Old 12-24-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
It just occurred to me that the Ravens might need to beat the Browns to make it to the postseason and this year thatís not something you can take for granted.
You are correct. If the Ravens win, they win the division. If the Ravens lose to the Browns and the Steelers lose to the Bengals, the Ravens win the division. But if the Ravens lose and the Steelers win, the Steelers win the division and the Ravens are out of the playoffs.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:11 AM

So an unrelated question (but no other thread for it): Why is it that seemingly no team (or their fanbase) regrets passing on Tom Brady in the 2000 draft? There are Cowboys fans still angry that Dallas passed on Randy Moss in 1998, or Chargers fans mad that their team took Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning, but seemingly no non-Patriots fanbase gets upset that their team passed on Tom Brady multiple times in 2000, even though Brady is the GOAT.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
So an unrelated question (but no other thread for it): Why is it that seemingly no team (or their fanbase) regrets passing on Tom Brady in the 2000 draft? There are Cowboys fans still angry that Dallas passed on Randy Moss in 1998, or Chargers fans mad that their team took Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning, but seemingly no non-Patriots fanbase gets upset that their team passed on Tom Brady multiple times in 2000, even though Brady is the GOAT.
I have no doubt that fans of teams that have struggled with finding a good QB over the past 20 years wish that they'd drafted Brady. The difference, of course, is that every team passed on Brady repeatedly in 2000, whereas in the cases of Manning (versus Leaf) or Moss (versus whoever the Cowboys took in 1998), there's a particular player that you can point to who was drafted, and who turned out to be a bust. In the case of Brady, every team drafted multiple players before Brady finally was selected, and there's not that same sort of buyer's remorse.

Packer fans had the same sort of regret from the 1989 draft. Here are the top five picks in that draft:
#1 - Dallas - Troy Aikman
#2 - Green Bay - Tony Mandarich
#3 - Detroit - Barry Sanders
#4 - Kansas City - Derrick Thomas
#5 - Atlanta - Deion Sanders

Four Hall of Famers in the top five picks, and the Packers were the odd one out.

Also, in the case of Leaf -- the Chargers never had a chance to take Peyton Manning. Going into the '98 draft, there was much debate over whether Manning or Leaf was the better prospect, but the Colts took Manning with the #1 overall pick, leaving Leaf for the Chargers at #2. So, while Chargers fans may well be annoyed by that, they can't blame their team for "passing" on Manning. And, FWIW, the Chargers then went out and drafted *two* high-quality quarterbacks in the years that followed, in Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-24-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:29 PM

Nobody thought Brady was going to be special. Not even the Patriots. They weren’t rubbing their hands in excitement because they knew they stole the future best QB of all time late in the draft. He didn’t even play until their starter got hurt during his second season as a Patriot. Clearly they didn’t draft him to take over the team.

He was really good in college but even there he was a backup for a good part of his career and had a tough battle to keep his spot as a starter. He was 20-5 as a starter for the Michigan Wolverines over two years and won two bowl games so he wasn’t bad, but he wasn’t someone you’d look at and say, “He could dominate in the NFL.”

You couldn’t really blame anyone for passing on him. You’d have to be psychic or a time traveler to know what he’d become someday. That’s why people don’t lament not drafting him, unlike others who got passed up despite evidence that they’d be great.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I'll echo what kenobi 65 and Atamasma have stated: A team's fans are pissed when Player X, who has shown great potential in college, is passed over in favor of Player Y, who has also shown potential in his college career. Then Player X has a HOF NFL career, while Player Y is a relative bust. For instance, in the 1983 draft, the Chiefs selected Todd Blackledge with the 7th pick, while the Dolphins gratefully chose Dan Marino with the 27th pick. You know the rest of this story, and Chiefs fans will never forgive their front office for this mistake.

