Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Why "elite" players? It sounds like the problem you have shouldn't apply to only elite players, but to everyone. Why should only Bell be able to get market value, while poor James Conner or BJ Finney are stuck in the same situation? Do you propose ending the CBA, the draft, and salary cap, but only for only elite players?
Because they're on rookie contracts with slotted pay? They're not playing under repeated franchise tags.

Quote:
You know how many yards Bell had receiving last year? 133 yards less than Gurley. You know how many yards receiving Bell had in 2016? 263 yards less than Johnson. You know how many times Bell has led running backs in yards from scrimmage? Never.

Tell me again about "head and shoulders" better than anyone else.
Good job nitpicking single seasons instead of looking at career averages. TOTALLY makes your point, because there's no way I'd point out Bell out-rushed Johnson by 1250 yards last year, or out-rushed Gurley by 400 yards in 2016, in year he only played 12 games (which you must have missed in your own comparison).

Taking out Bell's blown knee 2015 and rookie 2013, he's finished 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd in yards from scrimmage. Gurley? Minus rookie year - 20th and 1st. Johnson finished 1st in his ONLY non-rookie, non-injured season. Elliot finished 2nd in his rookie season, but 15th last year (suspension-shortened). Bell is top 3 EVERY year, not just once here or there.

Gurley has already made twice what Bell has, despite playing half as long. Johnson has made as much, with another ~$16 million guaranteed. Elliot made more the day he signed his contract than Bell has in his entire career. Tell me again how 1/2, 1/2, and 2/3 aren't fractions.
  #52  
Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
Wtf is up with Boswell?
  #53  
Old 09-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
So the pick wasn’t good and it cost Pittsburgh points (though it was a really good interception), but that McDonald posterization of Conte, the fumble recovery, and now Brown’s great touchdown has Pittsburgh looking pretty damn good.

Hopefully it lasts.
  #54  
Old 09-24-2018, 09:32 PM
Hamlet Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Because they're on rookie contracts with slotted pay? They're not playing under repeated franchise tags.
So you're fine with players being paid under "market value" as long as they're rookies? Seriously, I don't get your point at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel
Good job nitpicking single seasons instead of looking at career averages. TOTALLY makes your point, because there's no way I'd point out Bell out-rushed Johnson by 1250 yards last year,
I gotta give you this: You Steeler fans have balls. The sheer audacity it takes to harp against "cherry picking" in the SAME FUCKING SENTENCE that you pick a season where Johnson was injured the entire year. That's some serious cognitive dissonance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel
Taking out Bell's blown knee 2015 and rookie 2013,
Then, to follow that up you do ... more cherry picking. That is fucking amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel
he's finished 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd in yards from scrimmage. Gurley? Minus rookie year - 20th and 1st. Johnson finished 1st in his ONLY non-rookie, non-injured season. Elliot finished 2nd in his rookie season, but 15th last year (suspension-shortened). Bell is top 3 EVERY year, not just once here or there.
Sure, when you exclude the years he's not, he sure is. Impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel
Gurley has already made twice what Bell has, despite playing half as long. Johnson has made as much, with another ~$16 million guaranteed.
Because Johnson signed his contract this offseason, while Bell held out. Johnson had made about 1.3 million in his 3 years before he got paid this September, while Bell had made 3 times as much.

I won't argue that Bell clearly outperformed what he was paid on his rookie contract. He clearly did. But reading is your friend. And the comment I was countering was this one: "Would you keep working if your employer offered to pay you a fraction of what your peers make?". Notice how it wasn't about how much he was paid in the past, but rather what he was offered and could be making currently. Maybe that's where you get confused.
  #55  
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Could there be more roughing the passer calls?

They need to fix this. I get that they want to protect the quarterbacks, but come on, this is silly.
  #56  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:59 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
So you're fine with players being paid under "market value" as long as they're rookies? Seriously, I don't get your point at all.
Yes. Because they're unproven commodities. Would you rather go back to the time when teams wasted tens of millions on the likes of JaMarcus Russell and Aaron Curry?

Quote:
I gotta give you this: You Steeler fans have balls. The sheer audacity it takes to harp against "cherry picking" in the SAME FUCKING SENTENCE that you pick a season where Johnson was injured the entire year. That's some serious cognitive dissonance.

