Old 12-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
It's a neat technique he has.

1) Post things that offend or rile up a large number of people.
2) Claim that the large number of people responding proves that the board is a "hive mind" and that any mod action taken in response is due to the "howling of the mob" rather than having any valid basis.

That way, octopus gets to 1) avoid taking any responsibility for things he posts; 2) claim to be the real victim here; and 3) demand more leeway because the majority are picking on him. It's a win-win-win for him, because if he doesn't get away with any of them he just whines louder about how terribly conservatives are persecuted here.

So much for "consistency and fairness".
I have no power on these boards. Anyone who disagrees with me can ignore me. Anyone with power on these boards can silence me when I provide evidence they demand and find inconvenient.

What is it that you have to fear from my words or political opinions?

I can't address point 2 because we are in the Pit.
I can't address point 2 in ATMB because it's clear that it's embarrassing to TPTB.

Last edited by octopus; 12-13-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Not fear. Annoyance.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I have no power on these boards. Anyone who disagrees with me can ignore me. Anyone with power on these boards can silence me when I provide evidence they demand and find inconvenient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-13-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:

Fear?
That's quite an ego you have there.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

It’s not fear; it’s the weariness that comes from having to correct you every time you’re wrong. It’s like reinventing the wheel every couple of days.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 12-13-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Uh, I'm on record on saying that I do not ignore anyone, and that is because from time to time there are indeed very good ideas coming from right-wingers.

Then it is really amusing to notice how most of the conservatives in power nowadays undermine the very good ideas that come from conservative posters.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 12-13-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone with power on these boards can silence me when I provide evidence they demand and find inconvenient.
That should actually be rendered as "Anyone with power on these boards can silence me." The subordinate clause does not represent a necessary condition. Including it is merely ego-tripping.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Thank you for taking out the trash.

SamuelA
HurricaneDitka
Budget Player Cadet
Zeke N. Destroi
Scumpup
Barack Obama

R. I. P.

Slowly the forums are becoming a better place.
Good riddance.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

Originally Posted by octopus
Your critique of other posters would have merit if you weren't so blatantly partisan with your bias. How about slinging some snark towards worthless left wing posters such as kaylasdad, steveG, etc?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<kaylasdad99 stops to catch his breath>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I see MY name got in there too.

My life is complete.

I never got a chance to live rent free in some ASSHOLE's head before. It's kinda fun!

Last edited by SteveG1; 12-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
It’s not fear; it’s the weariness that comes from having to correct you every time you’re wrong. It’s like reinventing the wheel every couple of days.
It's easy to make false accusations when evidence to the contrary is prohibited by fiat.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's easy to make false accusations
Obviously, since you manage it so casually with your wee brain.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
It's easy to make false accusations when evidence to the contrary is prohibited by fiat.
You have been prohibited from providing cites for your inanity? Cite?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
Also agree octopus is just a basic troll at this point, who carefully stays on the polite side of the line.

That troll is certainly not polite.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
That troll is certainly not polite.
But he has got no potty mouth!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
But he has got no potty mouth!
And he must preen!
Old 12-14-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Why do you think contrary is prohibited by fiat?
Old 12-14-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
Agree the board is a better place without these troublesome posters. I too will miss BPC’s contributions as I felt they far outweighed his occasional reckless outbursts, but I understand the reasons.

HD was completely useless. Nothing he argued was in good faith. Or if it was good faith, he was incredibly misinformed and/or ignorant. The only value in his posts was an example of a generic conservative response to every political event.

Also agree octopus is just a basic troll at this point, who carefully stays on the polite side of the line. Don’t see much more value in his posts than HD.
I'll go with this. Apart from occasionally flying off the handle like asahi sometimes can, BPC had great posts, especially when headbutting trolls.
Surprised d'Anconia isn't on the list.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Why do you think contrary is prohibited by fiat?
Let’s just say intellectual dishonesty, lack of integrity, willful cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy and the worshiping of Humpty Dumpty as guidance for philosophy is a feature of the forums not a bug.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Let’s just say intellectual dishonesty, lack of integrity, willful cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy and the worshiping of Humpty Dumpty as guidance for philosophy is a feature of the forums not a bug.
Of which you're a major contributor.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The annoyance of having to step over someone while they're making a poor attempt at doing a soccer flop.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Of which you're a major contributor.
And now he's heading towards suicide by mod, at least IMHO.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
And now he's heading towards suicide by mod, at least IMHO.
You think I’ll reach the 19 warnings of BPC or the 10 warnings of BigT first?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
For fun, I'll sometimes listen to CSPAN on my short commute. This morning a Trump supporter said the following:

1) Trump won by a landslide.
2) He turned the economy around from Obama's administration.
3) He's done everything he promised he would do.
4) He tells it like it is.

I've no doubt he was genuine. A genuine delusional idiot.

