Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Curtain or glass door for shower & tub?

Well, which do you prefer? We're doing a bathroom renovation and it's easy to go either way. I'm used to a curtain, but I don't like that they tend to leak a bit and get moldy and need replacing.

I also wouldn't rule out both -- that is, functionally a glass door, but also put a fabric curtain on the outside strictly for decorative purposes, especially when we are entertaining.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:31 AM

If you do decide on glass,make sure that it is frosted ("cloudy") glass and not clear(like a window).
Clear glass is impossible to keep clean. Frosted glass doesn't show water spots.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:32 AM

My favorite is the partial glass wall. No moving parts and you can walk in or out without doing anything. You need a bit more space to ensure the water doesn't splash out the opening. They are easy to clean and easy to use and doesn't feel awkward when you brush up against it.

Something like this.
https://images.app.goo.gl/t7fC18AYH2FrLhmR8
Old 11-22-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
Well, which do you prefer? We're doing a bathroom renovation and it's easy to go either way. I'm used to a curtain, but I don't like that they tend to leak a bit and get moldy and need replacing.

I also wouldn't rule out both -- that is, functionally a glass door, but also put a fabric curtain on the outside strictly for decorative purposes, especially when we are entertaining.
If you're concerned with glass looks when you're entertaining, you should be able to find one that's frosted or has some other time of design that makes it translucent.

Personally, I'd probably go with a curtain. I like the look of glass and from that aspect, I'd pick it. However, I don't know how much upkeep is required. With a curtain you really don't have to clean it. For ten or fifteen dollars you can get a new one once or twice a year. While it wouldn't be a dealbreaker, I imagine it's much easier to clean the shower with a curtain all the way open (or off) than with the glass door blocking half of it.

As for them leaking, they do make little clip type things that you mount to the wall of the shower next to the curtain to hold it against the wall. In my shower, the rod has a set screw about 2 inches from the ends. I always make sure that one or two of the curtain holder rings are pushed between that screw and the wall and that's enough to keep the curtain far enough over to prevent any leaks.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:46 AM

It really depends on the setup. We had the sliding glass doors on a tub once. Terrible.

You can't sit on the side of the tub and soak your feet because the tracks are there. Washing things (kids, dogs) is harder because of the stupid track and the doors are always covering half of the tub at best.

The track gets water in it, which dries an leaves mineral deposits.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
If you do decide on glass,make sure that it is frosted ("cloudy") glass and not clear(like a window).
Clear glass is impossible to keep clean. Frosted glass doesn't show water spots.
Strange, I haven't found this a problem at all. We clean weekly with either viakal or a glass cleaner. Easy peasy (and I'm in a hard water area).

I loathe curtains with an absolute passion. They stick to your legs and go mouldy in the folds. Glass is much cleaner, brighter, altogether a more pleasurable experience.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
My favorite is the partial glass wall. No moving parts and you can walk in or out without doing anything. You need a bit more space to ensure the water doesn't splash out the opening. They are easy to clean and easy to use and doesn't feel awkward when you brush up against it.

Something like this.
https://images.app.goo.gl/t7fC18AYH2FrLhmR8
This is what I have in my walk-in shower. It always looks spotless and has no moving parts for any dirt to gather in.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Always disliked glass doors. You can buy a lot of shower curtains for the price of one glass door. When we had a tub/shower, I installed a curved curtain rod, which pretty much eliminated the usual problems with shower curtains, and provided more elbow room.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:20 AM

Glass door for a shower stall. Curtains for a tub/shower setup.

I've installed both. (And I've replaced for the 3rd time the bottom shower gasket just recently. This requires complete disassembly and re-installation of the whole blessed thing.)

The standard two-wide-doors bathtub style just closes off too much of the access to the tub. You have to get into noticeably more sophisticated systems that allow much broader access to the tub and those tend to have more leakage issues. (And wide swingout doors may conflict with other fixtures.)

