Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2019, 07:52 PM

I don’t see it.

Take another example: there’s an Amendment that says the right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age. I like to think I get what that means; I like to think we’re on the same page about it, too.

Imagine that they (a) wrote it that way, but (b) stuck something in front of it. Like, imagine it says: “Women who are more than fifty years old, typically being wiser and more experienced than women who are less than thirty, the right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.”

That’d be weird, but I wouldn’t actually give a crap about the part in front. I mean, I can still see the part where it declares stuff about the rights of citizens of the United States who are eighteen years of age or older; it’s still right there, y’know? It doesn’t limit itself to women; it doesn’t draw a line at fifty, or thirty. I just see where it says things about citizens of the United States who are eighteen years or older, and I still see it flatly putting that out there even for men in their twenties even though it first yammers on for some reason about women who are over fifty.