there are times when I'd want it to be my words.
I would not tweet stream-of-consciousness blather. I think remarks from the president should be serious things and there's a reason why "extemporaneous" speeches weren't all that extemporaneous in previous administrations. There are good reasons to have at least a little time and a low filter between someone's thoughts and what's put out for international public consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I think it's wishful thinking to say that Trump's tweeting harms him. Those of us who mock him for "covfefe" and alarming lack of spelling/grammar skills didn't like him in the first place; his tweets only serve to reinforce what we already believed. On the other hand, Trump supporters don't care. Which isn't necessarily misguided; if I found out a politician I admire was a lousy speller, it wouldn't change my feelings about them.
I think it harms him from a policy standpoint. Watching his tweets (and watching them careen back and forth from one POV to another, get really petty over small things, etc.) paints a picture of someone that serious people just don't want to or can't work with to get things done. He becomes a thing to be worked around or ignored while other alternate non-President-dependent solutions to problems can be found. When the adults need to talk, he's not going to be asked to the table. (e.g., California and the car companies. The international discussions where the US is becoming more and more conspicuously absent and less and less consulted, considered, or catered to.) He doesn't care about those things.

OTOH, they re-enforce his popularity with his base. Which helps draw larger crowds to his campaign rallies. Which he does care about.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Not a chance. That's what professional staff is there for. I'd use social media, but I'd made sure it was leveraged to maximum advantage to play to the image I need built.

Trump gets a lot of red meat out there to his base via Twitter - and I'm sure gets enormous gratification from it - but harms himself in the long run and makes himself less effective politically from his unforced errors.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM

That's what a press department is for. Tweets shouldn't be a stream of consciousness from the president to the people. The president should certainly direct the tone of the tweets, but should leave the writing of them to staff.

Even the fireside chats were carefully written and scripted.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Eh, I don't tweet (though I do follow a few people), so I wouldn't do it. I certainly wouldn't do it under my personal account. I'd probably have it mainly through the white house account by staff.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:44 AM
BANNED

I think it would be nice to see personalized Candygrams make a comeback...
Old 08-08-2019, 10:56 AM

No I would not do it myself.

However what I'd do is keep a private diary of my thoughts/opinions/musings of everyday activity while I'm president. Then when I pass away my library would have approval to release it into the public domain of what it's like to be president. Great for historical documentation without being intrusive like the LBJ/Nixon tapes are.

Last edited by Boycott; 08-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:15 AM

I'd leave most routine social media stuff to the communications team, and just let the public know that, with the occasional self-generated post for particularly important or noteworthy events (like a note of sympathy after the next mass shooting). Still, even those I would probably run past the communications team to make sure I didn't cock something up.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:43 AM

I think I'd have social media accounts for "The Office of the President" or something similar, to indicate that they are the accounts of the President, as an office and as Head of State/Chief Executive, not President Bump's accounts.

I'd have the communications team find someone with specific social media experience, and put them in charge of it. I'd set the overall tone, and let the underlings work on the execution. I don't know that I'd require sign-off on every tweet/Facebook/Instagram post, but I'd have veto rights. And if I did do a direct tweet, like carlb says, it would be vetted by the communications team, and probably by other advisors to make sure I wasn't saying something I shouldn't.

Part of the role of the President is to be somewhat majestic and awe-inspiring, which having frequent stream-of-consciousness tweets kind of undermines. Plus, it's not good business- it gives your enemies too many opportunities to quote you saying something out of context, or for you to say something stupid inadvertently.

Last edited by bump; 08-08-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:09 PM

No way I would tweet. First of all, it's sort of an endorsement of a particular company when you do that which makes it a nonstarter for me. This is why you have a press office, when you want to convey things to the people you tell them what you want to say, they check it for accuracy and phrase everything professionally and make sure it conveys the message you want to send, and then you review it, approve it, and release it. Sitting on the can and tweeting out the first thing that comes to your little head, accuracy and diplomacy be damned, is childish.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth bump:

I think I'd have social media accounts for "The Office of the President" or something similar, to indicate that they are the accounts of the President, as an office and as Head of State/Chief Executive, not President Bump's accounts.
Expanding on that, I'd have separate accounts for the President as Head of State, and President as Head of Government. The former is for things like congratulating the Superbowl winners and expressing condolences when big-name people die. The latter is for things like grandstanding for important legislation.

And both would be written by my Press Secretary, or someone under them. And if either bore my name, I'd have to see everything and approve it before it was posted.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM

I would be, "Living my BEST LIFE EVER!" for the Gram.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 PM

Forget about Twitter, the question I have is would you keep posting here on the SDMB ?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Mod Rocker

I am thinking that this will work better in IMHO.
Off it goes.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 PM
born to be shunned

I don't do much of anything online except post here so if its going to happen someone else will get the task.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 PM

im surprised someone hasn't said " get as close to banning them as legally possible"

twitter is something id of done when I was oh 15-30 years old but nowadays ehh ..... id just have corporate style tweets written by someone like "department x says unemployment down by 25 percent" or have them say good job when a citizen does something worth noting .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 08-08-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:07 PM

No way. To much a chance to say what's REALLY on your mind and I get into to much trouble for that now. If your a public figure you have to watch every word you say, every picture taken of you, everyone you look at, everything you eat, everything.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

I'd have an anonymous account (no blue check) which I would use to make fun of myself under an alias.

Meanwhile, the official account would probably be pretty boring, but I don't know that it's a good idea to outsource it.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 AM

What I would never do is make policy announcements on social media. I've never tweeted so I wouldn't, but I might have a secretary tweet from office of the president, maybe explaining reasons for policies. Oh wait, that wouldn't work if limited to 280 characters. Maybe on Facebook where you can link to a more expansive document. Kind of a fireside chat online.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:27 PM

I don't tweet (or have a cell phone). If I became president I would defy logic and physics and tweet even less because at the moment I only refrain from tweeting because I think it's stupid and pointless, and as an important leader I would see it as a dangerously unfiltered way of saying things that would risk being inappropriate or unwise for any number of reasons.

There would also be no official twitter account representing my office. Screw that. Putting aside that I think that the entire platform is bad for the country, no matter *what* I wanted to say, it wouldn't fit in 280 characters.

Last edited by begbert2; 08-09-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:36 AM

I'd do my own Facebook posts, but they'd be at the same level as my current Facebook posts. Grandkid's finger painting (prints available; see reelection page for details), First Lady candids (hehe, gf asleep on air force one), pet pics (who's the bad dog that did this in the Lincoln bedroom?).
Old 08-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

If I were President, the @POTUS Twitter account would be silent for four (or eight, as it were) years.

If I were President, I would be given the nickname "The Ghost President," as I believe the office of the POTUS, Constitutionally, is one of quiet, behind-the-scenes work. There would be no White House Easter Egg rolls, no championship-winning teams invited to the White House, no telling reporters my thoughts on things over which the POTUS has exactly zero purview, such as sports or what have you.

You want a ceremonial Head of State, install a constitutional monarchy.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

But the point is, we don't have a ceremonial head of state. We have a head of state who's also the most powerful politician in the country. And just as it's the head of government's job to negotiate with Congress behind the scenes, it's the head of state's job to host Easter egg hunts and congratulate sports teams.

The British Prime Minister doesn't do the things you say you wouldn't do, precisely because he has a Queen to do them for him.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

As president I would have better and more important things to do than be on social media.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
As president I would have better and more important things to do than be on social media.
Golf!