Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 PM

Just saw Antman trivial question...

So....Pym particles on an unshielded organic creature is an instakill???

SO...Lang could have ended Thanos in 2 seconds? Nevermind that going up his butt stuff. Just use Cross's gun and its game over.

Why does Lang even bother growing to Giantman and meleeing with giant flying space lizards? Just stand in the back with a Pym Particle Gun and splat the entire Black Order and Thanos.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
So....Pym particles on an unshielded organic creature is an instakill???
What's your source on this? I'm not arguing but I don't recall hearing that.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:04 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
What's your source on this? I'm not arguing but I don't recall hearing that.
I don't, either, and I can think of at least one example in Ant-Man in which it was definitely not the case:

SPOILER:
The ant which was accididentally embiggened late in the film, and which wound up being Cassie's pet in the final scenes.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:04 PM

I assume Dale is talking about Darren murdering Frank in the bathroom?

I'm not sure that MCU has thought that hard about it.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Cross used unshielded particles to kill a human (and some sheep). But remember on Titan that Thanos took on weapons that would easily kill any human (or sheep), only to get a scratch on his face.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Attempting to find logic and consistency in how Pym particles work is a fool's errand. It's always and only ever been about plot convenience. Lang could not have defeated Thanos in 2 seconds, for the simple reason that that would break the movie.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Cross used unshielded particles to kill a human (and some sheep).
But those were not the finalized form IIRC. As soon as the particles worked you had the scene of Cross being a dick to a tiny sheep.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
But those were not the finalized form IIRC. As soon as the particles worked you had the scene of Cross being a dick to a tiny sheep.
Yeah, and what Dale is proposing is using those unfinalized particles to kill Thanos.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:28 PM

It seems some kind of containment and field is needed to keep organic material from splatting. That's what Cross discovered when he was being a dick to mini-sheep

Last edited by Dale Sams; 08-19-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
But remember on Titan that Thanos took on weapons that would easily kill any human (or sheep), only to get a scratch on his face.
Thinking about this, there's two other reasons why Scott didn't even try:
1) He had no idea (and I'm not sure anyone did) that Cross killed a guy with a Pym Particle gun.
2) He had very limited Pym particles left. They used up all of their time-traveling. Rogers grabbed a few more vials to get back and gave the remainder to Scott. I'm pretty sure Scott only shrank once and then grew to Giant-Man once in the final battle.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:02 PM

I also can't help but think of Number Two from Austin Powers

"Mr. Cross, this Yellowjacket idea is intriguing but being able to shrink inorganic material alone has the ability to reap massive financial benefits for this company."

Later:

"You've figured out how to shrink people and you want to sell the tech to....supervillains?? Why don't we keep it and all become kabillionaires?"
Old 08-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

And of course, he (and the rest of the Avengers) is fundamentally a hero. He's not naturally inclined towards thinking "How can I make a particularly horrific weapon?". If he had heard of the early sheep experiments, his natural response would be "How can we make this work right?", not "I can make use of that as-is".

Probably if someone else had suggested the idea to him, he'd have accepted it as being necessary for stopping Thanos, but it wouldn't have ever occurred to him if it wasn't suggested.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I also can't help but think of Number Two from Austin Powers

"Mr. Cross, this Yellowjacket idea is intriguing but being able to shrink inorganic material alone has the ability to reap massive financial benefits for this company."

Later:

"You've figured out how to shrink people and you want to sell the tech to....supervillains?? Why don't we keep it and all become kabillionaires?"
*pushes up glasses*
Cross mentions that the company has already had great success from shrinking inorganic material. And Pym explained that being constantly exposed to Pym Particles screwed up Cross in the head.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Even if it wouldn't have killed him...could he just have SHRUNK Thanos? And plopped him in a sturdy but tasteful jar?