Old 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM

DONALD the Employee: a comic novel of American politics

http://donald.sirtespress.com/

Of interest to the many who follow American politics: this short comic novel on the current political scene. Long-ish excerpt is readable on the KDP sales page (which can be reached from the publisher's page linked above; that's my connection with this).

SIRTES, rearranged, of course, is RESIST.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 02-03-2018, 07:15 PM

I should add that the book is free for Prime members, and $0.99 otherwise.

From the product description:

Quote:
A President has resigned from office in disgrace. His assets are gone. No one will return his calls. He has been banned from social media. It’s a disaster—is his life over? Is there anything he can do?

An offer is made: a job. And not just any job—the type of job Donald Teehind has dreamed of for years. He is to be made the centerpiece of an entire new conservative television-news empire!

But there’s just one catch: the investors fear he cannot make the adjustment to working for someone else. They require proof that he can get along with coworkers and customers. They need to see evidence that he can control the personality traits he gloried in when head of his own company. In order to be willing to put up the money, they need to know that Donald can function as an employee.

If he can do it, he’ll be set for life—he’ll have real clout, real muscle. He'll have the chance to shape the news. He’ll BE the news. For Donald, there is no more powerful incentive.

And all he has to do is get through ONE day as an employee...

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Well, I just finished reading your book - it was well worth the 99 cents. :-)

I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll just say it was a satisfying read. I even tried to anagram Lop's name myself when he was first introduced, but wouldn't have figured out what the name represented. The book was a little dark at the end, though - I was hoping for a more upbeat and humorous ending. Still, the story did make me smile more than a few times.

Anyway, thanks for making it available to us. Two thumbs up!
Wallet
Old 02-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallet View Post
Well, I just finished reading your book - it was well worth the 99 cents. :-)

I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll just say it was a satisfying read. I even tried to anagram Lop's name myself when he was first introduced, but wouldn't have figured out what the name represented. The book was a little dark at the end, though - I was hoping for a more upbeat and humorous ending. Still, the story did make me smile more than a few times.

Anyway, thanks for making it available to us. Two thumbs up!
Wallet
This is wonderful to read--thanks!

The description as a 'comic novel' was debated, because, as you say, the ending is rather dark. "A dark comedy" was considered as a description--maybe that would be better. It seemed clear that it isn't a serious dramatic novel of politics such as All the King's Men or Advise and Consent----it's more like Primary Colors, the novel based on the Clintons.

Anyway, thanks again for reading and giving feedback!

Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I liked the sample, so I bought it!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I liked the sample, so I bought it!
Thanks!

After you've read it, any feedback would be welcome.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Update: the paperback is now available:

https://www.amazon.com/DONALD-Employ...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's up at $5.99, and equivalent on the UK and European Amazon pages--for example. ₤4.99 at https://www.amazon.co.uk/DONALD-Empl...d+the+Employee

It looks good; good font size, etc. 5" by 8" and just over 200 pages. The "Look Inside" feature now gets you well into Donald's second day as an Employee. ^_^