Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Looking forward to the game tonight. KC's big games this year (Pats, Rams) have been entertaining, so hopefully we get something like that. I'm hoping that the Chargers can at least make a competitive showing.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 PM

That was awesome.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:48 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha

I think all the bad calls kind of evened out, but who the hell knows. Is this what it’s like to cheer for normal NFL teams? It’s fun! I don’t even care that I left Mike Williams on my bench in fantasy.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 AM

Wow, epic collapse by the Chiefs.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 AM

I loved the fact that the Chargers were behind for the first 59 minutes and 56 seconds of the game. They only managed to hold the lead for 4 seconds of the game.

When it’s the last 4 seconds though, the rest of the game doesn’t matter.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Similar to the win against the Steelers, they were down two touchdowns in the second half and found a way to win. Charges seem to have a bit of the magic this year.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:17 PM

How bizarre would it be to see a LA v. LA SB just a couple years after they got teams back after not having one for decades.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
How bizarre would it be to see a LA v. LA SB just a couple years after they got teams back after not having one for decades.
Too bad the Super Bowl isn't in LA this year. They'd even be able to fill the seats and everything!
Old 12-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Martavis Bryant indefinitely suspended. Color me shocked. Next, I’ll find out Pope Francis is Catholic.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nitely-by-nfl/
Old 12-14-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Too bad the Super Bowl isn't in LA this year. They'd even be able to fill the seats and everything!
I think they need a real stadium in LA first.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I think they need a real stadium in LA first.
Based on the NFL definition of “stadium”. We had a pretty good one here – ugly as sin but impressive nonetheless – but it was not fancy enough in high-end boxes, so it had to be blown up and replaced with a thing that looks disturbingly like an enormous vulva, yearning toward the city of phallic skyscrapers.

My lack of fondness for the League is doing the opposite of receding.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:38 AM

NFL rookie of the week:

Week 1: Denzel Ward
Week 3: Baker Mayfield
Week 4: Nick Chubb
Week 5: Denzel Ward
Week 7: Baker Mayfield
Week 9: Baker Mayfield
Week 10: Nick Chubb
Week 12: Baker Mayfield
Week 14: Baker Mayfield

3 Browns have won rookie of the week more than the rest of the NFL combined. That's pretty remarkable.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I loved the fact that the Chargers were behind for the first 59 minutes and 56 seconds of the game. They only managed to hold the lead for 4 seconds of the game.

Pft, who needs four seconds of the lead? Green Bay won a game while never having the lead for the entire 60 minutes of the game.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
NFL rookie of the week:

Week 1: Denzel Ward
Week 3: Baker Mayfield
Week 4: Nick Chubb
Week 5: Denzel Ward
Week 7: Baker Mayfield
Week 9: Baker Mayfield
Week 10: Nick Chubb
Week 12: Baker Mayfield
Week 14: Baker Mayfield

3 Browns have won rookie of the week more than the rest of the NFL combined. That's pretty remarkable.
It is an excellent change of pace for the Browns, but to be fair, they did have 4 of the first 35 picks, and 2 of the top four.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:59 PM

4 AFC teams are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and Cleveland is not one of them. They would have to win in Mile High this evening (not unimaginable) and then defeat the Bungles and the Ravens in the next two weeks, and probably have other games break favorably for them, so there is a tall hill between them and the post season. But it sure is an improved situation compared to last season.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
4 AFC teams are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and Cleveland is not one of them. They would have to win in Mile High this evening (not unimaginable) and then defeat the Bungles and the Ravens in the next two weeks, and probably have other games break favorably for them, so there is a tall hill between them and the post season. But it sure is an improved situation compared to last season.
Just having one tie is an improvement...
Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, if they win their last 3 games and finish 8-7-1, they would still need a bunch of teams to each lose two games in the last 3 weeks. Probably won't happen.

But think back to Week 4, when they lost to the Raiders 45-42 in OT. They got absolutely hosed on two critical calls, either of which win the game for them in regulation. And 9-6-1 has a very real chance to win the second wild card in the AFC, or maybe even win the AFC North.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Both sides got hosed by the refs in the last seconds. Ref should have called unnecessary roughness on the helmet-to-helmet hit on Rivers, and that Chiefs DB didn't commit pass interference at all.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Yeah, if they win their last 3 games and finish 8-7-1, they would still need a bunch of teams to each lose two games in the last 3 weeks. Probably won't happen.
I think there really is no “probably”. They did manage a win streak of 2 a few weeks back, against faders Atlanta and Cincinnati. Three in a row does not even reach improbable.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Both sides got hosed by the refs in the last seconds. Ref should have called unnecessary roughness on the helmet-to-helmet hit on Rivers, and that Chiefs DB didn't commit pass interference at all.
Completely. That whole game was a mess of officiating. It seemed to favor the Chiefs mostly but the key bad calls at the end favored the Chargers. In particular they kept calling phantom DPI calls.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 PM

