Old 10-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Anyone notice that every time Hue Jackson is shown on television he's making a face like his application to adopt a kitten just got denied?

Glad to see the Steelers assert their will in quarters 2-4 after a hairy first quarter. (aside from the inexplicable free kick... sheesh).

Last edited by Clawdio; 10-28-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:09 PM

That free kick debacle and the plays after that were some of the worst football Iíve ever seen out of a Pittsburgh team. The first quarter was a mess.

The rest, though, was pretty damn good. Youíre welcome for Haley, by the way. The Brownsí defense is pretty good but the offense is not, and itís not from lack of talent. Mayfield is going to be good for a long time and the receivers are at least acceptable if not at Pittsburghís level. No, itís the playcalling. Youíre getting a really good look at whatís pissed Steelers fans off for years. He wastes the talent around him.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Friend of Cecil

Trade deadline come and gone. Looks like the Stillers will get a halfway decent RB for the rest of the season. Unless they rescind the franchise tag.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Trade deadline come and gone. Looks like the Stillers will get a halfway decent RB for the rest of the season. Unless they rescind the franchise tag.
At this point Conner actually has better stats than Bell at the same point in any season heís played. He doesnít look as spectacular doing it, but the results are all that matter.

Bell is either completely convinced that heís going to get a contract that Conner played him out of or heís stuck and has to see it through no matter what. Either way, itís been a dumb strategy for him. Truthfully, I donít think Pittsburgh wants him back. He says he wants to stay but wonít show, and now that the trade deadline has passed thereís nothing left to do but show. Conner took his job, so what do they need him for?

I half want to see Bell forget when the absolute last second report date is so we can watch him do this all over again next year. The other half of me no longer cares. But, barring injury to Conner, there isnít any of me that wants to see him on the field this year. My understanding and patience with this disappeared weeks ago.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:44 AM

And today Conner gets AFC Player of the Month.

Bell should be firing his agent and reporting yesterday.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
.......But, barring injury to Conner, there isnít any of me that wants to see him on the field this year. My understanding and patience with this disappeared weeks ago.
This is my feeling as well. I would prefer to have a dedicated and in-shape Bell. But that's not what we have, and Conner is doing a fine job.

I know Haley got a lot of flak. He didn't get along with Ben and he's apparently difficult to get along with generally. But I felt he was a major step up from Arians. During his tenure they put together a solid o-line and an offense where Ben isn't taking a beating week after week.

Defense was our weakness during the Haley era, not the offense.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:42 AM

I've accepted that its time for the Steelers to move on from Bell.

But I wouldn't say Bell has done anything stupid, he's just going the EXTREMELY safe route. Reports are that the $70M contract offer from the Steelers had only $10M guaranteed. I think Gurley had something like $40M guaranteed in his contract. So while he is passing on up to $14M of guaranteed money this year, its almost certain that some team will offer him a contract with more guaranteed money than $14M.

So ultimately he wasn't willing to take the risk of a career ending injury for $14M in the case of the franchise tag, or $10M in the case of signing the contract offer. Not saying I like it, or it was the right move, just saying its the extremely safe move for him to make. We'll never know if was the "right" move, because there is some non-zero chance that he could have suffered a career ending injury in 2018. To me personally, $14M is worth the risk, but I know for damn sure no one is going to offer me $40M guaranteed next year.... Bell, not so much.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:58 AM

Today is the rematch with the hated Ratbirds. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they scheduled these games so early in the season when they always have meaning later on with exciting endings, but whatever. This has big division implications, if the Rats win they sweep and hold the upper hand while Pittsburgh still has to play the likes of New England. Pittsburgh is coming off a great couple of games while Baltimore is coming off a game where they were dominated by the Panthers.

Pittsburgh ought to win this but it’s in Baltimore and anything can (and usually does) happen.

Pittsburgh 24, Ratbirds 21.

One more thing: Bell has to show by Saturday or he’s done for the year and he gets to do this all over again next year. I don’t care what he does, but I’ll be glad it’s over. I am sick to death of the whole situation and I hope he doesn’t show up and fracture the whole team. There’s been enough discord in Pittsburgh this year.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I can’t for the life of me figure out why they scheduled these games so early in the season when they always have meaning later on with exciting endings, but whatever.
Not to derail the thread, but I completely agree with your complaint about the scheduling. The Chiefs-Broncos matchups always produce exciting football, generally with divisional implications. They're already done for the year.

If I had my way, the first 3 weeks of the season would be solely divisional games, as would the last 3 weeks of the season.

