Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2016, 05:47 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Bridge: 7 No Trumps baby!

Brag alert!

Bid and made last night. And we were the only pair who bid it.
  #2  
Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
ashtayk ashtayk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 294
Could you show us the hand you held and the bidding sequence? Would love to see it.
  #3  
Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Going from memory, partner had Sx HATxxx DAJT98 Cxx and I (sitting North) had SAKJx HKx DKQx CAKxx. Bidding was three passes to me and I opened 2C, partner responded 3H. Putting him with at least 6 hearts I went to Blackwood 4NT and after his bid of 5H I went 7NT. There was no need to ask for Kings! The opening lead was a small spade which helped. I squeezed the opposition in hearts and spades for the final trick.

At some tables South opened 1H and North went straight to 4NT. Really I'd prefer a sequence of 1H - 1S - 2D - 4NT etc rather than assume partner has 5 hearts.
  #4  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Finagle Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,953
Seems like kind of undisciplined bidding to me, given that you're off three queens and don't know the diamond situation based on the bidding (did your partner really have six hearts or just 5?)

Then again, I recently accidentally made a 6C-X slam with 18 HCP between my partner and myself. I was aiming for a sacrifice, but made when my partner showed up with the A and AK of the two suits in which I had a singleton and doubleton respectively, AND a void in the opponent's suit.
  #5  
Old 08-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Seems like kind of undisciplined bidding to me,
Do tell.

Quote:
given that you're off three queens and don't know the diamond situation based on the bidding (did your partner really have six hearts or just 5?)
I knew we had all four aces and all four kings. Blackwood can't check further. I expected partner to have six or more hearts, not five, so that suit was expected to run.
  #6  
Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM
TexCat TexCat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,329
x
A10xxx
AJ1098
xx

AKJx
Kx
KQx
AKxx

?? I don't even see how you make 7NT with these cards. I count 3 spades (at most), 2 hearts, 5 diamonds, and 2 clubs. Was the QJ hearts doubleton for the 13th trick? Not a slam I'd want to be in, needing both the spade finesse and the QJ doubleton of hearts.
  #7  
Old 08-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCat View Post
?? I don't even see how you make 7NT with these cards.
The lead was a small spade which gave me the spade finesse.

Quote:
I count 3 spades (at most), 2 hearts, 5 diamonds, and 2 clubs. Was the QJ hearts doubleton for the 13th trick? Not a slam I'd want to be in, needing both the spade finesse and the QJ doubleton of hearts.
I didn't need the HQJ doubleton: I ran the diamonds, squeezing the other suits and made four spade tricks.
  #8  
Old 11-17-2016, 09:37 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
(did your partner really have six hearts or just 5?)
Well, to tell you the truth in all the excitement the OP kinda lost track.
  #9  
Old 08-22-2016, 05:46 PM
amarone amarone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Going from memory, partner had Sx HATxxx DAJT98 Cxx and I (sitting North) had SAKJx HKx DKQx CAKxx. Bidding was three passes to me and I opened 2C, partner responded 3H. Putting him with at least 6 hearts I went to Blackwood 4NT and after his bid of 5H I went 7NT. There was no need to ask for Kings! The opening lead was a small spade which helped. I squeezed the opposition in hearts and spades for the final trick.

At some tables South opened 1H and North went straight to 4NT. Really I'd prefer a sequence of 1H - 1S - 2D - 4NT etc rather than assume partner has 5 hearts.
As 2H by partner would show 5+ hearts and be game forcing, I am not sure what 3H was supposed to mean. Like you, I would have assumed longer hearts than 5. As partner passed first, what could s/he have that now justifies a 3H bid? If you do not play weak 2s, then maybe a good weak 2 type of hand. 3H just wastes space and virtually guarantees you will not find a diamond fit, if you have one. Note that 7D is a much better contract. On a non-trump lead you make if hearts are 3-3 or 4-2. On a trump lead you will need diamonds to be 3-2 if hearts are 4-2, but can handle a 4-1 diamond break if hearts are 3-3.