The curved, double-rod systems are a great improvement in the curtain department.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Avoid sliding doors at all cost. Hinged only. MUCH easier to maintain.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
My gf's bathroom was remodeled a few years ago and the clear glass door is beautiful. But she has to squeegee it every time she showers. My shower curtain is easier, I replace it once a year or so.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:55 AM

I have clear glass on a shower enclosure that I simply spray after showering and it leaves the glass spotless. Works better and uses less spray if I squeegee. I prefer the curtain on my Tub.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Always disliked glass doors. You can buy a lot of shower curtains for the price of one glass door. When we had a tub/shower, I installed a curved curtain rod, which pretty much eliminated the usual problems with shower curtains, and provided more elbow room.
Just a warning about the curved shower rod. Remember the 4th rule of conservation comes into play. Bathroom space can neither be created or destroyed (ok but the principal works for this). I got the curved rod and it stuck out too far in the non-tub area, it went back and the standard rod worked much better.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Strange, I haven't found this a problem at all. We clean weekly with either viakal or a glass cleaner. Easy peasy (and I'm in a hard water area).

I loathe curtains with an absolute passion. They stick to your legs and go mouldy in the folds. Glass is much cleaner, brighter, altogether a more pleasurable experience.
Depends on your water. We are on a well. I filter the water through two whole hose filters hooked serially.

We still have a ton of rust and calcium. Have had both glass and plastic curtain. While I prefer glass, it is and absolute bitch to keep clean. Our showers are so bad we have to use toilet bowl cleaner to get the rust off. It's a nasty job, with lots of dangerous fumes.

With a plastic curtain. I can just through it away and hang a new one.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 AM

We have a tub shower combo and use shower curtains. I have a clear plastic liner on the inside and a decorative cloth on the outside. The curtain rings have double hooks.
There was a time when I really wanted doors instead until both of my sisters told me how much they hated theirs. They're hard to clean - old toothbrushes to clean the tracks, water spots, and mildew in crevices.

Every few months I throw the plastic liner in the washing machine. Every year I get a new one - they're under $10. The cloth curtain never gets dirty - maybe a little dusty. That gets washed maybe once a year. I have a few different cloth curtains. It's nice to change it up on occasion.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Just a warning about the curved shower rod. Remember the 4th rule of conservation comes into play. Bathroom space can neither be created or destroyed (ok but the principal works for this). I got the curved rod and it stuck out too far in the non-tub area, it went back and the standard rod worked much better.
I've had a few curved rods and never had that issue. Before I got the first one I remember thinking that it might be an issue because it'll push out into the rest of the bathroom, but it only overhangs the tub by a few inches. But even that is only in the middle, at the top. By the time the curtain is near the walls of floor it doesn't stick out any further than a standard rod.

The only issue I've had is that because they curve out, instead of a shear force where they're mounted, there's torque and leverage involved. If it's not installed really well, it'll rotate down a bit. I've never had one fail, but it looks a little sloppy.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:14 AM

If it is the only tub in the house, I would stay with a curtain. When it is time to sell the house, a young couple with little kids will prefer a tub without the door for easier child bathing. This helps keep open more potential buyers.

However, doors are better than curtains in almost every way, especially for a master bath.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

There were sliding glass doors on the shower/tub combo in the house where I grew up...the glass was pebbled, so it always looked nice, but the track was insanely difficult to keep clean.

My current house has a curtain for the bathroom with the shower/tub combo, and a hinged door for the bathroom with the shower stall. It has clear glass, which (as others have noted) is impossible to keep clean, and I've had to resort to chemicals to keep the metal frame clean at the bottom.

I prefer my shower curtain with its separate cloth liner, which comes clean with a nice soak in bleach-water (bonus: the textured bottom of the tub comes clean while soaking too).
Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 PM

For anyone with the half wall, is the water when showering pretty well contained?? We're about to do a bathroom down-to-the studs remodel.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

If you have a huge bathroom, then go with your gut.
My bathroom is actually quite small, which swayed my opinion heavily.

When we did a full gutting and renovation some years back, I did everything as nice as possible and made sure things were constructed for my 6'3" height--from the height of the shower head to the height of the glass doors I had put on the tub.

Ah bliss! Being able to take a shower like normal people for the first time in my life, without having to duck under a low shower head.

But my wife and I had to admit: when the glass guys came in with the fancy glass, it looked wrong. Something just wasn't right about that bathroom. It was thick custom glass, and had cost around $1.5k, so we went with it, figuring that we just weren't used to the look.