Then, to follow that up you do ... more cherry picking. That is fucking amazing.
Wait, so you cherry pick years, then throw away context of pointing out the utter to accuse someone else of cherry picking? Why do you get to pick certain years to argue your point, but someone else pointing out your absurdity is cherry picking? Like I stated at the beginning, use their career averages. I still find it funny you think I'm a Steelers fan. Reading is your friend.


Quote:
Sure, when you exclude the years he's not, he sure is. Impressive.
It's almost like I removed EVERYBODY'S really shitty years - ya know, to account for years they were injured or weren't starters. But please continue showing an incredible lack of understanding of anything approaching rational debate.
  #57  
Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
I really wish they would stop doing this to me. This game was over at halftime and they let the Bucs get back in it.

It’s a win, though. I’ll take it.
  #58  
Old 09-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
Steelers squeaked one out. The mind boggles at what might be possible if the defense showed up both halves. Or if we had a kicker.
Lot of fixing still to do.
  #59  
Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Steelers squeaked one out. The mind boggles at what might be possible if the defense showed up both halves. Or if we had a kicker.
Lot of fixing still to do.
I wonder what Boswell is thinking. I hope itís fixable and not full-blown Steve Blass Disease, because if it is theyíre dead and buried.

As for the defense, itís pretty obvious how much Shazier mattered. They played adequately, but it wasnít a game they should remember fondly. Having Haden back helped, and the pass rush was pretty good, but they left too much open in the middle and got burned deep far too much.
  #60  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:07 AM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
I think Hilton having to leave mid-game had an outsized effect. That needs addressing, because him getting injured is unfortunately not going to be all that rare.
  #61  
Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Clawdio Clawdio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 795
Let's take a midweek moment to reflect on that glorious Vance McDonald stiff arm.

These twitter reactions made me laugh.
  #62  
Old 09-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
I really wish they would stop doing this to me. This game was over at halftime and they let the Bucs get back in it.

Itís a win, though. Iíll take it.
I was really hoping for a tie and was sad the Bucs came up short. Close though.

I thought itíd be awesome if Pittsburgh got a bunch of ties this season.
  #63  
Old 09-30-2018, 06:18 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Tonight they get the hated Ratbirds and are predicted to win. Yeah. This game is going to be brutal, it will probably come down to the last minute, it will likely be decided by a touchdown or less, and the Steelers will lose someone significant for a while.

I hate AFC North games.

24-21 Steelers. With the Bengals win against the choke-happy Falcons today they’ll be a game out of first, but that won’t last long.
  #64  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad start.

I hope it gets better.
  #65  
Old 09-30-2018, 09:12 PM
Hamlet Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,210
I feel bad for how horrible your defense is playing. Here, have this gift.

Love,

Alex Collins
  #66  
Old 09-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
Boswell made his FG. Thatís something.
  #67  
Old 09-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Hamlet Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I feel bad for how horrible your defense is playing. Here, have this gift.

Love,

Alex Collins
Me too. I didn't want this interception anyway.

Love,

Tavon Young
  #68  
Old 09-30-2018, 11:20 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
Ravens were just better. Then again, at present, half the AFC north is better than the Steelers. Arguably three-quarters of it. And the funny thing is, it has pretty much nothing to do with Bell.
  #69  
Old 09-30-2018, 11:20 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
So after that comeback they’re going to lose.

Maybe one of these days they won’t fall behind by two scores immediately and actually build a lead.

1-2-1 isn’t at all what I expected. Still, plenty of season left.
  #70  
Old 10-02-2018, 12:05 PM
asterion asterion is offline
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 11,659
With Bell wanting to come back after the bye, do the Steelers trade him or cut him instead? Does their record matter for the decision? In other words, would 3-2-1 make a bigger difference than 1-4-1 or something in-between.

I like the Steelers. I understand Bell wanting to get paid. But I feel like I wouldn't blame Pittsburgh if they either trade or cut him, especially if the season feels lost.
  #71  
Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,757
I can't wait for October 14th. I scored some free tickets from work so I am going with my 16 year old son. He's a big Bengals fan too. He's a good boy!

He's been to a couple games before but never to a Steelers game. He understands that it gets ratcheted up to another level when these two teams meet, that there will likely be a couple drunken fights in the stands, etc.

Oddly enough, since I'm so perenially poor, I haven't been able to afford to go to any games the last few years and this'll be my first NFL game I will attend since I quit drinking due to health reasons, so that will be a little weird. I have never been completely sober at an NFL game before. I guess I'll have a coke.
  #72  
Old 10-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Last week it came out that Bell was planning to report during the bye week.

