Old 08-22-2019, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Japan's Rising Sun flag? The sun I can totally see: it looks like a sun. Today, however, I realized that the color was not quite the normal color of the sun but that was okay because yellowish white is hard to put on a flag. Then I realized that the sun as it is rising is indeed red.
It probably wasn't a factor when Japan adopted its flag but the classic laws of heraldry prohibit having white and yellow touching.

But look at the Papal flag, which clearly has yellow and white touching. That was intentional; it was supposed to demonstrate that the Pope, as God's representative, did not have to submit to any secular laws.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:27 AM

I was watching the video for Up Up Down Down by Kirby Krackle, earlier. I've watched it a bazillion times.

There's a twist at the end -
SPOILER:
she's a serial killer and the singer is her latest victim
- which, upon this rewatch, I realized was forshadowed by the girl's choice of clothes...
SPOILER:
Her shirt has the Poison Mushroom from Super Mario Bros. II/The Lost Levels (depending whether you're talking about the Japanese or US version, respectively). Boy should have seen it coming.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:54 PM

I don't know if this has been covered, but for me it was the old TV show "The Prisoner" which I binge watched on dvd recently.

One of the ongoing themes is Drake trying to find out who is "Number One", the person in charge of the Village. In the intro he asks his interrogator "Who is Number One?", the answer is "You are number 6." Which I always took to be a reply reinforcing to Drake what his own number is.

However, in the last episode, he pulls back Number 1's mask and sees himself, which totally changes the response to the intro question: "You are, Number Six". It was staring us in the face the entire series.

The belief is that he was the head of the Village and he gave himself an amnesia treatment and had himself placed in there as a "Prisoner" to test if the village was escape proof.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
I don't know if this has been covered, but for me it was the old TV show "The Prisoner" which I binge watched on dvd recently.

One of the ongoing themes is Drake trying to find out who is "Number One", the person in charge of the Village. In the intro he asks his interrogator "Who is Number One?", the answer is "You are number 6." Which I always took to be a reply reinforcing to Drake what his own number is.

However, in the last episode, he pulls back Number 1's mask and sees himself, which totally changes the response to the intro question: "You are, Number Six". It was staring us in the face the entire series.

The belief is that he was the head of the Village and he gave himself an amnesia treatment and had himself placed in there as a "Prisoner" to test if the village was escape proof.
Congratulations -- you've discovered what is possibly the answer (especially considering how, in the last episode, Fallout, The Prisoner pulls off the mask on Number One and sees his own face*. his idea has been bruited about for the past few decades among Prisoner aficionados. But I don't think I've heard the idea of his giving himself amnesia to "test" the Village effectiveness.

One of my friends suggested that all of the series effectively takes place in The Prisoner's own mind. He hypothesized that, as an agent, he was given information or an assignment that collided so strongly with his own beliefs and code of ethics that he retreated into his own mind, and he imagined it all. That explains how "They" can know so much, and why people he thought were undoubtedly on "his side" turn out to be turncoats.

Although lots of places claim that The Prisoner was really Drake, McGoohan's character from Secret Agent/Danger Man (including one of the novels based on the series), McGoohan has consistently denied it. Arguably, that's to avoid giving royalties to the folks responsible for that earlier series. McGoohan liked playing secret agents, and portrayed others in his career.

*Of course, another mask-pull revealed an ape, so make of that what you will.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:29 AM

I chose to ignore the ape face part since that didn't fit into my theory

I also thought it was interesting how McGoohan supposedly went into hiding after the finale aired because fans were so pissed off. I'm sure there's already thread here for "Series Finales that were a Disaster"
Old 08-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I knew that Janis Joplin's version of "Me and Bobby McGee" was a cover and that Kris Kristofferson wrote the song and sang it before Joplin.

But I recently found out that the song was originally recorded by Roger Miller. And then I checked and found out that Gordon Lightfoot, Kenny Rogers, the Stonemans, Charley Pride, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, and the Statler Brothers all did a cover before Kristofferson released his version. So Joplin's cover was the ninth release of the song. And all of these versions were recorded and released in an eighteen month period.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 08-26-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I just came across a clip from the Batman The Brave and the Bold cartoon featuring the obscure Batman villain The Music Meister. I realized that the villain in the musical episode of The Flash is basically (supposed to be?) the same villain.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I just came across a clip from the Batman The Brave and the Bold cartoon featuring the obscure Batman villain The Music Meister. I realized that the villain in the musical episode of The Flash is basically (supposed to be?) the same villain.
Yeah. I strongly suspect that without the B&B episode raising the Meister's profile a bit, he wouldn't have been used in Flash/Supergirl.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Music Meister was created for B:tBatB.

There have been similar characters, such as the DCAU's Music Master (and Music Master's influence, Fiddler), but the Brave and the Bold character was the first Music Meister.

