Old 04-30-2019, 10:05 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
If Biden or another Dem wins, I don't want it to be with a handful of electors; I want a comfortable multi-state victory with an EV count well into the 300s. I don't want Trump to scream "rigged!" and then try to whip up his base into frenzy, believing that they truly won the election and got robbed.
I believe Trump will call foul if he loses, whatever the number of votes.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
As a longtime fan of McCain, one reason I love Biden is because they have similar thought processes, with Biden being somewhat less impulsive, but still a lot more impulsive than your average politician. So a Sarah Palin-type candidate, one that brings more excitement than competence and causes voters to worry about if the old guy kicks it, is a very real possibility. And you suggested Stacy Abrams, which proves the point. Like Palin a good candidate on paper, but with no national profile, even less experience than Palin, and one who is already being a little thick in interviews. Plus, why would you bother with Abrams when you can just pick Kamala Harris?
This is just astounding to me. Sarah Palin -type? Palin a good candidate?

Why pick Abrams when there's another black woman, they're interchangeable, right?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:48 AM

How about Kasich? A reasonable republican. That may help swing a few votes away from Trump.

I like Biden, and would vote for a rabid squirrel before Trump, but I do wish he was 10 years younger.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:55 AM

I think Amy Klobuchar would be a perfect choice for Biden. She's tough and has some good moments fighting against Kavanaugh. The only problem is she suffers from the likability penalty for being a no-nonsense woman in dealing with her staff.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I'm guessing he would pick someone from a swing state that Trump won, to try to swing that state back, and a black person, to pump up the black vote and recreate as much as possible the Obama turnout. A younger VP in case he dies is a good idea, but Biden is a centrist. To the extent anyone cares about the ideology of the VP candidate, a very progressive VP might cause centrist voters to shy away.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
I think Amy Klobuchar would be a perfect choice for Biden. She's tough and has some good moments fighting against Kavanaugh. The only problem is she suffers from the likability penalty for being a no-nonsense woman in dealing with her staff.
As much as I like her, this is not the 'only problem' she would bring. She'd do little to excite the more progressive democratic base in an election where the Dems need every possible democratic voter to be excited enough and inflamed enough, to be absolutely committed to vote.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 04-30-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
If Biden or another Dem wins, I don't want it to be with a handful of electors; I want a comfortable multi-state victory with an EV count well into the 300s. I don't want Trump to scream "rigged!" and then try to whip up his base into frenzy, believing that they truly won the election and got robbed.
First assure the fair win, then worry about the margin.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
This is just astounding to me. Sarah Palin -type? Palin a good candidate?

Why pick Abrams when there's another black woman, they're interchangeable, right?
Is there something special about Abrams beyond her identity? Is there something remarkable about her career as a state legislator that makes her Presidential material?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:11 PM

The more I contemplate it, the more I like the idea of Hilda Solis as Biden's running mate. It probably is way out in left field and won't happen, but she brings a lot to the table:

-Charismatic in front of a crowd.
-Daughter of immigrants
-Daughter of a union organizer
-Experience at the Congressional level (former Rep), federal executive level (Obama's Labor secretary), and local level (currently Los Angeles County supervisor). So she can claim insider experience, but also a bit of the outside-the-beltway mantle.
-Not too young, not too old. (Will be 63 on election day)
-Progressive (to engage the left): In addition to labor, she's been a champion of the environment and immigration reform and was a member of the Progressive Caucus in Congress.
-Latina (to me this is more important than picking an African-American or white running mate; Biden should do fine with both of those demographics, but Dems really need to focus on Latino turnout in 2020)
-Very much a candidate that can speak to blue collar union voters, as labor has been at the center of her career in government, and both her parents were union members. So just thinking about those critical industrial midwestern voters who might otherwise have a problem with a progressive/Californian/woman/Latina, her focus on lunch-bucket issues and worker rights should play well.
-Has never really been on GOP radar, so she doesn't have years of baked-in oppo hovering over her.
-From what I gather, her husband owns an auto repair shop in LA, and they've never gotten rich from her political career. They live in a modest home, so that would seem to pair well with "Amtrak Joe, the scrapper from Scranton."
-"Biden/Solis" sounds good together.

