Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 PM

Tax the rich!

I suppose this could easily tip over into Great Debates but I'm genuinely curious...

A lot of democratic politicians keep saying "tax the rich! taxes must go up!" but is the tax rate even a problem? Seems to me the bigger problem is people (and corporations) who pay almost no taxes whatsoever by exploiting loopholes. So in one sense, increasing taxes on rich people who already pay taxes isn't going to do much of anything.

Or am I totally off base?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
the bigger problem is people (and corporations) who pay almost no taxes whatsoever by exploiting loopholes.
"Exploiting loopholes" is that your definition of following the tax code? It's easy to spout off or repeat tropes like "Amazon had $11 billion in profits and paid no taxes last year".

We have a part of the tax code that when a company has losses, and can't deduct them, it can carry forward those losses into future years to offset income they generate into the future. This isn't some special loophole only permitted for Company's run by Jeff Bezos, it's permitted to be used by all companies. It's there to help incentivize innovation and growth. Most companies when they begin are not immediately profitable, many struggle with losses for many years until their business plans come into fruition.

Amazon only recently began generating profits. It racked up losses for many years. Much in the same way that Tesla is currently.

Do we need tax reform? Yes, we need to make filing your taxes for people and companies simpler. Do we need to find ways to balance our federal budget? Definitely. That needs to come from increased taxes and a smaller federal budget.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:23 PM

The richest 400 families pay a lower tax rate than middle class. That's overall taxes, not just income tax. This is not from obscure loopholes, this is from a lower tax rate and ways they can avoid paying.

So, if you are middle class and don't like paying more than the Koch's, you know who to thank. As for spending less, get back to me on that the next time your suspension goes out after running over a pothole or a bridge about to fall down is closed.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
... Do we need to find ways to balance our federal budget? Definitely. That needs to come from increased taxes and a smaller federal budget.
Do you propose to increase taxes on the rich, or on the working class? Before answering recall that even before the Trump-Hannity tax cuts, Warren Buffett was taxed at a lower rate than his secretary.

How do you propose to decrease the federal budget? Recall that SocSec is self-funding: it is not financed by income taxes. Be aware that Discretionary Federal Government Spending as a percent of GDP is lower now than it has ever been since the end of World War II. The biggest items, by far, among Non-Mandatory Spending are: Military, Interest on the Debt, and Veterans' Assistance.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Do you propose to increase taxes on the rich, or on the working class? Before answering recall that even before the Trump-Hannity tax cuts, Warren Buffett was taxed at a lower rate than his secretary.

How do you propose to decrease the federal budget? Recall that SocSec is self-funding: it is not financed by income taxes. Be aware that Discretionary Federal Government Spending as a percent of GDP is lower now than it has ever been since the end of World War II. The biggest items, by far, among Non-Mandatory Spending are: Military, Interest on the Debt, and Veterans' Assistance.
My question, directed at present-day "fiscal conservatives," was met with deafening silence. It's very difficult to treat the self-label "fiscal conservative" seriously, or even as meaningful.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
My question, directed at present-day "fiscal conservatives," was met with deafening silence. It's very difficult to treat the self-label "fiscal conservative" seriously, or even as meaningful.
I describe myself as a fiscal conservative and I'm well to the right on this board. Personally, if I was in charge, I'd reduce military spending by 50% within 4 years (with a target of defence spending at 2% of GDP within a decade) and pull 20% out of the rest of discretionary spending which will save us about $450 billion per year and leave us about 350 billion short annually. To raise that difference I'd bump up all personal tax rates by 20% so the top rate would be just over 46%.

Last edited by Oredigger77; 10-27-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Thanks for answering, Oredigger77 ! Not to start a fight, but Discretionary Spending is already cut to the bone. — and there's very little of it anyway, outside VA (and Medicare if you consider that discretionary). A 50% military cut is also rather drastic.

But I still appreciate the answer!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:54 PM
BANNED

"Tax rate" is already an abstraction though. If I make $2M and pay $500k in taxes and you make $100,000 and pay 30k in taxes you are paying a higher tax rate but I'm writing a check that's 15x larger. Of course the only way that would happen is if those are capital gains or dividends. Capital gains entail risk and dividends are double taxed.