And there are plenty of other examples of future NFL greats not picked until late rounds, but nobody is really upset because their team didn't draft these guys. For example, Deacon Jones was taken in the 14th round, and Johnny Unitas was taken in the 9th round. Bart Starr was the 200th guy drafted in the 1956 draft. Here is a good article with these examples and others.

Last edited by Railer13; 12-24-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I don’t really understand what the Washington Redskins are doing these days. They’ve just released DJ Swearinger for mouthing off. Why not just make him inactive for the last game? If he’s such a a cancer that Gruden wanted him gone, I’m sure they could have gotten something for him in the offseason.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/s...503447301.html

Last edited by dalej42; 12-24-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I donít really understand what the Washington Redskins are doing these days. Theyíve just released DJ Swearinger for mouthing off. Why not just make him inactive for the last game? If heís such a a cancer that Gruden wanted him gone, Iím sure they could have gotten something for him in the offseason.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/s...503447301.html
Sometimes you release players that are toxic to the team despite not getting anything for it. The Seahawks released Richard Sherman, one of the best (if not the best) cornerbacks in recent years, and got nothing for it except a bit of cap space. Sherman had lost a step (especially with a torn Achilles) but by far his biggest problem was his attitude. Losing his talent hurt but the team still seems stronger for it. It might work out better for the Redskins in the long run as well.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:35 PM

Not really 2018 regular season news, but former NFL player, broadcaster, and GM Matt Millen is recovering after undergoing a heart transplant.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:47 PM

I can't believe the Giants lost to the Colts after leading all game. It would have been perfect poetic justice if Eli had beaten every team in the league except the Chargers. But now it's every team in the league except the Chargers and Colts, which dilutes the karmic potency of that factoid.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:33 AM
BANNED

The officials have had a bad year. I was watching the excellent Saints vs. Steelers game and the men in black and white stripes gave New Orleans a touchdown on a non-call.

What can be done? I say have three separate replay officials not related to the team of officials on the field which cover their own rear ends. Let them decide if it was a penalty or not. 2-1 or 3-0 majority rules.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:26 AM

Oh for God's sake. I have an idea. Let's run a play. Then we'll wait about five minutes while every aspect of the play is scrutinized by the "replay" officials. They will check to see if any of the linemen held someone, if any of the defensive backs or linebackers held someone, if anyone managed to make contact with a head, if any of the numerous pass receivers downfield were interfered with. They will measure to be certain that the offensive team was not in an illegal formation (can't have those receivers covered up, or too few of them on the line!).

Or, you know, we could just go back to the days when we accepted that not everything got called.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:50 PM

I’m all for trying to get plays right, and we already automatically review scoring plays and reviews can be referred to New York officials for a second opinion. But I don’t like over analyzing every play by committee. The NFL doesn’t need more review time outs than it already has. I can only stand so many Bud Light in the Middle Ages commercials per game.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Iím all for trying to get plays right, and we already automatically review scoring plays and reviews can be referred to New York officials for a second opinion. But I donít like over analyzing every play by committee. The NFL doesnít need more review time outs than it already has. I can only stand so many Bud Light in the Middle Ages commercials per game.
That's just because you're the guy asking for Autumnal Mead.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m all for trying to get plays right, and we already automatically review scoring plays and reviews can be referred to New York officials for a second opinion. But I don’t like over analyzing every play by committee. The NFL doesn’t need more review time outs than it already has. I can only stand so many Bud Light in the Middle Ages commercials per game.

I just find it funny that Bud Light is using, ‘For the many, not the few’ as their slogan. That’s the slogan of the British Labour Party which has taken a hard left turn under their current leadership.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:56 PM

I have a hard time imagining a light beer based on a beer that is like have sex in a canoe (fucking close to water).
Old 12-26-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
That's just because you're the guy asking for Autumnal Mead.
I happen to actually be a big fan of mead...
Old 12-26-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Iím all for trying to get plays right, and we already automatically review scoring plays and reviews can be referred to New York officials for a second opinion. But I donít like over analyzing every play by committee.
I have felt for quite a while that replay is not a good addition to the game, at least in terms of officiating. It is ok having the zebras argue amongst themselves about the call, but I think officiating should be like the weather, one of those variables that just affects the outcome. I mean, yeah, we ought to have the best officials we can get, but then just let them do their job as best as they can, without this snatch-whisker examination. They will make faulty calls, just as receivers will drop passes that were right on the numbers. Just run the fucking game.

