Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
NRCC Launches Fake News Sites to Attack Democratic Candidates.

What makes this not only dishonest but stupid is that this is the same NRCC that got caught earlier this year putting up fake websites purporting to be those of Dem candidates (they had to take them down because of public reaction).
I know I'm a political babe-in-the-woods but aren't attack ads paid political advertisments supposed to announce that fact? You know - "Paid for by souless Koch Brothers covert political operatives" or some such??
Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
I know I'm a political babe-in-the-woods but aren't attack ads paid political advertisments supposed to announce that fact? You know - "Paid for by souless Koch Brothers covert political operatives" or some such??
I guess fine print at the bottom is okay. I read recently if people read all the fine print in their lives it would take a hundred years.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Mississippi Republican Senate candidate Chris McDaniel is still challenging the results of the primary, which incumbent Thad Cochran won (which McDaniel refuses to accept). McDaniel's lawyer, Mitch Tyner, produced a list of primary voters whose votes they are challenging. Among the names on the list are Tyner and his wife.
Can somebody explain to me how it works, to challenge the ballot cast by a specific voter? Do they disqualify the voter, then ASK how he voted and subtract it from the total of the candidate he names?

I can see the potential for some mischief that way.

But no, that CAN'T be it! How does it work, really?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 PM

kaylasdad99: There was a case, some decades ago (sorry, only citing from memory from Time magazine) where an election was challenged. It came down to a very few votes. In the course of the lawsuit, it came out that the right to a secret ballot is not a constitutionally guaranteed right.

The judge asked one voter how he had voted. The man refused to answer. The judge pressed him, under threat of contempt. The man stood his ground. And he was penalized (but not heavily, the judge not being a monster.)

The secrecy of the ballot is a treasured tradition...but it isn't actually a "right."

(Maybe this has been changed since then...)
Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Well, first they come to your house and take your kid's pet rabbit out of the hutch in the back yard. Then, they...
Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can somebody explain to me how it works, to challenge the ballot cast by a specific voter? Do they disqualify the voter, then ASK how he voted and subtract it from the total of the candidate he names?

I can see the potential for some mischief that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
kaylasdad99: There was a case, some decades ago (sorry, only citing from memory from Time magazine) where an election was challenged. It came down to a very few votes. In the course of the lawsuit, it came out that the right to a secret ballot is not a constitutionally guaranteed right.

The judge asked one voter how he had voted. The man refused to answer. The judge pressed him, under threat of contempt. The man stood his ground. And he was penalized (but not heavily, the judge not being a monster.)

The secrecy of the ballot is a treasured tradition...but it isn't actually a "right."

(Maybe this has been changed since then...)

So what's to stop a losing candidate from gathering enough confederates to swing the election his way, successfully challenging their ballots, and getting them to say they voted for the other guy?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
So what's to stop a losing candidate from gathering enough confederates to swing the election his way, successfully challenging their ballots, and getting them to say they voted for the other guy?
Personal integrity.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
That Geoff always was a jerk.
Don't you mean a geork?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Personal integrity.
If our democracy is relying on the honor system, we're in big trouble.

I agree, this is a ridiculous situation where you can vote for candidate A, then claim you voted for candidate B and deduct a vote from the total. On what basis are these votes considered invalid?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
On what basis are these votes considered invalid?
They didn't vote for the candidate making the challenge.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Just so no one gets a completely wrong idea about how vote challenging works, AIUI a vote must be shown to have been invalid in some way per election laws. For instance, if a particular ballot is alleged to be spoiled, or if a voter is alleged to have been ineligible to vote in some way, that would be a legitimate challenge.

OTOH, the one cite I've seen which talked about this particular effort listed a challenge to the vote of one of Thad Cochrane's campaign people, who is alleged to have had "no reason for casting an absentee ballot." If the challenges are mostly at that level, I hope a judiciary smackdown is in store for the challenger.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
OTOH, the one cite I've seen which talked about this particular effort listed a challenge to the vote of one of Thad Cochrane's campaign people, who is alleged to have had "no reason for casting an absentee ballot." If the challenges are mostly at that level, I hope a judiciary smackdown is in store for the challenger.
I hope they stick him for all of the costs associated with this farce.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:45 PM

There is apparently some vague language in the law saying that a voter for a primary candidate must intend to vote for that candidate in the general, but from what I've read it is considered unenforceable.

If I had to make up a way to challenge votes, I would look into the voting history of everyone who voted in the Republican primary, and see if they have a past history of voting in Republican or Democratic primaries (there might be a way to do this, or maybe not), and if they have a history of voting in Democratic primaries, I'd challenge the vote in hopes of getting a direct admission that they were crossing party lines just to spoil the "integrity" of the Republican primary.

Last edited by Boyo Jim; 08-14-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

In a bid to get his own Stupid Idea of the Day thread, Rep Steve King says racial profiling isn't a problem in Ferguson MO.