Overall I don't really see the problem. Rich people pay way more in absolute terms.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Overall I don't really see the problem. Rich people pay way more in absolute terms.
Watch it there neutron, you will be accused of supporting regressive taxes!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
"Tax rate" is already an abstraction though. If I make $2M and pay $500k in taxes...Of course the only way that would happen is if those are capital gains or dividends. Capital gains entail risk and dividends are double taxed...
This doesn’t actually appear to match the actual tax rates in effect. You’ll excuse me for not realizing that this was meant to be a factual account.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxe...ins-tax-rates/

https://smartasset.com/taxes/dividend-tax-rate
Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 PM

A country needs a certain amount of money to be run to a particular standard. Ideally, you should get that money from where it will be missed the least.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
A country needs a certain amount of money to be run to a particular standard. Ideally, you should get that money from where it will be missed the least.
Why?

I would argue the opposite. Everyone gets a vote and everyone should be on the hook to pay for what the government comes up with. If you can't pay because you are on hard times, that's fine, some kind of minimum deduction seems good. But beyond that a fair amount of tax would be everyone paying the same IMHO. Note, not the same percentage, the same amount.

If I go to burger king they don't charge me more based on my income. This is just an excuse to justify taking as much as possible.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
If I go to burger king they don't charge me more based on my income. This is just an excuse to justify taking as much as possible.
What if they charged everyone the same amount - and that meant that half of their customers couldn't afford to eat there anymore?
Old 10-27-2019, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Jean Baptiste Colbert:
Quote:
The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Who misses money less???
Old 10-16-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Who misses money less???
The loss of any particular sum or percentage of money is felt less by people who have more money than by people who have less money. This is why, for example, accidentally dropping a couple of twenties in the street can be a budget-wrecking disaster for a poor person but may not even be noticed by a rich person. See also: Diminishing marginal utility of income and wealth.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
The loss of any particular sum or percentage of money is felt less by people who have more money than by people who have less money. This is why, for example, accidentally dropping a couple of twenties in the street can be a budget-wrecking disaster for a poor person but may not even be noticed by a rich person. See also: Diminishing marginal utility of income and wealth.
Diminishing marginal utility is something made up to justify taking the money IMHO.

People who are productive can use that capital to do exciting things. Imagine if we had taxed away all of Elon Musk's wealth for example.

Yes, your last $20 is valuable if it's all you have. So a reasonable deduction on taxes makes sense. But that's not an argument to soak everyone else.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Diminishing marginal utility is something made up to justify taking the money IMHO.
ISTM that attitude is elevating dogma over acknowledgement of reality. You don't want rich people to be disproportionately taxed, so you simply ignore the fundamental fact that losing, say, a hundred bucks or a day's wages generally has much less negative impact on rich people than poor people. That's all that diminishing marginal utility of wealth/income means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro
People who are productive can use that capital to do exciting things.
Sure, but (a) not everybody who has a lot of money is productive, and (b) nobody AFAIK is seriously suggesting that taxation should take away all or even most of the money rich people have. Just that it makes sense to tax rich people more than poor people, since as a matter of simple practicality they can more easily spare the money.

Plenty of rich people in relatively high-tax countries are managing both to live very comfortably and to do exciting things with their capital despite paying a higher proportion of their income/wealth in taxes. I wouldn't insult American rich people by assuming that they're not capable of similar achievements and therefore mustn't be subjected to a higher tax rate because it'll bweak their poor widdle motivations and make them feel all sad.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
ISTM that attitude is elevating dogma over acknowledgement of reality. You don't want rich people to be disproportionately taxed, so you simply ignore the fundamental fact that losing, say, a hundred bucks or a day's wages generally has much less negative impact on rich people than poor people. That's all that diminishing marginal utility of wealth/income means.

Sure, but (a) not everybody who has a lot of money is productive, and (b) nobody AFAIK is seriously suggesting that taxation should take away all or even most of the money rich people have. Just that it makes sense to tax rich people more than poor people, since as a matter of simple practicality they can more easily spare the money.

Plenty of rich people in relatively high-tax countries are managing both to live very comfortably and to do exciting things with their capital despite paying a higher proportion of their income/wealth in taxes. I wouldn't insult American rich people by assuming that they're not capable of similar achievements and therefore mustn't be subjected to a higher tax rate because it'll bweak their poor widdle motivations and make them feel all sad.