I am so torn. On one hand, I am more than happy to see Gregg Williams fail miserably, on the other, I kinda root for the Browns and I have a financial interest in their winning. So I'm glad to see William's decision to go for it on 4th and 1 fail miserably. But I hope they still win.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:29 PM

That's usually the sort of single moment of WTF that ends up resulting in some sort of named and remembered loss for the Browns. So it's nice to see that not happen.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:51 PM

I just watched Tannehil get sacked by a defender grabbing his facemask from behind, pulling his head sideways, and yanking him to the ground. Very blatant. No flag, considered a clean sack and led to a forced punt.

Is it just me or are the referees worse this year than in previous years?
Old 12-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Looks like there was a second sack in that game where a defender got a piece of Tannehill's facemask, that did not get called, but Tannehill was already wrapped up. Still, there were at least 7 clean sacks on him. Miami better work on their line in the off-season – or maybe think about getting a mobile QB.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Oh, the 49ers beating the Seachickens to prevent them clinching a Wildcard spot was glorious. Fun game to watch even if the out the other way around, too.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Well, Denver's effectively out of it. Some fans are baying for blood. Personally, I can't get myself to care all that much--it's just a game, after all.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Oh, the 49ers beating the Seachickens to prevent them clinching a Wildcard spot was glorious. Fun game to watch even if the out the other way around, too.
Second gritty win in a row for SF
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Well, Denver's effectively out of it. Some fans are baying for blood. Personally, I can't get myself to care all that much--it's just a game, after all.
I'd be very surprised if Vance Joseph makes it past the first week of the end of the regular season. Denver's not a Super Bowl caliber team but they're definitely better than this. Just bone-headed coaching, too.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'd be very surprised if Vance Joseph makes it past the first week of the end of the regular season. Denver's not a Super Bowl caliber team but they're definitely better than this. Just bone-headed coaching, too.
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired. But Elway's also been a poor GM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't know who at NBC Sports thought that a Fresh Prince parody would be a good idea, but please, never ever ever do that again.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:03 PM

My Colts started out 1-5, and now they're 8-6 and have a really good chance, I think, of making the playoffs. Of our last two regular-season opponents, the Giants are already eliminated from playoff contention, and the Titans are right there with us.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
I worried it’d be a trap game and it was. Oh well, the Hawks are doing well enough they can afford it.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
My Colts started out 1-5, and now they're 8-6 and have a really good chance, I think, of making the playoffs. Of our last two regular-season opponents, the Giants are already eliminated from playoff contention, and the Titans are right there with us.
Colts are a quality team. Indy's defense is legit - so much so that Andrew Luck doesn't feel like he has to win the game with his arm, which is what he's needed his entire career.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Well, Denver's effectively out of it.
According to what I see, Denver is not effectively out of it, they are literally out of it. Apparently they have no path to the playoffs. Only the Colts, Titans, Dolphins or Browns have a shot at the Ravens WC slot – if the Browns beat the Bengals and the Ravens lose to the Chargers (both within the realm of possibility) it could come down to the game they play in Week 17 in Baltimore.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 PM

This will not be the year of the Patriots. In fact, this year just might be the long-anticipated beginning of the end of the dynasty.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
This will not be the year of the Patriots. In fact, this year just might be the long-anticipated beginning of the end of the dynasty.
Are we absolutely sure the Patriots haven't become a pro-wrestling franchise? Each week the storyline seems a bit more obviously scripted, and the big plays and controversial ref calls at key moments are just a little bit more obviously faked.

This week was just ridiculous. Gronk heroics AND a big blown defensive play AND a reversed touchdown on replay AND a last minute interception on an unnecessary touchdown pass.

I don't think it's the year of the Patriots, but not the end of the dynasty either. Just proof in action that a football team needs to be able to do more than run, pass and catch the ball.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
According to what I see, Denver is not effectively out of it, they are literally out of it. Apparently they have no path to the playoffs
You see correctly. The best Denver can do is 8-8; whichever of the Chiefs or Chargers doesn't win the AFC West, and the winner of the Colts-Titans game in week 17 (or both of them, if it ends in a tie) are guaranteed to have a better record for the wild card spots.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:03 AM

Eagles baby !!!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:53 PM

OK, here's a question completely unrelated to any team or the playoffs or the officiating. Apologies if it's been previously discussed.

