Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 PM

First Class Stamps Going Up 10% on January 27 So Stock Up on Forever Stamps

First class stamps are going up from $.50 to $.55 on January 27, so you might stock up on Forever stamps before then if you use a moderate number of stamps.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/lif...ce/2501022002/
Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, PastTense.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. Now we can commence bragging on how we haven’t used a stamp in several years and feign amazement that anyone can possibly have a use for one.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 AM

I still pay my bills via snail mail, and also use it for other reasons.

I had to drop some packages off at the post office, and purchased a roll while I was there.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Thanks. Now we can commence bragging on how we haven’t used a stamp in several years and feign amazement that anyone can possibly have a use for one.
Heh. Not brag, but feel stupid. I had an envelope that had to be mailed. A coworker was stopping at the post office and offered to mail it. I handed her the envelope, then a quarter and a dime. She stood there with her hand out and I had to admit I had no idea what it cost. If I'd been thinking I'd have handed her a dollar bill.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Heh. Not brag, but feel stupid. I had an envelope that had to be mailed. A coworker was stopping at the post office and offered to mail it. I handed her the envelope, then a quarter and a dime. She stood there with her hand out and I had to admit I had no idea what it cost. If I'd been thinking I'd have handed her a dollar bill.
Heh. I have to admit, I couldn’t have told you what a stamp cost. I just get a little book occasionally at the market with groceries. I don’t see the price.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Or we can brag about the $2.00 we saved last time this happened.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I had no idea what stamps cost, but I use them infrequently enough that a nickle won't break my budget. Plus I still have half a book in my wallet.

When I was young and in the Navy, I bought stamps by the roll - even had the nifty little dispenser to hold the roll - because I was a prolific letter writer. I was also single with lots of time on my hands to pen massive missives. But this was long enough ago that a roll of stamps cost $8. I honestly don't remember the last time I wrote a letter, or even sent out Christmas cards.

Guess I'm part of the reason the USPS is going broke.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
My money's on the "I've never paid a bill online because the only correct way to do it is via paper checks and the USPS." crowd.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 AM

I pay most of my stuff online but a few stubborn bills (water bill for one, it's handled by the HOA) require checks and stamps. But that bill comes quarterly so I just grab a stamp from work, toss a couple quarters in the small change basket and never considered what the stamp actually cost.

Heck, I'm surprised to learn it's 50˘. I would have guessed some weird number like 48˘. Guess I've been doing it right!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I had no idea what stamps cost, but I use them infrequently enough that a nickle won't break my budget. Plus I still have half a book in my wallet.

When I was young and in the Navy, I bought stamps by the roll - even had the nifty little dispenser to hold the roll - because I was a prolific letter writer. I was also single with lots of time on my hands to pen massive missives. But this was long enough ago that a roll of stamps cost $8. I honestly don't remember the last time I wrote a letter, or even sent out Christmas cards.

I didn't remember what stamps cost, as I had a roll from last year that I used for bills and such. Then I went to go do my christmas cards, and found that they were .$0.50. I was a bit surprised. $50 for 100 stamps. Nice even number, I suppose, at least.

But, I send out 4-5 bills a month with stamps. I sent out a bunch of ex-employees w-2's with stamps just yesterday, and I sent out about 500 christmas cards with stamps last month.

Guess I'm one of the few reasons the USPS is still viable at all.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
My money's on the "I've never paid a bill online because the only correct way to do it is via paper checks and the USPS." crowd.
In order to pay online, you have to have someone that accepts online payments. I have a number of vendors, including my landlord, who do not.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
In order to pay online, you have to have someone that accepts online payments. I have a number of vendors, including my landlord, who do not.
I do my banking/bill paying online. For vendors not set up for electronic payment, my bank sends a check. There's a fee, but I'm not sure what they charge.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
No, you do not. As kayaker stated, banks will send a paper check if the recipient isn't set up for electronic payments. Mine does it for free.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Still the best deal in the history of mankind.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:08 PM

I write letters. BOOM!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
No, you do not. As kayaker stated, banks will send a paper check if the recipient isn't set up for electronic payments. Mine does it for free.
Yeah, I could probably get my bank to issue checks (haven't bothered to look into it), but that doesn't seem to be all the much more convenient than writing it out myself. In any case, what then would I do with all these mailing labels that I have already printed out for each of my vendors that does not accept online payments?