Do you play key card Blackwood? 5H would show both aces, but deny the QH, so that should warn you off bidding the grand.
  #10  
Old 08-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
As 2H by partner would show 5+ hearts and be game forcing, I am not sure what 3H was supposed to mean. Like you, I would have assumed longer hearts than 5. As partner passed first, what could s/he have that now justifies a 3H bid? If you do not play weak 2s, then maybe a good weak 2 type of hand.
We were playing strong 2s.

Quote:
3H just wastes space and virtually guarantees you will not find a diamond fit, if you have one. Note that 7D is a much better contract. On a non-trump lead you make if hearts are 3-3 or 4-2. On a trump lead you will need diamonds to be 3-2 if hearts are 4-2, but can handle a 4-1 diamond break if hearts are 3-3.
Excellent analysis.

Quote:
Do you play key card Blackwood? 5H would show both aces, but deny the QH, so that should warn you off bidding the grand.
I can, but my partner that evening did not.
  #11  
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 PM
glee glee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Obama country
Posts: 15,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Going from memory, partner had Sx HATxxx DAJT98 Cxx and I (sitting North) had SAKJx HKx DKQx CAKxx. Bidding was three passes to me and I opened 2C, partner responded 3H. Putting him with at least 6 hearts I went to Blackwood 4NT and after his bid of 5H I went 7NT. There was no need to ask for Kings! The opening lead was a small spade which helped. I squeezed the opposition in hearts and spades for the final trick.

At some tables South opened 1H and North went straight to 4NT. Really I'd prefer a sequence of 1H - 1S - 2D - 4NT etc rather than assume partner has 5 hearts.
Well done on your top bid!

I'm more cautious - I only bid small slams that have a 50% chance of making and grand slams that are 75% or better. (I think the scoring system, particularly in teams bridge, justifies that.)

In the bidding, could your partner not have responded 2H to show a positive with a heart suit? (I assume 2D is the negative.)
  #12  
Old 08-23-2016, 04:52 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
In the bidding, could your partner not have responded 2H to show a positive with a heart suit? (I assume 2D is the negative.)
Yes. I would have bid 2H. Given his initial pass, I'm thinking along the lines of 2C - 2H - 2S - 3D - 4NT etc.
  #13  
Old 08-23-2016, 06:24 AM
amarone amarone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Yes. I would have bid 2H. Given his initial pass, I'm thinking along the lines of 2C - 2H - 2S - 3D - 4NT etc.
3D does not show any more than a 3 card suit, so it's presumptuous to bid 4NT ace-asking, if that is what it is (I would play it as natural because we have not agreed a trump suit). Plus you do not have any more than you showed with your 2C bid. Assuming you are playing Acol, that shows 23+ if balanced, so you are minimum. Therefore it is not really your position to be driving to slam. Partner could have xx Qxxxx Axxx Jx. Even 3NT is not certain to make.

I suggest 2C - 2H - 2NT - 3D - 3H (this must show doubleton support as you did not raise immediately) - 4D (showing at least 5 - 5 and slam interest, otherwise would have passed 3NT). Now it depends on how to ask for aces. I would use 4S in this sequence, leaving 4NT as natural. If you are able to bid 4NT as RKCB for diamonds, the bidding would proceed 4NT - 5H (2, no QD). You can now count to 13 tricks via 2S 3H (after ruffing them good) 5D 2C and 2 heart ruffs. The problem is that two heart ruffs will use up the QD, so partner needs JD for the grand to be good. There's no way you can ask for JD. You might just choose to bid 7D because it will be good if one of the following occurs:

- partner has JD
- partner has QS (now you have 13 tricks on a 3-2 trump break)
- hearts are 3-3
  #14  
Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 AM
amarone amarone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
- 4D (showing at least 5 - 5 and slam interest, otherwise would have passed 3NT).
Oops - I meant "otherwise would not have gone past 3NT"
  #15  
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
3D does not show any more than a 3 card suit,
In standard ACOL it shows 4+ cards.

