Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
More than the tipping point number, apparently, as he seems to still be POTUS. I spend a lot of time imagining a day when we go over the tipping point, tho, and his jig is up.
That's why I think the tipping point will be a massive disaster of epic proportions. Trump has the senate. He has the courts. He's undermining the executive bureaucracy and trying to make it less independent. Some people who voted for Trump voted to shock the system. They're going to get their wish.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Obviously they did, as the German/Austro-Hungarian alliance rules Europe from border to bolder to this day.
It took "the Russian steamroller" out of the war.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
...Chump will no doubt claim politics and anger at the Comey firing...
If anything like that occurs, he will fall back onto his tried and true defense of lying about it.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Some people who voted for Trump voted to shock the system. They're going to get their wish.
We may all get their wish. Many already are. Of course, according to Trump, they like not getting paychecks. I think they should camp out on his golf courses.

I think that one way out of this is that Trump supporters (except for the top 1%) are going to get hit the hardest. They will, or course, continue to avoid those nasty things called facts. I suspect that if Trump makes it to 2020, they will simply not vote.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...diom-jig-is-up

ETA: Secondary cite
Quote:
"The expression suggests that the dance is over and that the time has come to pay the fiddler. However, its derivation is more complicated. 'Jig' is a very old term for a lively dance, but in Elizabethan times the word became slang for a practical joke or a trick. 'The jig is up' - meaning your trick or game is finished, has been exposed, we're onto you now - derives from this obsolete slang word, not the 'jig' that is a lively dance." From Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins by Robert Hendrickson
Yabbut:
Quote:
Although “the gig is up” could mean a short-term job (“gig”) has come to an end, it sounds more natural to say, “The gig is over.” In this new gig economy, where people work short-term, part-time jobs, often without benefits such as vacation, pension, overtime, or full-time status, we may hear “the gig is up” (or “over) many times in our lifetimes!
Since we're talking about Cheetolilni's short-term job coming to a conclusion, we could say, "the gig is up."
Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 PM

A gig is also the captain's dinghy. When the gig is down (in the water), the captain is off somewhere else; when the gig is up, the captain is back onboard and you better be behaving yourself again.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
An "asset" is not necessarily a willing co-conspirator.
True. It can also be a person who is subject to blackmail because of a tape of him consorting with prostitutes, or because the blackmailer with one phone call to the right oligarch can have all of the blackmailee's lines of credit cancelled.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I think they should camp out on his golf courses.
Or an Occupy Mar-a-Lago?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
A friendly bet, sure. I wouldn't bet the farm.

What if we're both right? How does the bet shake out?
Right on. We're not both right. The word is "jig" with a soft "j" sound, not "gig" which begins with a hard "g". If you can show me 6 recorded instances of anyone saying "the gig is up", I'll concede that we're both right, but you won't be able to. Meanwhile, I'll be happy to show you cite after cite and example after example of "the jig is up".

Not only that, a "gig" is a job, and no one says "the job is up", ever. No musician or other performer has ever ended a gig and noted that "the gig is up". My cite is 38 years of gigging.

I'll go first:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/the_jig_is_up
https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...diom-jig-is-up
https://grammarist.com/idiom/the-jig...he-game-is-up/
https://www.quora.com/Which-is-corre...-The-gig-is-up
https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_...sages/720.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXR9fbPqjQ
Old 01-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Yabbut:

Since we're talking about Cheetolilni's short-term job coming to a conclusion, we could say, "the gig is up."
Wow.

Okay, so now you're going from "correcting" me to trying to show that another usage could also be right?