Last edited by Railer13; 11-04-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:28 PM

...and the season just went to shit. Ben down with an apparent throwing shoulder injury.

At least it’s not Landry Fucking Jones.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:31 PM

And Ben came right back in.

Dammit, stop doing this to us.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:55 PM

Ben loves his drama!
Old 11-04-2018, 04:30 PM

Apparently he only had the wind knocked out of him. The way he reacted looked serious, though.

Exciting game. Too exciting.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Friend of Cecil

Interesting that Connor is nearly as good as (actually statistically better than ) Bell. It is possible that the Steelers had recruiting-lightning hit twice. On the other hand, the one thing these 2 have in common is the guys actually creating the holes for them to exploit. We need to lock down that O-line.

I am very happy with how the Steelers look. That said, Iím not sure they could beat the Chiefs even now. And those Panthers on Thursday are going to be a very tough team to beat, and could drop us to 5-3-1. Thatís ok though, weíll end up top of AFC north when the practice squad beats the ( soon to be London) Bengals in the homecoming game.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 PM

I know I’m making a mistake by posting this, but Pittsburgh is curb-stomping Carolina right now.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 PM

It pains me to admit that the Steelers of November are not the same Steelers that tied a game against the Browns in September or October.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Interesting that Connor is nearly as good as (actually statistically better than ) Bell. It is possible that the Steelers had recruiting-lightning hit twice. On the other hand, the one thing these 2 have in common is the guys actually creating the holes for them to exploit. We need to lock down that O-line.

I am very happy with how the Steelers look. That said, Iím not sure they could beat the Chiefs even now. And those Panthers on Thursday are going to be a very tough team to beat, and could drop us to 5-3-1. Thatís ok though, weíll end up top of AFC north when the practice squad beats the ( soon to be London) Bengals in the homecoming game.
Nail meet head. The Steelers have arguably the best o-line in the NFL, and kinda all of a sudden. When the Steelers played the Bengals, our much vaunted front four (Atkins, Dunlap, etc) couldn't and didn't do shit.

One could argue that the cohesion of the Steelers o-line is a primary factor in their resurgence.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 PM

I've been telling my fellow Chiefs fans that, given the choice, I'd way rather meet the Pats in the playoffs than the Steelers. Panthers are a good team but they are getting totally dominated tonight.

Last edited by Railer13; 11-08-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Friend of Cecil

Well, that was nice. Very, very nice.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 AM

I was worried heading into that game, Newton always the potential to blow one open and Carolina's defense seemed to be playing well. Real nice to be pleasantly surprised. All facets seemed to be clicking (Boswell 7/7 on extra points!!).

Now we get a mini-bye week, and a rematch with the Jags. If the pass rush can look anything like it did against Carolina, I like the Steelers chances.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Nail meet head. The Steelers have arguably the best o-line in the NFL, and kinda all of a sudden. When the Steelers played the Bengals, our much vaunted front four (Atkins, Dunlap, etc) couldn't and didn't do shit.

One could argue that the cohesion of the Steelers o-line is a primary factor in their resurgence.
Agreed. A good O-line along with Ben's uncanny feel for the pocket (i.e. knowing whether to stand still, step up, take off... etc.) has the potential to be a deadly combo. Not to mention what it does for Connor.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 PM

It's a pretty pronounced resurgence too, on both sides of the ball. The talking heads were all throwing shade at the Steelers earlier in the season, proclaiming that the absence of Bell was the "big problem".

Nobody is saying any of that shit now.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
Now we get a mini-bye week, and a rematch with the Jags. If the pass rush can look anything like it did against Carolina, I like the Steelers chances.
The Jaguars arenít looking very good lately either so that should be a good day for the Steelers.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:16 PM

The division is now Pittsburgh’s to win or lose with the Bungles losing 45-7(!) to the Saints with a quarter left. I mean, wow. That’s utterly demoralizing.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:04 PM

51-14 final score, just for completeness.

But yeah one heck of a beat-down.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Tomorrow is Le'Veon day! My money is on: he won't report, and therefore sit out 2018.

His end game is guaranteed money. He wasn't willing to risk injury for $14M, so why risk it for $6M? Sure would be nice to have him on the roster, for depth if for nothing else, but I just don't see it happening. Will be interesting to see what team signs him next year, and if he can return to his previous form after a year out of football.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Friend of Cecil

Quote:
Or not. Bye bye Bell.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Now that the big controversy is over it’s back to business. After last year's bed wetting not once but twice against the Jagwaggers, they are going to punish them.

Pittsburgh by two touchdowns. At least.