Oh, and players should be kicked off the field for trying to talk to officials, or at least earn -15 unsportsmanlike. Yelling at the zebras is the coach's job.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:16 PM

im just glad the raiders ruined the xmas of a relative by stomping the broncos Ö...

Last edited by nightshadea; 12-26-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
im just glad the raiders ruined the xmas of a relative by stomping the broncos Ö...
Yay, a 4-11 team beat a similarly bad 6-9 Broncos team.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:00 AM

I'm in a mood to troll some fans by wearing a customized Steelers 55# BURFICT jersey or #7 Bengals ROETHLISBERGER or #4 Giants PRESCOTT jersey.

....I'm guessing that on those customize-your-own-jersey website sales, there's no prevention of a fan mutating it that way?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I'm in a mood to troll some fans by wearing a customized Steelers 55# BURFICT jersey or #7 Bengals ROETHLISBERGER or #4 Giants PRESCOTT jersey.

....I'm guessing that on those customize-your-own-jersey website sales, there's no prevention of a fan mutating it that way?
Just tried making a "Rodgers 12" Bears jersey and got a "We are unable to customize this item with the text you have entered. Please try a different entry."
Old 12-28-2018, 11:13 AM

Hilarious. Would love to see the confused looks on drunk Steelers and Bengals fans at the game on Sunday watching someone sporting a Burfict Steelers jersey.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:55 AM

Sort of off-topic, but last night I commented to my wife that I’d love to have a Walsh jersey (as in Blair Walsh) with the name sewn on the back all the way to the left.

This idea was prompted by a Hauschka jersey that one of our waitresses was wearing last night.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:45 PM

So what's everyone watching for tomorrow?

The Browns have a chance to end the season on a 4 game win streak, winning 6 out of their last 7. They have to beat the Ravens at home. It also has pretty direct playoff implications - if the Steeler beat the Bengals, which seems likely, then whether the Browns win determines whether Pittsburgh or Baltimore goes to the playoffs.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
So what's everyone watching for tomorrow?

The Browns have a chance to end the season on a 4 game win streak, winning 6 out of their last 7. They have to beat the Ravens at home. It also has pretty direct playoff implications - if the Steeler beat the Bengals, which seems likely, then whether the Browns win determines whether Pittsburgh or Baltimore goes to the playoffs.
I am hoping the Bengals manage to pull one out and eliminate the Steelers like they did to the Ratbirds last season, but it's unlikely. Too injured, it's in Pittsburgh and the Squeels are playing for something.

I will be watching the Colts v Titans game with interest, also a game with direct AFC playoff implications for both teams: win and you're in, lose and go home.

I am rooting for the Colts because Luck is fun to watch, they're my sons' favorite team, and their recovery from being 1-5 to 9-6 right now is nothing short of remarkable.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:53 PM

Ravens can be as high as the 2 seed tomorrow or knocked out of the playoffs entirely. Crazy.

Holy shit it would be amazing to murder them and keep them out of the playoffs.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:23 AM

There's no way for both teams to be eliminated today is there? One or the other. Damn. Talk about tough choices!
Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 PM

There is an extremely unlikely scenario where neither the Colts or Titans get in. If the Steelers and Ravens both win today, a tie in tonight's game eliminates both teams and gives the Steelers the 6 seed. If either the Steelers or Ravens lose, the Colts still get in with a tie.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Ravens can be as high as the 2 seed tomorrow or knocked out of the playoffs entirely. Crazy.