Hey: go fuck yourself, asshole. "Correct" me like that again and I won't offer you an easy way out, I'll just tell you to fuck off, k?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-12-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Well that escalated quickly.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Seemed a little intense.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Or an Occupy Mar-a-Lago?
Not enough room and the décor sucks.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
A gig is also the captain's dinghy. When the gig is down (in the water), the captain is off somewhere else; when the gig is up, the captain is back onboard and you better be behaving yourself again.
Does the captain's dinghy have a strange, mushroom-like shape? And what does it mean if it is found in the quarry?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
It took "the Russian steamroller" out of the war.
Not really, though. Lenin was in Zurich at the time of the February revolution as well as when Nicky stepped down. That was the major turning point for Russia. He then gathered some friends and managed to get safe passage back to his country. The Germans did not take an active role in getting Lenin back to Russia as JohnT suggests, they merely allowed him to get there himself.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm. My sources say differently:

Quote:
The German government was at war with Russia, but it nonetheless agreed to help Lenin return home. Germany saw “in this obscure fanatic one more bacillus to let loose in tottering and exhausted Russia to spread infection,” Crankshaw writes.

On April 9, Lenin and his 31 comrades gathered at Zurich station. A group of about 100 Russians, enraged that the revolutionaries had arranged passage by negotiating with the German enemy, jeered at the departing company. “Provocateurs! Spies! Pigs! Traitors!” the demonstrators shouted, in a scene documented by historian Michael Pearson. “The Kaiser is paying for the journey....They’re going to hang you...like German spies.” (Evidence suggests that German financiers did, in fact, secretly fund Lenin and his circle.)

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/trave...7EO4SxRfqPB.99
Old 01-12-2019, 02:30 PM

nm

Last edited by dropzone; 01-12-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone on Twitter View Post
Why don't we protect the border with thoughts and prayers? It's what we use to protect our schools.
And we should get Mexico to pray for it.

Last edited by 1iLeft; 01-12-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Seemed a little intense.

Perhaps the gig is indeed up.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Wow.

Okay, so now you're going from "correcting" me to trying to show that another usage could also be right?

Hey: go fuck yourself, asshole. "Correct" me like that again and I won't offer you an easy way out, I'll just tell you to fuck off, k?
Whoa, dude -- might wanna switch to decaf there, mmkay?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
We might need to brring Cecil out of retirement to settle this one. I wonder what his consultant fee is.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-12-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
We aren't actually. A sitting president can be impeached, and subsequent to conviction, be removed from office; only THEN can he be tried for treason, convicted, and executed.

But as Johnny L.A. points out, he shouldn't. This is because capital punishment is morally wrong, always and everywhere, and always has been, since the beginning of time.

Tan the Conman is certainly anti-America and a traitor to America and its values in more ways than one; however, he hasn't met the constitutional definition of treason...yet.

Quote:
We may all get their wish. Many already are. Of course, according to Trump, they like not getting paychecks. I think they should camp out on his golf courses.

I think that one way out of this is that Trump supporters (except for the top 1%) are going to get hit the hardest. They will, or course, continue to avoid those nasty things called facts. I suspect that if Trump makes it to 2020, they will simply not vote.

Dream on. They will never blame him. They will turn out in greater numbers to ensure his re-election. And if he gets impeached or assassinated before then, every conspircy known previously will pale in comparison to the one they will create as to why and how that happened. And innocent people will die at their hands "for being part of the takedown of the greatest president we ever had".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iLeft View Post
And we should get Mexico to pray for it.

Awesome!
Old 01-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Tan the Conman is certainly anti-America and a traitor to America and its values in more ways than one; however, he hasn't met the constitutional definition of treason...yet.

Dream on. They will never blame him. They will turn out in greater numbers to ensure his re-election. And if he gets impeached or assassinated before then, every conspircy known previously will pale in comparison to the one they will create as to why and how that happened. And innocent people will die at their hands "for being part of the takedown of the greatest president we ever had".

Awesome!

It’s true. Trump supporters have a sado-masochistic relationship with their hero. The more he hurts them, the more they like him. It’s a very strange phenomena.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
It’s true. Trump supporters have a sado-masochistic relationship with their hero. The more he hurts them, the more they like him. It’s a very strange phenomena.
If he's hurting them, they just imagine how much he's hurting the people they don't like.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
^This. Too many media figures are going with "Trump versus Pelosi" as the ratings-grabbing story.

