Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Yes, it would have been a Twilight Zone thing.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Right? I guess he saw it in old movies or something, unless we buy that he would reinvent cool guy smoking style in a day or two.
I think people believe they are cool smoking without watching Humphrey Bogart films.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Yes, it would have been a Twilight Zone thing.
More like Red Dwarf. ISTR Lister got pregnant in Parallel Universe after spending the night with his female doppelgänger.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

I was kind of impressed that the Gordon plotline avoided much of the cringe comedy that that plotline invites (Gordon wasn't constantly blundering - he covered the "building spacestations" thing instantly and smoothly) - instead, the plot dealt with the meat of the issue (and better than the Geordi plot, I think).

The episode was a bit subtle about some of the changes to Lauren's personality. Before Greg was deleted, she hated her job; afterwards, she seemed enthusiastic about it, and thrilled about the prospects for a promotion - but no one in the episode remarked on this issue

Last edited by Andy L; Yesterday at 09:08 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I have not seen all that much of the Orville, so I am curious about others' impressions of the "action" parts. Does it seem to have less of the shooting at each other than the STs?

Did you see the huge space battle two episodes ago?
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Did you see the huge space battle two episodes ago?
New episodes of Mom conflict with the first half of The Orville (I have my priorities), so I miss a lot. And sometimes the Fox channel breaks up too much to make The Orville even watchable (I see it OTA).
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Alright, I'm a day late. Thoughts.

The two of you that said this show benefits unusually from being high are absolutely correct. If you partake, you should be absolutely be high for this. It cranks up the nostalgia factor, works great for the humor, and helps you forgive the little rough spots. It might be my favorite show to watch high right now.

Right after you watch the cell phone video of the girl in the beginning, my girlfriend and I both immediately said "oh this is going to be the one with Geordi and Leah Brahams!" and it was sort of was, but obviously with its own spin on it.

It had an interesting spin as to why the relationship failed - the computer was simulating her life and Gordon was trying to use the holodeck/simulation to try to mold her into the girl he wants her to be, and not the girl she was. It broke apart when he tried to change the simulation's version of her history to shape that, and the computer then simulated how her life and her personality would've been different if the parts that shaped her like her boyfriend were cut out.

The B story totally worked for me. The actors behind Bortus and Klyden are perfect. Humorless, literal, big, strong aliens going through ordinary human foibles is inherently funny to me, I guess it's just a personal taste in humor sort of thing since it doesn't seem to work at all for some people.

When Bortus was smoking on the bridge I laughed as hard as I laugh at anything on TV. The way they shot that was perfect.

My girlfriend and I developed a theory about what we think will be a season-long metajoke somewhere at the end of this season. And I really hope it comes to be, because it would crack me up.

We think that Bortles is being set up to be in a situation where, via simulation or time travel or somelike like that, will find that he absolutely loves the styles of 1970s or 1980s America. We've seen him fascinated with a big Burt Reynolds mustache, and now he's fallen in love with cool guy smoking. We're going to see him fall in love with a cowboy hat at some point. Ultimately culminating in a scene where he participates in that simulator/time travel situation and looks like either Burt Reynolds or The Marlboro man, and to declare himself to be an American, in the way he perceives it to be, like the 1980s myth of what an American was.

You may realize that from that idea, I am still high. I can't very well evaluate how ridiculous sounds. Nevertheless, that's a joke I'm hoping for.
Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

Other thoughts:

It's nice that we can have an episode without stakes. Too many Star Trek episodes have the fate of the universe/world/life of someone at stake, and there's a high pressure situation to resolve it. Whereas this episode had no conflict to drive it. The worst thing that could happen was Gordon becoming heartbroken, or a minor temporary addiction to cigarettes. This lets us relax and breathe and take in the scenery and the characters a bit. It's a very good direction for the show to take sometimes. It makes the real high stakes drama feel more real when it happens, because it's not driving every episode all the time.

Klyden's analogy for smoking it one of the most interesting I've ever heard. I've never smoked, so I don't know how accurate it is, but "it's like I've been standing all my life and I just sat down" sounds profound.
Old Today, 03:02 AM

The show really started to take off after the Claire and Isaac episode, where there was a change in the consistency of the writing, and it's been mostly very good episodes since then.

They had a chance to make a great meta-joke out of it. The Claire and Isaac episode is the one where Bortus grows the mustache. If they had kept the mustache, then just like TNG was said to get good when Riker grew the beard, we could say the Orville got so good when Bortus grew the mustache. It would've been such a perfect parallel.

Instead, I guess the closest change to having a moment where everything got better was when Alara was replaced with Talla, but that doesn't quite sync up since the next couple of episodes weren't so good. Bortus growing the mustache would've been perfectly timed, though.