Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 AM

NFL Week 2: Electric Boogaloo

I'm not really sorry I missed posting this before Thursday's snoozefest of mediocrity. I laughed out loud when I read the NFL.com headline: "Jameis, Bucs defense shine in Carolina." Were I writing it, or would the headline author more truthful, it would read: "Jamies slightly less bad than Cam in Carolina. Bucs defense OK". Both teams did not look good last night.

Here are the remaining games this weekend:

Sunday, Sept. 15

1 p.m. Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans (CBS) TEN -3 45
1 p.m. Los Angeles Chargers at Detroit Lions (CBS) LAC -2.5 48
1 p.m. Buffalo Bills at New York Giants (CBS) BUF -2 44
1 p.m. Arizona Cardinals at Baltimore Ravens (FOX) BAL -13.5 47
1 p.m. New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins (CBS) NE -19.5 48
1 p.m. Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins (FOX) DAL -5 47
1 p.m. Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans (CBS) HOU -8.5 44
1 p.m. Seattle Seahawks at Pittsburgh Steelers (FOX) PIT -4 47
1 p.m. San Francisco 49ers at Cincinnati Bengals (FOX) CIN -1.5 45
1 p.m. Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers (FOX) GB -3 44
4:05 p.m. Kansas City Chiefs at Oakland Raiders (CBS) KC -7.5 53
4:25 p.m. New Orleans Saints at Los Angeles Rams (FOX) LAR -3 53
4:25 p.m. Chicago Bears at Denver Broncos (FOX) CHI -2.5 41
8:20 p.m. Philadelphia Eagles at Atlanta Falcons (NBC) PHI -1.5 51

Monday, Sept. 16

8:15 p.m. Cleveland Browns at New York Jets (ESPN) CLE -2.5 45

The games I'm most interested in are Vikings at the Packers (of course), Saints at Rams, Bears at the Broncos, and the Browns at the Jets. The Packers have their second straight game against a very tough defense, and the Vikings offense is likely to be less sucky than the Bears, so it will be a better test for the Packers defense. The Saints and Rams seem pretty similar, but Goff has not looked good so far and the questions about McVay's offense post-Bellicheck remain. And the Bears are a road favorite in Broncos against their last years' defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. It's a over-written story: "Vic knows just how to rattle Mitch", but I think the more important story is can Flacco and the Broncos protect the ball. Should be interesting. Finally, I have no interest in watching the Jets without their starting QB (go Trevor Sieman!!!), but I want to see if the Browns' week one meltdown was an aberration or a return to the traditional Browns form.

Last edited by Bone; 09-13-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Updated thread title at OP request
Old 09-13-2019, 08:49 AM

I hereby nominate this thread for Worst Thread Title in SDMB History.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
What have you got against B?

Just surround the B with: "NFL Week 2: Electric" and "oogaloo".

Reported for Thread Title change.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Would Snowboarder Bo-ogaloo be better?
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM

I'm slightly interested in the Pats at the Dolphins. You might think it'll be an embarrassing slaughter, but I recall that Detroit beat the Pats in their early weeks last year. There wasn't a big discussion about that when it happened (that I recall), but I'm fantasizing that the Pats maybe didn't bring their A-game against their old buddy Patricia? And knowing that Detroit is a lesser team, also didn't try quite as hard? Could they suffer the same arrogance against Miami? In addition, there is the calculation that they can afford a few losses along the way, because they know they will make the playoffs anyway, etc. I know, I know, stupid thoughts.......
Old 09-13-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I'm slightly interested in the Pats at the Dolphins. You might think it'll be an embarrassing slaughter, but I recall that Detroit beat the Pats in their early weeks last year. There wasn't a big discussion about that when it happened (that I recall), but I'm fantasizing that the Pats maybe didn't bring their A-game against their old buddy Patricia? And knowing that Detroit is a lesser team, also didn't try quite as hard? Could they suffer the same arrogance against Miami? In addition, there is the calculation that they can afford a few losses along the way, because they know they will make the playoffs anyway, etc. I know, I know, stupid thoughts.......
Haven't the Pats historically had a tough time with Miami, in Miami, early in the season? Let's see... Lost last year in Miami 33-34, though on Dec. 9. Lost the year before that, 20-27, on Dec. 11. Won in 2016 on Jan 1. Lost though in 2015, on Jan 3, 10-20.

(Don't they ever play in Miami in the summer? Talk about a gift by the NFL schedule makers...)

Moving along... Finally, they play in Miami early, Week 1 in 2014, and lose 20-33.

They seem to have a tough time down there. Then again, the Dolphins are putrid. Then, then again, 18.5-19 points is a lot of wood in a NFL game. So take the points.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-13-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:04 PM

I'd like to thank Christian McCaffrey and Cam Newton for single-handedly nuking my Week 2 pick em with 538. What an egg that was they laid at home.