The actual story is that McConnell, by refusing to act on his oath of office, is almost single-handedly responsible for the continuance of this debacle.

This may be part of what's going on with McConnell--if he's not personally compromised, his wife may be.

(my emphasis)
I think he's just another ReTrumpican who is dirty as hell and belongs to Putin.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I can't help but wonder how many people still believe the election of Trump was as a result of a legitimate election.
Huh? I think it's more a case of "we 'won' and don't give a fat flying orange fuck how".
Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Huh? I think it's more a case of "we 'won' and don't give a fat flying orange fuck how".
He "won" on a procedural technicality. Not the same thing as outright winning. And that fact will be stuck in his craw forever.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 01-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I think he's just another ReTrumpican who is dirty as hell and belongs to Putin.
One liberal conspiracy theory I've heard is that McConnell, Ryan, et al have been recorded telling the NRA how to funnel Russian/oligarch money to the RNC and cover it up. What seemed totally crazy at the beginning of this clusterfuck doesn't seem so surprising anymore. I don't think I'd be shocked if that turned out to be true.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
You will notice that Aspenglow's post says “people”. That is a much broader category than “MAGAts”, or even “Republicans”. We know, from 538, that just now, almost 54% of America disapproves of Shitgibbon, that he has been above 50% disapproval since his 52nd day in usurpery office, and from the week after that, he has not been better than 51.3% of ick.

So, “we won …” is a damn small number of Americans, and even the “eh, whatevar” contingent is drifting/plunging toward the “holy-fuck-what-is-wrong-with-that-shitstain” camp.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Please help me understand English,
CFSG: Humanitarian Crisis at our Southern Border. I just got back and it is a far worse situation than almost anyone would understand, an invasion! I have been there numerous times – The Democrats Cryin' Chuck and Nancy don't know how bad and dangerous it is for our ENTIRE COUNTRY....
“Humanitarian Crisis”: we are being invaded! I am having a very hard time trying to make those two things fit together. What am I doing wrong?
The only crisis we have, is the traitor bastard in the White House, and the other traitor bastards that keep covering for him and helping him.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
An "asset" is not necessarily a willing co-conspirator.
Oh, he is willing and knows. No way he does not know, or is unwilling.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Ain't gonna happen. (Nor should it.)
Why not? I sure wouldn't mind.

He says "elections have consequences". The midterms don't count I guess, because they didn't go his way, but betrayal and treason should have consequences.

And a good old fashioned hanging would send just the right message to the rest of the traitors, and anyone else considering it.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I hope the bastards in deepest darkest Trumpland aren't getting their subsidies either. I really do.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
If he's hurting them, they just imagine how much he's hurting the people they don't like.
That one asshole did complain that he wasn't hurting THE RIGHT people.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Why not? I sure wouldn't mind.

He says "elections have consequences". The midterms don't count I guess, because they didn't go his way, but betrayal and treason should have consequences.

And a good old fashioned hanging would send just the right message to the rest of the traitors, and anyone else considering it.
Are you going full-asahi on us now? Yes, elections have consequences, and honestly, I feel like presidents and executroids are far too well insulated from the effects of their decisions or from bearing any of the cost of their mistakes, but hanging them really helps no one, ever. If you want to punish him, confiscate everything he owns and make him try to support his newly indigent family by folding tacos – the long, drawn-out punishment is much more satisfying, and the convict does not get the relief of the quick consummation.

Last edited by eschereal; 01-12-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 PM

The Border patrol Union supports Trump's call for a wall. But just last week, they removed from their website a page from 2012 which explained why building a wall isn't a good idea.
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...ences-1081250?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Operative word there was "necessarily". As in ain't necessarily so.

