Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM

sAnI+y may as well as for release as well. They've only been on SD for a few minutes since they were called up.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The Revival have reportedly asked for their release, and I can't say I blame them. They've been stuck in midcard hell ever since Vince fed them to DX and killed their momentum. I expect they'll sign with AEW and tear it up with the Young Bucks.
My unpopular opinion on this is: Good. Get them off my television because they're boring and overrated. I've never liked them. I can see the point in their gimmick, but they've never impressed me as wrestlers or characters and they seem extremely indie to me. Go to AEW where you belong.

Given how good of a businessman he is, it surprises me that Vince is only halfway there on a good business decision. Well, actually, it doesn't surprise me. It makes a lot of sense to gather as many assets (wrestlers) as you can and shelve them until you can think of something to do with them later. The problem is, Vince never actually thought of what to do with them later.

I'm still of the mind that AEW isn't going to be that particularly strong and is going to be Impact 2.0 when all is said and done, but if it allows wrestlers who aren't being used by one company to be featured in another...then good for them.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 AM

I hope Darby Allin from Evolve gets a call from NXT some day. He's like an undead Eminem, a cross-breed of Kevin Sullivan with Tony Hawk. Johnny Gargano, the Street Prophets, and Fabian Aichner all worked the most recent Evolve show, and other NXT stars like Matt Riddle, Kassius Ohno and WALTER worked for them in the past, so maybe they told HHH about him.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I hope Darby Allin from Evolve gets a call from NXT some day. He's like an undead Eminem, a cross-breed of Kevin Sullivan with Tony Hawk. Johnny Gargano, the Street Prophets, and Fabian Aichner all worked the most recent Evolve show, and other NXT stars like Matt Riddle, Kassius Ohno and WALTER worked for them in the past, so maybe they told HHH about him.
Darby Allin is a regular in DEFY as well, and I got to meet him at a show in 2017. Love his work.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Went to RAW last night. That was fun, had never seen heavy machinery before, and figured they look like local jobbers, only they got the TV entrance over Ascension and were a ton of fun.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 PM

I read that ratings dropped around 15% from Hogan's Mean Gene tribute to The Revival match on that RAW. I know a person IRL who turned it off once she saw them. I agree with The Revival's decision. With Trips mentioning recently how NXT is actually a territory and not a minor league, The Revival should have stayed there. But they bring up great points.

Vince has never liked tag teams nor could he figure out how to create a good tag division or keep teams together. It's just a bias/weakness he has. Apparently, Trips still doesn't have enough power or knowledge to create a good tag division either.

I don't even think Vince even knew The Revival was on the main roster. It's not like he appreciated the technical skill of The Brain Busters in the 1990s anyway, so why would he like their modern imitators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
My unpopular opinion on this is: Good. Get them off my television because they're boring and overrated. I've never liked them. I can see the point in their gimmick, but they've never impressed me as wrestlers or characters and they seem extremely indie to me. Go to AEW where you belong.

Given how good of a businessman he is, it surprises me that Vince is only halfway there on a good business decision. Well, actually, it doesn't surprise me. It makes a lot of sense to gather as many assets (wrestlers) as you can and shelve them until you can think of something to do with them later. The problem is, Vince never actually thought of what to do with them later.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:14 PM

So, what's the plan to get Becky Lynch to win the women's Rumble and set up the title shot against Rousey at WM?

Here's my crazy PPV prediction for the Rumble: for some strange shenanigans reason, Carmella and Asuka get into some sort of fight that leaves them both injured, so now (a) there's nobody in the #30 spot in the women's Rumble, and (b) How About That, now Becky doesn't have an opponent for that show.

Of course, they still have to find a way in the six months after WM to get Rousey over to Smackdown in time for the Fox debut.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 PM

Call me Mustafa Mark. That was a masterful promo he cut on SD. He made Samoa Joe look like a kaiju.

