Old 12-17-2018, 04:59 PM

You can follow along the schedule here. Green means the doubleheader:
http://506sports.com/nfl/
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
They each get half, but it doesn't necessarily alternate.
Ah, yes, thanks for the clarification. In looking at the link provided by kenobi 65, it shows that CBS does indeed have two games next week.

Interesting. I wonder how and when they decide who the Sunday TV schedule.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
They each get half, but it doesn't necessarily alternate.
This appears to be the case, yes. This is the page from 506 Sports which has the details for which markets will be getting which games next Sunday. The maps haven't been completed yet, as it looks like individual affiliates have until Wednesday to finalize which game they wish to carry.

But, yes, it indicates that the doubleheader (national late) game will be on CBS again (Pittsburgh at New Orleans), and that Fox has two games in the late slot, as well (LA Rams at Arizona, Chicago at San Francisco).
Old 12-17-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
CBS gets AFC vs. AFC games, FOX gets NFC vs. NFC games.
It appears that CBS usually gets AFC @ NFC games and Fox gets NFC @ AFC games
Old 12-17-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Yes, I believe it's been that way for some time. The 'visiting' network televises the game.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yep. FOX carried the Cowboys @ Colts game yesterday
Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
In fact, it wasn't just "usually," it was "always," until a couple of years ago. The league now does occasionally award a game to the network that wouldn't normally carry it, in the interest of balancing out good / interesting games between the two networks.

For example, a few years ago, CBS carried a Bears / Vikings game, which would have normally been on Fox.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-17-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:00 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the networks use this regularity to their advantage. Certain broadcast teams tend to follow certain NFL teams around to their games. So there might be one team quite familiar with the Bills, one team quite familiar with the Raiders (God help them), etc. Then there will be a major broadcast team that tends to be assigned to the biggest game on the network that week. As a result, I always find it interesting when a team gets covered by the off network (an AFC team by Fox, or an NFC team by CBS), because that broadcast team will not be as familiar with the tendencies of the team.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the networks use this regularity to their advantage. Certain broadcast teams tend to follow certain NFL teams around to their games. So there might be one team quite familiar with the Bills, one team quite familiar with the Raiders (God help them), etc. Then there will be a major broadcast team that tends to be assigned to the biggest game on the network that week. As a result, I always find it interesting when a team gets covered by the off network (an AFC team by Fox, or an NFC team by CBS), because that broadcast team will not be as familiar with the tendencies of the team.
Or even their names.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Okay, when's the last time you saw an interception on a 2-pt conversion attempt taken all the way back for a defensive score?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 PM

Last season. I think it happened to the Saints.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:28 PM

That Saints/Panthers game is one of the worst played games of football I've ever seen in my life. A roughing the kicker penalty wiping out a big stop, a fumble at the end of a huge run, an interception in the red zone, an interception on a 2-point conversion returned for a score, a fumble through the end zone for a touchback, and that terrible 2-minute drill at the end of the game.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:35 PM

Is it just me, or does Cam Newton these days look like he doesn't even know HOW to throw a football properly? He's never been exactly great on throwing mechanics, but now, each throw looks like a pained attempt to heave a rock at a Scottish games...

Gotta love the concept of a pick-2, btw.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 PM

He's pretty hurt. They should've started sitting him a few weeks ago, he needs a lot of recovery for his arm.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:40 PM

That's about the ugliest win I've ever seen for the Saints. They need one more win to wrap up the #1 seed and homefield advantage.

When the Saints won the Super Bowl in '09 they lost their last 3 games, looking tired and awkward king of like they have the last few weeks... but they came back after their 1st round bye and were dominant in the playoffs. I feel pretty good they can find that mojo again.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
He's pretty hurt. They should've started sitting him a few weeks ago, he needs a lot of recovery for his arm.
Yes, Cam has been trying to get by with a serious shoulder injury for some time now. It has really limited him as a passer. He was hurt in the loss to the Steelers and theyíve had a 6 game losing streak since then. That canít be a coincidence.