For instance, if you were a professional paranoid, like Putin....a wildly successful paranoid, let it be noted...how likely would you be to advise a shit-for-brains motormouth as to your ultra-secret conspiracy? Wouldn't it be simpler just to nail your pecker to a tree and set the tree on fire?

I'm betting the plan was more along the lines of subversion. How hard would it be to convince Trump that his Russian buddies simply recognize his brilliance? That they are eager to lend money because they know a winner when they see him?

Now, even given this scenario, it might still happen that he catches on. Eventually. But then...so what? He's caught. Classic Moscow Centre money trap.

Anyway, when the target is stupid and easily manipulated, a dupe is much less risky than a partner.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
...If you want to punish him, confiscate everything he owns and make him try to support his newly indigent family by folding tacos – the long, drawn-out punishment is much more satisfying, and the convict does not get the relief of the quick consummation.
Quote:
You know, it occurs to me that the best way you hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people.
-Billy Ray Valentine, Trading Places
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why not? I sure wouldn't mind...

• Because, like kaylasdad99, I think capital punishment is wrong.
  • Killing a head of state is a bad precedent.
  • Once someone is dead, the punishment is over. I want The Traitor to America to suffer for the rest of a very long life for what he has done and is doing.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I doubt it. I'm sure Putin reveres Lenin, considering Putin is still angry about the dissolution of the USSR.
No, Putin is very anti-Lenin. I have zero doubt that the parallels here have occurred to Putin.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...b-under-russia

Of course, it being Russia, Putin's relationship with Communism is complicated. He doesn't care for appeals to the revolutionary spirit of 1917, prefers to refer to Russia as having one uninterrupted existence from 1300-today, but he also won't completely denounce it.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Are you going full-asahi on us now? Yes, elections have consequences, and honestly, I feel like presidents and executroids are far too well insulated from the effects of their decisions or from bearing any of the cost of their mistakes, but hanging them really helps no one, ever. If you want to punish him, confiscate everything he owns and make him try to support his newly indigent family by folding tacos – the long, drawn-out punishment is much more satisfying, and the convict does not get the relief of the quick consummation.
Fine. Lock him up forever, hard time. You can't just take all his shit away and let him run loose. He'll just find ways (charities, scams, Russia) to get it all back and he is a giant unprecedented security risk.

Hanging him OR locking him away forever to do hard time - after a fair PUBLIC trial of course - is not just about punishment. It stops him from doing any further leaking to the Russians, it tells the entire country that there is a law and no one is above it, and it sends a very clear message to any other traitors or wannabe traitors out there.

Harsh punishment is the most clear and practical thing to do. He can NEVER go free. Not for all the damage he's done and all the damage he could STILL do later.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Wow.

Hahaha!

You're stupid when you're dumb.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40 PM

Putin' goal is to re-institute Soviet era methodology without all the Commie nonsense that brought down the Soviet Union.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Putin' goal is to re-institute Soviet era methodology without all the Commie nonsense that brought down the Soviet Union.
He's already got American right-wingers to bend over and spread their ass cheeks for the Russian bear. This would have been unimaginable a generation ago. Putin is a magician.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
We aren't actually. A sitting president can be impeached, and subsequent to conviction, be removed from office; only THEN can he be tried for treason, convicted, and executed.

But as Johnny L.A. points out, he shouldn't. This is because capital punishment is morally wrong, always and everywhere, and always has been, since the beginning of time.
Just saying that's what the debate may gravitate toward.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Actually - I think he simply doesn't care - he (in his mind) is 'winning' and that is all that matters - he doesn't care about the rules, laws or anything else - they simply don't apply to him.

He's the guy who thinks he's smarter than the nigerian prince - so smart/stable that he can't be manipulated - and that's exactly why he does.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Just saying that's what the debate may gravitate toward.
'We're gonna give you a fair trial, followed by a first class hanging.'
Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Now you're talkin'.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
And Trump will die happy, knowing people will say he was hung.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
And Trump will die happy, knowing people will say he was hung.
Well-hung.