A year went by, and one day I looked at my wife and said "Would you be upset if I took those glass doors down?"
She jumped for joy, having hated the doors from the day they were installed, but not wanting to say so after the cost.

An hour later I had all of the glass leaning against the deck outside, and the bathroom suddenly looked so much more inviting and open. The problem is that even though the doors were constructed in a way that there was very little metal visible, they still divided the small room into still smaller spaces.

This was truly a case where it was possible to suffer with the wrong arrangement simply because of what we had invested in it. I never regretted removing that glass.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
Avoid sliding doors at all cost. Hinged only. MUCH easier to maintain.
This is absolutely essential!!!!
Never use sliding tracks.As
mentioned above,the tracks are hard to clean. And they are very inconvenient--you cant sit on the edge of the tub,the tracks get in your way if you want to bend over the edge to ,say, wash a child.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:14 AM

My new rental has glass doors and they are beautiful, but they are very difficult to care for. Having to squeegee and then dry the doors with a towel after every use, is a pain in the rear. I've even stopped taking two showers a day.

I used a curtain with a liner at my last place and I could wash the liner with bleach about 3 or 4 times a year without any problem. I'd go back to a curtain in a heartbeat. Plus they have very pretty colorful curtains these days.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Well this has been a great wealth of information! Thank you!

What I mind most about the present curtain is that it lets a lot of water get onto the floor. Also I really dislike it when it blows against me and sometimes wraps around me.

I think I want to find the devices for securing the ends of the curtain, and get a bow shaped rod, and find a heavier inner curtain. I think I'm happy with the ease of just replacing it rather than struggling to clean it.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:14 PM
born to be shunned

I like glass. That being said its a pain in the arse with cleaning, the odd leaks now and then, and other issues. And replacing can be a major chore. But --- got one now, had one before, and will probably have another before I die. Go figure.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:

I can clean my glass shower enclosure and get it spotless. The very next time I take a shower, water spots start building up, within a couple of days it looks awful.

Quote:
This is what I have in my walk-in shower. It always looks spotless and has no moving parts for any dirt to gather in.
Then the glass wall must be so far from the shower that it doesn't get wet. Otherwise, I don't see how it could "always look spotless."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I have clear glass on a shower enclosure that I simply spray after showering and it leaves the glass spotless. Works better and uses less spray if I squeegee. I prefer the curtain on my Tub.
Spray it with what? Please, I would give actual money for something like this that really works.

The only thing I have found that keeps a glass shower enclosure clean for a few days at least is a RainX product designed for the purpose. But the chemical smell is so strong while applying it that I have to stop and go breathe fresh air for a few minutes at least twice during the process, and that's with the bathroom fan on.

I think rather than simply frosted smooth glass, maybe textured and frosted glass would hide the water spots better? I'm not sure, I suppose that would be harder to clean. If I had it to do over I'm not sure what I would do.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 PM

Curtain. Every time. On less hard surface to bang my elbows and knees on.
As many have stated, much easier to keep clean and much cheaper to replace.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
It really depends on the setup. We had the sliding glass doors on a tub once. Terrible.

You can't sit on the side of the tub and soak your feet because the tracks are there. Washing things (kids, dogs) is harder because of the stupid track and the doors are always covering half of the tub at best.

The track gets water in it, which dries an leaves mineral deposits.
HATE glass doors on tracks. Soap scum gets in the tracks, too, and even cleaning it with an old toothbrush doesn't really work (and it's a pain in the *ss).
Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Neither! India-style floor drain in open shower area in corner of bathroom for the win!!!

Okay, that wasn't very helpful, but it is a potential alternative for larger bathrooms, and hella fun.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I've seen a bathroom where the shower stall had sliding glass doors, that actually slid into the wall (pocket doors), leaving the bathroom much more open & spacious looking. Also, being hidden most of the time reduced the need for cleaning.

This only works if the design of the bathroom allows it. And it required the builder to replace the standard track with an extended track. But it's really liked by the owners.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
We have a tub shower combo and use shower curtains. I have a clear plastic liner on the inside and a decorative cloth on the outside. The curtain rings have double hooks.
There was a time when I really wanted doors instead until both of my sisters told me how much they hated theirs. They're hard to clean - old toothbrushes to clean the tracks, water spots, and mildew in crevices.