Quote:
I suggest 2C - 2H - 2NT - 3D - 3H (this must show doubleton support as you did not raise immediately)
Actually this would show 3 card support, so the preferred response would be 4D. I'm interested that you would bid 2NT instead of 2S. Surely bidding 2NT would indicate only 2 or 3 spades? If partner had been 5-5 in Hearts and Spades, we would have missed that.

But yes, 7D would have been a better contract.
  #16  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 29,259
Congrats!

My biggest triumph was when partner and I were both long in a different suit, playing against people who were also long in the other suits. They both tried to steer the bidding to their respective suit for a long time (they must both have had 6 apiece of them) before settling on 5NT. We of course redoubled and took the majority of the tricks.
  #17  
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 AM
Dead Cat Dead Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 3,912
I love Bridge threads, though I haven't played recently and I've probably played under 1,000 hands in my life. I did once bid and make 7C, when my partner opened 1C and I had a number of clubs with about 20 points. Being inexperienced I launched straight into Blackwood, and it worked. The funny thing was she had to play the hand, having opened with my suit! We might have been able to make 7NT but I didn't even think about that at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post

My biggest triumph was when partner and I were both long in a different suit, playing against people who were also long in the other suits. They both tried to steer the bidding to their respective suit for a long time (they must both have had 6 apiece of them) before settling on 5NT. We of course redoubled and took the majority of the tricks.
Not to rain on your parade, but 5NT is a horrible place to end up and is a bit of an error on your opponents' part. One of the few bridge tips I can remember is that if you have a misfit, it's usually best to stop bidding ASAP (in the absence of other cues) to limit the damage. In particular, there's no point in continually rebidding your longest suit, as it doesn't give your partner any more information.
  #18  
Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I love Bridge threads, though I haven't played recently and I've probably played under 1,000 hands in my life. I did once bid and make 7C, when my partner opened 1C and I had a number of clubs with about 20 points. Being inexperienced I launched straight into Blackwood, and it worked. The funny thing was she had to play the hand, having opened with my suit! We might have been able to make 7NT but I didn't even think about that at the time.
A year or so ago, I opened, there was an overcall, and my partner jumped to 5D. As I had the other three aces, I put him up to 7D. He had kittens - we were playing in exalted company - but he made it with ease. We got an average score - the contract should have been 7NT.
  #19  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Idle Thoughts Idle Thoughts is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 12,265
Off to the Game Room.
  #20  
Old 08-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Johnny Ace Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
The only other play I can see is trying to pull off a squeeze, hoping the defenders drop enough hearts before running them...but a good defender would likely see that coming. Maybe a deep finesse to the 10H (and the spade finesse working)?

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 08-18-2016 at 02:44 PM.
  #21  
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
You have four tricks on top and 19 HCP between the two hands. Assuming the lead is a standard 4th highest, you must win the opening lead. That's 5 tricks. You appear to have three spade losers, and the opener holds SA. From the lead, I'll tentatively put SQJx HAJxx with RHO and SAxxx HKxx with LHO. RHO is the danger hand. So, cross to dummy with DQ and play a small club to your Jack. If LHO wins and starts on spades, your S10 becomes good. If RHO plays CK or CQ over your club lead, cover it and play the CJ to make two club tricks in dummy for tricks 6 and 7.
  #22  
Old 08-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
You have four tricks on top and 19 HCP between the two hands. Assuming the lead is a standard 4th highest, you must win the opening lead. That's 5 tricks. You appear to have three spade losers, and the opener holds SA. From the lead, I'll tentatively put SQJx HAJxx with RHO and SAxxx HKxx with LHO. RHO is the danger hand. So, cross to dummy with DQ and play a small club to your Jack. If LHO wins and starts on spades, your S10 becomes good. If RHO plays CK or CQ over your club lead, cover it and play the CJ to make two club tricks in dummy for tricks 6 and 7.
Good thoughts.

When my partner and I played in Washington, we were having a run of good luck. With the exception of poor play in the Gold Rush Knockouts on Friday, we were at least scratching in every event. Twice we came in second place in side pair games and we got good gold points on Saturday.