Meh, next time you write a check for $500k to the government we can talk. I really doubt you appreciate what it's like to do that.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Sure, but (a) not everybody who has a lot of money is productive, and (b) nobody AFAIK is seriously suggesting that taxation should take away all or even most of the money rich people have.
Does an effective 97% tax rate qualify for all or even most?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-under-sanders
Old 10-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know what the difference is between economics and geology? Nobody ever goes up to a geologist and says "Igneous rocks are bullshit!" Marginal utility isn't even a debate, it's a fundamental concept, and refusing to acknowledge it even exists disqualifies you.

Yes, you can be disqualified from a debate. Thinking you have the right to have an opinion is the real bullshit.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
You know what the difference is between economics and geology? Nobody ever goes up to a geologist and says "Igneous rocks are bullshit!" Marginal utility isn't even a debate, it's a fundamental concept, and refusing to acknowledge it even exists disqualifies you.

Yes, you can be disqualified from a debate. Thinking you have the right to have an opinion is the real bullshit.
The economic part of it is fine. But people then use it to claim how people are supposed to feel about paying huge checks to the government and from that perspective it's BS. The first time I wrote a huge check it made me question where the money went a lot more.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Thinking you have the right to have an opinion is the real bullshit.
This is in IMHO. Everyone has a right to an opinion here. You can state your opinion about their opinion, but do not tell them what they can and cannot post or can and cannot have an opinion about.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
You know what the difference is between economics and geology? Nobody ever goes up to a geologist and says "Igneous rocks are bullshit!"
Well I'll be the one to say it then. Because igneous rocks are bullshit. I simply don't believe they're rocks at all. They're just lazy liquids.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Marginal utility has been experimentally verified. And if you ever have had money (I have) it is pretty fucking obvious.

Think of how much $100 is worth to a person who has nothing in the bank and is going to use it for food. Now think how much it is worth to someone with a couple of million bucks in the bank? It's in the noise. Now think how much it is worth to Bill Gates.

The example I've heard is that the first ice cream cone or even the second on a summer day is worth a good bit - the 9th, not so much.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Nah, Derleth I'm with ya right up to where ya said, in essence, that neutro doesn't have a right to an opinion. That's the bs, not his wrong opinion. How ya gonna kick him (her?) out of the convo anyway?

My (hopefully) useful addition to this is...is...ah shoot, well we wore an onion on our belt...

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Nah, Derleth I'm with ya right up to where ya said, in essence, that neutro doesn't have a right to an opinion. That's the bs, not his wrong opinion. How ya gonna kick him (her?) out of the convo anyway?
I can't. I can, however, say that unless someone's living in the same world as me, trying to debate them is pointless.

Education is hard. Self-righteous ignorance is easy. The former can't conquer the latter until the person to be taught renounces enough ego to admit they were wrong. neutro shows no sign of that so far, so I refuse to waste my time.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I can't. I can, however, say that unless someone's living in the same world as me, trying to debate them is pointless.

Education is hard. Self-righteous ignorance is easy. The former can't conquer the latter until the person to be taught renounces enough ego to admit they were wrong. neutro shows no sign of that so far, so I refuse to waste my time.
I'm plenty educated on the subject. You seem very indignant that someone might have a different opinion.

Let's have this conversation again after you've paid some heavy taxes.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm plenty educated on the subject.
Quote:
Diminishing marginal utility is something made up
Nope, you’re not.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:19 PM
BANNED

Anyway I've had this discussion before. Soak the rich is basically the mantra of most people. I get it, but I think it's kinda gross. People will come up with all kinds of excuses as to why anyone who makes more than them should get soaked before them.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Anyway I've had this discussion before. Soak the rich is basically the mantra of most people. I get it, but I think it's kinda gross. People will come up with all kinds of excuses as to why anyone who makes more than them should get soaked before them.
"Why tax the rich?"

"Because that's where the money is."
Old 10-17-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thats a strawman argument though. Its not about punish everyone who does better than me personally, its more about making sure the top 0.1% who have gained 90% of the wealth created in the last 50 years while their taxes have been cut are seeing their tax rates go up to compensate for the tax cuts they've gotten and the increase share of wealth and income that has gone to them. The share of income and wealth controlled by the top 0.1% keeps growing while their taxes keep getting cut.