Every few months I throw the plastic liner in the washing machine. Every year I get a new one - they're under $10. The cloth curtain never gets dirty - maybe a little dusty. That gets washed maybe once a year. I have a few different cloth curtains. It's nice to change it up on occasion.
This is what we did when we lived in the U.S. Also, because the curtain rod was really high, the former owners used 4 curtain hooks linked together for each hole, to get the bottom of the curtain sufficiently in the tub.

We now have a separate shower enclosure, so the tub never does double duty as a shower. Much nicer for soaking.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 AM

grandmas shower had the sliding doors but they had something like frosted plexiglass because of of the grandkids.....but yeah we cut ourselves on the track once or twice

To be honest id prefer neither if its a small/tiny bathroom
Old 11-24-2019, 06:42 AM

I'm trying to psych myself up to have my bathroom (with an over-bath shower) re-done. I have a cloth (artificial fibre) curtain at the moment, which isn't a problem in itself (it's plain white, gets washed a couple of times a year after a lengthy soak in diluted distilled vinegar to get rid of accumulated limescale, overlaps enough with the edge of the bath not to spray anywhere, and it doesn't drift in and cling).

However, the rail I put up for it about 20 years ago just looks inelegant and amateurish, so I'd like a screen, probably part-fixed and part-hinged. I don't quite get the concern about spots - I've used glass-screened showers elsewhere, and found a wiper-blade clears any residue pretty quickly. If there is residual limescale (and London has very hard water), an occasional going over with the distilled vinegar should take care of that, as it does with my taps and the bath and basin.

Or am I missing something?
Old 11-24-2019, 07:48 AM

I am puzzled about the issue of spots on frosted glass.

We have semi-hard water and all I do is spray and wipe the shower door once a week during my cleaning routine. And that's just to prevent long term buildup. They pretty much look the same before and after.

Same for the sliding bath doors we had way back when.

And cleaning the bottom track was never an issue. It was flat with an upward thing on the outside edge. So a simple spray and swipe works there.

Now, the shower door seal is a problem due to the vinyl gasket wanting to grab crap. But this is a ~35 year old door. A modern shower door should have a much better system.

Forgot about the bottom edge on the rim of the bathtub being a problem. Couldn't sit or lean over because of it. And this was in the day of the kids being little.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Curtain, makes it easy to change the look of the bathroom overnight just by changing the curtain.

Plus, I hated cleaning the glass as a kid.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 AM

Sliding glass door. I agree about the slider rails, they collect dirt and grime and scaling. I just finished a remodel and it is suspended from above. Clear glass, not frosted, for a cleaner look. Easy to clean, a quick squeegee after my shower.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Neither! India-style floor drain in open shower area in corner of bathroom for the win!!!

Okay, that wasn't very helpful, but it is a potential alternative for larger bathrooms, and hella fun.
I saw a house once where the master bedroom had a master bathroom with a shower and the shower had a very low lip, was very long, like 10 foot, with the floor slightly angled towards the drain in the far corner. They said they never even used a curtain.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:02 AM

If you have a nice roomy shower stall, a glass door is nice. It feels lighter in the shower that way. But if you have a smaller stall, or a tub, use a curtain. There's more room. You can sit on the edge of the tub. You don't bang your elbows. You can sit IN the tub and rest your book on the edge of the tub. You can install an extra bulb over the tub to make the space bright and cheery.

I've never had trouble with water leaking out of the curtain, though. I'm not even certain if the mechanism for it leaking.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I saw a house once where the master bedroom had a master bathroom with a shower and the shower had a very low lip, was very long, like 10 foot, with the floor slightly angled towards the drain in the far corner. They said they never even used a curtain.
Yeah, that's pretty standard for bathrooms in India, for example. If you're trying to keep shower water within a radius of less than one meter as in most tub/shower enclosures, you do need some kind of barrier. But if you've got a couple meters or more of space between the shower and all the stuff you don't want sprayed with shower water, then you can just leave the space open.