On Friday night we played in the Midnight Cappelletti Knockouts, which were hosted by a son of the bridge great player Cappelletti in remembrance of his brother who had recently died. Nearly everyone had a beer or carried a bottle of something. It was a Swiss game and we were paired with a nice couple of older ladies who were a bit stunned by all the alcohol.

As luck would have it, we were up against the Cappelletti family team foursome in the first Knockout round. They were nice folks, obviously a bit tipsy, and absurdly good bridge players. We were destroyed. My only high point was to bid a 3 no trump game on a long club suit and a prayer. It made, and was not bid at the other table. Despite that, we were sent packing. I went to bed but my partner hung around and ended up doing caddy duty from the hotel bar for the remaining players who were buying rounds for everyone.

Anyway, the deal I posted above was from a side Pairs game played Sunday morning, our last session before we had to leave and go back home. At the very first table I made a misplay that cost us our game bid. Partner was chagrined, which probably led to his extreme misplay at the next table. Opps made their unmakeable game...doubled. Now we knew we had two bottoms. At the third table we did poorly as well. This was obviously going to be a bad way to end our four days of bridge. So, tired and irked, we agreed after the third round to throw caution to the wind, bid crazy, and just have fun at the remaining tables.

This strategy seemed to help, and we had some moderately good boards before the hand I posted above.
  #23  
Old 08-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Twice we came in second place in side pair games and we got good gold points on Saturday.
Heh. I'm only a Bronze level competitor here in Scotland. My Bridge playing is quite schizophrenic: I play in an intermediate, social, group one evening a week where we generally come top or second, but I also used to play with national-class players, and we were happy to not come bottom. Unfortunately, I'm between partners for the latter group.
  #24  
Old 08-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,804
This was the full deal:

South

S: A, Q, 9, 3, 2
H: J, 10, 2
D: J, 7, 6, 2
C: 9

West (partner)

S: 8, 7, 5
H: Q, 7, 6, 3
D: Q, 9
C:10, 7, 5, 4

North

S: J
H: A, K, 9, 4
D: 10, 8, 5
C: K, Q, 8, 3, 2

East (me)

S: K, 10, 6, 4
H: 8, 5
D: A, K, 4, 3
C: A, J, 6

Three passes to my No trump, and then passed around. I still do not understand why North did not bid.

In any case, I won the spade Jack with my King and took stock. I had five top winners and probably a club and maybe another spade. Those were the seven tricks I needed. However, what if they took their many winners before I could set up mine? I could imagine unhappy scenarios where multiple heart losers would be a huge problem.

So on trick two I led a heart to my Queen, trying to look like a guy working to set up his hearts. South put up her Jack and I ducked, South winning. South next cashed her spade Ace and there was a long pause when her partner showed out. She finally played her Spade Queen and after more hesitation followed with a club, my Ace taking North's King. I crossed to the diamond queen and led clubs. All North could do was win the trick and cash his heart winners and thus I made my contract.

The defense was poor, but I like to think my heart lead at trick two helped them screw up.

The happy ending is that we finished top team for the entire game, won little plastic bridge drinking cups as a prize, and went home feeling on top of the world.
  #25  
Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
2 Hearts is cold for N-S on a spade/club cross-ruff unless someone leads trumps. Presumably the bidding would go 1C - x - 1S - Pass - 2H - All Pass. You get 3 diamond tricks, a club trick, and possibly a heart trick.
  #26  
Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,804
Yep.

Defensive errors are so easy to make. I think correct defense on my 1NT was hard. Still, you gotta bid with that hand in the North seat.

I played another hand in Washington where my opening of 1 club was passed around. We had 18 high card points and 5 total clubs between partner and I, but somehow the contract still made. Can't find the hand record now, alas.
  #27  
Old 08-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Some Call Me... Tim Some Call Me... Tim is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,789
My favorite 7NT anecdote:

Dealer bids 2NT, there's a pass, CHO says, "You're light, Sam." and bids 7NT.