How a RB can't truck a DB when he needs 1 yd to get a fresh set of downs, is beyond me. Is Cam done, or did he just run into what is looking like a decent defense in Tampa? (The Niners only scored 16 offensive points against them. Most of the damage was done by 2 pick-sixes.)
Old 09-13-2019, 05:28 PM

FWIW I like the thread title.

Also, I like that we're doing this week by week versus one giant-ass thread. I'm too lazy to see where I left off last time.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I'd like to thank Christian McCaffrey and Cam Newton for single-handedly nuking my Week 2 pick em with 538. What an egg that was they laid at home.

How a RB can't truck a DB when he needs 1 yd to get a fresh set of downs, is beyond me. Is Cam done, or did he just run into what is looking like a decent defense in Tampa? (The Niners only scored 16 offensive points against them. Most of the damage was done by 2 pick-sixes.)
Cam Newton used to be a hybrid QB/RB. That was his big claim to fame. They arenít leveraging his ability to keep the ball and run a fake to the RB and running it himself for that one yard, which makes me think he canít do it anymore. I donít think Cam has it in him, and he probably isnít going to be a starting QB much longer.

Not that you can put all the blame on him.

This was the harshest article I think Iíve ever read on SBNation, on a team page about that team:
https://www.catscratchreader.com/201...night-football

ďThereís no nice way to say this ó the Carolina Panthers played like absolute garbage at home against what should have been an inferior opponent and fell to 0-2 on the season after some of the worst football Iíve ever seen in my 10+ years of writing about this football team.Ē

Ouch! This SI article has serious questions about Camís health:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/13/ca...bay-buccaneers
Old 09-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Cam Newton used to be a hybrid QB/RB. That was his big claim to fame. They arenít leveraging his ability to keep the ball and run a fake to the RB and running it himself for that one yard, which makes me think he canít do it anymore. I donít think Cam has it in him, and he probably isnít going to be a starting QB much longer.

Not that you can put all the blame on him.

This was the harshest article I think Iíve ever read on SBNation, on a team page about that team:
https://www.catscratchreader.com/201...night-football

ďThereís no nice way to say this ó the Carolina Panthers played like absolute garbage at home against what should have been an inferior opponent and fell to 0-2 on the season after some of the worst football Iíve ever seen in my 10+ years of writing about this football team.Ē

Ouch! This SI article has serious questions about Camís health:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/13/ca...bay-buccaneers
Thanks for the links. I looked at some of the Carolina fan message boards last night, trying to find some explanation, and the consensus seemed to be that he was trying to mostly be a pocket passer now, either out of fear of injury, or just slowing down, and he's just not that good at it. Doesn't explain the rest of the team playing like crap, of course.

There's a similar situation in Houston. J.J. Watt, for all of being the best defensive lineman since Reggie White, isn't nearly the devastating presence he was if he doesn't rush inside. And he doesn't do much of that anymore. The suspicion is that he's suffered a lot of wear and tear---I think his next major injury will be his last as an NFL player---and rushing up the middle takes too much out of him.

Which is a pity, and explains why the Texans didn't try using Whitney Mercilus, J.D. Clowney on the edges, and Watt up the middle like everyone anticipated. Instead, we got to see the spectacle of watching alternately Mercilus or Clowney drop back into pass coverage. While it occasionally works (see Mercilus with the INT last week), it's not optimal at all.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
FWIW I like the thread title.

Also, I like that we're doing this week by week versus one giant-ass thread. I'm too lazy to see where I left off last time.
I agree completely. I hate super long threads. Week by week seems to work for the NFL just as the monthly threads do for MLB and the NHL.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Love the way this guy writes:

...while some of that blame goes on the putrid offensive line that couldnít block someone on social media
Old 09-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

The meltdown the Browns had last week was almost all mental/discipline. There wasn't anything unfixable in that mess except maybe the O-line being a problem. They started out well, and then just fell apart after a few penalties and started getting out of control. That's definitely the sign of a cultural problem, but the good news is that that's the sort of thing you can just sort of step back, get your shit together, and move on from. So they have a chance to just choose to turn it around, or to turn inwards and become a toxic mess, and it really could go either way.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
The meltdown the Browns had last week was almost all mental/discipline. There wasn't anything unfixable in that mess except maybe the O-line being a problem. They started out well, and then just fell apart after a few penalties and started getting out of control. That's definitely the sign of a cultural problem, but the good news is that that's the sort of thing you can just sort of step back, get your shit together, and move on from. So they have a chance to just choose to turn it around, or to turn inwards and become a toxic mess, and it really could go either way.
I think Cleveland has talent, they just need to execute better. Maybe if the right players step up and act as leaders they can be a really good team and not just a group of really good players.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
... And the Bears are a road favorite in Broncos against their last years' defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. It's a over-written story: "Vic knows just how to rattle Mitch", but I think the more important story is can Flacco and the Broncos protect the ball. Should be interesting. ...
I am no football strategist, today's game might prove that. (as if it needed to be proved.) But the Bears' defense is what they pride themselves on recently. If Vic Fangio (Denver) has their number, they could be in trouble this week, too. Especially if the Bears' offense stinks the joint up again, like last week. C'mon Bears, you've already ruined the goal of winning every game this season, let's try for all but one!
Old 09-15-2019, 01:52 PM

