Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM

It's FOX. Of course they'll cancel it at some point.

I don't think they've ever had a contract that says the show cannot be cancelled.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 PM

Alright, this Bobby Lashley Sisters thing is so bad I'm done with RAW for the night.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 PM

if they do it will just go back to nbc universal .....
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

I don't think they've ever had a contract that says the show cannot be cancelled.
That was probably tongue-in-cheek, but though scripted, WWE is probably contracting in the same way NFL and MLB contract. There are probably minimum numbers it must bring in, but Fox won't be able to cancel if they hit the minimums, and likely can't even move it around the schedule unless mutually agreed upon.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
FOX is buying Smackdown for a gazillion dollars.

It might also change to Friday nights. That's a death time, usually. At least they won't cancel it if the ratings tank, for 5 years at least.
With DVR's and plus-one viewing there aren't many "death times" anymore frankly. The closest you'd get is Saturday night. Besides, it's one day after Thursday Night Football and if you don't think Fox is using that platform to promote WWE you're crazy.

Quote:

I dunno, The Simpsons is still going on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
That was probably tongue-in-cheek, but though scripted, WWE is probably contracting in the same way NFL and MLB contract. There are probably minimum numbers it must bring in, but Fox won't be able to cancel if they hit the minimums, and likely can't even move it around the schedule unless mutually agreed upon.
Is that a real thing? The minimum ratings? Do you have a cite for that, because I've never heard of that and am interested to learn.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Is that a real thing? The minimum ratings? Do you have a cite for that, because I've never heard of that and am interested to learn.
No cite, but WWE would be stupid not to make FOX guarantee the slot and FOX would be stupid not to have performance minimums to guarantee the slot. Neither are stupid in that regard.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
FOX is buying Smackdown for a gazillion dollars.

It might also change to Friday nights. That's a death time, usually. At least they won't cancel it if the ratings tank, for 5 years at least.
Fox had enough trouble with its schedule after losing two hours to the NFL in the fall. Even if it is a Friday, that's another two hours each week that it loses, unless, somehow (and very unlikely, given that its affiliates love the advantage of having local news an hour before everyone else), it can talk its affiliates into letting it air network shows for three hours a night.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 AM

The only solution to Reigns' chorus of boos is to find someone more hated than him, and now that Fox is in the picture it's only a matter of time before we get Reigns' new manager: Joe Buck.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:00 PM

I don't get the Joe Buck hate. He usually calls it down the middle. Chris Collinsworth could be a great heel manager.

Hmph. Prince Puma took on giants like Mil Muertes and Matanza solo in Lucha Underground. He didn't need no help.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The only solution to Reigns' chorus of boos is to find someone more hated than him, and now that Fox is in the picture it's only a matter of time before we get Reigns' new manager: Joe Buck.
Since it's Fox, here's an idea: in the same vein as "Corporate," have a new gimmick named "Programming," and have him talk about all of the shows he personally had Fox cancel. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine? I did that! No more X-Files or 24? Thank you! But I had to make room for classic Fox shows like Utopia! What's next on my list? The Orville? Bob's Burgers?" As an added bonus, have as his valet somebody who was a contestant on The Swan, and his stable can be a bunch of masked wrestlers called Mister Personality.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 PM

No no no, we've seen that before. No network guy. Bad idea.

I just don't get WTF WWE is trying to do with Reigns. NO ONE believes this bullshit about him being picked on and pushed down by authority figures crap.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 PM

For 60 or so $$$ tonight, I could have been in a crowded arena tonight drinking $10 beer. I would have been about half a football field away from the ring and the rasslers would have looked like animated grains of rice.

I would have considered Big jaCass money well wasted, as well as that time sink of a dance-off. I pay to watch them pretend fight and potentially injure themselves, fer gosh sake.

On the other hand, I would have marked out for Rusev Day and performed the gestapo march to Samoa Joe's music. I would have counted with Evil Nakamura and Yessed to DB. But, seeing NXT earlier this year was a much better experience, so I regret nothing. Nothing, do you hear?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:36 PM

And Big Ass walks out to no reaction.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
For 60 or so $$$ tonight, I could have been in a crowded arena tonight drinking $10 beer. I would have been about half a football field away from the ring and the rasslers would have looked like animated grains of rice.