Holy shit it would be amazing to murder them and keep them out of the playoffs.
Right now it looks highly unlikely that they could secure the bye. New England and Houston would both have to lose, which is not what is happening in either game.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:42 PM

What a boring set of early games.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:49 PM

Questions: Refs often don't flag for roughing the passer if the defender's momentum carried him into the quarterback right after the ball was released. So why should it be any different with roughing the kicker or punter if the defender only was intending to block the ball?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:08 PM

Well this Baltimore running QB nonsense is a lot more effective than I assumed it would be.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So why should it be any different with roughing the kicker or punter if the defender only was intending to block the ball?
Because the kicker/punter is in a particularly vulnerable position during the act of kicking the ball. It's a true safety issue. Otherwise you'd have defenses going after the ball every time with no thought to the safety of the kicker.

Defenders are always intending to block the ball. They have to do so in a way that doesn't endanger the kicker; or guarantee that they get to the ball.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Because the kicker/punter is in a particularly vulnerable position during the act of kicking the ball. It's a true safety issue. Otherwise you'd have defenses going after the ball every time with no thought to the safety of the kicker.

Defenders are always intending to block the ball. They have to do so in a way that doesn't endanger the kicker; or guarantee that they get to the ball.
This. If a defender comes into contact with the "plant leg" of the kicker or punter, they're nearly always going to draw a roughing penalty. Beyond the safety issue, if you're actually trying to block the kick, you shouldn't be coming anywhere near that plant leg.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Oh god. Lamar Jackson reaches out for the goal line with the ball, doesn't quite make it, a fumble is forced, defender grabs it and runs towards the end zone with no one chasing him.... play blown dead because they think it crossed the plane. That's a 14 point swing if they call it Ravens TD. And if they don't, the Browns get the ball on their own 1 instead of a TD.

Scores are already automatic reviews, let it play out before you blow that quick whistle.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 PM

Okay, so they did overturn it, and the Browns get it at the 1. A result which ultimately makes no damn sense because if it was a fumble, it was a clear return TD too.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:18 PM

Mayfield just tied the rookie TD number despite not starting the first 4 games of the season. He's rookie of the year, right?
Old 12-30-2018, 06:26 PM

Fake toss on the record tying TD. Cute.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:14 PM

Ravens defense has allowed 3 300-yard passers this year.

Two of them were Mayfield.

#GOAT
Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Baker sets the all time QB pass TD record in 12 starts (plus 1 partial game).

Last edited by SenorBeef; 12-30-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:30 PM

I don't know if my heart can take this Baltimore/Cleveland game. There's going to be plenty of controversy, already.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM

Can't wait for this game tonight between MAH COLTS and the Titans. If we made the playoffs after a 1-5 start, that would be really tremendous.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:41 PM

Well, shit, now I'm butthurt again about that TD the refs took away.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Can't wait for this game tonight between MAH COLTS and the Titans. If we made the playoffs after a 1-5 start, that would be really tremendous.
If the Colts and the Titans tie, who goes to the playoffs between them and the Steelers?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 PM

Steelers in that scenario.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Here is a video of the Chargers Pick 2: https://streamable.com/oaaea

Does the interceptor get the yards in his stats?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Steelers in that scenario.
Has it ever happened before that a team's playoff hopes were resting on a tie in another game?

And not only a tie, but both team's own playoff hopes require them to win that game.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 PM

The Bears' kicker missed another extra point today. Otherwise, excellent season Bears!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Here is a video of the Chargers Pick 2: https://streamable.com/oaaea

Does the interceptor get the yards in his stats?
I think that he gets an INT in his stats but not the yards since it's during a PAT try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The Bears' kicker missed another extra point today. Otherwise, excellent season Bears!
Parkey's been spotty at best but fortunately, he hasn't cost the Bears any games. There's speculation elsewhere online that Gould wants to come back. May just be wishful thinking but Gould still has his family in Chicago and never burned any bridges on the way out. Probably wishful thinking but I wouldn't mind seeing him come back.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:01 AM

WOOOO Go Colts!