Opponents (lacking humor) call over a tournament director, but at this point the only possible decision Sam could ever have to make in the rest of the bidding would be whether to redouble, and the opponents aren't doubling.

Sam did, in fact, open a 19 HCP hand as a 20-21 2NT, and with CHO's 21 HCP 7NT was cold. He later claimed his hand was particularly 'shapely' as an excuse for his 2NT overbid, and his embarrassment while making this lame excuse made the story much funnier when I heard it.
  #28  
Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Sometimes people count Tens as half a point for No Trumps only.
  #29  
Old 08-21-2016, 05:16 PM
robardin robardin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Call Me... Tim View Post
My favorite 7NT anecdote:



Dealer bids 2NT, there's a pass, CHO says, "You're light, Sam." and bids 7NT.



Opponents (lacking humor) call over a tournament director, but at this point the only possible decision Sam could ever have to make in the rest of the bidding would be whether to redouble, and the opponents aren't doubling.



Sam did, in fact, open a 19 HCP hand as a 20-21 2NT, and with CHO's 21 HCP 7NT was cold. He later claimed his hand was particularly 'shapely' as an excuse for his 2NT overbid, and his embarrassment while making this lame excuse made the story much funnier when I heard it.


Yeah, go on and bar the 2NT opener from an auction that's already at 7NT. LOL.

Since nowadays one is expected to announce partner's NT point count range when it's opened, I guess Sam's partner could simply have said "20 to 21... (Ahem) or sometimes a good 19. APPARENTLY."


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  #30  
Old 08-21-2016, 05:25 PM
OldGuy OldGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Very east of Foggybog, WI
Posts: 5,136
You announce point counts only for 1 NT openers. You might alert a 2 NT or 3 NT opener if it were non-standard like a gambling 3 NT. At least that's all I've ever done or heard done around here.
  #31  
Old 08-22-2016, 02:19 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Since nowadays one is expected to announce partner's NT point count range when it's opened,
Only if asked. And asking risks Unauthorised Information.

Quote:
I guess Sam's partner could simply have said "20 to 21... (Ahem) or sometimes a good 19. APPARENTLY."
That last part would result in a call to the director.

Last edited by Quartz; 08-22-2016 at 02:19 AM.
  #32  
Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 AM
Leaper Leaper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In my own little world...
Posts: 12,532
Reporting for forum change to Elec-

What?

Oh. Never mind.
  #33  
Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
This thread clearly shows how much I have to learn about this wonderful game.
  #34  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Dead Cat Dead Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
This thread clearly shows how much I have to learn about this wonderful game.
Backing down from a debate and implying someone else has more knowledge? That's clearly non-standard for a message board and should have been alerted. I'm calling the director over.

  #35  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Heh. Last night, I was playing Teams in a club that includes some national-class players and was delighted that we didn't come bottom.
  #36  
Old 08-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Grrr...

I'm feeling aggrieved about one hand and disappointed with myself with another.

The first hand bidding went three passes, 1H (me), Double, 2H, Pass, 3D, Passed out. Partner had 4 hearts and 3 diamonds, leaving me in a 4-3 fit rather than a 4-4 fit. I had 18 points, partner 7. We went down 3. Grrr.

The second hand I'm sure the bidding was my fault, but I'm not sure where I went wrong. Partner opened 1H, I rebid 3D (showing 16+ points, strong suit), partner bid 3S, I bid 3NT, and it was passed out. Making all 7, for a plain bottom. I had S?x HA DAKxxxx CAJxx and partner had SAKxx HKQTxx Dxx CKQ. The lead was a club. The missing heart honour dropped and I made 2 Spade tricks, 5 Heart tricks, 2 Diamond tricks, and 4 Club tricks.
  #37  
Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 PM
amarone amarone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
The first hand bidding went three passes, 1H (me), Double, 2H, Pass, 3D, Passed out. Partner had 4 hearts and 3 diamonds, leaving me in a 4-3 fit rather than a 4-4 fit. I had 18 points, partner 7. We went down 3. Grrr.
3D is 100% forcing. Shoot partner. Mind you, with 18 points, depending on what they were and whether you had a doubleton to add a distribution point, I might have just bid 4H with your hand.