I would have considered Big jaCass money well wasted, as well as that time sink of a dance-off. I pay to watch them pretend fight and potentially injure themselves, fer gosh sake.

On the other hand, I would have marked out for Rusev Day and performed the gestapo march to Samoa Joe's music. I would have counted with Evil Nakamura and Yessed to DB. But, seeing NXT earlier this year was a much better experience, so I regret nothing. Nothing, do you hear?
Smackdown is coming back to Orlando in August and I'm trying to see if I can get seat-filler tickets for it. Otherwise, I might just skip it entirely.

I'm still mad I couldn't use my NXT house show tickets this past Saturday. We had front row and everything!! But Mrs. Cups started a new job and was invited to the company' suite for the OC soccer game. Figured that was more important/rare of an occurance
Old 05-30-2018, 02:34 PM

Austin Creed/Xavier Woods is filming a D&D episode of UpUpDownDown today, with Tye Dillinger, Ember Moon and a couple of people I'm not familiar with.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 AM

They actually know how to play tabletop?

Youngsters today don't know how their fancy video games got started. /fart /fall asleep at 9

Great to see Chris (Donovan) Dijak finally debut in NXT, even if it was a squash job to Ricochet. This was a Prince Puma match. Deceptively strong and gravity defying. I'm marking big time over his feud with Velveeta.

Dijak is already better than Big Crass. Hope he doesn't fade into sudden obscurity like AoP and sAniTY.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
They actually know how to play tabletop?

Youngsters today don't know how their fancy video games got started. /fart /fall asleep at 9

Great to see Chris (Donovan) Dijak finally debut in NXT, even if it was a squash job to Ricochet. This was a Prince Puma match. Deceptively strong and gravity defying. I'm marking big time over his feud with Velveeta.

Dijak is already better than Big Crass. Hope he doesn't fade into sudden obscurity like AoP and sAniTY.
Spoiler Alert: He will.

He loses every single match in the house shows. He's not even putting over the bigger talents either, he's losing to Mars and Rocky and Steve Cutler and stuff. I can't imagine that bodes well for his future.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM

https://twitter.com/WWESheamus/statu...25589955293184
Old 05-31-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Awwwwww jeez....I-I-I dunno about this one
Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...and that's the waaaaaaaaaaaaay the news goes!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 PM

It's a shameful thing, Lobster Head!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 PM

Ok, this idea of Corbin holding Angles leash is fucking stupid. If they keep pushing this sort of trash, I may take a break from RAW again.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:15 AM

Wow! KO must be really hurt after the way Finn hit right in the mat next to him with both feet.

SmackDown on Fox? Great way to finally let it rest in peace.

Rousey showing Natty how to punch? Might as well learn how to pass a football from Garo Yepremian.

He's still winning his matches but they're taking Braun down the Big Show road to Loserville.

Elias is one of the best characters they have. When does he get a push in the ring instead of on the mike? I assume he's not really ready yet but the potential is enormous.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 AM

I golf on Monday's and haven't watched RAW in forever...yet it seems like I'm not missing much.

That's too bad.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I golf on Monday's and haven't watched RAW in forever...yet it seems like I'm not missing much.

That's too bad.
Yeah, I FF through it in less time than ever now. It's hard to break the habit of watching wrestling on a weekly basis for more than 50 years, I keep hoping for one of those brief periods of quality sportsertainment to start again, but it's been so long I think it may never happen again.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:01 PM

Bruce Pritchard's podcasts are always interesting to listen to. He doesn't rant like Corny, and his cohost will ask him a lot of "what happened behind the scenes" questions. Pritchard doesn't seem to bear any grudges, and understands that sometimes ideas crap out and they just have to keep on keeping on.

They did a show on Vince Russo and how much he actually did when he worked for WWE. Pritchard gave him credit where credit was due, and otherwise shot down some of his claims. He did the same with JR. He also admitted to his own stinkers.

He said that when Vince first saw John Cena, he thought he was on steroids and wanted him gone. They explained he was a natural bodybuilder, so Vince wouldn't have to go on trial.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Bruce Pritchard's podcasts are always interesting to listen to. He doesn't rant like Corny, and his cohost will ask him a lot of "what happened behind the scenes" questions. Pritchard doesn't seem to bear any grudges, and understands that sometimes ideas crap out and they just have to keep on keeping on.