It's pretty outside-the-box, I know, but I would think it would be a solid ticket.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 04-30-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
As much as I like her, this is not the 'only problem' she would bring. She'd do little to excite the more progressive democratic base in an election where the Dems need every possible democratic voter to be excited enough and inflamed enough, to be absolutely committed to vote.
Honestly, if you need a VP choice to get the Progressives to vote because "Get rid of Trump" isn't enough for them - then the Dems have already lost 2020.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Honestly, if you need a VP choice to get the Progressives to vote because "Get rid of Trump" isn't enough for them - then the Dems have already lost 2020.
It’s lower on the list of importance but given the hypothetical of Biden at the top you may benefit by signaling that they matter. Good turn out and optimized turnout are different things and every little bit might matter. It’s a peace offering.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
It’s lower on the list of importance but given the hypothetical of Biden at the top you may benefit by signaling that they matter. Good turn out and optimized turnout are different things and every little bit might matter. It’s a peace offering.
Cater to the extreme but do you lose the middle?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
In 2016 Trump finished third in the popular vote, barely behind Clinton at #2, but way behind Didnt_Bother_to_Vote.

I think Didnt_Bother has won every Presidential election in which he was a contender. L.B. Johnson came close to unseating him in the "landslide" of 1964, but still lost 37.8% to 38.1%. FDR came close in 1936, but also lost.

It's a safe bet that Didnt_Bother will also win the 2020 election, but we can hope that some of his supporters will turn out to vote against Trump.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It's a safe bet that Didnt_Bother will also win the 2020 election, but we can hope that some of his supporters will turn out to vote against Trump.
So you think that the VP choice will be more effective getting Dems to vote than Trump being Trump? Alrighty then.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Cater to the extreme but do you lose the middle?
Again, lower on the list. But also again Biden (hypothetically as having the nom) would appeal to Obama-Trump and Clinton-Romney swingable voters, and is popular with Black voters. I don’t think a moderately progressive VP loses them with him at the top. But not even offering a peace offering VP choice to that wing may keep that element from being ... fully enthused.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
. . . Probably the best combination of exciting and competent is Cory Booker or Deval Patrick.
Having worked for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts under Patrick for 8 years, I would love to hear your definition of "exciting."
Old 04-30-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Yes to that Northern Path with WI much more likely than OH.

Which maybe elevates Tammy Baldwin?
And apparently I'm not the only one who has thought of her being the choice.
Quote:
Baldwin would be an outstanding nominee for vice president.

Consider the record: A lawyer who served with distinction in municipal and county government before being elected as a state legislator, she served seven terms in the U.S. House of Representatives before her election to the U.S. Senate. A barrier-breaking political figure, she has repeatedly made history as the first woman and the first member of the LGBTQ community to win major races in the state. And she has served across the decades as a progressive champion of economic, social and racial justice, peace, preservation of the planet and democracy.

Baldwin is, as well, a masterful political strategist who campaigns with an eye toward renewing the coalitions that once made Democrats the dominant party in the Great Lakes states. She goes deep on manufacturing policy and farm concerns, on urban and rural issues, on bold reform (as a longtime backer of single-payer “Medicare for All” health care) and on the precise fixes that can be enacted even in a time of divided government — frequently crossing partisan and ideological lines to forge bipartisan coalitions to accomplish things like securing funding for rural broadband and protecting the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
She hits the nod to the progressive wing while bringing some identity issues that balance the old white guy identity too and at the same time the same penchant for practical bipartisanship in service of those goals that Biden sells and some rural issues cred. And yeah. Helps that little bit with WI, a key state to win.

And read this about her recent re-election.
Quote:
Baldwin was especially effective at reaching out to the white working class and rural voters, key constituencies that gave Trump a winning margin in 2016. Baldwin flipped 17 of the rural counties that had voted for Trump.

According to Sarah Lloyd, a dairy farmer and the co-chair of the progressive group Our Wisconsin Revolution, Baldwin knew the people and knew the issues most important to rural voters. “Tammy’s office is excellent at constituent services; she knows farmers across the state and can speak fluently about the agricultural issues that are at the heart of Wisconsin’s rural communities.”

