Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM
CastletonSnob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 210

All Elite Wrestling going to TNT.


https://nypost.com/2019/05/15/aew-la...s-competition/

Could we be seeing another Monday Night Wars?
  #2  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:46 PM
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/05/15/aew-la...s-competition/

Could we be seeing another Monday Night Wars?
Because look how well the last Monday Night War (WWE vs Impact) worked out.
  #3  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,297
IMO they missed a spectacular opportunity with their name: they should have gone with American Wrestling Elite for AWE. The promos write themselves that way and who can forget AWE as an acronym? Much better than AEW, which has no character, no zazz...
  #4  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:01 PM
CastletonSnob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
IMO they missed a spectacular opportunity with their name: they should have gone with American Wrestling Elite for AWE. The promos write themselves that way and who can forget AWE as an acronym? Much better than AEW, which has no character, no zazz...
They could have had a great slogan: "We'll leave you in AWE".
  #5  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
They could have had a great slogan: "We'll leave you in AWE".
Their program could have been called "Shock & AWE". They could bill themselves as AWEsome. Seriously, it would be so easy because they just write themselves.
  #6  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surefall Glade, Antonica
Posts: 19,033
These guys did sell out an indy show not so long ago, and they've signed some top shelf talent. Then again, the best way I know to make a small fortune in the wrestling business is to start with a large fortune. I'll likely check them out on TNT and give them a chance....
  #7  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,551
Won't be much of a war when the promotion is playing on one of the only days there is no WWE programming. It's slated to go on Tuesday, a day after RAW, a day before NXT and three days before Smackdown moves to Fridays after Fox.
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram. And check out our blog too: TheOrlandoDuo.com
  #8  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:26 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
These guys did sell out an indy show not so long ago, and they've signed some top shelf talent.
I haven't watched wrestling since the late 1970s and even I had heard of some of the names the AEW has: Chris Jericho (his band gets written up a lot in metal mags) and the Buck Brothers (I saw a short doc on them a couple years ago).
  #9  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surefall Glade, Antonica
Posts: 19,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I haven't watched wrestling since the late 1970s and even I had heard of some of the names the AEW has: Chris Jericho (his band gets written up a lot in metal mags) and the Buck Brothers (I saw a short doc on them a couple years ago).
I watched a little bit of the dying days of TNA/Impact, and some New Japan in the last couple of years. Cody Rhodes is Dusty's son (not sure why he can't use the Rhodes name, possibly something to do with WWE). Kenny Omega was main eventing in New Japan. Brandi Rhodes is Codys wife.

I expect the product will be stiff, high impact, dangerous stuff similar to what New Japan does, but probably with more angles and interviews.
  #10  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:55 PM
ekedolphin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 4,895
I'm looking forward to seeing what AEW can do.
  #11  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:15 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
IMO they missed a spectacular opportunity with their name: they should have gone with American Wrestling Elite for AWE. The promos write themselves that way and who can forget AWE as an acronym? Much better than AEW, which has no character, no zazz...
My WAG is that they considered it but there is already a wrestling organization called AWE (Allen Wrestling Entertainment). Considering that WWF lost their name due to conflicts with the World Wildlife Fund, they may have been shy about inviting a lawsuit.
  #12  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
My WAG is that they considered it but there is already a wrestling organization called AWE (Allen Wrestling Entertainment). Considering that WWF lost their name due to conflicts with the World Wildlife Fund, they may have been shy about inviting a lawsuit.
The name is what it is because the faction of Cody, the Young Bucks, and Kenny Omega - the guys who are starting this promotion and booked the debut show in a 10,000 seat arena with their own money, are called "the Elite" from there time in New Japan as the leaders of Bullet Club.
  #13  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
My WAG is that they considered it but there is already a wrestling organization called AWE (Allen Wrestling Entertainment). Considering that WWF lost their name due to conflicts with the World Wildlife Fund, they may have been shy about inviting a lawsuit.
I did not know there was already an AWE. i do remember the WWF lawsuit; it made the news quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The name is what it is because the faction of Cody, the Young Bucks, and Kenny Omega - the guys who are starting this promotion and booked the debut show in a 10,000 seat arena with their own money, are called "the Elite" from there time in New Japan as the leaders of Bullet Club.
Another new fact for me; thanks!
  #14  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 PM
D.E.S.K.Top668 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: lil' north of Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
[<----snip]Cody Rhodes is Dusty's son (not sure why he can't use the Rhodes name, possibly something to do with WWE).[<-snip->]Brandi Rhodes is Codys wife.
You're correct. WWE owns the rights to the name "Cody Rhodes." Since he left WWE, he's gone by "Cody," "The American Nightmare, Cody*," and "(with his wife as manager) Cody and Brandi Rhodes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I expect the product will be stiff, high impact, dangerous stuff similar to what New Japan does, but probably with more angles and interviews.
I haven't seen a lot of NJPW, but from what I've seen, it seems high impact, but more involved in storyline then a dangerous spot-fest.

*That's A riff on his late father's wrestling name, The American Dream Dusty Rhodes.
  #15  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:48 AM
TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 40,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing what AEW can do.
This. No predictions, let's see what they can produce.
  #16  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,162
I haven't decided if I want to spend $50 for their upcoming PPV - Double or Nothing, since I already get WWE's PPVs for $10 a month. I'm sure it will be reproduced in YouTube in some fashion and split up into spoiler headlines.
  #17  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,393
I look forward to seeing the product on TV.
  #18  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 PM
motu's Avatar
motu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I look forward to seeing the product on TV.
I just hope they stay away from the hokey BS, they have done some really silly stuff. The Hangman Page/Joey Ryan feud featured Ryan's death, a talking cowboy boot and Ryan's return via a penis parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2vZIqx1-88&t=2s
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017