I suspect, though, given the similarity of name and design (the red hair, the diastema, the tie) that Music Meister began life as a version of Music Master, but for some reason they decided not to use that name.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 PM

Thanks! I didn't know that (obviously)
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

A (male) friend of mine just told me that he considers America's "Sister Golden Hair" to be a song about impotence.

Well I tried to make it Sunday, but I got so damn depressed
That I set my sights on Monday and I got myself undressed
I ain't ready for the altar but I do agree there's times
When a woman sure can be a friend of mine.

Mmmmm.....Could be.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 AM

But then why would he be getting undressed, just after trying to make it? A leather fetish?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

To get some sleep, and stop being depressed?
Old 08-29-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
I chose to ignore the ape face part since that didn't fit into my theory
My pet theory remains that — well, there were only 17 episodes; here’s the plan from one: “You know, you really do bear a remarkable resemblance; remarkable. Your job, Number Twelve, will be to impersonate him. Take his sense of reality away. Once he begins to doubt his own identity, he'll crack.”

That’s it.

That was their whole plan in that episode: confront him with a guy who appears to be him, and — hope. Not to be confused with the episode where he’s told that he’s now in charge, since the reveal will then be ever so demoralizing; and not to be confused with the one where he seems free to leave, because, wow, yanking that out from under him will surely do the trick, huh?

They’re, uh, not great at this; those failures were the best plans they could think up. Final episode: will they think up something cleverer? Not really, no; again, they pretty much top out at ‘confront him with a lookalike, and tell him he’s in charge now, and make it seem like he’s free to leave’. And, again, it doesn’t succeed. What? Ape mask? Well, okay; I mean, for them, that’s a genius breakthrough.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
I was watching the video for Up Up Down Down by Kirby Krackle, earlier. I've watched it a bazillion times.

There's a twist at the end -
SPOILER:
she's a serial killer and the singer is her latest victim
- which, upon this rewatch, I realized was forshadowed by the girl's choice of clothes...
SPOILER:
Her shirt has the Poison Mushroom from Super Mario Bros. II/The Lost Levels (depending whether you're talking about the Japanese or US version, respectively). Boy should have seen it coming.
That band must be big comic book fans.
https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/simona.../archives/3997
Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
But then why would he be getting undressed, just after trying to make it? A leather fetish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
To get some sleep, and stop being depressed?
Wouldn’t he have already been undressed for sexy funtime? I think that was Irishman’s point.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
That band must be big comic book fans.
Yeah. It's kind of their thing. They're nerd-rock.

Their songs heavily reference comic books and video games.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I've been reading the webcomic Scandinavia and the World off and on for years. But I never knew the creator was a woman until she happened to mention it in a comment to a strip.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Maybe he tried to make it Sunday but got too depressed. On Monday, he got as far as taking his clothes off, but couldn't get any further.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Maybe when they were kissing and fumbling with their clothing he realized "it ain't gonna happen." So he gets undressed for bed.

Right, like that's never happened to all you male folks.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
I was watching "The Predator" last weekend, very stupid movie but I had fun and thats all that matters. ...
I was hearing from my high school-age son last night about the short story he's reading in English class, "The Most Dangerous Game." Plot: Guy falls off boat and swims ashore to an island where a crazy guy hunts men for sport, because of the challenge.

It just occurred to me then that the story of "The Predator" is basically the same, and likely inspired by that short story: Alien comes to Earth to hunt men (armed mercenary types) for the sport of it.

Last edited by Limmin; 09-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Some observations about Harry Chapin's Cat's In The Cradle

The song's versions have ten years between them. The son gets born, then its his 10th birthday, then he comes home from college as a 20 year old man, and finally he's a 30 year old with a job and children.

Since the singer has "long since retired" in the last verse, let's say he's 70. That makers him 40 and a middle management type when his son is born, 50 and too old to play ball on his son's 10th birthday, an old man of 60 when his son comes from from college and doesn't want to hang out with him, and 70 at the end.

However, he is a neglectful father, too busy with work to be a parent. His son's last last "the new job's a hassle and the kids have the flu" show that his son pays attention to his own chuildren, and is a hands on parent.

So to add two decades to the lyrics:

I'm now in a home and I miss my son.
He tells me his kids have a lot of fun.
I wish that he would just stop by.
I'm so old and how time does fly.
He's really become a hands on dad.
Having the fun we never had.
And the cat's in the cradle....

Now that I'm 80, there's one trip I have to take
My son, the grands and great grands came over for cake.
My life is pretty much at the end.
I wish I could do it all again.
And this time really connect with my son.
I guess I'm not the only one.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Ghost, one of my favourite bands, just released a new EP, 7 Inches of Satanic Panic.