Now, one could make the argument that Pittsburghís poor performance this year is partially due to him. I donít choose to make that argument, but itís not entirely unreasonable given the virtual abandonment of the running game. If so, why bother showing up at all until week 10? The Steelers might be dead and buried by then.

Now heís saying he doesnít want to be traded. In other words, he wants it both ways. Iíve been understanding of his holdout, but I also recognize that there will be consequences from it. He wants to pretend that everything will be just fine, that there will be no issues and heíll be welcomed with open arms.

My support for him is rapidly waning. If he wants to be there he should just be there. Otherwise, I donít care what he wants. Thereís his consequences. If theyíre done and he comes back thinking everythingís cool heís dreaming.

Anyway, this game will be a shootout. If Ben is accurate Pittsburgh wins. If not, they lose.

35-31 Pittsburgh.
  #73  
Old 10-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
I’m close on Pittsburgh’s score, anyway.

The defense has made some mistakes but overall they’ve all but shut down Julio Jones and asserted control of this game. Conner is running well, which is what happens when you don’t abandon the running game for a change.
  #74  
Old 10-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
Pressure on the other guy’s quarterback. Running the ball. Seems to work. Should try that some more.
  #75  
Old 10-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Pressure on the other guyís quarterback. Running the ball. Seems to work. Should try that some more.
I know, right?

So, how about that ludicrous roughing the passer call on Watt? This is getting absurd.
  #76  
Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,242
I just want hope Tomlin reads Antonio Brown the riot act. He's becoming more and more a liability everyday. The guy is becoming more trouble than he's worth.
  #77  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I just want hope Tomlin reads Antonio Brown the riot act. He's becoming more and more a liability everyday. The guy is becoming more trouble than he's worth.
The best receiver in football is more trouble than heís worth? Not yet, anyway, though I agree that he should be talked to.

So today is the semi-annual Bloodbath Bowl. The psycho Burfict is back, so the risk of season-altering injury is high. I want Pittsburgh to win, of course, but not at the cost of the rest of the season because of some lunatic.
  #78  
Old 10-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,242
I said becoming -- he's not quite there yet. I simply find it disgusting when athletes use, "I'm the best!" as an excuse to be a jackass.
  #79  
Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
JuJu with the outrageous catch inside the 1!
  #80  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
I can’t believe that just happened.

Wait, check that. It was the Bengals. It’s completely believable.

I’ll talk more after my hands stop shaking and my pulse returns to normal.
  #81  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
That was pleasing. I liked that the Bengals were largely in control of themselves enough to keep the game from turning into a prison-yard fight, and I liked that the Steelers were able to stay on the high road those couple times when the Bengals did still try to go extracurricular.

The win was nice too, of course.
  #82  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:19 PM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Now that I’m calmed down, I’ll say that it was quite a thrilling game. Pittsburgh dominated aside from the two drives when they just decided that they were OK with letting the Bengals score. The one right before the half was simply stupid Prevent, which should be banned by all teams to protect the sanity of the fans.

Then the Bengals fell asleep on Ben, which nobody should ever do. I didn’t expect the touchdown, but I thought the field goal try was likely.

Can the NFL PLEASE ban Burfict? He caught three different heads today, and it was clearly deliberate. He is going to kill somebody sooner or later. There’s no way he doesn’t get fined for this performance. First was the hit on McDonald, then the leaning in shoulder-to-helmet hit on Brown, and last was the helmet-to-helmet hit on Conner. He’s never going to change, and the NFL has to come to grips with that. The game he wants to play doesn’t exist anymore.

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 10-14-2018 at 05:19 PM.
  #83  
Old 10-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I said becoming -- he's not quite there yet. I simply find it disgusting when athletes use, "I'm the best!" as an excuse to be a jackass.
The OBJ Effect.

And congrats to the Steelers for the win, and to both teams for a clean game. If they meet again postseason letís see if they manage to behave like professionals again like this game.
  #84  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
Now that I’m calmed down, I’ll say that it was quite a thrilling game. Pittsburgh dominated aside from the two drives when they just decided that they were OK with letting the Bengals score. The one right before the half was simply stupid Prevent, which should be banned by all teams to protect the sanity of the fans.

Then the Bengals fell asleep on Ben, which nobody should ever do. I didn’t expect the touchdown, but I thought the field goal try was likely.