They did a show on Vince Russo and how much he actually did when he worked for WWE. Pritchard gave him credit where credit was due, and otherwise shot down some of his claims. He did the same with JR. He also admitted to his own stinkers.

He said that when Vince first saw John Cena, he thought he was on steroids and wanted him gone. They explained he was a natural bodybuilder, so Vince wouldn't have to go on trial.
I love Bruce Prichard's podcast. I wonder how much of this stuff he really remembers and how much is just BS. Who can remember that much from that long ago?
The same co-host has a podcast with Tony Schiavone, which is mostly watch-alongs with commentary. And he just started a new one with Eric Bischoff, which is basically the WCW version of what he does with Prichard.

I've never been a Wrestling Observer subscriber, but I do love shoot interviews and the behind the scenes details of pro wrestling.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:57 PM

Pritchard also took full credit for signing Cena and the rapper gimmick.

I just take his claims with a block of salt.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Pritchard also took full credit for signing Cena and the rapper gimmick.

I just take his claims with a block of salt.
Being a wrestler means living life partly in the storyline. Eventually they just can't help it. It's a little easier since the time Vince 'came out' on what wrestling was, the old timers had their lives and storylines interminably mixed. It's not like they're always full of crap about everything, but on the subject of wrestling they just can't help falling into character.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Being a wrestler means living life partly in the storyline. Eventually they just can't help it. It's a little easier since the time Vince 'came out' on what wrestling was, the old timers had their lives and storylines interminably mixed. It's not like they're always full of crap about everything, but on the subject of wrestling they just can't help falling into character.
I think things like Pritchard or Schivonie is less "in character" and more ego. Not necessarily a bad or overblown ego, just convincing yourself you did something grand or had a bigger part in it than you did for the sake of feeling important or getting downloads on your pod.

Again, not a bad thing, but another side effect of living in that business.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 PM

In the lawsuit filed by that WWE doctor against CM Punk and Colt Cabana the jury found in favor of Punk and Cabana. So at least Punk will have one victory this week.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:57 PM

Yeah, the guy blew up his entire case and any chance of winning on appeal by telling the court that he didn't actually suffer any financial or reputation damage.

"I'm suing for $4 million in damages!"
"Were you damaged?"
"No, not at all."
Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM

So....Smackdown was a thing.

Lana insists on having a vagina on her top for some reason, the New Day is starting to go a bit stale for me (although Big E looks friggin huge) and a good main event ended in dumb silliness.

Sounds about right.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:48 PM

I'm wondering if MITB will be the breakup for ND. They still haven't decided which member will climb the ladder, so they have a big fight among themselves.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if MITB will be the breakup for ND. They still haven't decided which member will climb the ladder, so they have a big fight among themselves.
I hope not. Just having the briefcase and trying to Freebird it by having various members carry it around in the mean time (even if we know WWE won't let them do that) could be fun. Say, Kofi wins the briefcase, but Big E runs into the ring with it teasing a cash in. The then-champ gets up and attacks Big E during the long delay they see to have intentionally added, when Kofi comes in and nails the champ from behind to win the title. Or the other way around.

And damn it, I think those guys deserve singles titles.

Last edited by Chimera; 06-06-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I hope not. Just having the briefcase and trying to Freebird it by having various members carry it around in the mean time (even if we know WWE won't let them do that) could be fun. Say, Kofi wins the briefcase, but Big E runs into the ring with it teasing a cash in. The then-champ gets up and attacks Big E during the long delay they see to have intentionally added, when Kofi comes in and nails the champ from behind to win the title. Or the other way around.

And damn it, I think those guys deserve singles titles.
This is, more or less, exactly what I want to happen.

I want Kofi to win it (Lord knows he's been in enough ladder matches and never won one...has he?) that he deserves a win. Then let ND carry it around a while and have Big E cash in on someone and let him wander around with the title. In the meantime, let Kofi and Xavier win the tag belts and they can have separate lives but still be The NEW! DAY! without some stupid-ass breakup.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I want Kofi to win it (Lord knows he's been in enough ladder matches and never won one...has he?) that he deserves a win.
Kofi has been a great worker for them for years and he definitely deserves a big push for a singles title. I assume if it's the top title it would just be a transition, but they could follow that with a US or Intercontinental title for a decent run, and New Day backing him up.