Also it is undemocratic to have a handful of extremely rich people. They can buy politicians with their pocket change. The Koch network spent 900 million in 2016, which is a huge % of total funding on politics in that year. Rich people can buy media to promote their viewpoints, they can buy politicians. They can even (in more corrupt nations) buy cops, judges and soldiers. It poses a risk to democracy itself to have a handful of rich people with too much power.

The total tax rate in the US is around 25%. About 25% of GDP is collected in tax revenue. The OECD average is around 35%, with some nations closer to 40%. I'd be fine with a rate closer to 35% that comes from taxes on the rich as well as some higher taxes on everyone else if it meant universal health care, universal long term care, addressing climate change, free public college, subsidized daycare, etc.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/site...?itok=ysJxzzyg

Some 'rich' people are paying too much in taxes if anything. People in the 500k-1mm a year household income probably pay 40% of their total income in taxes. Thats not really fair to them, esp when you consider that some companies and rich people pay no taxes or at the very least far less in taxes. However I'd fully support taxing capital gains and dividends as regular income, and a wealth tax.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:27 PM

I guess my question is whether or not there's really *that* much money to be had by sticking it to the rich more. They're not pulling their weight in terms of taxes anyway, so go for it if that's the case.

But if there's really not that much money to be had in terms of governmental tax revenue(i.e. enough to materially change the Federal budget), then it sounds like sour grapes driven retribution / class warfare to me, and that makes me more than a little bit uneasy.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I guess my question is whether or not there's really *that* much money to be had by sticking it to the rich more. They're not pulling their weight in terms of taxes anyway, so go for it if that's the case.

But if there's really not that much money to be had in terms of governmental tax revenue(i.e. enough to materially change the Federal budget), then it sounds like sour grapes driven retribution / class warfare to me, and that makes me more than a little bit uneasy.
There isn't unless you start taxing wealth. In which case you will destroy a bunch of wealth in the process.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:55 PM

So hilarious to hear a bunch of poor people defend the wealthy as if they someday think they'll be in the same strata as billionaires.

62 Billionaires possesses literally half the wealth in the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...ation-combined

I promise you billionaires and corporations don't care about you, why do you care about them? Take a look around sometime the cost of living keeps going up, but real wages are stagnant or even decreasing. When my Dad was in his twenties he was the sole provider and owned a house and two cars, and had two children, people now can't even survive let alone thrive.

Poignant clip of Noam Chomsky discussing these very issues:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPBaVcHJtjk
Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I promise you billionaires and corporations don't care about you, why do you care about them?
They'be bought the myth that wealthy people are somehow smarter and more capable than they are, and if they just let the CEO's run things one day they, too, will be billionaires.

That's bullshit, of course. Billionaires have no incentive to add to their ranks.

While there are some benevolent wealthy people out there for the most part they only care about themselves and their families, which is why they use their wealth and influence to change the system to benefit themselves. Not you. Themselves.

Why should I care about a class of people that I will never be a part of, who aren't even aware I exist?

We've been hearing about "trickle down" since Reagan was elected in 1980, but so far as I can tell that isn't wealth trickling down it's piss. The lot of the common man has NOT gotten better, if anything, it has gotten worse since the general public swallowed the notion that benefiting the wealthy would benefit everyone. It doesn't. We've had 40 years of that and that is long enough.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
62 Billionaires possesses literally half the wealth in the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...ation-combined ...

Poignant clip of Noam Chomsky discussing these very issues:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPBaVcHJtjk
I'm afraid the game of Gossip is at work here.

Your first cite cites an Oxfam report:
"a new Oxfam report showing that the 62 richest billionaires own as much wealth as the poorer half of the world’s population" [my emphasis]
but, in the headline of that same article, this mutates into
"Richest 62 people as wealthy as half of world's population, says Oxfam"
This is arguably true — it doesn't say which "half" of the world's population — but certainly misleading. And then Noam Chomsky — I thought he was a smart guy — comes up with
"[In 2015] ... 62 individuals hold half the world's wealth."
The numerator ("62 richest people") has grown even smaller since 2015, but it's the denominator that is ambiguous. Many of the world's poorest have negative net worth: are they reckoned as zero wealth in these calculations? Or negative? And much of the world's wealth is owned by governments or by non-profits, and thus not included in total individual wealth.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 PM
BANNED

As I said, I get it. Most people are fine to soak anyone who makes more than them.