I knew he was better than 205 Live. I just knew it.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSign View Post
I read that ratings dropped around 15% from Hogan's Mean Gene tribute to The Revival match on that RAW. I know a person IRL who turned it off once she saw them. I agree with The Revival's decision. With Trips mentioning recently how NXT is actually a territory and not a minor league, The Revival should have stayed there. But they bring up great points.
The latest news in the sheets is that WWE isn't granting any early releases right now because they don't want talent jumping ship to AEW, and the Revival's contracts aren't up until mid-2020, so they're either gonna be stuck in midcard hell for awhile or just get sent home and not used, like Evan Bourne and JTG and Ted Dibiase Jr. were for ages before they finally got cut.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Looks like Revival is going to work with Kurt Hawkins and Zack Ryder before they depart. Which is a worse fate, sitting around waiting for your contract to end, or putting over WWE's dregs? Ascension must be making decent enough jobber money, or they don't want to take their chances in the Indies.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM

WWE is having a revolving door of commentary for the Rumble this weekend and I just might hang myself. They're using everyone from the normal team to JBL and King Lawler and even Shawn Michaels. Someone on Facebook said the WWE should do what ESPN does for big college bowl games and allow different commentary experiences on different feeds on the network. Let's have the normal team, but also a team where they analyze the wrestling more, maybe a team who calls it more straight, a "throwback" team of an obvious face and heel...just something different.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:07 PM

Well, various articles from 2016 said Konnor and Viktor were making $300k per year, which is about average for low to midcard card men in WWE.

I don't know that there would be any such ability for those two guys to make that much, or anywhere near that much, on the indy circuit. Unless you have some great passion for the business (which doesn't seem the case with them), then why not take that cash and ride the train as long as they'll let you? Shit, live in an apartment, keep your expenses low and put as much of that as possible into investments and retirement accounts so you don't need to sell cars for a living when you're done.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 PM

Apparently Abyss and Sonjay Dutt are done with Impact and are headed to WWE, probably mostly in backstage/trainer roles.

Way too late for the Abyss/Undertaker program Abyss was supposedly offered many years ago, hopefully they can do good behind-the-scenes work (reuniting with Borash, perhaps?)

Wonder if the WWE offer was really that good, or if Anthem is tightening the pursestrings?
Old 01-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Abyss and Sonjay were practically running Impact from what I understand. I guess Sonjay would be good for 205 Live and the India market. Maybe Abyss could add to the hard core element WWE occasionally toys with. He'd make a good surprise entrant for da Rumble.

So what's going to happen with Lars Sullivan? Vince has supposedly moved on from him, but does that mean his career is over? It's hard to market a monster who has anxiety attacks, unless it's like an elephant vs. mouse thing. Maybe work a feud with Hornswoggle?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Apparently Abyss and Sonjay Dutt are done with Impact and are headed to WWE, probably mostly in backstage/trainer roles.

Way too late for the Abyss/Undertaker program Abyss was supposedly offered many years ago, hopefully they can do good behind-the-scenes work (reuniting with Borash, perhaps?)

Wonder if the WWE offer was really that good, or if Anthem is tightening the pursestrings?
Anecdotal: The funniest thing to me about Borash is we always loved him as the host if the Impact tapings because he would constantly hock backstage passes and t-shirts to the loudest fans (re: kids). It was a constant. Then he made the move to WWE and the first time we see him he's....

Hocking t-shirts to the loudest fans (re: kids) at Full Sail Tapings.

Wellp, do one thing and do it well I guess!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Edge and Christian's Show That Totally Reeks of Awesomeness has a hilarious parody of GoT called Game of Jabrones. Edge plays Jamie Lannister, with the gold hand that he can't use, and Christian plays Jon Snow, but his name is Al. Hornswoggle is Tyrion, and Beth Phoenix is Cersei. Tommy Dreamer is Sandor Cleghan, dressed up as Mankind. They bring back some of the stupidest heels of wrestling past like the Yeti, the ECW Zombie and Mordecai to be the undead invaders from the north. Alexa Bliss makes an appearance as Denyaris, and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat is her dragon child.