Itís telling when the biggest impact toss of the game for the Panthers came from their star running back.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
That's about the ugliest win I've ever seen for the Saints. They need one more win to wrap up the #1 seed and homefield advantage.

When the Saints won the Super Bowl in '09 they lost their last 3 games, looking tired and awkward king of like they have the last few weeks... but they came back after their 1st round bye and were dominant in the playoffs. I feel pretty good they can find that mojo again.
Champion teams win ugly. It shows grit that you can hang in there when things arenít going well and still pull it off.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Okay, when's the last time you saw an interception on a 2-pt conversion attempt taken all the way back for a defensive score?
Eric Berry of the Chiefs did it in 2016.

And it was a game-changer. The Falcons had just scored to take a 1-point lead with 4 1/2 minutes to play and were going for two to make it a 3-point game. Berry returned it for 2 points for KC, which gave the lead back to the Chiefs. KC then ran out the clock with a first down or two and won the game.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Eric Berry of the Chiefs did it in 2016.

And it was a game-changer. The Falcons had just scored to take a 1-point lead with 4 1/2 minutes to play and were going for two to make it a 3-point game. Berry returned it for 2 points for KC, which gave the lead back to the Chiefs. KC then ran out the clock with a first down or two and won the game.
I remember that play too, it blew peopleís minds at the time. Talk about a clutch play. One of the biggest moments that season. I think that put Eric Berryís name in my mind as someone I would never forget. If the Chiefs had more players like him on their defense theyíd be unstoppable.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
#Patriots WR Josh Gordon is facing another indefinite suspension for violating terms of his reinstatement under the substance abuse policy, per source. He announced today he’s stepping away to address his mental health.
For fucks sake.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Don't tell us you're surprised.

Looks like one-and-done in the playoffs for the Pats. The whole team has seemed to get old all at once.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:16 AM

Gronk is probably retiring after this season, right? And who knows, there are some people saying this is the end of Brady/Belichick one way or another.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Gronk may be back but he's always banged up and nobody would blame him. There is also semi-informed speculation that Brady's been playing with a torn left MCL since the Tennessee game, and that makes his passes sail, especially when he's pressured and can't evade the rushers anymore.

None of that explains Edelman's drops or the D not being able to stop the run, though.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
For fucks sake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Don't tell us you're surprised.

Looks like one-and-done in the playoffs for the Pats. The whole team has seemed to get old all at once.
I really do wonder if this is all about weed with Gordon. Right? I mean, pot really isn't THAT hard to resist as it isn't physically addictive, so if the NFL's continuous suspensions of Gordon are only about weed, then that's just crazy in the era that we live in with legalization sweeping the country, professional sports leagues like the NBA that don't even bother testing for it, etc.

I think he's got worse demons than marijuana use.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I think he's got worse demons than marijuana use.
I agree. There has got to be something more going on there than just weed. I was just talking about this with someone this morning, and one guy said pretty much the same thing.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

So what the Hell happened to the Washington Redskins today?? They were winning against the Titans, I had to take a phone call and I look up and the stupid Titans have come back and won!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
So what the Hell happened to the Washington Redskins today?? They were winning against the Titans, I had to take a phone call and I look up and the stupid Titans have come back and won!
Down by only three points they throw a pick-six at the end of the game.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:27 AM

Patriots are only one season away from tying the Cowboys' all-time NFL record of 20 consecutive winning seasons.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Are the Ravens now the Team To Beat in the AFC? Their defense dominated the game last night against the Chargers, who were the Team To Beat after they defeated the Chiefs.