Last edited by Airman Doors, USAF; 11-18-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Friend of Cecil

One of these teams obviously watched a lot of game film. The other maybe not so much. Maybe the Stillers will take a few minutes for this at half-time.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:49 PM

Huh. I might have been wrong. This is a very different Jacksonville team from what they’ve been for the last 6 games.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Friend of Cecil

The Steelers also not quite what they were last week.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Friend of Cecil

Gutsy call to decide to play only one quarter. Last week’s “ let’s play all four quarters” was more fun, I gotta say. But thank you Football-gods for a ( not a reflection of the game) win.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:35 PM

How in the actual fuck did they win that game? They were dead in the water for 51 minutes and then that happened.

Watching this team is exhausting and hazardous to my health.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:38 PM

What a comeback. Everyone was shaky at times, but they pulled it off.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:41 PM

I wish I could erase the first half of that game from my memory. Can't believe they found a way to win that one.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I wish I could erase the first half of that game from my memory. Can't believe they found a way to win that one.
I continue to believe that Ben Roethlisberger is an amazing athlete. He is not as fundamentally sound as Tom Brady, but if my team needs to drive the length of the field with 1:22 remaining and no timeouts, I want Ben instead of Brady.

It is amazing that he continues to play with confidence after 3 INTs (and it should have been 4). And he played through Conner's two nearly fatal dropped balls. The first drop caused a turnover on downs and the second could have be demoralising but was not.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Ben is a ball-flinging chunk of meat that somehow wins a lot of football games.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Choose any one (1) regular season loss that can be blamed on refs and strike it from the record. (Hey, it goes both ways.)

Oh, and the Jags' offense sucks.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Ben is a ball-flinging chunk of meat that somehow wins a lot of football games.
Yep. No skill that somehow influences the outcome of the games he somehow miraculously wins.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yep. No skill that somehow influences the outcome of the games he somehow miraculously wins.
Iím not a Steelers fan but sometimes Iím in awe of his performance on the field. It shouldnít work but does.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Iím not a Steelers fan but sometimes Iím in awe of his performance on the field. It shouldnít work but does.
I think Ben's best attribute (over his career) is that he moves so well in the pocket. Maybe I'm biased, but I think he might be the best ever at his ability to sense the pressure around him and simply step to where he is safe without panicking.

But that first half against the Jags, brutal. Hard to imagine a worse performance, which I suppose makes the 4th quarter all the more remarkable.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 PM

Broncos....
Old 11-25-2018, 09:49 PM

What a soul-crushing loss that was. And worse is that to win the division they need to win 3 of the next 5, which means they have to beat the Raiders, Bengals, and one of the following 3 teams:

Chargers
Saints
Patriots

They needed this win. Counting on the Rats to help out isn’t a good strategy, though they may oblige. Brutal loss today. Brutal.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Friend of Cecil

Steelers probably will make playoffs. But it’s hard to see them do anything but one-and-done. It is amazing how variable they are, not just between but within games.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 PM

What a terrible loss. And that ending was absurd.

That said, the refs missed a blatant false start on the first touchdown and a blatant block in the back on the punt return touchdown, so there’s 12 points right there. It’s tough to beat that when you’re already playing a tough playoff-caliber team.

But Pittsburgh gets all the calls, right? Bah.

Anyway, they now have to hope the Rats lose a few or they have to beat the Bengals and Raiders in addition to either the Saints or the Patriots. Two weeks they should have won and didn’t.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 PM

Itís not a false start if the Chargers throw a long touchdown. Ask SenorBeef.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:46 PM

How hard is it to just watch the ball and not jump offsides??
Old 12-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Blown calls are part of the game, and they're even less a part of the game than they used to be. Once a team starts blaming losing on the officiating, they're making excuses for poor performance, which is what the Steelers are doing now. They were out-coached and out-played in the second half. In the Tomlin era, the Steelers have had stretches in which they've played exceptionally well, only to be followed by games in which they inexplicably show up unprepared to play against mediocre or even poor teams. Or as in last night's case, they play a great first half of football, followed by a bad second half. I think that as long as Tomlin is coach, the Steelers will be good, they will be competitive, but they'll never quite be as good as they could be.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:59 AM

officiating aside, when a team gives up (in the second half): 250+ yards, 26 points, and 2 2-PT conversions, and only score 7 points and gain 103 yards, they are not going to win many games
Old 12-03-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Anyway, they now have to hope the Rats lose a few or they have to beat the Bengals and Raiders in addition to either the Saints or the Patriots. Two weeks they should have won and didnít.
I think both of these things are easily met expectations. The Ravens aren't all that good, and the Bengals fucking suck.