My bank also is not going to help to mail out christmas cards or employee w-2's. (Even though they got several of my christmas cards, and are associated with the company that does my payroll.)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Several years ago I bought a little sheet of maybe twenty forever stamps. I think I still have about fifteen of them left. Forget stocking up; I'm embarrassed at the money I've already wasted on them.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
I write letters. BOOM!
So you say, but I've never heard from you...

Old 01-11-2019, 04:35 PM

I send about 3-4 birthday cards per month, and have a handful of bills that I send through the USPS. However, I AM hoarding the Elvis and Janis Joplin commemorative stamps...
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
I send about 3-4 birthday cards per month, and have a handful of bills that I send through the USPS. However, I AM hoarding the Elvis and Janis Joplin commemorative stamps...
There is absolutely no need to hoard Elvis, as you can order them online (unfortunately I can't find Janis):
https://store.usps.com/store/results...9y93lv?Nrpp=48

There are 86 stamps, listed--the majority of them Forever. So for a mere $801.75 you can order 100 booklets (a nice round number) of 16 stamps each--a total of 1600 Elvis Forever stamps ($1.75 for shipping). [Unfortunately if you only wanted to order 1 of those booklets they would still charge you about $1.50 shipping]
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM

I have 347 stamps in my arsenal. I pay bills for my father-in-law, who is in a nursing home and lately have been paying bills for my next door neighbor who is in rehab and probably going into a nursing home, in addition to our bills. I'm stocked up for a while.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 PM

But wait! There's good news.

The cost of a two-ounce letter is going down from 71 cents to 70 cents!

And a three-ounce letter is going to be a whopping bargain: down from 92 cents to 85 cents.

Start kicking yourself now for stocking up on those two-ounce forever stamps.

And if you bought any three-ounce forever stamps, tsk-tsk.

Last edited by Alley Dweller; 01-11-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 PM

They should just raise it to $1 per stamp and be done with it. Get them to stop complaining that they’re operating at a loss and maybe improve their service. Mail service is a convenience not a right.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
But wait! There's good news.

The cost of a two-ounce letter is going down from 71 cents to 70 cents!

And a three-ounce letter is going to be a whopping bargain: down from 92 cents to 85 cents.

Start kicking yourself now for stocking up on those two-ounce forever stamps.

And if you bought any three-ounce forever stamps, tsk-tsk.
My retirement plan of investing in stamp futures just went down the drain.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads up, PastTense. I buy stamps for my 92-year-old father, who's in a nursing home and whose favorite pastime is writing letters. He uses about 400 stamps per year. So by purchasing stamps today, I saved $20 this year. Worth the trouble IMHO.

Whoever thought up the idea of Forever stamps was brilliant.

The USPS does a great job, and they've really stepped up with package delivery. I prefer to receive packages via the Post Office than via USPS.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I could probably get my bank to issue checks (haven't bothered to look into it), but that doesn't seem to be all the much more convenient than writing it out myself.
Traceability. Also, all these withdrawals are in 1 log. And for vendors and things where the spending is tax deductible, you can easily look up a year's worth of transactions from the records on your bank's website so you can claim the tax deduction.

Similarly, if someone claims you owe a fee because you didn't pay in time, the bank's records will show when the check was mailed, thus taking the onus off you onto the post office.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
So you say, but I've never heard from you...

PM me and we can make that happen.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM

In Canada, domestic stamps are $1, stamps to the States are $1.40, and overseas stamps are $2.50(!). I know this because I recently wrote a letter to my cousin in England.

So a mere 55c? Ha!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
They should just raise it to $1 per stamp and be done with it. Get them to stop complaining that they’re operating at a loss and maybe improve their service. Mail service is a convenience not a right.
Mail service is a very important service of the government. The post office is actually older than the constitution.

We take it for granted now, but being able to communicate with other people in the country for a very reasonable cost was something that truly did change our nation, in what I think are positive ways.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth PastTense:

There are 86 stamps, listed--the majority of them Forever. So for a mere $801.75 you can order 100 booklets (a nice round number) of 16 stamps each--a total of 1600 Elvis Forever stamps ($1.75 for shipping). [Unfortunately if you only wanted to order 1 of those booklets they would still charge you about $1.50 shipping]
Huh, what shipping company do they use?