Can the NFL PLEASE ban Burfict? He caught three different heads today, and it was clearly deliberate. He is going to kill somebody sooner or later. There’s no way he doesn’t get fined for this performance. First was the hit on McDonald, then the leaning in shoulder-to-helmet hit on Brown, and last was the helmet-to-helmet hit on Conner. He’s never going to change, and the NFL has to come to grips with that. The game he wants to play doesn’t exist anymore.
Dude, you're the fucking lunatic for thinking that about Burfict when so many players of yours have trodden through the Hall Of Dirty Play (Ward, Harrison, Mitchell, Shazier, etc). It's highly ironic. If Vontaze had been on your team all this time you'd be crying when he was flagged because it would be considered "Good Stiller Futbawl". You got lucky. Enjoy it. We still are in charge of the division for now.

I hope the NFL squashes this bizarre narrative that Shazier is some kind of hero because he walked after breaking his own fucking neck because he was headhunting rather than wrapping up. I simply cannot believe that Stealer fans fail the objectivity test on this.

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 10-14-2018 at 09:10 PM.
  #85  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,757
Also:

That defensive holding call on Dre Kirkpatrick was very suspect, and kept your TD winning drive alive when it otherwise would have been 4th and 10.

And, that Legohead TD was a pick play and should have been flagged and brought back and not a TD.

The rules state thusly: ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS BY THE OFFENSE
Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference. See 8-3-1 for exception for an ineligible offensive player.

***Note: It is also pass interference by the offense to block a defender beyond the line while the pass is in the air, if the block occurs in the vicinity of the player to whom the pass is thrown. See 8-3-1-Note for exception for ineligible players.
  #86  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
If Vontaze had been on your team all this time you'd be crying when he was flagged because it would be considered "Good Stiller Futbawl".
Not so. No matter how often you say this.
  #87  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Clawdio Clawdio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Also:

That defensive holding call on Dre Kirkpatrick was very suspect, and kept your TD winning drive alive when it otherwise would have been 4th and 10.

And, that Legohead TD was a pick play and should have been flagged and brought back and not a TD.

The rules state thusly: ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS BY THE OFFENSE
Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference. See 8-3-1 for exception for an ineligible offensive player.

***Note: It is also pass interference by the offense to block a defender beyond the line while the pass is in the air, if the block occurs in the vicinity of the player to whom the pass is thrown. See 8-3-1-Note for exception for ineligible players.
Yet the league, and talking heads on ALL networks agree it was a good no call (including Tony Dungy & Rodney Harrison on NBC, two folks known for defense). There was no penalty. Just the Bungles doing what they do best. Bungling.

Anywho, bye week time. Hopefully the Steelers come out on the other side and are able to impose their will against the Brownies.
  #88  
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 AM
Airman Doors, USAF Airman Doors, USAF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Dude, you're the fucking lunatic for thinking that about Burfict when so many players of yours have trodden through the Hall Of Dirty Play (Ward, Harrison, Mitchell, Shazier, etc). It's highly ironic. If Vontaze had been on your team all this time you'd be crying when he was flagged because it would be considered "Good Stiller Futbawl". You got lucky. Enjoy it. We still are in charge of the division for now.
I love this argument. Your guys were dirty so you can’t talk about my guy.

The game has changed. Every time there’s been a dirty hit I’ve acknowledged it as such under the rules of the time. NFL Films is littered with hits that wouldn’t pass muster today. And that’s what we’re talking about, today. Under today’s rules Burfict is dirty as hell and no, I wouldn’t want him on the Steelers because he’s hurt his own team repeatedly, so why would I want him to hurt mine? He just came back from a suspension and I bet he gets another one. He can’t learn. Even Harrison learned.

Quote:
I hope the NFL squashes this bizarre narrative that Shazier is some kind of hero because he walked after breaking his own fucking neck because he was headhunting rather than wrapping up. I simply cannot believe that Stealer fans fail the objectivity test on this.
He didn’t break his neck, and he wasn’t trying to headhunt, unless the head is located in the abdomen. It wasn’t good tackling, to be sure, but nobody deserves to be paralyzed over it. I find it disturbing that the overwhelming consensus from Bengals fans is that he deserved to be paralyzed. Now, of course, comes your denial, but your indifference is plain to see in your comments. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody, which is what a rational, normal person feels, not indifference and contempt.

Burfict is out of control. Sooner or later the NFL will have to deal with him or explain why they didn’t when he finally, irreparably wrecks someone. Your inability to admit that speaks volumes.