What purpose does it serve to defend the congenitally dumb who construct an alternative world that has no connection to facts and reality? Why is it good to represent the credulous and the gas-lighters?
1) Yes, he did not.
2) I'm glad you agree the economy is good.
3) He tried to.
4) "It" being what conservatives think.

Last edited by ElderSign; 12-15-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
And he must preen!
Well done! Made me chuckle. Ellison would probably have been banned by now, too, if he ever posted here.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulalia View Post
Well done! Made me chuckle. Ellison would probably have been banned by now, too, if he ever posted here.
Oh, Ellison would have lost patience with us in a matter of minutes. I'm pretty sure I would have made a point of needling him just for my own amusement because the angry yet articulate fireworks of contempt would be like combining the first, second, third and fourth of July.

"So, Harlan, you really liked that Outland movie, I heard." BOOM!
Old 12-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, Ellison would have lost patience with us in a matter of minutes. I'm pretty sure I would have made a point of needling him just for my own amusement because the angry yet articulate fireworks of contempt would be like combining the first, second, third and fourth of July.

"So, Harlan, you really liked that Outland movie, I heard." BOOM!
That Terminator movie is the most original story I've ever seen! Where does James Cameron get his ideas?
Old 12-15-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
That Terminator movie is the most original story I've ever seen! Where does James Cameron get his ideas?
"Demon With a Glass Hand was probably the shittiest Outer Limits episode ever, right?"
Old 12-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
By the way, please understand that I can't always give you an attuned response.
-- But, please go on.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And how many warnings and suspensions earned by the others?
Any idea on this?
Old 12-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
"Demon With a Glass Hand was probably the shittiest Outer Limits episode ever, right?"
How can a city be on the edge of forever? Doesn't "forever" go on, like, forever? How can it have an edge? Doesn't it having an edge mean it ends at some point? Huh? Huh? Forever? Huh?
Old 12-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Bad puns based on I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Love you guys to pieces.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Maybe somebody else could have made Dangerous Visions happen, but nobody else did! All his sins, forgiven.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Bad puns based on I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Love you guys to pieces.
On reflection, this discussion of being glad to be rid of certain trolls has led to how some of us would deliberately troll Harlan Ellison, had he been a poster here, if we take "trolling" to include needling an individual as opposed to just trying to randomly inflame a group.

Truth be told, I'd be happy to tolerate the hypothetical member Ellison getting lots of leeway in insulting other posters in Café Society because he'd be likely to do so in a highly entertaining fashion. I'm sure some posters (myself included) would be happy to provoke him just for that purpose.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
On reflection, this discussion of being glad to be rid of certain trolls has led to how some of us would deliberately troll Harlan Ellison, had he been a poster here, if we take "trolling" to include needling an individual as opposed to just trying to randomly inflame a group.

Truth be told, I'd be happy to tolerate the hypothetical member Ellison getting lots of leeway in insulting other posters in Café Society because he'd be likely to do so in a highly entertaining fashion. I'm sure some posters (myself included) would be happy to provoke him just for that purpose.
I once saw Ellison at a conference. A misguided "fan" tried to goad him. Said "fan" was insulted and berated by H.E. so badly, that he ended up leaving the room, never to return. It was a thing of beauty.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:10 PM

In fact, as I recall, the only person in the whole place that Ellison showed any respect to whatsoever was A. E. Van Vogt.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:00 AM

I was insulted by him, and it was a high point of my life.

He kept calling me an idiot because I didn't jump at the chance to get his autograph. He was going on about how it'd be worth a lot on eBay after he died, which would probably be any day now.

We were amusing everyone else there, so I kept telling him about things I'd rather do than get his autograph: "That vasectomy with half the anesthetic I should've had? That was more pleasurable. And when all the grandkids had to kiss my elderly Granny Lorraine's powdered jowls...?"

After all that, I couldn't ask him for his signature, so I told him that on my way home I'd buy an empty frame (which I did!), and tell people that it's my most prize possession: the blank piece of paper that looks better without Harlan Ellison's autograph.

Last edited by digs; 12-16-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:59 AM

If half the stories about Ellison are true, he'd have gotten himself banned quite quickly without any needling required. As eloquent and creative as his abuse may have been, the odds of him unleashing it in GD on a regular basis would have been high.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I was insulted by him, and it was a high point of my life.

He kept calling me an idiot because I didn't jump at the chance to get his autograph. He was going on about how it'd be worth a lot on eBay after he died, which would probably be any day now.

We were amusing everyone else there, so I kept telling him about things I'd rather do than get his autograph: "That vasectomy with half the anesthetic I should've had? That was more pleasurable. And when all the grandkids had to kiss my elderly Granny Lorraine's powdered jowls...?"

After all that, I couldn't ask him for his signature, so I told him that on my way home I'd buy an empty frame (which I did!), and tell people that it's my most prize possession: the blank piece of paper that looks better without Harlan Ellison's autograph.

I'd be willing to bet that this was the high point of his week, if not his month. He probably told others about this story with glee.