Quote:
The second hand I'm sure the bidding was my fault, but I'm not sure where I went wrong. Partner opened 1H, I rebid 3D (showing 16+ points, strong suit), partner bid 3S, I bid 3NT, and it was passed out. Making all 7, for a plain bottom. I had S?x HA DAKxxxx CAJxx and partner had SAKxx HKQTxx Dxx CKQ. The lead was a club. The missing heart honour dropped and I made 2 Spade tricks, 5 Heart tricks, 2 Diamond tricks, and 4 Club tricks.
Partner's fault again. Assuming the "?" in spades is a small card, you have shown your hand - 16 points, good diamonds, not much more (or you would not bid 3NT). Partner has 17 high card points! Add that to your 16 and you want to be in slam. I would not have passed 3NT - I would have bid 6NT. That is the place you want to play - you can't rely on hearts coming in to make seven.

Having said that, I would not have bid 3D with your hand. While it is a good description of most of your hand (points & diamonds), you will lose the club suit. If partner's two small spades were two small clubs, 7C is the contract to be in yet you have not bid clubs at all.

I would start with 2D, planning to bid 3C next - both are forcing.
  #38  
Old 08-31-2016, 08:20 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
I would start with 2D, planning to bid 3C next - both are forcing.
We were playing 4th suit forcing, so a bit of 3C over 2S would have been asking for a club stop, not showing clubs myself.
  #39  
Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 PM
amarone amarone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
We were playing 4th suit forcing, so a bit of 3C over 2S would have been asking for a club stop, not showing clubs myself.
Yes, that is why I said "planning". Over a 2H or 2NT rebid from opener, I would bid 3C. If opener rebid 2S, which is what would happen on the actual hand, that is game forcing and I would probably bid 2NT to show that I have a club stop, as there is now minimal possibility that we have a club fit (partner could be 4504, but unlikely).

A hand from today's A/X pairs in the Atlanta Regional: void, K76432, AJT74, K7. You open 1H, LHO bids 1S, partner bids 4D, showing 4+ hearts, singelton or void diamond, and game going values.

Your bid?
  #40  
Old 08-29-2016, 09:03 PM
OldGuy OldGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Very east of Foggybog, WI
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Grrr...

I'm feeling aggrieved about one hand and disappointed with myself with another.

The first hand bidding went three passes, 1H (me), Double, 2H, Pass, 3D, Passed out. Partner had 4 hearts and 3 diamonds, leaving me in a 4-3 fit rather than a 4-4 fit. I had 18 points, partner 7. We went down 3. Grrr.
No way should partner have passed 3D. The bid could be several things, but it cannot be passed because you've already agreed hearts is trumps.

3D should be some kind of game try here. (Short suit, long suit, help suit, etc. -- you'd have to agree which you use.
  #41  
Old 08-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Busy Scissors Busy Scissors is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Euston Tavern
Posts: 2,724
Agree with the above that pard's not on form there - hand 1 is just a failure to play bridge and hand 2 is playing bridge quite badly. It's a bad misfit, but looking at their hand after you've made a strong jump shift into diamonds then 6N has to have play.

It's a game of mistakes, and we all make them - but if your partner thinks it's OK to pass forcing bids like 3D in hand 1 then you need to have a bit of a sit down as it's just going to cause aggravation.
  #42  
Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 PM
Dead Cat Dead Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 3,912
When playing with a new partner (as is frequently the case online), one thing I always try to enforce is an agreement that changing suit during the bidding is ALWAYS forcing (for at least the next round, I mean - not necessarily to game). Without this convention you really struggle to find the best contract on a lot of hands. Although I must admit to forgetting this rule on one occasion, having made my partner agree to it. That was embarrassing, though partner took it with very good grace.
  #43  
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 AM
amarone amarone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
When playing with a new partner (as is frequently the case online), one thing I always try to enforce is an agreement that changing suit during the bidding is ALWAYS forcing (for at least the next round, I mean - not necessarily to game). Without this convention you really struggle to find the best contract on a lot of hands. Although I must admit to forgetting this rule on one occasion, having made my partner agree to it. That was embarrassing, though partner took it with very good grace.
New suits by responder should be forcing for one round, but not by opener, as per examples given by other posters.
  #44  
Old 08-30-2016, 03:24 PM
K364's Avatar
K364 K364 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 2,582
Auctions like