A fair tax system would be dividing up the budget by the number of people and sending everyone a bill. Then people would get the government they are willing to pay for.

Anyway I'll continue to whine about paying ridiculous sums to the government. Doing anything other than whining is pointless because I know that everyone else is on the other side of the table on this one.

A flat tax with a basic deduction for everyone and a cap seems pretty reasonable to me. Say a max of $100k in taxes.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
As I said, I get it. Most people are fine to soak anyone who makes more than them.

A fair tax system would be dividing up the budget by the number of people and sending everyone a bill. Then people would get the government they are willing to pay for.
Ah, so giving the same bill to a guy flipping burgers for minimum wage and a billionaire makes sense to you? And are you absolutely sure that both these people get the same amount out of government?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:29 AM

These days the mainstream magazines are full of stories that lament the economic and social flaws of income inequality. But perhaps the real 'income inequality problem' is that incomes aren't unequal enough!

Some say that the present U.S. GINI is unprecedented. Wrong! It was higher at the height of the Roaring Twenties boom — those years were called 'Roaring' for a reason. 14th-century Paris, just before the bubonic plague struck, had a GINI estimated at 0.7. The great New Spain Empire during the 18th century also had a GINI much higher than today's U.S.

Like "P/E ratio" — which needs a 2nd parameter to be meaningful — GINI is misleading without a 2nd parameter. See, for example, this graph.

Quote:
A fair tax system would be dividing up the budget by the number of people and sending everyone a bill.
Even a flat tax, as you've defined it, might be unfair to the rich. I explained this in an earlier thread:

Quote:

Why not a truly Fair Tax?

At present Americans pay an average of $4600 in individual income taxes. It would be fair to jack up the taxes for SocSec and Medicare, which are underfunded, and borrow a few more 100's of $Million$ annually from China. Do both and we can cut the average income tax in half.

Some would say that $2300 per each person, young or old, rich or poor, would be the fairest tax. But if you think about it this discriminates against the rich.

The rich use private schools — is it really fair to make them also fund public schools? They often have their own private security — why should they have to pay as much for police as the people in crime-ridden ghettos? The rich shouldn't be forced to subsidize national parks — they vacation in the Caribbean or on the Riviera. And what sense does it make for the rich to help fund the Dept. of Labor??

A fair tax would be progressive; something like this:
* Earning less than $75,000 per year — pay $3000
* Earning $75,000 to $150,000 — pay $2500
* Earning $150,000 to $350,000 — pay $2000
* Earning $350,000 to $550,000 — pay $1500
* Earning $550,000 to $750,000 — pay $1000
Anyone earning more than $1,000,000 is probably a Job Creator. The government should be subsidizing them, not taxing them. I know the Trump plan won't accomplish all this, but it will be a big step in the right direction.

Yes, the $3000 tax would be burdensome on many freeloaders. I think the tax would motivate them to find work! And the prohibitions against cash for kidneys and other organs should be repealed of course — Win, win!
Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some say that the present U.S. GINI is unprecedented. Wrong! It was higher at the height of the Roaring Twenties boom
Well, hard to come up with more a solid financial strategy than trying to replicate the 1920's.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The great New Spain Empire during the 18th century also had a GINI much higher than today's U.S.
Sorry, which place do you mean exactly? The Virreynate of New Spain or the Spanish Empire?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Sorry, which place do you mean exactly? The Virreynate of New Spain or the Spanish Empire?
I meant New Spain. Sorry about the "Empire" — I added it foolishly thinking it might call attention to wealth transfers across the Atlantic.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:05 AM

The mantra of "tax the rich" presupposes that we can have all the programs we want (universal health care, free college tuition, a robust plan to stem climate change, infrastructure maintenance and improvements, a strong defense etc. etc.) by taxing billionaires/the 1%, while maintaining or even reducing taxes on everyone else.