I love it when badass wrestlers show what nerds they really are.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:28 AM

rousey might be done after wm https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/re...-35/ar-BBSGDHX
Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Supposedly Royal Rumble is tanking at the box office. With any luck, the same will happen for Wrestlemania and I can score some tickets. Brokers got all the NXT Takeover tickets before I ever had a chance.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 PM

I'm not sure how much available Rumble tickets means for WM. The Rumble was usually in a normal arena and this year they put it in a 43K stadium, which is probably double the usual available seats. WM is a destination event, where people fly in from all over the world--the Rumble is popular, but probably not too many people fly in from Australia for it.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Oh, I know. It's just that WrestleMania is in my backyard, and scoring tickets just to fill in the venue would be, as they say, too sweet.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:05 PM

if McMahon ever retires I say give trips the wwe main roster and let jim cornette go nuts with nxt…….
Old 01-26-2019, 07:44 PM

Damnation, the opening tag team match already stole the show! I'm always amazed at how agile that big beefy dude Hanson is. UE and War Raiders need to feud forever ever ever....
Old 01-26-2019, 08:32 PM

WoW. The Gargano-Ricochet ballet was a fucking masterpiece. It told an incredible story, and Rico took some sick bumps, just like his LU days as Prince Puma.

Kassius Ohno reminds me of Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers movies. He wants to do ugly things to you. Riddle took a vicious kick in the teeth and spewed some mouth blood.

I gotta say, in the four or five decades I've watched wrestling, this is the best I've ever seen. Nothing can top NXT.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

NXT keeps the Takeover shows tight with a good pacing and minimal shenanigans...just enough but rarely too much. Another killer show. The only downside is all the top-notch talent that doesn't get on the Takeovers. Every PPV should have a Takeover, not just the big shows.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
if McMahon ever retires I say give trips the wwe main roster and let jim cornette go nuts with nxt.
I dunno, I'm pretty happy with how NXT is run right now. I would be opposed to any change in this.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:15 PM

I know the Rumble is literally on right now, but I actually watched Takeover (live too!) and thought it was a solid show. The tag match was good and War Raiders are way more agile than their size suggests. They should have a good future.

Ricochet is king and always will be.

I need to see Matt Riddle wrestle more before I make a judgement, but KO is just...blegh.

I'm not too impressed with Shayna Baszler and thought the use of her friends was just stupid. That being said, she looked good yesterday and Bianca BelAir is frigging STAR. Good ending to this match.

Main event left me wanting a lot more. It was much slower than I hoped it would be and despite the good storytelling I was just waiting for it to get going. It was a perfectly fine match, but that was it to me.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Asuka's best selling since entering WWE. My Empress of Tomorrow just remedied my one knock on her.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Hot take: I'm so bored with the women's division.

Maybe it's because it's more obvious because of the smaller roster, but just like the men's side the WWE has 4 people they care about and don't let anyone do anything else.

I'm so tired of seeing becky, charlotte, bayley, sasha and (to a point) Nia do EVERYTHING. You have a whole goddamn division! USE THEM!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:15 AM

Nia got in the men's match, so your final point is made doubly so, STC.

Overall, good show. I liked the CW Fatal 4 Way and how it made Buddy Murphy look like a giant in a world of not-so-big men. Asuka vs Becky was pretty brutal, and I dig the way Asuka does her battle shriek. The Bar vs Shane and Miz was a dud. Ronda vs Sasha was pretty good.

Women's RR had some surprises, with MYC competitors getting called in instead of "Legends." Becky's win was kind of cheap, but they've been building up to her vs RR at WM anyway. DB vs AJ was excellent. Good to see Erick Rowan back, but what happens to the Bludgeon Brothers? Maybe DB becomes the new Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper returns to be part of the cult.

Finn vs Brock was better than expected, with Brock's rl diverticulitis made into a plausible angle. Men's RR had Johnny Gargano, Aleister Black, and Pete Dunne get some lengthy time. Dunne used his finger-breaking fetish on Aleister, and Black sold it so well, he made it look like he was popping his dislocated finger back into the joint. I do not wish to speculate on whether that was real, because it gives me the willies, but excellent touch! Mustafa eliminated Samoa Joe, meaning they'll have a WM feud! Glad Seth won.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 01-28-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Brock Lesnar has worked harder and sold more for the smaller Finn Balor and Daniel Bryan than he ever has for Braun Strohman, and often even Roman Reigns. It's a good look for Lesnar.