Last edited by TriPolar; 06-06-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:56 AM

WWE definitely benefits from all the Booty merchandise, so they probably wouldn't want to pull the plug on it. I do like the Freebird rule idea for whoever carries the briefcase, and no doubt Michael Hayes is pushing for it behind the scenes. Besides, you know they're going to milk the WHO? WHOO? WHOOO? routine for all it's worth when deciding who gets the ladder.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38 PM

I'm all for them repeatedly teasing freebirding it and carrying on like that is absolutely what they are doing without any 'no that isn't happening' on-screen pushback.

But I would like the cash-in to be by the person who got the briefcase, so that their opponent could not claim any controversy or appeal it and the announcers can put over as completely legitimate.

That being said, WWE would almost certainly go with the bullshit controversy angle.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 PM

“Something Else To Wrestle” Episode Allegedly Delayed Due To “Creative Differences”

Before you read any further, this is borderline clickbait. I ask you: Who do you think the "creative differences" are between?

tick tick tick

Did you think it was between the hosts? I did. I had just posted a minute ago how much I liked the show because Pritchard and Thompson had good rapport. How can they be at each other's throats already?

Turns out it's because Thompson thought WWE was editing too much out of their upcoming ECW show. OK you got me, you goblins.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:03 PM

Thompson was riding Pritchard's ass pretty hard in the John Cena one. Accusing him of sucking Triple H's dick, rolling his eyes and disbelieving Pritchard's claims about discovering Cena and coming up with the rap gimmick.

Perhaps, like me, he was just getting tired of Pritchard putting himself over so much and claiming credit for everything under the sun.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Both WWE and NJPW are going to be in Daytona this summer (not at the same time). It's only about an hour away or so, but I don't think it's worth it for WWE because we're getting Smackdown sometime soon and that's a bit of a trip.

It's slightly more worth it for NJPW because I've never seen them before, but I saw half of them all in ROH and the other half are Japanese dudes I don't care about or know...so I think I'm skipping that too.

The closest I'd get would be Lucha Underground, but the ones I care about with them have all left too...or I can see them if Impact ever comes back to Orlando.

Sorry internet...guess I'm *that* wrestling fan
Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Both WWE and NJPW are going to be in Daytona this summer (not at the same time). It's only about an hour away or so, but I don't think it's worth it for WWE because we're getting Smackdown sometime soon and that's a bit of a trip.

It's slightly more worth it for NJPW because I've never seen them before, but I saw half of them all in ROH and the other half are Japanese dudes I don't care about or know...so I think I'm skipping that too.

The closest I'd get would be Lucha Underground, but the ones I care about with them have all left too...or I can see them if Impact ever comes back to Orlando.

Sorry internet...guess I'm *that* wrestling fan
Just wait. If they're any good you'll see them all again as they work their career through the different orgs.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Just wait. If they're any good you'll see them all again as they work their career through the different orgs.
RIght now I can just translate that to "If they're any good they'll show up in NXT". Seems to have worked pretty well for me so far
Old 06-09-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Meanwhile in Japan, Chris Jericho just won the Intercontentinal championship off Tetsuya Naito with a Codebreaker off of a low-blow, so I don't think we'll be seeing him in WWE again any time soon.

Last edited by Smapti; 06-09-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Kenny Omega is your new and 66th IWGP Heavyweight Champion, having beaten Kazuchika Okada, two falls to one, with one hour and five minutes elapsed, ending the Rainmaker's record-breaking reign of 720 days and twelve successful defenses.

This was probably one of the best matches I've ever seen. God damn.

Last edited by Smapti; 06-09-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:42 AM

And I awoke this morning to find that Alexa Bliss followed me on Twitter.

I don't expect it to last more than a couple of hours, but for the brief shining moment, I'm going to crow about it.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:51 AM

CM Punk is now 0-2 in MMA

At least he didn't get destroyed in the 1st round like last time and actually went the distance, but it sounds like his opponent was being either kind or sadistic.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
CM Punk is now 0-2 in MMA

At least he didn't get destroyed in the 1st round like last time and actually went the distance, but it sounds like his opponent was being either kind or sadistic.
The first round wasn’t too bad, he even got a takedown towards the end. The second and third however, Jackson just hit him at will. By the end Punk was a bloody mess.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Give Punk credit for trying. Then go back to laughing at him, if he can't take the ridicule then withdraw the credit.