Quote:
It looks to me like you don't need to bother with that particular factor because they all appear to be of a single, you know, of a single origin, I should say, a continental origin might be the way to phrase that.
Bolding mine.

No word on the size of the protestors calves.

Last edited by yanceylebeef; 08-14-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM

I'm guessing they were the size of watermelons.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Don't exaggerate.
Quote:
Rep. Steve King, Republican of Iowa, falls into the latter category. In July he made the ridiculous, now notorious claim that for every child of illegal immigrants “who’s a valedictorian, there’s another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds and they’ve got calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert.”
Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
We’re asking, Father, for two things. We’re asking, Father, that you would expose them, set division amongst them, set them one against another, bring confusion and fear into their camp, into their thinking, for the purpose of pulling them down, for casting them down out of their high offices and reducing them, Lord, to having no power in this state. So, Lord, that you might raise up and seek the righteous in the positions of power that this state might once more be a state that honors you in all that it does.
In some parts of the country, this is actually a common attitude among evangelicals towards anyone who won't join their group and submit to their authority. They claim to be all about Jesus, but really they use their beliefs to justify hate. Funny, eh?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

More Steve King, this time on the police riots in Ferguson:
Quote:
"This idea of no racial profiling," King said, "I've seen the video. It looks to me like you don't need to bother with that particular factor because they all appear to be of a single, you know, of a single origin, I should say, a continental origin might be the way to phrase that."
Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Rush Limbaugh says Robin Williams apparent suicide is due to the fact that Leftists are never happy.

Quote:
"He had everything, everything that you would think would make you happy. But it didn't." Now, what is the left's worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it's one of pessimism and darkness, sadness. They're never happy, are they? They're always angry about something. No matter what they get, they're always angry
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Sniped. Four posts above yours.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Sez a county commissioner in Alabama:
Quote:
“The Ten Commandments is a historical document and it has nothing to do with religion.'

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 08-15-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Sith Mod

"Continental origin?" Is he suggesting the protestors are French?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
"This idea of no racial profiling," King said, "I've seen the video. It looks to me like you don't need to bother with that particular factor because they all appear to be of a single, you know, of a single origin, I should say, a continental origin might be the way to phrase that."
Mais ouis, Monsieur!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM

So, then calves the size of aubergine?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBum View Post
Rush Limbaugh says Robin Williams apparent suicide is due to the fact that Leftists are never happy.

Quote:
"He had everything, everything that you would think would make you happy. But it didn't." Now, what is the left's worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it's one of pessimism and darkness, sadness. They're never happy, are they? They're always angry about something. No matter what they get, they're always angry
So is this Rush's way of telling the world that he's a liberal now?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sez a county commissioner in Alabama:
Quote:
“The Ten Commandments is a historical document and it has nothing to do with religion.'
Somebody ought to let him know that our historical forebears have got no business COMMANDING us to do jack shit.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeshaJoy View Post
So is this Rush's way of telling the world that he's a liberal now?
And pray tell, what does he think of drug addicts (of which he is one)?

Rush just loves to hear himself talk and just seems to like to throw in the subject of liberals on any topic it seems
Old 08-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

He was driven to his drug habit by liberals, its just because he loved America too much. Or was that the other poisonous shitass?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Michigan governor Rick Snyder, on the flooding in Detroit and the crumbling of the highways: "I feel your pain. We had damage to our lake house and to our vacation home."
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Breaking news: Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power

Quote:
A special prosecutor spent months calling witnesses and presenting evidence that Perry broke the law when he promised publicly to nix $7.5 million over two years for the public integrity unit, which is run by Travis County District Rosemary Lehmberg's office.
The part I'm sure Bricker and other conservatives will focus on:

Quote:
No one disputes that he is allowed to veto measures approved by the Legislature, including part or all of the state budget. But the left-leaning Texans for Public Justice government watchdog group filed an ethics complaint accusing the governor of coercion since he threatened to use his veto before actually doing so in an attempt to pressure Lehmberg to quit.
Legally he did nothing wrong, but it looks bad when the governor is apparently using his powers to punish his political opponents. Plus, if he couldn't fire her outright, it seems like obvious abuse if he's trying to coerce her into quitting. Since he apparently made the threat in public and before his actual veto, this seems like a pretty open and shut case. My liberal senses are tingling in hope for Perry running for president from his jail cell!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I hope Perry remembers he has the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney and.... some third thing that slips my mind.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
Breaking news: Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power

The part I'm sure Bricker and other conservatives will focus on:

Legally he did nothing wrong, but it looks bad when the governor is apparently using his powers to punish his political opponents. Plus, if he couldn't fire her outright, it seems like obvious abuse if he's trying to coerce her into quitting. Since he apparently made the threat in public and before his actual veto, this seems like a pretty open and shut case. My liberal senses are tingling in hope for Perry running for president from his jail cell!
Seems pretty weak tea, especially for Texas politics. Heck, even if he was convicted "of something", most of the appelate judges owe him their offices.

