Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Yes, the pattern is always the same. My favorite part is when the backpedaling and defensive justification starts. Just think of it as naive performance art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I think Ace is an act but he’s damn entertaining. He’s like a parody of a dumb, harmless elderly uncle from a late night TV show sketch.
That's exactly what it is (minus the entertaining part). Except in this case it's easy to believe that the writer is as big a provincial dumbass as his character is.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I told myself I was going to stop posting about Acey's general obliviousness, and stick to his actively harmful posts when he dabbles in ridiculously outdated views on women and minorities.

I managed to resist when he posted about how the sun blinded him while driving, so he just kept going and crashed head-on into a stationary car.

My resolve started to weaken when I saw his post about inventing the Arnold Palmer drink, calling it his "contribution to the culinary world." But I held out...until I got to his line "I didn't know Sparkling meant carbonated."

This can't be for real, right?
I can't tell if he is real or not, but that thread had me laughing. Some of those responses are hilarious!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
You know the nice thing about Ace? He's not malicious. Wait, two nice things. He will adjust his world view when confronted with public outcry and/or facts.
I don't think he actually adjusts his world view in the way that an open-minded person may reconsider things when challenged for good reason. I think he's terrified of conflict, and so there's a familar pattern with so many of his OPs:

1. He starts out with some kind of 7th grade, conventional wisdom on an issue
2. People explain that it's not that simple
3. He resists
4. People persist
5. He ends up mostly agreeing, probably to quell the argument

If he were on a right-wing message board and posted a link to the story about Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Pence working on the honey bee problem and that it's nice to see two ladies working to save bees, because of some reminiscence of bees from long ago; on that right-wing board he'd probably get a bunch of flak for saying nice things about Michelle Obama. And he'd probably end up saying that Mrs. Pence's beehive is a better idea than Michelle's garden.... just to stop people from criticizing him.

But I agree: he's a frustrating poster, ad sometimes really fucking weird, but I just can't get too mad at him because it isn't like he's wishing harm on people in the manner of some other odious posters.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
3. He resists
4. People persist
Step 5 is less agreeing and more pretending he never actually disagreed in the first place.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:22 PM

A little refresher might be in order. Ace might not be malicious if you're a older white male, but his views aren't harmless to everyone else.

This thread started because he excused a 14-year old boy fondling a 5-year old as "playing doctor". Look at page 1 for that shitshow.

And then remember when he argued that commenting on a 12-year old's tits was a compliment? And when called on it, his defense was that he was talking about 15-year olds, because of course it's skeevy if they're only 12?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Comparing a girl to Dolly Parton used to be considered a compliment. Now its sexual harassment. Welcome to the new politically correct world.
How about his defense of slavery because the slaves had it pretty good - "they had lives just like anybody else."

Dr. Who is a woman? Political correctness run amok, "this is getting embarrassing."

Congratulations are in order for the 16-year old student who was raped by his teacher, because Acey "was still beating off to Playboy at that age."

Interracial couples still turn heads because they're so odd. Not Acey's head, of course, because he totally supports their right to do weird stuff.

And of course, there's his Nazi apologist arguments. Remember the incident in Charlottesville where a woman was killed by a Nazi? It was the left's fault.

And the "left leaning loonies" want to take away his Southern culture, meaning Confederate monuments, Dixie, the Confederate flag, and evidently the Klan (his argument isn't too coherent).

Sheriff Arpaio was just doing his job (assuming his job was to illegally target minorities).

Transgenders should be banned in the military because obviously men will just rape them. And when called on some flaws in that logic, he decided that all women should be banned as well.

There are his arguments against ISIS, which always seem to morph into complaints about Muslims in general.

And I already spent way too much time on this, so I'll stop here.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 PM

Thank you Troutman. I had put him into the "annoying great-uncle" bucket. I'll try to keep my idjits straight in future.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
A little refresher might be in order. Ace might not be malicious if you're a older white male, but his views aren't harmless to everyone else.
As an older white male, I am offended by the way Ace perpetuates the stereotype that we're all clueless idiots.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Ace on a female to male transgender athlete who would like to compete against boys but is instead being forced to compete against girls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It's sickening to think hundreds of athletes have to compete against this special snowflake jacked up on Testosterone.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:09 PM

I wonder if Acey ties an onion to his belt?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I wonder if Acey ties an onion to his belt?
He hasn't invented "string" yet.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 PM

What amazes me about Acey is his persistence. If I was on a board where my every post was met with mockery and derision, I'd get the hell out and look for a friendlier place. Not Acey; he'll never leave. Each time he posts, it's as if he's forgotten the thousands of previous times he got raked over the coals. Or maybe he thinks that this time it'll be different and his Doper pals will agree with him.

