Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschrodinger View Post
The other two were, I guess, extraordinarily lucky.
You rang? Based on how everything shook out, if I had won my last regular season match, I would have lost in the playoffs.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschrodinger View Post
Two of the teams who won were among the top 4 scoring teams on the season. The other two were, I guess, extraordinarily lucky.
I think at least three of the four results were well within the realms of predictability.

In the 4 v. 5 game, it was actually not too surprising at all that #5 won, given his almost 300-point higher PF over the course of the season

In my game (3 v. 7), I had about 100 points more over the course of the season, but that's less than 10 points per game, and it really doesn't take much of a swing each way to change that around. I also made a couple of bad lineup calls, and could have squeaked out a win if I'd put the right players on the field. C'est la vie!

Even the 1 v. 8 game wasn't that much of a surprise. The #1 team had a good season, but his exceptional record was as much a product of a low PA tally as it was a high PF tally, and he only scored about 36 points more than the #8 team over the regular season.

The only real surprise was 2 v. 7, where #2 had scored over 300 points more than #7 over the course of the season, but still ended up losing, largely thanks to sub-par performances from two of the players who had been massive for him all season - Gurley and Ertz.

Anyway, that's the way it goes. I had a fun season, and I'm looking forward to next year.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
The only real surprise was 2 v. 7, where #2 had scored over 300 points more than #7 over the course of the season, but still ended up losing, largely thanks to sub-par performances from two of the players who had been massive for him all season - Gurley and Ertz.
Given that I lost in the finals by 1/2 point last year I figure I was just due a little luck.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I think at least three of the four results were well within the realms of predictability.

In the 4 v. 5 game, it was actually not too surprising at all that #5 won, given his almost 300-point higher PF over the course of the season.
Right. My point was that it was not surprising that the higher scoring teams for the season got wins in the playoffs.

And the luck I was referring to for the other two (#6 & #7) wasn't just for winning their playoff games. They had bottom half PF scores, but got lucky in matchups. PA is pure luck in fantasy, unlike in real games. It isn't that surprising that they won, necessarily -- there's always a random factor, and that's why they play the games, as they say. But it's certainly more surprising, and more lucky, than the result for the #5 & #8 teams, who were top 4 in PF.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 PM

Going into the Sunday night game there’s a pretty good chance that the bottom seeds will sweep again. We may have a 7v8 final if Goff outplays Foles and Brees has a typical game.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:29 AM

There we go. If Brees manages to score 13 fantasy points tonight our two bottom seeds will play for the championship next week. Strangest fantasy season in a long time.

At least the consolation bracket went chalk. The championship game everyone expected will still take place next week. It's just the 5th place game.

Last edited by Pixel_Dent; 12-17-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Well, my luck finally ran out. Second highest score, but had the misfortune of going against the highest score. Worst part is I picked up the Indy defense for next week, but didn't play them, which would've put me over the top.

Oh well, I've secured my highest finish since 2014 and bounced back from my #19 finish last year.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
There we go. If Brees manages to score 13 fantasy points tonight our two bottom seeds will play for the championship next week. Strangest fantasy season in a long time.
You know what's even stranger? Drew Brees scoring 7 fantasy points and losing the game for Garcon's Cedilla.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
You know what's even stranger? Drew Brees scoring 7 fantasy points and losing the game for Garcon's Cedilla.
Garcon's had also added and deployed Ian Thomas for MNF, who had two early catches and after that nothing.

In the bigger picture - one of the Keenan Allen owner casualties.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:01 AM

Last year going into the finals I spent 3 days agonizing over my last roster spot needing to decide on one of 4 players. In the end I chose Trey Burton who put up a 0 and I lost by 1/2 point. (About two months later Burton threw the Philly Special pass in the Superbowl, so my patience paid off.)

This year I'm throwing darts at my roster.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:29 AM

We have our championship game. The Dented Pixels (Pixel Dent) vs John's Dandy Team (Hamlet), who happened to be the 5th and 7th seed going into the playoffs. What a topsy turvy playoffs we've had.

The third place game is Garcon's Cedilla vs Rough and Tumblrs.

The fifth place game is Exploding Pancakes vs The Str8dope My Foot, which was originally probably the favorite to be the championship game. My team would've fell apart on the finals week anyway, with Josh Gordon suspended, Aaron Jones on IR, and Todd Gurley 50/50 to play.

And the 7th place game, Mundi Madness vs Inglewood Chargers.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:10 AM

Congratulations to Pixel Dent, our winner this year.

1. The Dented Pixels (Pixel Dent)
2. John's Dandy Team (Hamlet)
3. Rough and Tumblrs (enalzi)
4. Garcon's Cedilla (off-board)
5. Exploding Pancakes (SenorBeef)
6. The Str8dope My Foot (Covfefe)
7. Mundi Madness (Spiritus Mundi)
8. Inglewood Chargers (mhendo)
9. RshawnHochuliPeppers (Darth Sensitive)
10. No Use For A Name (Retrovertigo)
11. Team Anonymous (motu)
12. eschrodinger's cats (eschrodinger)
13. Frosted_Lightning (Frosted Glass)
14. Fourth and Nineteen (Wilson)
15. Bloom County Bills (It's Not Rocket Surgery!)
16. Nine Inch Neils (Really Not All That Bright)
17. Alex's Team (off-board)
18. Up By Three (Taber)

Thanks everyone for playing this year. Hopefully next year we can get back up to 20 players.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:59 PM

Congratulations Pixel Dent. Thanks, SenorBeef, for running the league again.

See you all next year!
Old 12-26-2018, 01:35 PM

I had the highest points this week, mean if I had just scored 7 more points last week, I would be the champ. Oh well, best finish yet for me. 5 playoff berths in 7 years, still no visit to the finals. One of these years I going to crack it.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Congrats Pixel Dent. 2nd and 1st in your only 2 years playing is pretty impressive (unless I missed a name change).
Old 01-03-2019, 05:43 PM

I was very, very lucky. Looking forward to defending the crown next year though.