Old Today, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
If you don't want some sort of bodily fluid in your food, tip accordingly. Trust me.

Ever tip shitty and then the waiter is super happy to make you a to-go drink or something anyway? There's some extra DNA in there for sure, I don't care how nice the place is.
I really hope you're not admitting to tampering with someone's drink. Especially when they are under zero legal obligation to tip you, shitty as though it may be.
Old Today, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Or, if it makes you feel better, I'm lying. I can tell you guys though you are being laughed at by people that have worked the industry at this very moment.
After reading more than a few examples of the outstanding company you keep, that really isn't saying as much as you think it is.
Old Today, 10:05 AM

One question that should be addressed in any thread on tipping is why is it the customer's responsibility to subsidize the server's salary up to minimum wage and not their employer's.
Old Today, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
One question that should be addressed in any thread on tipping is why is it the customer's responsibility to subsidize the server's salary up to minimum wage and not their employer's.
I'll play devil's advocate on this one. The idea of a minimum wage is to ensure that working people have a certain minimum standard of living. We may argue that the legal wage is too low, but that's the idea.

So, if we have decided that $7.25 is the sweet spot, then that is the mark we are shooting for. If we further understand that due to custom, people in certain fields will receive tips, then we have fulfilled our goal WRT these employees by allowing a lower base wage. For example, if we determine that the average server can make $5.50/hr on tips through the normal habits of customers, then we can allow the employer to only pay $2.13/hr because we know the employee will make $7.63: more than the minimum. In case that doesn't happen, we require the employer to make up the difference.

If we required the employer to pay the full wage, $7.25/hr, and then know that the employee will make $5.50/hr on top of that, then we have legislated a minimum wage of $12.75/hr, far in excess of what we deem the appropriate minimum should be.
Old Today, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I'll play devil's advocate on this one. The idea of a minimum wage is to ensure that working people have a certain minimum standard of living. We may argue that the legal wage is too low, but that's the idea.

So, if we have decided that $7.25 is the sweet spot, then that is the mark we are shooting for. If we further understand that due to custom, people in certain fields will receive tips, then we have fulfilled our goal WRT these employees by allowing a lower base wage. For example, if we determine that the average server can make $5.50/hr on tips through the normal habits of customers, then we can allow the employer to only pay $2.13/hr because we know the employee will make $7.63: more than the minimum. In case that doesn't happen, we require the employer to make up the difference.

If we required the employer to pay the full wage, $7.25/hr, and then know that the employee will make $5.50/hr on top of that, then we have legislated a minimum wage of $12.75/hr, far in excess of what we deem the appropriate minimum should be.
You're presuming that tipping is/should be a thing, though, which fights the context of the question.

It's often argued that customers have the obligation to tip, and tip well, because otherwise they're taking money out of the mouths of the servers. As you note, this is only true when you're talking about money above minimum wage. Which leads to the conclusion that when people demand that customers tip lest the servers starve they really mean that they think that servers are justified in expecting a wage higher, possibly much higher than minimum wage.

Which is neat and all, but why am I expected to pay the difference? Because their employer is cheap and they want to be paid well anyway? Because their employer promised that being a server would grant a steady high income on tips alone - that I am somehow responsible for? Fuck that. If I'm to be expected to pay extra to bring the employee's effective wage up to twelve dollars an hour, print it on the menu.

Seriously, the last time I went to the restaurant, they upped my bill by 20% automatically, without asking my permission or giving me any way to reverse it. How the hell is that legal? They print on the menu that it costs $25 and then they bill me $30?