Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 AM

Has fox news been correctly identifying the party of Chris Collins?

Whenever a Republican Congress person or other politician was accused of wrongdoing, Fox news used to "accidentally" Identify that person as a Democrat in the initial reports, usually by putting (D) after their name rather than (R). Has this been happening in the case of New York representative Chris Collins? I can no longer see well enough to tell.

"I'm not emotional. I'm happy. All my enemies are in the same place."
Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 AM

The first question is: has FoxNews been reporting on the Chris Collins story at all? I'm not seeing anything on the FoxNews website.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
The first question is: has FoxNews been reporting on the Chris Collins story at all? I'm not seeing anything on the FoxNews website.
From their website:

New York Republican Rep. Christopher Collins has been indicted on insider trading charges, federal prosecutors announced Wednesday. .
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Huh. I even searched by his name.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 AM

didn't they even once do something like "Kim Jong Un-(D) North Korea"?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 AM

They are reporting his party correctly in the video on that page. But I do remember that these mistakes were always like one-time things that they would fix, so that doesn't mean they never put a D after his name. What was suspicious is that they always went one direction.

That said, I would think that, if they had messed this up, that there would be something online about it. And I'm not finding anything. So I think they didn't do it this time. I've not heard of it in a long time, actually, so I suspect that they don't do it now that people have caught on.

Or, at least, they don't try it with big news stories where they would be quickly caught.

Last edited by BigT; 08-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 AM

My suspicion regarding this behavior is that it was both inadvertent and indicative of bias at the same time.

Basically I can imagine a copy writer on a deadline not knowing the party affiliation of the perpetrator in question, but guessing that if he did something bad and its being reported on Fox then more likely than not he's a Democrat. If he guesses D in that situation he will be right nine times out of ten.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Giving credit when its due, they even reported
Quote:
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a statement that "the charges against Congressman Collins show the rampant culture of corruption and self-enrichment among Republicans in Washington."

“The American people deserve better than the GOP’s corruption, cronyism, and incompetence," she added.

Collins has a track record of publicly backing Trump, including being one of the first sitting members of Congress to endorse his candidacy. Most recently, Collins called for an end to Special Counsel Robert Mueller's probe into campaign collusion and blamed the Obama administration for failing to push back on Russia.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Giving credit when its due, they even reported
I can't give them credit for reporting what Pelosi said. They know that uttering Pelosi's name infuriates Republicans and of course ginning up hate is what the network is all about.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Whenever a Republican Congress person or other politician was accused of wrongdoing, Fox news used to "accidentally" Identify that person as a Democrat in the initial reports, usually by putting (D) after their name rather than (R).
Is this remotely accurate? I recall one instance where this happened (though it may have been a local Fox affiliate rather than the Fox network).

Anything remotely close to "whenever ..."?
Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
Is this remotely accurate? I recall one instance where this happened (though it may have been a local Fox affiliate rather than the Fox network).

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2009/6/24/746456/-

There seems to have been a burst of this activity at one time, but I don't sense it is currently a common occurrence.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:

It has happened a lot. A little googling goes a long way.

Gov Mark Sanford, D (SC)

To be fair, Fox wasn't alone in labeling Dennis Hastert as a Democrat.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I think they made that "mistake" fairly frequently six or seven years ago. Maybe after the seventh or eigth time of being nicked for it, they gave up the practice, or at least I read about it less often.

https://youtu.be/7ZrnmVP__AI?t=1m50s
Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Is this remotely accurate?
And don't miss their informative charts.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 PM

But don't ever dare mention the times that they would put up "Rep. Namehere (NY) accused of Mopery", leaving the viewer to infer that the person is a Republican.

I'm not sure if it ever happened that they would deliberately leave off a party designation and hope that people thought the "Representative" abbreviation would make people think they were a Republican, but it was something I was confused about as a kid watching news reports. It may have no basis in reality and is just the result of someone not being old enough to understand everything yet.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:05 AM

Fox & Friends’: Defeat of ‘Communist Japan’ Proves U.S. Is a Great Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dy3yS30_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-Ub9Er1Ls
Old 09-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Bumping this one on the breaking news that Chris Collins is pleading guilty, and has submitted his resignation to Nancy Pelosi's office, where they have confirmed receipt. His resignation will be effective noon, tomorrow (10-1-2019).

https://twitter.com/K_JeanPierre/sta...33727570116608

(This is the closest I could find to a Chris Collins thread...)

Last edited by JohnT; 09-30-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:54 PM

I have no doubt that Fox will label The Donald as a Democrat the minute he is convicted by the Senate.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I have no doubt that Fox will label The Donald as a Democrat the minute he is convicted by the Senate.
Tramp would only be reverting to his prior (D) identity. Can we easily dismiss the tale that Tramp conspired with his old buds the Clintons to destroy the GOP by revealing the right's obscenity? GOP is now known as the party of traitorous haters and luzers, vastly white, young and old with few prospects. Demographics are against the GOP.

What, Faux Newz staffers subtly or blatantly misidentify politicians? Accidents happen. But in Japanese art, accidents MUST happen; ceramics MUST break, to be creatively fixed with gilded glue. And in Faux-land, glitches MUST occur, just so. Bad Republican: accidentally apply (D) or nothing. Bad anyone else: accidentally apply (D). Edit those out if anyone whines. But never apologize.

If Independents become a solid bloc, expect Faux to label its targets (I).
Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Tramp would only be reverting to his prior (D) identity. Can we easily dismiss the tale that Tramp conspired with his old buds the Clintons to destroy the GOP by revealing the right's obscenity? GOP is now known as the party of traitorous haters and luzers, vastly white, young and old with few prospects. Demographics are against the GOP.

What, Faux Newz staffers subtly or blatantly misidentify politicians? Accidents happen. But in Japanese art, accidents MUST happen; ceramics MUST break, to be creatively fixed with gilded glue. And in Faux-land, glitches MUST occur, just so. Bad Republican: accidentally apply (D) or nothing. Bad anyone else: accidentally apply (D). Edit those out if anyone whines. But never apologize.

If Independents become a solid bloc, expect Faux to label its targets (I).
Hi! Welcome to the Straight Dope! I'm not a moderator, so this is just a request from one poster to another.

Please, please, please stop referring to him at "Tramp" in this forum. It just looks like a typo, or rather childish name calling. And, "Faux Newz"? Come on. We have a forum called the BBQ Pit for that stuff. It's just getting under my skin -- your posts read like rants to me, suitable to the Pit, but this is supposed to be one of our debate forums.

Back to the OP, looks like they haven't made that "mistake" when referring to Chris Collins. I suppose they may do that if Trump is kicked out, but there's no real point in speculating.

Sorry for the interruption, and, again, welcome to the Boards.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:02 PM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I'm betting they go with "long-time Democratic donor." Which is, embarrassingly, true.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:58 AM

I'll admit I had completely forgotten who Chris Collins was and for a moment thought "Wasn't he the 'LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!' guy?". But that's Chris Crocker, apparently.