The Bengals are going to seriously win some games if they can stop committing penalties!
Old 09-15-2019, 04:31 PM

I I'd not expect to type the words: "The Packers win again thanks to their defense", but here we are. After a very promising 1st quarter, their offense did not come through. While the use, and success of, the running game was very encouraging, they really need to perform better. Games with that kind of start, and that poor play by the opposing QB, should not be that close.

Still, 2-0 with two wins against the toughest teams in your division is a good place to be.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Good lord the dolphins are bad.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Good Lord, the Redskins are bad. Gruden’s sear got hotter and we will be seeing Haskins too soon.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
The Bengals are going to seriously win some games if they can stop committing penalties!
Seriously?
Old 09-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
Good lord the dolphins are bad.
I keep expecting one of their plays to be called ďDraft Pick 1Ē.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:52 PM

Looks like the refs are again stealing a win away from New Orleans in a rematch against the Rams. They blow a play dead when it’s a clear fumble that was almost guaranteed to be returned for a TD. Instead they screw up, blow the whistle, and pin the Saints deep into their own side of the field.

Score is 6-3 Rams at the half, it should be 10-3 Saints. The officials are really getting egg on their face in the “game of the week”. Not good.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Seriously?
At that moment in time, yes. Now, no. My team has a serious O-Line talent deficit. If Andre Smith, recently signed off the trash heap is suddenly thrust into the LT role, you know your team sucks.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:34 PM

I heard Chris Spielman say during the Bengals game that after the 49ers had a TD called back for holding that that made FOUR TD's in a game and a half that they've had called back for holding. They were called for holding at LEAST six times against the Bengals. Conclusion: holding all the time is a key to their offensive success. I saw multiple instances where it happened and wasn't called, and no, I wasn't imagining it with orange and black glasses on. Weird sidenote anyway. Four TD's called back for holding in a game and a half? Really? That's fucking crazy!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:34 PM

Ugh. I appreciate good defensive football, but incompetent offenses are a pain to watch. Can I please just be assigned to read a 900 page novel about rural life in Russia in the 1900's rather than watch the Bears v. Broncos?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:52 PM

How much are the Broncos paying Flacco? Because it's far too much. If you can't hit a wide open back in the flat...
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 PM

Jesus fuck, this is ugly.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:32 PM

That was hideous, but it brought a smile to my facr.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:34 PM

The sheer level of incompetence between all the teams and the officials was painful, but nice to see a Bears kicker get a big one.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:39 PM

Broncos: Here, you win.

Bears: No, you win!

Broncos: Thanks. Oops, no you win.

Bears: OK , we will. Dammit. You go ahead and win.

Broncos: Fine. We will.

Officials: Not so fast. Bears, you guys can win.

Pinero: I guess....
Old 09-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Your Ad Here
Charter Member

As a Broncos fan, that's about what I expected.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 PM

OK, somebody explain to me what happened on the Bronco's extra point try.

Denver lines up to go for two, at the 3 yard line. But they have a delay of game, so it's a five yard penalty. So they now decide to kick the extra point. Normally an extra point try is spotted at the 15, so with the 5 yard penalty, it's moved to the 20.

The extra point kick is missed, but Chicago is offside. So now Denver decides to go for two. But where is the ball spotted?

The ball is spotted at the 1 1/2, which is half the distance from the original spot at the 3. But Denver had already been penalized. How come the Chicago penalty was enforced from the original spot? If the penalties offset each other, the ball should have been back at the 3 yard line.

Or, consider this: Denver lines up to go for two, but is penalized for delay of game. They still go for two, but now from the 8 after the penalty. Then Chicago jumps offside, and the penalty is enforced half the distance to the 4 yard line.