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 10-15-2018 at 01:14 AM.
  #89  
Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 AM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,242
Ryan Shazier is a "hero" because he's a decent guy who's going managing to overcome a major setback.
  #90  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 14,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Also:

That defensive holding call on Dre Kirkpatrick was very suspect, and kept your TD winning drive alive when it otherwise would have been 4th and 10.

And, that Legohead TD was a pick play and should have been flagged and brought back and not a TD.

The rules state thusly: ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS BY THE OFFENSE
Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference. See 8-3-1 for exception for an ineligible offensive player.

***Note: It is also pass interference by the offense to block a defender beyond the line while the pass is in the air, if the block occurs in the vicinity of the player to whom the pass is thrown. See 8-3-1-Note for exception for ineligible players.
The NFL has said that the play was not a penalty because the defender initiated the contact. FWIIW.
  #91  
Old 10-16-2018, 12:23 AM
UltraVires UltraVires is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 14,690
As a Steelers fan, I though Kirkpatrick sodomized Antonio Brown and that was a good call. I thought we got away with a pick play on the TD.
  #92  
Old 10-16-2018, 03:11 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
Yet the league, and talking heads on ALL networks agree it was a good no call (including Tony Dungy & Rodney Harrison on NBC, two folks known for defense). There was no penalty. Just the Bungles doing what they do best. Bungling.

Anywho, bye week time. Hopefully the Steelers come out on the other side and are able to impose their will against the Brownies.
But the whole league doesn't agree.

Marvin Lewis on Al Riveron saying defender initiated contact: "In my opinion that's not true. The receiver is more than a yard inside the line of scrimmage, Tony (McRae) tries to slide inside and is contacted. That defines pass interference, OPI. Unless it's called it doesn't matter."

Terry McAulay, former NFL official and now league rules expert for NBC Sports: Terry McAulay
@SNFRules
My thoughts on Pit/Cin TD: The defender is sliding over to cover AB and puts his hands up to protect himself from contact. The offensive player squares up and engages/blocks the defender. Contact clearly occurs more than a yard beyond the line. This should be a foul.

There are others. Ultimately the game is over and there's no going back now and I just need to deal with it. The Bengals share a huge amount of blame for losing the game...like gaining a whopping FOUR yards in the entirety of the third quarter, not going for it on 4th and one in Steelers territory on their opening drive of the second half, not running Mixon more period (only 11 carries) and specifically on that final drive to help eat some of that clock and force Pittsburgh to call timeouts (Marvin Lewis' wonderful clock management skills on display yet again), Dalton not running the play clock down on their final drive to take the lead, zero pressure on Rothlisberger (although some of that was a lot of uncalled holding by the Steelers o-line), etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
I love this argument. Your guys were dirty so you canít talk about my guy.

The game has changed. Every time thereís been a dirty hit Iíve acknowledged it as such under the rules of the time. NFL Films is littered with hits that wouldnít pass muster today. And thatís what weíre talking about, today. Under todayís rules Burfict is dirty as hell and no, I wouldnít want him on the Steelers because heís hurt his own team repeatedly, so why would I want him to hurt mine? He just came back from a suspension and I bet he gets another one. He canít learn. Even Harrison learned.



He didnít break his neck, and he wasnít trying to headhunt, unless the head is located in the abdomen. It wasnít good tackling, to be sure, but nobody deserves to be paralyzed over it. I find it disturbing that the overwhelming consensus from Bengals fans is that he deserved to be paralyzed. Now, of course, comes your denial, but your indifference is plain to see in your comments. I wouldnít wish that on anybody, which is what a rational, normal person feels, not indifference and contempt.

Burfict is out of control. Sooner or later the NFL will have to deal with him or explain why they didnít when he finally, irreparably wrecks someone. Your inability to admit that speaks volumes.
Now hold on a second. I never said "you can't talk about my guy". I said essentially that I believe that the majority of Steelers fans would embrace Burfict and his aggressive (and yes, sometimes dirty) play if he was on your team. The forearm shiver to Brown in the game was a dirty play, and just stupid. Burfict is stupid for not learning how to play within the confines of the current rules.

I agree that Shazier (or anyone) doesn't deserve what he got. But he did it to himself. And he's the same guy that knocked Giovanni Bernard out by planting the ctown of his helmet into Bernard's earhole, giving him a major concussion.