Other than Cesaro/Sheamus vs. Miz/McMahon and the criminally short Rusev vs. Nakamura, all the matches were entertaining. Hell, my only complaint with Rusev vs. Nakamura is that they didn't give it time to develop and booked that weak-ass finish. I don't think many were Takeover level...well maybe Riddle vs. Ohno level...but entertaining nonetheless.

I agree Sir T-Cups - too much emphasis on too few talents. Smackdown is doing a better job at undercard feuds, but that is just damning them with faint praise because it might be literally impossible to do worse with the undercard than they do with 3-friggin'-hours of Raw.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:15 AM

Wrestlers have been known to change their gimmicks throughout the years. It took me a while to realize PCO, recently signed to RoH as kind of the French Canadian version of the Undertaker, used to be The Mountie in WWF.

He's 51 years old now, colonoscopy age.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:20 AM

God that was a long show. Did it seem to anyone else that they were just cranking through the men's rumble? Maybe the women's rumble went long and they needed to make up for time (or the DB/AJ match went long because that was super boring). Regardless, not a bad show...but too long and not enough fun things happened.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Pierre Carl Oulett (PCO) teamed with Jacques Rougeau in The Quebecers, but it was Jacques Rougeau who was The Mountie. No, I did not know that off the top of my head, but when you posted, I wondered if that might have had anything to do with Raymond Rougeau not doing French commentary for Royal Rumble.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Wait, don't tell me, let me guess:
On Tuesday, Charlotte will whine to the Smackdown GM that Fit Finlay had no authority to allow Becky into the Royal Rumble, so she should be declared the winner and be allowed to wrestle Rousey in the WM main event.
Becky will counter-whine.
Decision: Triple Threat Match at WM.
Result: Becky pins Charlotte, so Rousey can leave WWE (unless the whole "I want to start a family ASAP" thing is a giant swerve) without ever being pinned or submitting - something that will be shoved down our throats not only at the end of the match, but when she eventually makes her return. (Er, she has never been pinned or tapped out in WWE, right?)

Oh...and it looks like the WWE network's "seven-second delay" doesn't apply to just audio censoring (although that did happen at least once); I'm pretty sure a Nip Slip was black-screened.

Last edited by That Don Guy; 01-28-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Wait, don't tell me, let me guess:
On Tuesday, Charlotte will whine to the Smackdown GM that Fit Finlay had no authority to allow Becky into the Royal Rumble, so she should be declared the winner and be allowed to wrestle Rousey in the WM main event.
Becky will counter-whine.
Decision: Triple Threat Match at WM.
Result: Becky pins Charlotte, so Rousey can leave WWE (unless the whole "I want to start a family ASAP" thing is a giant swerve) without ever being pinned or submitting - something that will be shoved down our throats not only at the end of the match, but when she eventually makes her return. (Er, she has never been pinned or tapped out in WWE, right?)

Oh...and it looks like the WWE network's "seven-second delay" doesn't apply to just audio censoring (although that did happen at least once); I'm pretty sure a Nip Slip was black-screened.
Emphasis mine.

Oh, God, no. Please let Rousey leave WWE staring up at the lights.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Supposedly, Ambrose is done after Wrestlemania. Oddly, WWE's official Twitter has seemed to confirm this, which somehow makes me even more suspicious that it's a work.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:10 PM

Hm, so Nia Jax is both a career killer and a career resurger. Dean's leaving after getting knocked out of the ring by her, and R-Troof gets the US title after getting Jaxxed up.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Supposedly, Ambrose is done after Wrestlemania. Oddly, WWE's official Twitter has seemed to confirm this, which somehow makes me even more suspicious that it's a work.
They referred to him as Jonathan Good. When they use the real name, it's legit.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:09 AM

Yup, he's gone in April. Unhappy with creative direction.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pires-in-april

I wonder what this will mean for his wife Rene.

Also means Vince couldn't make him happy with money and promises.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I'm reading reports that he was offered a seven-figure deal to stay, so clearly it's not about money to him at this point.

Hideo Itami is reportedly also being granted his release. He lost his momentum after the injury a few years back and never got it back. I can easily see him going to New Japan or AEW, or even back to ROH.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:36 AM

Normally, I'd think that the wrestlers who want the spotlight the most will figure out how to get it on their own. Then they have Dubba J come back with his 60-year old body squeezed into his 30-year old outfit. No wonder they have so much bloat.