This not going to fly (economically or practically), and it's highly disingenuous for politicians to claim it will.

Eventually the bill has to come due not just for "the rich", but for the well-off and middle class as well. Most people will have to feel the pain to some extent.

Honest leaders would make this clear.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
These days the mainstream magazines are full of stories that lament the economic and social flaws of income inequality. But perhaps the real 'income inequality problem' is that incomes aren't unequal enough!

Some say that the present U.S. GINI is unprecedented. Wrong! It was higher at the height of the Roaring Twenties boom — those years were called 'Roaring' for a reason. 14th-century Paris, just before the bubonic plague struck, had a GINI estimated at 0.7. The great New Spain Empire during the 18th century also had a GINI much higher than today's U.S.

Like "P/E ratio" — which needs a 2nd parameter to be meaningful — GINI is misleading without a 2nd parameter. See, for example, this graph.

Even a flat tax, as you've defined it, might be unfair to the rich. I explained this in an earlier thread:
Yes, I should be subsidized for creating jobs and get an exemption on my personal taxes for the tax my companies pay. I like that idea a lot.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
[...] I get it. Most people are fine to soak anyone who makes more than them.
You don't get it, because you continue to ignore the fact that I, and most other taxpayers, are also fine with the tax system "soaking" us more heavily than the people who make less than we do. Because the declining marginal utility of wealth/income applies to everybody, not just the wealthiest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro
Anyway I'll continue to whine about paying ridiculous sums to the government. Doing anything other than whining is pointless because I know that everyone else is on the other side of the table on this one.
Carry on; you're doing an excellent job of demonstrating the fundamental emptiness, impracticality, and groundless emotional resentment underlying your position.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You don't get it, because you continue to ignore the fact that I, and most other taxpayers, are also fine with the tax system "soaking" us more heavily than the people who make less than we do. Because the declining marginal utility of wealth/income applies to everybody, not just the wealthiest.
There are plenty of rich people that are also fine paying higher taxes. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to whine about it.

I really think the only true argument here is "might makes right" and "suck it up buttercup" which is about all I can do. I'm outvoted. I get it. But that doesn't stop me from cringing when writing the checks.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Everyone is always curious about where wealth comes from. Although I don't mind using myself as an example I'm not sure it's really fruitful to get into the details. I will say that I'm not talking about corporate anything here, this is just personal taxes I'm whining about. I typically get income from multiple entities and it's a mix of cap gains / dividends / earned income.
So you are whining about being taxes on income that you largely don't have to "do" anything to create, aside from already having enough wealth to acquire those appreciating, dividend producing assets?

Quote:
As little as we need to get the job done. And it should be done in a way that most people pay a similar amount in taxes. Note, not percentage, amount.
Just out of curiosity, why do you think people should pay a similar amount in taxes but not receive a similar amount in income? I don't think many, if anyone here has suggested outrageous, confiscatory levels of taxation for the wealthy. Just that they pay their fair share.

Also, there is a bit of debate on what the actual "job" is that Government needs to get done, which would also tend to drive how much people should be taxed.

Quote:
There are plenty of rich people that are also fine paying higher taxes. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to whine about it.

I really think the only true argument here is "might makes right" and "suck it up buttercup" which is about all I can do. I'm outvoted. I get it. But that doesn't stop me from cringing when writing the checks.
Yeah, we get it. Writing a check the size of the family income of ten average American families to the government each year is painful. But on the plus side, you get to keep the equivalent income of fifteen average American families.

Quote:
And yes having a Ferrari and a beach house does rule.
As they say, it's the best alternative to actually having a large penis.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
As they say, it's the best alternative to actually having a large penis.
Good point. You aren't born driving a Ferrari but you can earn one, unlike a giant penis which is just luck.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
So you are whining about being taxes on income that you largely don't have to "do" anything to create, aside from already having enough wealth to acquire those appreciating, dividend producing assets?
Why is it that investment capital is do disregarded?

Without the capital invested in those appreciating, dividend producing assets, there would be no jobs that those companies create, no products that society consumes or enjoys, and no corporate income taxes paid on the income that those companies' generate.

Do you believe that all companies should be ESOP's? If people can't even pony up money for 401k contributions, where do you think the capital will come from to invest in companies?