The Ravens may not even win their division, but I don't think that anybody wants to see them in the playoffs, even in a home game.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Nobody wants to see the Ravens, but nobody wants to see anybody in the AFC playoffs. Itís about as wide open as I can remember. Chargers lost to KC and Baltimore, KC lost to the Chargers and Pats, Pats lost to the Steelers, Steelers lost to the Chargers, etc etc. Most of those games were close too, and couldíve gone the other way with only a play or two changing.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
Nobody wants to see the Ravens, but nobody wants to see anybody in the AFC playoffs. Itís about as wide open as I can remember. Chargers lost to KC and Baltimore, KC lost to the Chargers and Pats, Pats lost to the Steelers, Steelers lost to the Chargers, etc etc. Most of those games were close too, and couldíve gone the other way with only a play or two changing.
Yes, excellent point. Nobody can claim dominance over the field.

And should the Chiefs win one of two and thus claim the #1 seed, just remember that KC hasn't won a home playoff game since 1994.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:25 PM

Oh man, Packers up by 1, decide to go for a 2 point. Jets intercept and return for .. uh... 2 point touchdown. Called back by penalty. Damn.

Would've not only have two of the three times that ever happened in back to back weeks, but it would've been a lead change with 1 minute left which would've been crazy.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:18 PM

Wow the Saints barely won an incredibly hard fought game. And now have the #1 seed in the NFC. What a stressful game, but now the Saints can rest their starters until the divisional round.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:53 PM

Mayfield hates the shit out of Hue Jackson. He gave him a staredown in the middle of crushing his team.

Given we know what a slimeball Hue is, I suspect that Mayfield is probably entirely justified in whatever hard feelings there are.

Also, Mayfield has a huge dick.

If Hue really does become the Bengals HC, Mayfield is going to enjoy owning the shit out of him for as long as he can manage to stay HC.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Mayfield hates the shit out of Hue Jackson. He gave him a staredown in the middle of crushing his team.

Given we know what a slimeball Hue is, I suspect that Mayfield is probably entirely justified in whatever hard feelings there are.

Also, Mayfield has a huge dick.

If Hue really does become the Bengals HC, Mayfield is going to enjoy owning the shit out of him for as long as he can manage to stay HC.
This is how really good rivalries are born.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:25 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I don't want Seabass to be really hurt, but I kinda want him to be out for the rest of the night just so I can watch the punter dropkick the rest of the game.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:06 PM

Is it wrong of me to root for the Eagles to win it all again, just so I can argue that Nick Foles deserves to be in the HoF as much as Eli Manning does?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Is it wrong of me to root for the Eagles to win it all again, just so I can argue that Nick Foles deserves to be in the HoF as much as Eli Manning does?
I don't know about *wrong*. I can certainly find in my heart to, not only forgive, but appreciate the sentiment.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I think Foles has a better shot of making it already.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:45 PM

God, this is setting up for both the Chargers and Chiefs to blow it next week, and the Pats to get the 1 seed, isnít it.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:52 PM

It just occurred to me that the Ravens might need to beat the Browns to make it to the postseason and this year that’s not something you can take for granted.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Eli has played in other seasons, you know; he's top 10 all-time in passing yards and passing touchdowns, plus (of course) the #2 all-time consecutive starting streak for a QB, behind only Brett Favre.

But sure, yeah, Foles winning a second ring would totally make his career equal to Eli's.

Side note: Half of the top 10 all-time passing yards leaders were drafted either in 1983 or 2004:

Code:
1	Drew Brees	74,111
2	Peyton Manning	71,940
3	Brett Favre	71,838
4	Tom Brady	70,138
5	Dan Marino	61,361
6	Big Ben		55,527
7	Eli Manning	55,371
8	Philip Rivers	54,480
9	John Elway	51,475
10	Warren Moon	49,325

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 12-24-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Eli has played in other seasons, you know; he's top 10 all-time in passing yards and passing touchdowns, plus (of course) the #2 all-time consecutive starting streak for a QB, behind only Brett Favre.

But sure, yeah, Foles winning a second ring would totally make his career equal to Eli's.

