Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 PM

Does "Justified" (FX show) ever get better?

My dad suggested that I watch Justified because I liked Deadwood and The Shield. Well, I'm 4 episodes into it and I see no similarities at all with those shows other than that two of the same actors are in it. Justified seems like a lightweight series in comparison, like a throwback to the cheesy cop shows on network TV from the early 90s that I can vaguely remember watching as a kid. The main character is one-dimensional and the supporting cast are all C-list players. There's just...nothing compelling there, that I can discern.

However - I realize that the first season of a show is not necessarily reflective of the successive seasons. The first season is when the show creators are first figuring things out, and sometimes even really good shows have a hit-and-miss first season.

Is this going to get better - i.e. more intense, more serious, more like Deadwood and The Shield - or should I just give up?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 PM

Season 2 (with Margo Martindale as Mags Bennett) stands head and shoulders above the rest, as I recall. You could skip right past season 1 and give season 2 a go. (Looks like it's 13 episodes.) My memory is that the greatness doesn't truly manifest until the end of the season, but it's from the slow build all season so I don't think you can skip to the end of season 2. I say this just so you won't expect to see an immediate and significant jump in quality in the first couple episodes of season 2.

If you end up loving season 2 (and by extension the show as a whole) you can always jump back to finish season 1, no harm no foul. But if season 2 still doesn't do it for you, yeah, it's probably not your show.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 06-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
My dad suggested that I watch Justified because I liked Deadwood and The Shield. Well, I'm 4 episodes into it and I see no similarities at all with those shows other than that two of the same actors are in it. Justified seems like a lightweight series in comparison, like a throwback to the cheesy cop shows on network TV from the early 90s that I can vaguely remember watching as a kid. The main character is one-dimensional and the supporting cast are all C-list players. There's just...nothing compelling there, that I can discern.
That is exactly how I felt in a nutshell. I kept asking myself "Why am I watching this when I could be watching an old episode of Simon & Simon?"

P.S. The appeal of the show Terriers escaped me as well, although I ended up watching all 13 episodes.

Last edited by hogarth; 06-18-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
P.S. The appeal of the show Terriers escaped me as well, although I ended up watching all 13 episodes.
Terriers clicked for me when I realized that ted Griffin doing Raymond Chandler in a modern setting.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 AM

The two big changes from S2 onwards:
-It stops being an episodic case-of-the-week series and it starts having a seasonal storyline.
-It gives more and more importance to the Boyd Crowder character, to the point that Tim Olyphant starts becoming a supporting character.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

The S1 of Justified is fairly episodic with a light arc welded onto it. It's essentially bits-and-pieces of Elmore Leonard strung together.

S2+ get much better (but I thought S1 was still pretty good). It's Elmore Leonard-based material. If you don't like Elmore Leonard, then it might not be for you.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 AM

For me, the best shows have "those episodes", the one where you are on the edge of your seat for pretty much every minute of the episode. For instance the big battles on game of thrones. When Gip Rosetti takes over in Boardwalk Empire. When you're barely able to draw a breath the whole episode. Breaking Bad had a number of them. Al getting served a beating in Deadwood.

Justified has at least three of them, but not in the first season.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 AM

If you don't like it, you don't like it. For me, the beginning of the 1st ep in S1 was just about the most gripping entrée into any series I ever experienced. But different people like different shows.

I really dug the Boyd Crowder character, as well as many other characters introduced in later seasons. Sorry I forget the names, but the head of the black clan back in the hills. The dapper mob killer...

But if you don't like it, cut your losses and watch something else.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
The S1 of Justified is fairly episodic with a light arc welded onto it. It's essentially bits-and-pieces of Elmore Leonard strung together.

S2+ get much better (but I thought S1 was still pretty good). It's Elmore Leonard-based material. If you don't like Elmore Leonard, then it might not be for you.
I've read 3 or 4 Elmore Leonard novels, and man, I just cannot get his appeal. But Justified is one of my all-time favorite shows.