Remarkably, exit polls showed that 12 percent of Walker voters voted for Baldwin. This in a state where ticket splitting had been declared dead.

Baldwin has long courted ticket-splitters without giving up on progressive politics. ... “Her campaign and election results prove that when you run on progressive solutions, you can win.” ...
She hits all the Sherrod Brown boxes plus more definitely helping get WI and being an other than straight white male identity. And not a sure loss of a D Senate seat (special election in WI).

She's it! Biden-Baldwin.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Why have I not been hearing more about her? She sounds like she should be on the top of the ticket, at least if those paragraphs are accurate.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
How about Kasich? A reasonable republican. That may help swing a few votes away from Trump.

I like Biden, and would vote for a rabid squirrel before Trump, but I do wish he was 10 years younger.
We all wish Biden was 10 years younger. But he's going to be great, and I say, go, Joe, go!!

As for Kasich... not if you want women's votes. He tries to play it like he's a moderate Republican, but if he is the face of moderate, then we've already moved so far to the right that being "too far left" is a meaningless position.

Baldwin would be a terrific pick.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:58 PM

See, I feel like with Biden, we don't need someone to help him appeal to white working class rural voters in WI, MI, PA, etc. He hits that mark already, 110%. We need a Latino/a.

These repeated attacks by Trump on immigrants and refugees over the past 2+ years are, to quote Joe Biden hisself, a Big Fucking Deal. The Dems would do well to show that they're going to address this national catastrophe with someone who has some skin in it, someone who has experienced prejudice because they're a brown person or because they're from a family of immigrants or because they've got relatives who don't speak English. I feel like in 2020, it just might be essential to have a Latino/a on the ticket to directly confront these fuckers Trump and Pence over the shit they've done. A running mate is an attack dog, someone who can say things and address topics and speak to people the nominee can't.

I still say the golden ticket is Biden-Solis, for all the reasons I laid out in post 59. If she's too outside the box, then Julian Castro. Or Catherine Cortez Masto (Harry Reid's replacement in the Senate). Or Nanette Barragan. I just think there are some good possibilities in the Latino political community, and that's the balance Joe should be looking for in 2020, should he be the nominee.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 05-01-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
She hits all the Sherrod Brown boxes plus more definitely helping get WI and being an other than straight white male identity.
A WASP lesbian is about the least "strategic" choice you could possibly have for a minority on the ticket.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
A WASP lesbian is about the least "strategic" choice you could possibly have for a minority on the ticket.
That is merely icing on the cake. Baldwin is a strategically sublime option because of her qualifications, crossover appeal, and being from the upper midwest - and might I add, could be a viable frontrunner in 2024 if Biden were a one term president. I would rather a minority on a Biden or Sanders ticket who has qualifications you would want in a president than reach for someone based on demographics.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Yes to that Northern Path with WI much more likely than OH.

Which maybe elevates Tammy Baldwin?
Kamala Harris would be among my obvious first choices. Sen Tammy Duckworth's name has been tossed out and I think that's a definite possibility. Even though some might not think of her as a person of color, she's half Asian (Thai/Chinese), and she's female. Plus, she's a decorated (and wounded) veteran. I'd also point out that being winning a statewide race requires at least some appeal to independents and moderate conservatives. Outside Chicago, most of Illinois is like much of the rest of the US, so that she won (pretty convincingly) in Illinois says something.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 AM

As far as identity goes I think a woman being on the ticket matters and at this point gay does not with anyone who is a swingable voter.

More so what Covfefe said.

I'd emphasize the state. Win WI along with MI and PA without any surprising losses and that's the electoral win. Don't win WI and a win is much less likely. VP home state impact is modest but non-zero and big enough to matter for a state that in a close election might be on the cusp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 538
... the vice presidential nominee’s effect on his or her home state is normally quite modest — perhaps two or three percentage points on average ...
I like Duckworth* and Harris as choices too, very much so, but even if all three were otherwise equally as strong for the position, as qualified to step in and as good for the ticket across the country in general, two or three points in that specific state is a nice little buffer to have in place.