Or there's my personal dream bath with sunken tub/shower enclosure about 5 ft deep by 3 ft by 4 ft, for showering or bathing entirely beneath floor level! No curtain, no door, no shower spillage, no cold drafts! Did I mention the waterproof LED lights behind glass brick walls to facilitate reading in the sunken tub?
Old 11-26-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
What I mind most about the present curtain is that it lets a lot of water get onto the floor. Also I really dislike it when it blows against me and sometimes wraps around me.
This makes me think that you've hung the liner wrong. You do need to have the bottom of liner inside the tub to keep the water from leaking past it. And if your liner is heavy enough, it doesn't blow against you. Target sells a clear one for about $5 that doesn't try to attack you.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
This makes me think that you've hung the liner wrong. You do need to have the bottom of liner inside the tub to keep the water from leaking past it. And if your liner is heavy enough, it doesn't blow against you. Target sells a clear one for about $5 that doesn't try to attack you.
Or the curtain and liner aren’t long enough for the bottom to remain inside the shower pan.

And a rod that bows out will give extra inches of elbow room, like Napier said.

If your tub or shower pan have metal, some shower curtains have magnets at the bottom corners. This also helps anchor the curtain.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:01 AM

I'm also wondering if the curtain is hung too high. It needs to overlap the side of the tub enough to "stick", so it down't blow around your legs. And it needs to overlap the side of the tub enough to contain water, of course.

If the rod is hung very high, consider:
Moving the rod lower
Getting a longer shower curtain
Adding a couple of extra rows of shower-curtain-hangers between the rod and the curtain, to lower it.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
...I also wouldn't rule out both -- that is, functionally a glass door, but also put a fabric curtain on the outside strictly for decorative purposes, especially when we are entertaining.
Never seen/heard of this.

During our remodel, we borrowed a closet from an adjoining bedroom, and made that into a shower with a glass door. The tub has no curtain or door.

In our last 3 homes, we've redone 5 bathrooms. In all of them, we went from curtains to doors on the tubs (3) and showers (2). Yeah, sliding doors on a tub aren't optimal if you feel the need to sit on the edge of the tub - which is not anything we really feel a need to do. If that is a big deal for you, I'd imagine you could easily fold up a towel to sit on...

And I never perceived the rails as getting any more filthy than the rest of the tub/door.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
And I never perceived the rails as getting any more filthy than the rest of the tub/door.
Rails can get grody. Thatís why I hung a sliding glass door from above. No rails at the bottom to get grody.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Never seen/heard of this.

During our remodel, we borrowed a closet from an adjoining bedroom, and made that into a shower with a glass door. The tub has no curtain or door.

In our last 3 homes, we've redone 5 bathrooms. In all of them, we went from curtains to doors on the tubs (3) and showers (2). Yeah, sliding doors on a tub aren't optimal if you feel the need to sit on the edge of the tub - which is not anything we really feel a need to do. If that is a big deal for you, I'd imagine you could easily fold up a towel to sit on...

If you ever use the tub as a tub, the rails are a PITA. One of the best upgrades I made to my master bathroom was removing the sliding glass door on the tub, scraping down the silicone that had held it in place, and hanging a shower curtain.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

My shower curtains always come with magnets molded into the bottom, to stick to the fiberglass tub.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
My gf's bathroom was remodeled a few years ago and the clear glass door is beautiful. But she has to squeegee it every time she showers. My shower curtain is easier, I replace it once a year or so.
This is what I do. Not a big deal at all.

My shower stall has two glass sides, one of which includes the door. The other two sides are tile (the shower stall is in a corner of the bathroom).

I keep a squeegee in the shower. Takes maybe 60 seconds to squeegee it after a shower.

It's always clean, always clear.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
My shower curtains always come with magnets molded into the bottom, to stick to the fiberglass tub.
That’s some trick...

We upgraded our old fiberglass tub to a tiled. walk-in shower, with sliding glass door. We bought textured glass (it looks like raindrops on it), which doesn’t show water spots. The lower track is just an “L” to keep water in, and is easy to clean. The whole look is much, much, much nicer.

Last edited by beowulff; 11-28-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I prefer a shower curtain, as I find shower doors annoying to repair once they need it.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

We have both. The glass door goes from floor to ceiling. We squeegee it. No shower pan. Heated concrete floor. The shower curtain is colorful and doesnít attack.