And everyone is right: go ahead and skip to Season 2. Mags is a wonderful villain, almost as good as Boyd Crowder becomes.

As the show goes on, the dialog becomes better, too. Olyphant never really showed off his comic chops on Deadwood (IIRC), but they start coming out in this show, and by the time he shows up in Santa Clarita Diet, he's one of the funniest actors around. The repartee in Justified between Olyphant and his boss, or between him and Boyd Crowder, left me giggling a lot.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I've read 3 or 4 Elmore Leonard novels, and man, I just cannot get his appeal. ...
Yeah, I read a ton. And I like a lot of the character driven crime novels EL is known for. And a lot of the authors I like and respect seem to worship "Dutch." But I find his books pretty "meh!"

Re: the OP - I tried to get into Deadwood, but never got hooked, and I never tried The Shield. So, different tastes...

And the characters I was trying to think of were Limehouse and Quarles... So many others. I had forgotten Margo Martindale, Amy Steenburgen, and Sam Elliott were recurring characters. Maybe I should rewatch the series...

Last edited by Dinsdale; 06-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Yeah, I read a ton. And I like a lot of the character driven crime novels EL is known for. And a lot of the authors I like and respect seem to worship "Dutch." But I find his books pretty "meh!"

Re: the OP - I tried to get into Deadwood, but never got hooked, and I never tried The Shield. So, different tastes...

And the characters I was trying to think of were Limehouse and Quarles... So many others. I had forgotten Margo Martindale, Amy Steenburgen, and Sam Elliott were recurring characters. Maybe I should rewatch the series...
It's Mary Steenburgen, who is married to Ted Danson. Neal McDonough is pretty intense as Quarles, as is Michael Rapaport as Daryl Crowe. My favorite character by far, though, is Dewey Crowe, perhaps the most hapless and hopeless criminal to ever come along.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Justified is one of the best TV shows to ever air, so that would be a yes.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 AM
SDSAB

I watched just the first season and liked it well enough, but not enough to come back for S2. One of these days I will.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Well when I asked my dad this same question he said he started watching the show in the middle and didn't see the first season.

I'm skipping to the second one. I want to see more Walton Goggins.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
It's Mary Steenburgen, ...

I was typing fast, and saw I had typed aMry. In my haste, I (in)corrected it to Amy.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:12 AM

I liked Justified from the first scene of the first episode but it does get better when Boyd Crowder becomes a regular.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Justified is one of the best TV shows to ever air, so that would be a yes.
I saw the first season DVD on sale ridiculously cheap at Target. I had heard about the show but never seen it. I took a chance and bought it.

Put the first disc in and started. When Raylan shot Tommy Bucks by the hotel pool, I was hooked. I watched 6 episodes at the first sitting.

Boyd is one of my favorite all-time characters.
Quote:
I've accused of being a lot of things...inarticulate ain't one of them.
My fave was Season 4, with the hunt for Drew Thompson.
SPOILER:
Quote:
Art:
First thing we're gonna do is we're gonna acknowledge that this guy is awesome.

Rachel:
What?

Art:
I mean, he shoots Theo Tonin, fakes his own death in spectacular fashion, pushes a guy out of an airplane while he's flying it, parachutes into Harlan county with enough coke and cash to jumpstart the economy of small country, and then he has the balls to get a job in law enforcement, not once, but two times! He spends a couple days riding around with you while you're looking for him, and now he's run off with a hooker half his age. That's some badass shit.