Side note: Half of the top 10 all-time passing yards leaders were drafted either in 1983 or 2004:

Code:
1	Drew Brees	74,111
2	Peyton Manning	71,940
3	Brett Favre	71,838
4	Tom Brady	70,138
5	Dan Marino	61,361
6	Big Ben		55,527
7	Eli Manning	55,371
8	Philip Rivers	54,480
9	John Elway	51,475
10	Warren Moon	49,325
Dude, piling up garbage stats is for losers. Just ask his brother!
Old 12-24-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post

Code:
1	Drew Brees	74,111
2	Peyton Manning	71,940
3	Brett Favre	71,838
4	Tom Brady	70,138
5	Dan Marino	61,361
6	Big Ben		55,527
7	Eli Manning	55,371
8	Philip Rivers	54,480
9	John Elway	51,475
10	Warren Moon	49,325
Longevity stats mean much less than you'd think, especially in the current NFL. Of the top 10, 7 have played in the last decade, when quarterbacks are bubble-wrapped, safeties aren't allowed to behead receivers over the middle, and offenses are finding newer and better ways to make defensive coordinators break their clipboards. Just because Eli's played since I was a wee lad doesn't mean he's an exceptional talent at anything except staying upright (and better than the jokes NY has brought in as backups). He's not bad, by any means, but he sure as hell ain't getting into the Hall of Fame. There's a reason they don't call it the Hall of Very Good.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:45 AM

After Seahawks placekicker Sebastian Janikowski suffered a leg injury, punter Michael Dickson was tasked with the kickoff duties - which he discharged by means of drop kicks.

Doug Flutie scored 3 points with one in 2005, but when was the last time this was seen on a kickoff in the NFL?
Old 12-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
Doug Flutie scored 3 points with one in 2005, but when was the last time this was seen on a kickoff in the NFL?
IIRC, Flutie kicked an extra point not a FG.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Longevity stats mean much less than you'd think, especially in the current NFL. Of the top 10, 7 have played in the last decade, when quarterbacks are bubble-wrapped, safeties aren't allowed to behead receivers over the middle, and offenses are finding newer and better ways to make defensive coordinators break their clipboards. Just because Eli's played since I was a wee lad doesn't mean he's an exceptional talent at anything except staying upright (and better than the jokes NY has brought in as backups). He's not bad, by any means, but he sure as hell ain't getting into the Hall of Fame. There's a reason they don't call it the Hall of Very Good.
Well said.

Although I would have gone with "Hall of Very Good for a short period of time and Hall of Average for a majority of his career"
Old 12-24-2018, 09:50 AM

I don't disagree with this assessment of Eli's career, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets into the Hall.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Eli’s problem, aside from being mediocre (maybe slightly above?) overall, is that he peaked pretty early. Two rings then years of poor play that has been getting worse. People voting for the HoF are going to have that as their main impression of him, whether or not you think that’s fair, and it’s really going to hurt his chances.

Compare that with Foles who is the opposite; his career wasn’t great then he ate a Power Pellet and dismantled the Patriots in the SB, then seems to be doing everything to bring his team back into the postseason despite having a Super Bowl Hangover. That’s going to be the player people remember.

I don’t think either really deserves to get in given their overall body of work, but I’d give the edge to Foles.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
After Seahawks placekicker Sebastian Janikowski suffered a leg injury, punter Michael Dickson was tasked with the kickoff duties - which he discharged by means of drop kicks.

As Telemark noted, Flutie's dropkick (in the final game of his career) was an extra point, not a field goal.

Dickson had been called on to use dropkicks on two kickoffs (including an onside kick) earlier this season, in Seattle's game against the Bears.

In yesterday's game, Dickson's first dropkick kickoff looked really good -- he got it down to the 2 yard line. His second one bounced out of bounds (a very bad result for the kicking team), and I wonder if, at that point, the Seahawks decided that Janikowski wasn't *that* hurt after all.