*Duckworth though has a baby who just turned one and may feel that she does not want to be so much on the campaign trail with a toddler in tow. It could sell well, the challenges of working mothers and all, but she may not want to do it.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Why have I not been hearing more about her? She sounds like she should be on the top of the ticket, at least if those paragraphs are accurate.
It seems a lot of the big donors got on the O'Rourke bandwagon early on. Baldwin might have had to pull off a bit of the magic Buttigieg has to become relevant with some of them in this large field. Honestly I don't know if she was interested regardless.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

The thing with Kasich is not that he's moderate. He's very conservative. He is, in fact, one of the very few conservatives left in the Republican party. What gets mistaken for moderation is the fact that he actually tries to do what's best for his constituency. He and I disagree almost 100% on just what that best is, but even the fact that he's trying sets him above the vast majority of Republicans.

But he definitely doesn't belong on a ticket with any Democrat. That'd be nothing but a cheap gimmick, and (worse) would look like a cheap gimmick.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The thing with Kasich is not that he's moderate. He's very conservative. He is, in fact, one of the very few conservatives left in the Republican party. What gets mistaken for moderation is the fact that he actually tries to do what's best for his constituency. He and I disagree almost 100% on just what that best is, but even the fact that he's trying sets him above the vast majority of Republicans.

But he definitely doesn't belong on a ticket with any Democrat. That'd be nothing but a cheap gimmick, and (worse) would look like a cheap gimmick.
Ehh. Disagree. Palin was a cheap gimmick. I think Kasich actually gives a fuck about our country. With Biden, it would show true bi-partisan.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Kasich is a solid conservative and would be a huge F U to large portions of Democrats. He’s not an idiot or self -serving but what he thinks of as best for the country is of little overlap with what most Democrats believe. A worse decision would be hard to make.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Kasich is a solid conservative and would be a huge F U to large portions of Democrats. He’s not an idiot or self -serving but what he thinks of as best for the country is of little overlap with what most Democrats believe. A worse decision would be hard to make.
Kasich might be fine if he were a woman, or a minority, or a liberal. In the absence of any such quality, he is what he is - an older, male conservative Republican. He would be the anti-choice.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 05-01-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
See, I feel like with Biden, we don't need someone to help him appeal to white working class rural voters in WI, MI, PA, etc. He hits that mark already, 110%. We need a Latino/a.

These repeated attacks by Trump on immigrants and refugees over the past 2+ years are, to quote Joe Biden hisself, a Big Fucking Deal. The Dems would do well to show that they're going to address this national catastrophe with someone who has some skin in it, someone who has experienced prejudice because they're a brown person or because they're from a family of immigrants or because they've got relatives who don't speak English. I feel like in 2020, it just might be essential to have a Latino/a on the ticket to directly confront these fuckers Trump and Pence over the shit they've done. A running mate is an attack dog, someone who can say things and address topics and speak to people the nominee can't.

I still say the golden ticket is Biden-Solis, for all the reasons I laid out in post 59. If she's too outside the box, then Julian Castro. Or Catherine Cortez Masto (Harry Reid's replacement in the Senate). Or Nanette Barragan. I just think there are some good possibilities in the Latino political community, and that's the balance Joe should be looking for in 2020, should he be the nominee.
I think this makes a good deal of sense, although I do like the Tam-Tams. Maybe Raul Grijalva?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM

What is “needed” is to win PA MI and WI. A Latinx running mate doesn’t help so much with that per se. Chasing those voters, hoping that this is finally the cycle they get off their asses and realize their voting power, has been a disappointment in the past. I wouldn’t bank on AZ or TX. Build there, fight there, but make sure SURE you have the votes you need in the states you NEED to win.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:49 PM

I get it. But that's presumably what Candidate Biden brings to the ticket: strength in the industrial Midwest. I could understand the need for looking to the industrial Midwest for a running mate if the nominee is Warren or Harris or Castro, but imo, there's no need to double down on Biden's strengths. And speaking to the Baldwin idea: a lesbian senator from Wisconsin isn't gonna fire up those key voters in Pennsylvania and Michigan any more than a Latina would. But having a Latina on the ticket *would* make inroads in places like AZ and TX. Plus it just reinforces that the Democratic party is the party of doing the right thing at a time when that population, and really the world, has been stunned by the cruelty of the Republicans in charge.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 PM

Ticket balancing:

Biden definitely needs a young person who can connect to the progressive base. That person also needs to be a woman or minority, because I don't think the Dems should or will go with the two-white-guys look (maybe he could get away with Buttigieg). Extra points, of course, for hailing from a swing State. Not seeing a perfect match here, but a lot of good ones. Solis isn't from a swing State, Castro isn't a favorite of the left, Baldwin isn't young, Duckworth isn't progressive...Abrams might come closest, though the "swing state" criteria is a stretch.