I do not wish injuries on anyone. I also don't think that Burfict is out of control, he's just an idiot that happens to be the most talented LB on the Bengals roster (which admittedly isn't saying much). Heck, we're the walking wounded after that game. Nick Vigil is out for a month or more, Shawn Williams is in concussion protocol and we have a host of other injuries to key players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Ryan Shazier is a "hero" because he's a decent guy who's going managing to overcome a major setback.
I guess my issue with the whole thing is that a "hero" is someone risking their life to save someone else's and that the label of "hero" is often misapplied. I apologize if I came off sounding anything other than that.
  #93  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 AM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,242
Yeah, whatever.
  #94  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 AM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,294
"Not everyone agrees!" First cite, Bengals coach

Contact was initiated less than a yard from the line of scrimmage, no matter what Marvin says. OPI is for blocks initiated WHILE the ball is in the air. Since McRae and Hunter were already engaged before the pass was even thrown, that's another unicorn call. McRae ran into Hunter. Done. Attempting to claim otherwise would be to argue every receiver commits OPI when attempting to beat press coverage.
  #95  
Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 AM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Yeah, whatever.
Seriously? Jeez. Just because we don't like each other's teams doesn't allow for handwaving away evidence that's contrary to your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
"Not everyone agrees!" First cite, Bengals coach

Contact was initiated less than a yard from the line of scrimmage, no matter what Marvin says. OPI is for blocks initiated WHILE the ball is in the air. Since McRae and Hunter were already engaged before the pass was even thrown, that's another unicorn call. McRae ran into Hunter. Done. Attempting to claim otherwise would be to argue every receiver commits OPI when attempting to beat press coverage.
Who cares if the first cite is from Lewis? Second cite is from a long term career NFL ref. Contact was NOT initiated by the defender, it was initiated by Hunter, and it WAS beyond a yard off the LOS. And no, the ball doesn't have to be in the air for it to be a penalty. It's an either/or situation.
  #96  
Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 14,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
And no, the ball doesn't have to be in the air for it to be a penalty. It's an either/or situation.
It does for pass interference, which is what he said. Contact before a pass can be a penalty, but it's for things like illegal use of hands, illegal contact, holding, etc.
  #97  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Contact was NOT initiated by the defender, it was initiated by Hunter, and it WAS beyond a yard off the LOS.
Then I have no idea what play you were watching, because it's not the one where Brown beat the Bengals because of shit defensive playcalling.
  #98  
Old 10-17-2018, 04:05 PM
SenorBeef SenorBeef is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 27,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Dude, you're the fucking lunatic for thinking that about Burfict when so many players of yours have trodden through the Hall Of Dirty Play (Ward, Harrison, Mitchell, Shazier, etc). It's highly ironic. If Vontaze had been on your team all this time you'd be crying when he was flagged because it would be considered "Good Stiller Futbawl". You got lucky. Enjoy it. We still are in charge of the division for now.
Ladies, please! Both your franchises have a long and shitty history of employing shitbag players who attempt to injure and murder the opposition. Here's an issue of common ground on which you could bond, rather than following the lead of your franchises and attempting to injure the other side.


He's right though. I remember how often Hines Ward hitting someone in the back of the head after the whistle blew when the player was clearly done with the play and not looking was jizzed on by the commentators about being GOOD HARD STILLERS FOOTBALL THAT HINES WARD SURE KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE GAME. Yes, Hines Ward was tough and played tough. Yes, he was dirty as fuck and tried to hurt people who weren't looking even away from the play of after the play. Yes, no one could tell the difference and praised all of it.

I don't even want to get into Harrison. That dude is a fucking terminator that feels no human feelings except for the joy of inflicting suffering on others.

Bengals players are also dirty as fuck, but I haven't seen them or the third party announcers embrace it the way trying to murder people is GOOD HARD STILLERS FOOTBALL.

So I guess if I had to sum it up I guess... fuck all yall.
  #99  
Old 10-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Clawdio Clawdio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 795
Another year, a new thread, and more whining about Hines Ward hits. I'm having deja vu. You guys know his last year of playing was 2011 right?

And that James Harrison is also retired. And that he had no penalties for the Steelers in 2017, and two offsides penalties in 2016. If we go back to 2015 he did indeed have 2 or 3 more severe penalties. Maybe we should open the 2015 thread to discuss...

Last edited by Clawdio; 10-17-2018 at 06:05 PM.
  #100  
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM
SacFly SacFly is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 93
Burfict gonna Burfict. Be proud Cincy, he's your best linebacker. Nothing like a nice clean forearm to the head while a receiver is on the way to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrPH7r4-ZbA
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017