Raylan:
It's pretty badass.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca

Last edited by Chronos; 06-19-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added spoiler box
Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
My fave was Season 4, with the hunt for Drew Thompson.
That's a great quote, but it's also a pretty good synopsis of season 4, including some major twists--might not be a great quote to put unspoilered in a thread for someone thinking about watching the show .
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

I love Justified, I've watched the entire run through at least three times, probably more like five. It's a go-to show for me and yeah, it does get intense AF and funny and complicated and the characters become so real you want to meet every one of them even though you know about 82% of them might shoot you dead just for looking at them funny. Patton Oswalt has one of the best roles he's ever done in this show by a long chalk. And Wynn Duffy is just an amazing character--he gives Boyd Crowder a lotta competition.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

SPOILER:
Quote:
Art:
I mean, he shoots Theo Tonin, fakes his own death in spectacular fashion, pushes a guy out of an airplane while he's flying it, parachutes into Harlan county with enough coke and cash to jumpstart the economy of small country, and then he has the balls to get a job in law enforcement, not once, but two times! He spends a couple days riding around with you while you're looking for him, and now he's run off with a hooker half his age. That's some badass shit.

I loved Art. He's one of the best characters on the show!

Last edited by Chronos; 06-19-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added spoiler boxes
Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Patton Oswalt has one of the best roles he's ever done in this show by a long chalk.
wait, wuuuuhhhhhhh?!?

now I'm definitely in it for the long haul
Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
wait, wuuuuhhhhhhh?!?

His acting in Justified impressed the hell out of me.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 PM

I liked it a whole bunch. I hated when it ended.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
wait, wuuuuhhhhhhh?!?

It's an amazing arc. It starts with just about what you'd expect an Oswalt character to be, but then he just becomes so much more. To quote Raylan, "People underestimate Bob at their own peril."

Last edited by Horatius; 06-19-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Left Hand of Dorkness:

That's a great quote, but it's also a pretty good synopsis of season 4, including some major twists--might not be a great quote to put unspoilered in a thread for someone thinking about watching the show .
Done (also post 20). Please try to box any spoilers.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
His acting in Justified impressed the hell out of me.
I agree. He was a hidden gem in the series.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM

LOVED this show. There were so many of the characters that I loved - Dewey, Boyd, Dickie, Art, and of course Raylan (I had a major crush on him! And he had some great lines). This was one of the series that I really missed watching after I finished it. I missed the characters.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The repartee in Justified between Olyphant and his boss, or between him and Boyd Crowder, left me giggling a lot.
Even in Season 1, Raylan's leading of Boyd's flock in prayer was a brilliant piece of audacious deadpan humour. Also increasingly funny as the show went on was Deputy Tim, who had some brilliantly withering responses to Raylan.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 AM

I'll just put it this way -

It's better than a $6 blowjob....
Old 06-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Oh man, Dewey Crowe and the kidneys, I nearly died laughing about a hundred times during that episode!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

I really, really liked the show (and think there's much more to it than a cheesy cop show). But if you're four episodes in and not getting anything from it, I doubt you'll like it more as it goes on.
There's a lot of TV in the world. No reason to spend a lot of time watching a show that does nothing for you.

I really did like the series. The dialogue could be amazing. I thought the characterization was very, very good. Some seasons had deep, thoughtful plotting. And the acting was superb (Damon Herriman's Dewey Crowe was one of the funniest acting performances on tv at the time).
Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 PM

The first, I'd say, five or six eps are really finding their way and after that it gets pretty solid--by season two it's a rollercoaster.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:16 AM

An amazing show hands down. Who can forget the "Piggy Bank", Maggs home made shine, or many other memorable moment and characters. For myself Boyd Crowder was hands down one of the best "villans" in TV history.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 AM

Jaysus, every time anyone drank out of a jar on that show I was wincing.

Oh man, the purloined weed crop. That was comedy GOLD.

Last edited by SmartAleq; 06-21-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:04 AM

S2 to S4 are the best of the show, well worth watching.

One personal favorite is in S4 because they took the concept of Invisible Man (that African Americans are everywhere but ignored) and ran with it, effectively recreating ninjas. It's a concept that could use more coverage.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 06-21-2019 at 04:05 AM.