And his sticking to his story of having a wife and two daughters, even though he's been repeatedly called out on the plot holes. I get that he doesn't want to fess up, but he could at least stop mentioning them. Nope, not happening.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:52 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I can't read any of the Onion's editorial cartoons without thinking of Acey anymore.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
so there's a familar pattern with so many of his OPs:

3. He resists
4. People persist
Step 2 (between 1 and 2) is when he makes the second post to his OP. It comes a few minutes later and it'll not only not follow the first post, but almost seems like a reply. A reply to a post or follow up question that no one asked.
With how unrelated to anything it is and how soon it shows up, I always assume he prepared it before hand.

Here's a great example. In post 1 he asks if people use a fan in the bedroom at night. In post two he says that he does in summer, but not in winter.

I'd post more, but the majority of threads he starts, he's also the first person to reply to. It's hare to pick just a few.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Step 2 (between 1 and 2) is when he makes the second post to his OP. It comes a few minutes later and it'll not only not follow the first post, but almost seems like a reply. A reply to a post or follow up question that no one asked.
He explained that once, although I can't find the post now.

After he posts an OP, he think of something he wants to add and edits the message. Then he thinks of something else and re-edits it. He keeps doing this until the five-minute editing window expires; then he's forced to add a second post to continue his thoughts. Usually two posts are enough for an Acey OP, but once in a while he resorts to three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I can't read any of the Onion's editorial cartoons without thinking of Acey anymore.
I see that the "joyful motorist," like Acey, doesn't wear sunglasses when driving.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:18 PM

So guess who ignored moderator instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
[Moderating]

OK, this thread needs some attention. First of all, aceplace57, if you're so disinterested in the topic that you're not willing to read beyond one headline, even when the information you're missing was already posted in the thread before you, then you don't need to be spreading your disinterest. Do not return to this thread.

Second, to everyone else, if you have any issues with aceplace57, especially issues that stem from any thread other than this one, you need to take it to the Pit. Further discussion of aceplace57 is likewise out of line in this thread.

Violation of either of these directives will result in a Warning.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...0&postcount=43

Five posts later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57
Maybe so. Let's see how it goes.

I've seen every Bond premier in a theater since Live and Let Die. I saw the earlier ones on TV.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...7&postcount=48
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

His ATMB thread complaining about his warning is comedy gold, folks.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 AM

To be fair, the headline of the mod instructions just said "[Moderating]". How could anyone expect Acey to know what was contained in the instructions from that headline?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be fair, the headline of the mod instructions just said "[Moderating]".
And by "moderating," he thought that meant "moderate your posts," as in "don't post quite as much as you were planning to." English is so confusing.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be fair, the headline of the mod instructions just said "[Moderating]". How could anyone expect Acey to know what was contained in the instructions from that headline?
Your post below was hilarious. Nicely done.
Quote:
The mod instructions centered around you continuing to derail the thread because you willfully refused to read things carefully and understand them.

And your defense to the Warning is that you didn't read the mod instructions carefully and understand them?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And by "moderating," he thought that meant "moderate your posts," as in "don't post quite as much as you were planning to." English is so confusing.
Absolutely. I mean "Do not return to this thread" can be interpreted so many different ways. How's a person supposed to know?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
But what if he never left??????
I think if Acey had raised this as a defense against violating that mod instruction, he would have deserved a Mulligan.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Absolutely. I mean "Do not return to this thread" can be interpreted so many different ways. How's a person supposed to know?
Acey's mind is a hamster wheel with a dyslexic lab rat getting brain-zapped while doing laps in the Allan institute. The poor fellow analyses allegorically, analogically, tropologically . . . anything but literally and contextually.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Prime example "I overthought," meaning he took a long time to come up with a lame excuse. I thought he had a template for that.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

ace has never, ever overthought anything. Thoughts are completely foreign to ace.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
ace has never, ever overthought anything. Thoughts are completely foreign to ace.
That's aceist!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Is he even capable?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
That's aceist!
It's ace-realist.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:13 PM

I've never been able to figure out aceplace's age. I assumed he was born in 1957. But then he says other things that make him older or younger. It turns out, he's quite the anomaly,
he became a teenager two years early.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:48 PM

Wait being a teenager starts at 11? I thought it was thirTEEN.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post
There you go again.Using words to decribe things.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post

There you go again.Using words to decribe things.

But are they the best words like Trump aceplace uses?