Code:
  1S, pass,  INT, pass
  2C, pass,  ...
can be passed
  #45  
Old 08-30-2016, 05:03 PM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Auctions like

Code:
  1S, pass,  INT, pass
  2C, pass,  ...
can be passed
Yes, that's giving suit preference.
  #46  
Old 08-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Johnny Ace Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
And the 1NT response is negative anyway.
  #47  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:25 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Partner could have as little as Jxxx in hearts, but a slam is a definite possibility even so - we can cross-ruff spades and diamonds. So bid 4NT Blackwood and we can always stop in 5H. If we're playing RKCB a 5S response would be the most difficult - which of SA, HA, or CA does partner not have?

I've read about but am not fully au fait with cue bids but I'm not sure I can use them here as I'm missing HA. Theoretically, the sequence could continue 4S-5C-5D, but what then? Bidding 5H would stop the sequence (with HA would partner bid 5H or 6H?). Suppose partner had SAQxx HJxxx DK CQJxx? And partner doesn't know I have six hearts - for all she knows, I might only have four.
  #48  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Busy Scissors Busy Scissors is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Euston Tavern
Posts: 2,724
He has five. 4 card majors would be uncommon at a US regional.

I'd typically take the low road in pairs, and we're talking about a sub 25point slam here, but I think I'd have a nibble. If exclusion blackwood is available then 4S would be nice - needs a well-oiled partnership to roll that out over a splinter, though, you'd need to have discussed this possibility.

No gadgets, then 4S cue hoping to hear 5C from partner. If this emerges then a bold 6H - pard has the AC, four trumps, stiff D, and opps spade bid enhances the prospects of a heart honour or two. If no club cue then we subside in five.
  #49  
Old 09-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Quartz's Avatar
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 30,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
He has five. 4 card majors would be uncommon at a US regional.
I don't know about the US but over here an opening bid of 1H may have only four hearts. Even if we were playing five card majors, partner doesn't know that my only honour is the King.

Quote:
I'd typically take the low road in pairs, and we're talking about a sub 25point slam here, but I think I'd have a nibble.
Absolutely!

Quote:
If exclusion blackwood is available then 4S would be nice
I wasn't aware of that convention and have just read about it (see also this pdf). ITYM 5S, not 4S, and that would mean committing to the slam. Interesting how the problem of 'Blackwood in the minors' is reversed.

Quote:
No gadgets, then 4S cue hoping to hear 5C from partner. If this emerges then a bold 6H - pard has the AC, four trumps, stiff D, and opps spade bid enhances the prospects of a heart honour or two. If no club cue then we subside in five.
The problem with that is the possibility of HAQ sitting over me.
  #50  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 PM
amarone amarone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,985
I won't try to intersperse answers to quotes of all the different comments, so here's a list.

- partner knows you have at least 5 hearts. We play 2 over 1, so the 1H opener guarantees at least 5 (except occasionally 3rd in hand).

- it may only be 11 high card points, but under various ways of evaluating hands with a trump fit it is 15 - 17 points. And 5-loser using the losing trick count, which suggests slam zone if partner's values are in the right places.

- as stated by someone, 5S is exclusion Blackwood, so that does not help here.

I like a 4S cue bid next. It shows the spade control (partner likely has some spade losers) and by going beyond game, shows slam interest. If partner cooperates with 5C (which he does), then I think it reasonable to bid 6H. If you want to be more cautious, you can bid 5D to show your AD and continued interest. I think partner would then bid the slam (and I should know, as I was said partner).

Partner had QJxx Axxx x AQxx. It actually makes 7 when diamonds break 4-3 and the suit can be ruffed good.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017