I have been earwormed by the first song on it, Kiss the Go-Goat basically since the thing came out. But the title was bugging me. I knew there was some sort of gag in 'Go-Goat', but I couldn't figure it out.

Then I saw someone mention that the video (set in 1969, when 7 Inches was supposedly originally released) featured go-go dancers.

Then it hit me (like an angry go-go dancing goat).
Old 10-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Ghost, one of my favourite bands, just released a new EP, 7 Inches of Satanic Panic.

I have been earwormed by the first song on it, Kiss the Go-Goat basically since the thing came out. But the title was bugging me. I knew there was some sort of gag in 'Go-Goat', but I couldn't figure it out.

Then I saw someone mention that the video (set in 1969, when 7 Inches was supposedly originally released) featured go-go dancers.

Then it hit me (like an angry go-go dancing goat).
I've never heard of that band, so I watched that video. Is that like a parody or satire band or something?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:41 PM

Not as such, but they don't take themselves particularly seriously - the band's premise required either being slightly goofy, or super-serious, and they chose the former. The storyline videos that started in the runup to Prequelle particularly lean into it - Papa Nihil (the old man) is way sillier than the Papas Emeritus or Cardinal Copia (the lead singer's personae - although he also sings for Papa Nihil on 7 Inches, he doesn't perform him beyond that) have ever been, but even they can be pretty goofy (particularly Papa III and Cardi C).
Old 10-11-2019, 04:10 AM

Currently reading Pete Townshend's and Roger Daltrey's autobiographies...

And finally I learn what "Quadrophenia" means.

The main character has four sides to his personality - a quadro-schizophrenia.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I don't know how often or how long I've stared at the waistband of my Haines underwear but I just noticed that the name and the colors of the logo are printed in reverse on the inside of the waistband.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Just got back from 2 weeks in England. While I was checking a bus stop time table I saw a reference to route 66N - N being the night bus.

Wait.. Harry Potter had the Knight Bus... Knight....Night

In my defense I'm an ignorant Yank and have never encountered the term Night Bus, but the pun is pretty obvious in retrospect.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 PM

I would mock, but the length of time it took me to get Diagon Alley was...embarrassing.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

But did you get Knockturn Alley yet?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

I caught a still of the very first episode of Doctor Who and the junkyard where the TARDIS was first revealed.

The name on the yard was I.M. Foreman = I am for man.

Which pretty much sums up the Doctor.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 PM

The Kinks song Long Distance was a favorite of mine in college, but I never quite understood one line

"Three days to kill and my <something> getting low" - I could never quite figure out what that word was (this was in the 1980s - no Google and I didn't have the liner notes). Then I graduated and got a job, and eventually played that album again - and realized of course that the word was "per diem" which makes perfect sense.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
But did you get Knockturn Alley yet?

(Kidding. I actually got that one immediately. I don't know why Diagon Alley eluded me for so long.)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

My guilty reading pleasure is cozy mysteries. Over the past few days, I read Leslie Meier's four Luy Stone Halloween murder mysteries in order: Trick or Treat Murder, Wicked Witch Murder, Candy Corn Murder and Haunted House Murder. I noted the titles all had two word alliterative phrase and thought T, W, C, H." Then my brain transposed the "W' to the front of the line, making W_T_C_H.

If that's not a coincidence, I don't know what two word phrase associated with Halloween and beginning with I.I. can be used to complete it.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 10-16-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know how often or how long I've stared at the waistband of my Haines underwear but I just noticed that the name and the colors of the logo are printed in reverse on the inside of the waistband.
They're not printed, they're woven, which is why they're reversed.

Also, it's Hanes, not Haines.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
The A stands for Audi. At least that's all I can figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Aluminium, I think. The A-line was introduced when they replaced the steel platform with an all-aluminium space frame, which was reportedly the first implementation of one in a mass-market car.
This thread is from 2009 but currently the answer is the A in Audi models means "Audi." I'm so sorry.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
This thread is from 2009 but currently the answer is the A in Audi models means "Audi." I'm so sorry.
Upon further inspection, it could be that Audi nomenclature uses the letter “A” for the Sedan / Hatchback body shape.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:23 PM

I only recently realized the Paul McCartney is putting on an American accent at the beginning of Rocky Raccoon.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

And it's the wrong accent. It sounds like an exaggerated Southern accent. The song takes place in Dakota. It doesn't say whether it's North or South Dakota. They don't talk like that there.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

In another recording of the song, it says that it takes place in Minnesota.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:10 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
And it's the wrong accent. It sounds like an exaggerated Southern accent. The song takes place in Dakota. It doesn't say whether it's North or South Dakota. They don't talk like that there.
I always thought it was intentional. "Black Mountain Hills of Dakota" and so forth. Just Paul having fun being faux American.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 10-18-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:37 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
If it's a southern accent, must be South Dakota.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:51 AM