On an odd note, teenager in Korea and China starts at 10 given the way the language works ("ten one" for eleven, "ten two" for twelve, etc.).
Old 07-31-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
As an older white male, I am offended by the way Ace perpetuates the stereotype that we're all clueless idiots.
LM... you made me laugh !!

AP makes me sad.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
On an odd note, teenager in Korea and China starts at 10 given the way the language works ("ten one" for eleven, "ten two" for twelve, etc.).
Can't find it again, but I read an article some time ago that proposed that part of the problem the average American child has with arithmetic/math (relative to for instance Asian countries) is that the 'teens' don't follow a standard base-10 naming convention.

Obviously, most everybody gets over it, but the idea was that it throws up a roadblock early that must be overcome. And of course, it likely is a 'just so' story.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Can't find it again, but I read an article some time ago that proposed that part of the problem the average American child has with arithmetic/math (relative to for instance Asian countries) is that the 'teens' don't follow a standard base-10 naming convention.
I've never heard that. Even if it was true, I have to imagine Common Core would 'fix' it. Ignoring Common Core, if kids, in any more than small/niche/private schools were taught to use different names for the same numbers as other kids around the country, wouldn't we be seeing it the same why we see other regional names for the same thing (ie coke/soda/pop, Grinder/hoagie/sub etc).

But, even if that was the case, Acey specifically said that he knows 11 doesn't end in teen and therefore he wasn't a teenager, he just says that he considered himself a teenager at that point in his life because that's when he started having teen responsibilities, but said it with annoyance that someone would question why he would consider himself a teen at 11. Of course, that makes about as much sense as me wondering why people (hypothetically) are confused if I mention that I'm a senior citizen and later in the same thread say I'm 45, but explain that I retired at 40 so I 'feel' like a senior citizen.

Wait, looking back at that thread, even his own explanation doesn't hold water.
His reply was:
"Yes I understand teen comes from thirteen, fourteen.. geez talk about belaboring a point.

What matters is how a family chooses to assign responsibility. 11 was the year that I was allowed to start making choices. Handle a checking account, earn some money, stay up later. My parents trusted me to stay at the house alone without supervision. I wasn't treated like a child anymore.

I certainly considered myself a teen. Regardless of a silly suffix at the end of a word. "

However, the post he was called out on said "Teens start at 11. I remember turning 11 and being thrilled at becoming a teen."

Well, which is it? Did he 'consider himself a teen at 11' or does 'teens start at 11'. He both implied that not all 11 year olds are teens and all 11 year olds are teens. Not that he tends to be good with the subtleties of...anything. Perhaps he should have used 'young adult'. "I considered myself a young adult at 11' would have made a lot more sense.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:26 AM

Sounds like his parents weren't much brighter than him -- what kind of parent gives an eleven-year-old a checking account? A savings account, I could see, but a checking account?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I've never heard that. Even if it was true, I have to imagine Common Core would 'fix' it. Ignoring Common Core, if kids, in any more than small/niche/private schools were taught to use different names for the same numbers as other kids around the country, wouldn't we be seeing it the same why we see other regional names for the same thing (ie coke/soda/pop, Grinder/hoagie/sub etc).
One reply and I'll abandon the hijack: The supposition wasn't that there were different words, its that the words hide the concept. The Asian language (and yes I know there is more than one Asian language, my understanding is that most follow this pattern) word for 11 is (apparently) 1 ten and 1 one. 22 is 2 tens and 2 ones. In English and Spanish (and I'm guessing the rest of the Romance and possibly all European languages), the names don't start doing that until you reach 100. So the 'decimalness' of numbers is to some extent hidden.

As an aside to the hijack, I have a memory of learning the number names, and then deciding to see how far I could count (I was an odd child). I got to 199 and then had to ask someone what came next, since I didn't know the word and hadn't made the conceptual leap.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
One reply and I'll abandon the hijack: The supposition wasn't that there were different words, its that the words hide the concept. The Asian language (and yes I know there is more than one Asian language, my understanding is that most follow this pattern) word for 11 is (apparently) 1 ten and 1 one. 22 is 2 tens and 2 ones. In English and Spanish (and I'm guessing the rest of the Romance and possibly all European languages), the names don't start doing that until you reach 100. So the 'decimalness' of numbers is to some extent hidden.
I only know Japanese but your “Asian Numbers” rule works. It goes “ichi, ni, san...” and so forth up to “ju” (which is ten) then eleven is “ju ichi”, twelve is “ju ni”... Twenty is “ni ju” as in “two tens”, and 21 is “ni ju ichi”, and so on. (Though another way of saying “twenty” is “hachi” just to confuse things.)