I am baffled as to why the ball went to the 1 1/2. What am I missing? Can somebody explain?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 PM

I’m guessing the refs just didn’t care anymore and like everyone else they just wanted to get out of there.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:04 AM

As a Colts fan, I'm starting to become worried about Adam Vinitieri. He's been uncharacteristically ineffective through the first 2 games.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
As a Colts fan, I'm starting to become worried about Adam Vinitieri. He's been uncharacteristically ineffective through the first 2 games.
That was a good win though. That's my #2 team right there, thanks to my son. I mean...we DO live in Indiana after all...
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I heard Chris Spielman say during the Bengals game that after the 49ers had a TD called back for holding that that made FOUR TD's in a game and a half that they've had called back for holding. They were called for holding at LEAST six times against the Bengals. Conclusion: holding all the time is a key to their offensive success. I saw multiple instances where it happened and wasn't called, and no, I wasn't imagining it with orange and black glasses on. Weird sidenote anyway. Four TD's called back for holding in a game and a half? Really? That's fucking crazy!
Not all holding calls. One was Illegal Formation with the RT allegedly lining up too far back (it was BS). Another was a super ticky-tack OPI on the fullback when the TD receiver was 10 or 15 yards away. The holding calls negating TDs in that game and this were legit. The Buccaneers also had two TDs negated by penalties.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's a good chance he retires today, so you should be worrying about his replacement.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
There's a good chance he retires today, so you should be worrying about his replacement.
I was really hoping heíd be the first NFL player to play until heís 50. Now we have to see if Brady does it.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Double Doink is available, I believe.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Please take Randy Bullock away from my team!
Old 09-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Drew Brees is out for awhile too, with thumb ligament surgery pending.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Drew Brees is out for awhile too, with thumb ligament surgery pending.
Estimate is 6 weeks to recover. Is it possible that Atlanta might have the NFC South this year?

Meanwhile the NFC West has 3 teams undefeated so far.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
OK, somebody explain to me what happened on the Bronco's extra point try.

Denver lines up to go for two, at the 3 yard line. But they have a delay of game, so it's a five yard penalty. So they now decide to kick the extra point. Normally an extra point try is spotted at the 15, so with the 5 yard penalty, it's moved to the 20.

The extra point kick is missed, but Chicago is offside. So now Denver decides to go for two. But where is the ball spotted?

The ball is spotted at the 1 1/2, which is half the distance from the original spot at the 3. But Denver had already been penalized. How come the Chicago penalty was enforced from the original spot? If the penalties offset each other, the ball should have been back at the 3 yard line.

Or, consider this: Denver lines up to go for two, but is penalized for delay of game. They still go for two, but now from the 8 after the penalty. Then Chicago jumps offside, and the penalty is enforced half the distance to the 4 yard line.

I am baffled as to why the ball went to the 1 1/2. What am I missing? Can somebody explain?
Dug around on Reddit, and apparently this is a weird quirk of the rule change when they moved the extra point back. Since the offense now has to choose which they are going for, they also choose where to apply the penalty. The penalty doesn't apply to both spots. So they put the first penalty on the kick and the second penalty on the 2 point conversion.

The refs actually got it right. Here's an example from last year's rulebook:
Quote:

On a 2-point Try from the B2, runner A3 scores, but tackle A8 is called for holding. Team A elects to have the 10- yard penalty enforced from the B15 and attempt a kick-try from the B25. Before the snap for the kick, B3 encroaches.

Ruling: Retry from the B20 (kick) or B1 (run or pass). Team A always has the option to enforce a Team B foul from the previous spot or the other try spot. The other try spot does not change, regardless of any penalty enforced during previous try attempts. Team A, after enforcement, can also choose where the ball is spotted between the hash marks.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Broncos: Here, you win.

Bears: No, you win!

Broncos: Thanks. Oops, no you win.

Bears: OK , we will. Dammit. You go ahead and win.

Broncos: Fine. We will.

Officials: Not so fast. Bears, you guys can win.

Pinero: I guess....
Seems about right
Old 09-16-2019, 10:58 PM

The Jets new uniforms look like some bad college team that loses to Boise.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:57 AM

How many QBs are out for the season now? They're dropping like rocks in a pond.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-17-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:19 AM

Mayfield did not inspire confidence in me in the first half, sailing balls 20 yards over his target's head. On one 3rd down in FG territory he wildly missed a wide open OBJ and you just know Odell was thinking "Jesus Christ, even Eli could have hit that one." I

Chubb looks great.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

The Jets employed a clever tactic to get Baker off his game.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Think it's about time for him to call it a career. He had an amazing run.

FGIE, I'm sorry to that you all in Cincinnati are getting to see why the Texans got rid of 'Fat Randy.' Tough job, to be an NFL kicker. A good one, anyway.

Congrats on the win, Beef.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
The Jets new uniforms look like some bad college team that loses to Boise.
I disagree, I thought their new uniforms looked pretty good.

I thought it was the only part of the Jets that looked good.