As for me, I'd consider it a bad thing to not be able to mail an envelope at all, so if I were running low on stamps, I might buy some... but I think it's been years since I've actually had occasion to stick a stamp on something. And the frequency of stamp use is probably only going to decrease in years to come. It's within the realm of possibility that I'll never even use some of the stamps I already have lying around, and against that I have to weigh... the possibility that if I do run out, I might have to spend a couple more bucks when I eventually buy more? Meh.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Traceability. Also, all these withdrawals are in 1 log. And for vendors and things where the spending is tax deductible, you can easily look up a year's worth of transactions from the records on your bank's website so you can claim the tax deduction.
That's what quickbooks is for.

And my bank doesn't have an easily searchable history log. I can look to see when I bought something at home depot or somesuch, but I can't look to see all the times when I bought something from home depot, not without actually going through line by line.

I *can* do that with a vendor's report on quickbooks.
Quote:
Similarly, if someone claims you owe a fee because you didn't pay in time, the bank's records will show when the check was mailed, thus taking the onus off you onto the post office.
That could be slightly useful, but only assuming that vendors are willing to take my bank's word for it for an excuse. For anything important, like my rent checks, I use registered mail.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:08 PM

I actually kind of enjoy addressing and stamping envelopes. There's like a tactile sense of accomplishment in it. But when I think about it, I haven't done it for probably a year. It's only once in a blue moon that I get some correspondence that can't be handled online.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
In Canada, domestic stamps are $1, stamps to the States are $1.40, and overseas stamps are $2.50(!). I know this because I recently wrote a letter to my cousin in England.

So a mere 55c? Ha!
Last year (okay, the summer of 2017), I wanted to send some money to charities in Fort McMurray, AB after the big forest fire. When trying to do so online proved fruitless, I decided to write $25 checks to the Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity and mail them. I was quite shocked to find that postage to Canada was $1.35, but I paid it and sent them off.

At the end of the year, I got tax receipts for whatever the exchange rate was when the checks were received at cashed - $29.xx for one and $30.xx for the other.

I have an online resale business I run out of my home, and 99%-plus of those packages are shipped via USPS, and I will continue to do so as long as it's the cheapest and most reliable method.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Guess I'm one of the few reasons the USPS is still viable at all.
The Post Office still makes plenty of money. The ONLY reason that there's any fiscal issue is because the idiot Congress saddled them with a requirement to pre-fund 75 years worth of pension payments.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 AM

We buy a sheet (12) of the Chinese New Year stamps every year. We still haven’t used up the 2017 ones, so I guess we use less than one stamp a month. We used to pay quarterly property taxes and life insurance premiums by mail. But that’s all online or autopay now. The last stamp we used was for the town census. There is an odd medical bill or two a year. Responded to an IRS inquiry. Twice a year payments to the Math and Piano schools. Nothing else I can remember.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Last year (okay, the summer of 2017), I wanted to send some money to charities in Fort McMurray, AB after the big forest fire. When trying to do so online proved fruitless, I decided to write $25 checks to the Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity and mail them. I was quite shocked to find that postage to Canada was $1.35, but I paid it and sent them off.

At the end of the year, I got tax receipts for whatever the exchange rate was when the checks were received at cashed - $29.xx for one and $30.xx for the other.

I have an online resale business I run out of my home, and 99%-plus of those packages are shipped via USPS, and I will continue to do so as long as it's the cheapest and most reliable method.
Oh yeah, interesting thing, in the US, anyway, you get to write off stamps as well as tax deductions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The Post Office still makes plenty of money. The ONLY reason that there's any fiscal issue is because the idiot Congress saddled them with a requirement to pre-fund 75 years worth of pension payments.
I was mostly saying that in jest. But it is the case that fewer people are using the USPS, and that is having an effect on their bottom line.

So, looked at my bank, and I don't see anywhere that allow me to get them to cut checks for me. I may need to ask about it. Not that it is that big a deal, but did just write out and mail my quarterly payments.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:53 PM

I was at the PO anyway to send a package, so I bought Forever stamps, why not?