Why can't both networks (CBS and FOX) each show two games on Sunday afternoon? Yesterday there were two good games in the late timeslot, but we were only shown one (Pats/Steelers). Is there something contractual that prevents both networks from each showing two games?
Old 12-17-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
OK, here's a question completely unrelated to any team or the playoffs or the officiating. Apologies if it's been previously discussed.

Why can't both networks (CBS and FOX) each show two games on Sunday afternoon? Yesterday there were two good games in the late timeslot, but we were only shown one (Pats/Steelers). Is there something contractual that prevents both networks from each showing two games?
Yep, only one network can have a doubleheader on a Sunday, except for week 17. They each get eight from Weeks 1-16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...d_single_games
Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why can't both networks (CBS and FOX) each show two games on Sunday afternoon?
Because nobody would watch the Buccaneers.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:

CBS gets AFC vs. AFC games, FOX gets NFC vs. NFC games. So FOX couldn't cover the Pats-Steelers game.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Yep, only one network can have a doubleheader on a Sunday, except for week 17. They each get eight from Weeks 1-16.

So I guess that leads to my next question: why is that written into the broadcasting contracts? Obviously, every game in the NFL is broadcast somewhere, even the Tampa Bay games, so it wouldn't take much effort to have two national games on both networks each Sunday. Is it to guarantee one network a 'captive' audience for one game every other week?
Old 12-17-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
CBS gets AFC vs. AFC games, FOX gets NFC vs. NFC games. So FOX couldn't cover the Pats-Steelers game.
Right. CBS showed the Pat/Steelers game nationwide, while FOX was airing the Seahawks/Niners game to those regional markets. But if not for the contracts, FOX could have shown that game to a national audience.

Last edited by Railer13; 12-17-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:

This, exactly (and it's been the way that the NFL has run the schedule with its primary network partners, with fairly minimal tweaks, for decades).

If there's a "late" (i.e., 4pm-ish ET start) game that's not a doubleheader game (i.e., it's on Fox on a week when CBS has the doubleheader), it's almost always because it's a game being hosted by a West Coast team, and is essentially a 1pm start locally. Those games are typically seen primarily in the home market areas for the participating teams, as an exception to the doubleheader rules.

Here are the maps for which markets carried which games yesterday. You can see that the other "late" game (Seattle at San Francisco) was only shown in the Northwest, and in a few other markets which opted to show that Fox game, rather than one of the early games (in most cases because their home team was playing an early game on CBS, and they generally don't run a game simultaneous to a home game on a different channel).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-17-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Is it to guarantee one network a 'captive' audience for one game every other week?
Basically yes. I'm sure the networks figured out it's better to have a game with a full audience on half the weeks rather than a game with a half audience every week. Also, the times where they don't have a doubleheader, they're usually airing a different sport.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Basically yes. I'm sure the networks figured out it's better to have a game with a full audience on half the weeks rather than a game with a half audience every week. Also, the times where they don't have a doubleheader, they're usually airing a different sport.
That's what I would have guessed, but thanks for the confirmation.

But here's the thing: Next week, CBS has one national game, while FOX has two. Let's assume that CBS will show the Steelers/Saints late game to most of the nation. But there are five early games on CBS. If you live in one of those 10 markets, you won't see what might be the best game of the day.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
That's what I would have guessed, but thanks for the confirmation.

But here's the thing: Next week, CBS has one national game, while FOX has two. Let's assume that CBS will show the Steelers/Saints late game to most of the nation. But there are five early games on CBS. If you live in one of those 10 markets, you won't see what might be the best game of the day.
CBS has the doubleheader next week. Everyone in the early game markets will see the late game no problem. The only people who won't are the people have have the late game on Fox, at home (Arizona and San Francisco). The Fox Games are not national.

Last edited by enalzi; 12-17-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
CBS has the doubleheader next week. Everyone in the early game markets will see the late game no problem. The only people who won't are the people have have the late game on Fox, at home (Arizona and San Francisco). The Fox Games are not national.
But didn't CBS have the doubleheader yesterday? We only saw one FOX game yesterday, while we saw two games on CBS.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
But didn't CBS have the doubleheader yesterday? We only saw one FOX game yesterday, while we saw two games on CBS.
They each get half, but it doesn't necessarily alternate.