Having watched Full Metal Jacket umpteen times, I just noticed something the other day watching it on cable. Starting with the second half of the film that takes place in Vietnam, Joker's (Mathew Modine) exposure to the death and violence of the Vietnam War gets more personal and intimate as the film progresses:
-Joker's first "kills" on film are while manning the M60, defending the Marine base at Da Nang. He is basically shooting at distant shapes from a fortified position, surrounded by his friends from his unit.
-Next, Joker and Rafterman are embedded in a large Marine operation during the Battle of Hue, where they come across a mass grave of civilians killed by the NVA.
-During the same operation, joins his friend Cowboy and the "Lusthog Squad". He then witnesses the platoon commander "Touchdown" get killed by a mortar attack.
-There is a firefight where another marine is killed and later some Viet Cong, but it's still action taking place at relatively long distances.
-The "Lusthog Squad" is detached from the main force and their squad leader is killed by a booby trap.
-Joker's friend Cowboy is now squad leader and two members of the squad are taken out by a sniper.
-Cowboy is killed by the sniper.
-Joker comes face to face with the sniper and is nearly killed when his M16 misfires.
-Joker executes / mercy kills the mortally wounded sniper at point blank range with his sidearm.

Generally speaking, it transitions from Joker surrounded by people he knows and trusts, fighting the war at arms length in relative safety, to being around strangers, watching people he knows getting killed and ultimately facing and dealing death himself.

Another reason why I think Full Metal Jacket is one of the greatest war movies ever. The contributions of Joker, Cowboy and the Lusthog Squad are relatively inconsequential in the grand scheme of the Battle of Hue, let alone the Vietnam War. But that doesn't lesson Joker's journey from detached smartass to hard core warrior.

Last edited by msmith537; 10-20-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:29 PM

Titanic: Jack, to Rose: "The boat's gonna suck us down...Do not! Let go! Of my hand!" He's saying that for his sake, not hers! She's wearing a life jacket and he's not, so he's counting on her to pull him up with her.

[Please, please, I beg of you all, don't bring up the debris (not door) and who could have been on it. Enough already.]
Old 10-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

And wasn't it a grand time when Mary Poppins had her merry pop-in?

Only took me over 50 years to come up with that one!
Old 10-22-2019, 04:58 PM

So I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac's Gypsy from the ol' memory card on the automobile stereo this morning and I get to my favorite line:

"And a memory is all that's left of you now"

And it's wait a gol-darned second there. Did I just hear

"And a memory is all that's left for you now"

Um. That changes things. I like my version better. But ...

FtG: Mishearing song lyrics since 1982 (and earlier).
Old 10-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Last night I started watching this Netflix movie called "The Outsider" with Jared Leto in a very "minimal dialogue" role. The movie takes place in 1954 Japan, and is about this american joining a Yakuza family in post-war Japan.
At one point, he is invited to join the family and it is explained that once he accepts, he is now a "brother" with the rest of the "gang" with allegiance to the one "father" (think Vito Corleone). When you join the family, you become a "brother" - kind of like marines.

It then hits me that this 2000 movie "Brother" was being clever with the dual use of the term. That story is about "Beat" Takeshi, a Yakuza member, being sent to live with his (biological ?) brother in Los Angeles as part of a settlement for this feud. Once in LA, Takeshi grows his brother's gang into a major organization.

All this time, I thought the title referred to Takeshi being a (biological) brother to the guy in LA. But it was in reference to him being a "brother" in the Yakuza as well.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 AM

As this thread is still going, I thought I would share. My first theater experience was going to see Fiddler on the Roof. I remember being very frightened by the cemetery scene, where the dead rise from their graves and criticize people's marriage choices. (I was five). Growing up saw the movie several times and listened to mom play the soundtrack uncounted times. Hadn't seen/heard it since moving away from home, so several decades.

Recently the movie was on my local PBS station and I watched for old times. Noticed two things I hadn't before. The opening song is "Tradition". A large number of traditions are named, and by the end of the story nearly ever one had been broken. The second, and really slap you in the face obvious thing is that cemetery scene. There was no dream. Her ancestors didn't rise and insist on the tailor. It was all a lie to make it his wife's fault that he was going to break his promise to Laser Wolf "The Butcher". (With a name like that, can you blame him for not wanting to get on his bad side?)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a big user of Reddit and didn't know its history. So I was surprised to find out that the name is supposed to seen as "read it" because it started out as a place to post headlines and links to news articles and other stuff people wanted to share on the internet.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

It occurred to me after reading this https://www.straightdope.com/columns...the-west-melt/ that David Dunn in Unbreakable has the same weakness as the Wicked Witch of the West.

Last edited by furryman; 11-06-2019 at 02:24 PM.