Is WWE really that concerned about AEW? (I keep wanting to call it Area Effect Wrestling. I played too much WoW.) They do better when they have competition.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Yup, he's gone in April. Unhappy with creative direction.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pires-in-april

I wonder what this will mean for his wife Rene.

I'm still in a "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. Asking for releases and not renewing contracts happen ALL THE TIME in the dirtsheets and WWE never responds. This time they are? Not to mention they didn't "future endeavor" him and "hope he'll be back".

It might happen, but I'll wait it out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Hideo Itami is reportedly also being granted his release. He lost his momentum after the injury a few years back and never got it back. I can easily see him going to New Japan or AEW, or even back to ROH.
I'm all for this. Hideo kinda got screwed because of his shoulder injury, and he's never been the same since. He also never looked right in WWE. Head back to Japan and be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Is WWE really that concerned about AEW? (I keep wanting to call it Area Effect Wrestling. I played too much WoW.) They do better when they have competition.
I honestly kinda doubt it. The people who want to leave (Dean nonwithstanding) are all low-level nothings who WWE could care less about. I doubt Dean's motivation is to go off and join AEW, but who knows.

Running a national promotion is hard and takes A LOT of time and money. Fans who immediately think AEW is going to be the next big thing have some learnin' to do. If (and I mean IF) AEW is going to be anywhere near WWE it's going to take ~5 years at least. Besides, you know who should be scared of AEW? ROH and NJPW. Japan less so, but it's going to absolutely kill their goals of expanding into the US. ROH is going to suffer a lot methinks.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I'm still in a "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. Asking for releases and not renewing contracts happen ALL THE TIME in the dirtsheets and WWE never responds. This time they are? Not to mention they didn't "future endeavor" him and "hope he'll be back".
Actually, they did.
Quote:
We are grateful and appreciative of all that Dean has given to WWE and our fans. We wish him well and hope that one day Dean will return to WWE.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Actually, they did.
Sorry, my shitty writing skills messed up what I meant. I meant those as two separate things.

They didn't future endeavor him, instead, they outright said "we hope he'll be back"
Old 01-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Technically they left out "future endeavors", but the same sentiment. "We wish him well" and "We wish him well in his future endeavors" are not dissimilar. Maybe the new intern didn't glossed over the "future endeavor" paragraph?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:35 PM

actually I found out about ambrose on a msn affiliated tv site before wwe even commented

you know you probably ditch the actual rumbles themselves self like they did years ago for the survivor series tag matches since the main point of it was to set up the big money match for the wm main event..... and you can do that at the event between rumble and wm if necessary

Last edited by nightshadea; 01-30-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:46 PM

This past NXT taping saw Velveteen Dream win the NA title off of Johnny Wrestling....only for Johnny to get upset and they re-shot (not restarted the match) end of the match where Johnny wins and retains. From what I've seen/heard from those who were there, this was deliberately done to film two endings to the match and keep audiences guessing.

This makes me think the Ambrose situation is a work all the more.

If this is true, and coupled with the overt weirdness of the Ambrose situation, it seems that WWE is doing some media-savvy shit.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM

Damn, there really are conspiracies in WWE. They're using misinformation agents!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I seriously doubt Ambrose is a work. False press statements by a public company are bad. Filming multiple finishes to a match airing in the future - not bad. One can play with social media and the live TV taping audience. Play with official press statements and you'll have SEC investigations and investor class action suit.

Last edited by D_Odds; 01-31-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
One can play with social media and the live TV taping audience. Play with official press statements and you'll have SEC investigations and investor class action suit.
I can't imagine anyone reading that press release (if you'd even call it that) is going to buy and/or sell WWE stock based on it. I hardly think this is an official press statement that the SEC and investors would even pay attention to.

Besides, if someone WAS dumb enough to move stock based on this announcement, and then try and come at WWE with it, they would:

A: Be fighting against Vince "I've never lost a lawsuit in my life" McMahon (even if that statement isn't entirely true)

B: Have to convince a judge that the scripted wrestling show acted maliciously against its investors in order to move stock one way or another.

Neither of those have any chance of happening.