Sanders: see Biden, just switch out "moderate" for "progressive". Duckworth seems like a great fit; she's Midwestern, though Illinois itself obviously isn't a swing State. Castro might work well, too.

Harris needs a white guy; I also don't think we're going with two minorities or two women. Fortunately there are a lot of them about. Since she is near the middle of the pack generationally and ideologically, she has a lot of ways she could go and has the luxury of seeing how the campaign unfolds and which groups she needs to shore up support with.

Warren needs a younger, moderate guy. Again, no shortage there; Booker, Beto, Castro or Buttigieg might fit nicely. Tim Ryan might add the union-hall comfort factor that Warren lacks.

(I assume that none of the above four would be interested in the VP slot for themselves, so haven't considered them)

O'Rourke pairs very well with Baldwin; gender, ideological, generational, and regional balance, plus swing state bonus.

Baldwin would also be a great fit for Booker, as would Sherrod Brown (Beto-Brown doesn't work as well because of the two-white-guys rule).

Buttigieg needs an older figure with some gravitas...maybe Klobuchar? Actually, Hilda Solis could work well here, too.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I get it. But that's presumably what Candidate Biden brings to the ticket: strength in the industrial Midwest. I could understand the need for looking to the industrial Midwest for a running mate if the nominee is Warren or Harris or Castro, but imo, there's no need to double down on Biden's strengths. And speaking to the Baldwin idea: a lesbian senator from Wisconsin isn't gonna fire up those key voters in Pennsylvania and Michigan any more than a Latina would. But having a Latina on the ticket *would* make inroads in places like AZ and TX. Plus it just reinforces that the Democratic party is the party of doing the right thing at a time when that population, and really the world, has been stunned by the cruelty of the Republicans in charge.
In the abstract, "lesbian" might not seem like a quality that would appeal to white working class Midwesterners...but Baldwin has already proven her appeal to just those voters! I agree with your broader point, though...if Biden would need to make the right VP pick in order to have a chance of winning back the Rust Belt, why exactly are we thinking of nominating him again?
Old 05-01-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
+++.

The fact that Kasich is viewed as a "moderate" shows how far down the slippery slope labels and the GOP have slid.

Kasich is a hard-core right-winger. He opposes women's choice, gun control, Obamacare, support for public schools, and government regulations. He was an enabling admirer of Newt Gingrich, a Fox pundit, and was named Conservative of the Year 2011. He favored gutting labor unions but switched sides on that issue when his draconian law was overturned by Ohio's voters. Kasich is a "moderate" only in the sense that he is "to the left of" the bat-shit insane GOP mainstream.

Please: In future use Spoiler tags to enclose any jokes about Kasich running as a Democrat.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Bipartisanship isn't a gimmick. But if you're serious about it, you do it by things like co-sponsoring bills with legislators from the other party. Picking a running mate from the other party in the name of "bipartisanship" is what's a gimmick.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
In the abstract, "lesbian" might not seem like a quality that would appeal to white working class Midwesterners...but Baldwin has already proven her appeal to just those voters! I agree with your broader point, though...if Biden would need to make the right VP pick in order to have a chance of winning back the Rust Belt, why exactly are we thinking of nominating him again?
You're right, my throwing "lesbian" in there was unnecessary. I should've just said "white working-class senator from Wisconsin." That doesn't bring anything extra to the ticket that Biden doesn't already bring for voters in Michigan and Pennsylvania.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:59 PM