Personaly, I'd indict him for those foolish glasses.

Last edited by smithsb; 08-15-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
Breaking news: Rick Perry indicted for abuse of power.
Wait, how is this a stupid Republican idea?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
If you are running for President, it is stupid to commit a felony that could get you 99 years in the slammer?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems pretty weak tea, especially for Texas politics....
Tonight, Molly Ivins is drinking bourbon with Mark Twain and they are cracking each other up with jokes about Rick Perry and Texas politics....
Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'd indict him for those foolish glasses.
They have a teleprompter embedded. No more forgetting the third thing.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I think it's probably safe to assume that our vast national security apparatus is not on high alert looking for Osama bin Laden anymore.
I understand that part of the world is home to cougars, packs of coyotes, alligators, scorpions, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and poisonous spiders. And not one of them could step up to the plate and take a chunk out of this guy while he splashed around in the water? Thanks, animal kingdom.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBum View Post

Well, that and helping his girl friend get an abortion.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
In this case, I think we're just regarding this as the "Stupid Republicans" thread. I doubt Ricky will serve time, but we're hoping for a Rick Perry Mug Shot. And new material for Jon Stewart.

For a Stupid Republican Trick, check out Perry's photo op with National Guardsmen at Bastrop (far from the Border but on a facility were protesting is not allowed).

Quote:
There was no talk about rules of engagement, or what exactly the troops will be doing, or how long they will be on the border. When asked when they might be deployed, Perry said he didn’t want to tip the cartels off.

We did learn about the federal government’s inability to secure the border and how the good people of Iowa and South Carolina, not just Texas, are scarred by illegal immigration. Incidentally Iowa and South Carolina are key presidential primary states that Perry has been barnstorming in the past few weeks, always a few steps behind the competition Sen. Ted Cruz.

The “border crisis” has provided plenty of “enhanced optics” for Perry’s presidential ambitions. Lately, Perry’s been enjoying a political boost from the “border crisis” and it’s no secret he’s considering a 2016 presidential bid. Since he announced last month that he’d send 1,000 National Guard soldiers to the border, the governor has received standing ovations from some GOP voters. Never mind that the influx of Central American children and families, which constitute the recent “border crisis,” are mostly presenting themselves to immigration officials and asking for asylum.
And never mind that the Border counties don't want the National Guard (whose deployment will cost Texas 2 Million a month) They tend to vote Democrat, anyway....

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 08-16-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 AM

I'd say turning portions of your own state into something that looks like land occupied by a foreign power is a stupid Republican trick of the first order.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Somebody ought to let him know that our historical forebears have got no business COMMANDING us to do jack shit.
Yeah, and tell Edmund Burke that, too.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Aren't the National Guard (I'm English) basically reserve milita units, not full time?

So doesn't calling them up involve dragging people away from their families and jobs. I'd be pretty pissed to be called away from home for a Governors photo-op.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeptfordX View Post
Aren't the National Guard (I'm English) basically reserve milita units, not full time?

So doesn't calling them up involve dragging people away from their families and jobs. I'd be pretty pissed to be called away from home for a Governors photo-op.
Unless that's more or less what you're paid to do. NG sits around a lot.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

From your good friends at Crooks and Liars

Billboard With Giant Set Of Testicles Asks Who 'Has The Balls To Impeach Obama'

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/08/bi...s-asks-who-has

Quote:
...The picture is seen under the words "DOES ANYONE IN CONGRESS HAVE A SET OF THESE." The opposite side of the sign shows an unflattering caricature of President Obama and reads, "IMPEACHMENT NOW."...
Sorry, gals, no mention of ovaries....
Old 08-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Iowa state legislator (R) arrested for having sex with his mentally incapacitated wife despite having been told by a judge to stop doing it.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I hope Perry remembers he has the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney and.... some third thing that slips my mind.
...the right to sing the blues?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

The right to party? You gotta fight for that one.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM

So the Republicans are finally putting their theoretical approval of rape into practice. Figures.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM

Republican legislator and mentally incapacitated wife. Isn't that an oxymoron? Or just redundant?

Last edited by levdrakon; 08-18-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Ohio wingnut has thing about boobies:
Quote:
At least six bare-breasted women and other supporters of the Foxhole North club marched in front of the New Beginnings Ministries church in Warsaw earlier this month after the church spent nine years coming to their club to protest nudity.

Dr. Patrick Johnson, who is director of the anti-abortion group Personhood Ohio, responded to the protests by asking Ohioans to call the legislature in support of banning “all public nudity in the state,” according to WSYX.

“I am sick that women can legally bare their breasts to children and to married men against their will in Ohio,” he wrote on his Facebook page following last week’s protest.

He also argued that women with exposed breasts were the reason that Ohio’s Gay Pride parade was so popular.

“The gay pride parade in Columbus is 500,000 strong – why? Because the women go topless,” he insisted on Facebook.