I'm not too familiar with any of these Latinx names being brought up. If any of them are activist friendly progressive firebrands, I would find that possibility potentially worrying. You might increase Latinx turnout with one, you also might hurt yourself in other areas, see Charles Blow's column hinting of a warning about this. If a Latinx is who, someone who can communicate well among a broad coalition would be my preference. Anyone should be able to call out the incompetence and inhumane practices flagrantly evident.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:00 PM

Stacey Abrams has announced that she is not running for the Senate in 2020. Is she holding her options open for a Veep nomination?
Old 05-01-2019, 04:07 PM

Possibly. There has also been speculation that she might still run for President herself.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Stacey Abrams has announced that she is not running for the Senate in 2020. Is she holding her options open for a Veep nomination?
Forget veep. I would be surprised if she isn't thinking about running for president herself.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
I'm not too familiar with any of these Latinx names being brought up. If any of them are activist friendly progressive firebrands, I would find that possibility potentially worrying. You might increase Latinx turnout with one, you also might hurt yourself in other areas, see Charles Blow's column hinting of a warning about this. If a Latinx is who, someone who can communicate well among a broad coalition would be my preference. Anyone should be able to call out the incompetence and inhumane practices flagrantly evident.
Maybe a hijack but....

I get WHY people do this "Latinx" thing, to be gender inclusive, but it doesn't scan well at all, either visually in text, or in the internal monolog of the reader. I've never heard anyone say the word out loud - probably for this very reason. Surely there is a better word that means the same thing, right? I'm not blaming YOU, you weren't the one who invented it....I just wish something better would supplant it.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:20 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

If the premise is to use a White mid-westerner to take votes from Trump, I believe that a non-White or female running mate would cause those voters to stay with Trump.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe a hijack but....

I get WHY people do this "Latinx" thing, to be gender inclusive, but it doesn't scan well at all, either visually in text, or in the internal monolog of the reader. I've never heard anyone say the word out loud - probably for this very reason. Surely there is a better word that means the same thing, right? I'm not blaming YOU, you weren't the one who invented it....I just wish something better would supplant it.
Dictionary.com has no problem with it.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/latinx
Old 05-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
If the premise is to use a White mid-westerner to take votes from Trump, I believe that a non-White or female running mate would cause those voters to stay with Trump.
I don't.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant
The white Obama-Trump voters of the industrial midwest voted for a black man, twice. White midwesterners won't only vote for a white person. And while it's possible sexism may keep a lot of blue-collars (and others) from voting for a woman for president, I don't think it would be as big of a deal to have a woman as the running mate, especially with someone like Biden at the top of the ticket. YMMV.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 05-01-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:38 PM

The best choice for a running mate is a strategic choice - someone who can help pull in a demographic that might otherwise not get on board in the necessary numbers. Mike Pence is an example of a strategic choice, a very good one. With Pence alongside Trump, Evangelical Christians in the Midwest had an easier time seeing their way clear to voting for Trump. If Trump had picked someone like Rand Paul, there would have been less likelihood of this happening. Many of those Pence supporters would have stayed home or voted for some third-party bullshit candidate.

(Tim Kaine, if anyone even remembers who he is - that's the perfect example of a totally NON-strategic choice.)

In Biden's case, I think the strategic choice would be a minority. Ideally a black person, in my opinion. I think Booker would be an excellent choice.

Last edited by Lamoral; 05-01-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Biden is already winning the black vote going away. Younger voters and progressives are where he's weak.

Last edited by Thing Fish; 05-01-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
. . .
In Biden's case, I think the strategic choice would be a minority. Ideally a black person, in my opinion. I think Booker would be an excellent choice.
I don't know much about Booker but like many people saw him during the Kavanaugh hearings.

I was not impressed with his 'Spartacus moment' comment. Is that type of trope really so close to his consciousness? It suggests a superficiality or an impetuousness that makes me take him less credibly. Sure, he's a smart guy but was that type of performance typical for him?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Biden is already winning the black vote going away. Younger voters and progressives are where he's weak.
Booker is younger than Harris, Duckworth or Gillibrand; and of course much younger than Inslee, Hickenlooper etc. His stances on issues may not be at the lunatic left, but are quite progressive. (He balanced Newark's budget — Is that a problem?)

(I also thought his 'Spartacus' comment was silly, but don't want to get hung up on a single word.)