Old 03-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A pro-Trump "artist" (see the accompanying picture of his "art" in the link) is suing the Smithsonian because they refuse to hang his painting of Individual 1, a bald eagle, and the planet Earth. He says he will go to the Supreme Court to force the Smithsonian to allow him his First Amendment rights to hang whatever works he thinks he should be allowed to hang.
That's great. Let's find a first grader's fingerpaints and go to court to force art museums to hang it on their walls.
https://mavenroundtable.io/theintell...0665TveIKiwgA/
This does sum up many right-wingers thoughts on "free speech".

What they mean by it is "I should be free to say whatever I want with no consequences, and private business should be made to provide me a platform in which to say it."
Old 03-13-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Fake death threats are only newsworthy when a lefty does it. When it's a right wing troglodyte, that's not news. Just look away. Nothing to see here. Business as usual.
Well, it is kind of a man-bites-dog-vs-dog-bites-man situation.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
This does sum up many right-wingers thoughts on "free speech".

What they mean by it is "I should be free to say whatever I want with no consequences, and private business should be made to provide me a platform in which to say it."
Well, the Smithsonian isn't a private business, but otherwise ...
Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Well, the Smithsonian isn't a private business, but otherwise ...
<Republican sign in rally> Keep your darn government hands off my Smithsonian!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Fake death threats are only newsworthy when a lefty does it. When it's a right wing troglodyte, that's not news. Just look away. Nothing to see here. Business as usual.
IOW a nothingberder with fries.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
What the ever loving fuck is "chad nationalism"? White supremacy with penny loafers?
The story links to a RW glossary that is kind helpful; make of it what you will,
Chad
Meaning: Chad Thundercock—or just “chad”—is a derogatory name given to attractive men who are sexually successful with women.

Etymology: The origin of the meaning of “chad” is murky, but it was probably popularized on 4chan, the imageboard also home to the Anonymous hacker collective. It rose out of the depths of the internet around 2013 but only reached alt-right consciousness in the last year or so. (You might have seen the “virgin walk” memes floating around, for example.)

Today the place you’ll see “chad” most often is on the subreddit r/Incels, which is a depressing mix of self-loathing, self-pity, and misogyny. Chads are the ubiquitous successful object of envy for this community: attractive, smart, successful, and always lucky with women. The idea is used to reinforce the notion that celibacy is involuntary; incels think the only reason why women won’t sleep with them is because they don’t look like chads, as women are shallow and will always go for chads.
gotta love 4chan
Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A pro-Trump "artist" (see the accompanying picture of his "art" in the link) is suing the Smithsonian because they refuse to hang his painting of Individual 1, a bald eagle, and the planet Earth. He says he will go to the Supreme Court to force the Smithsonian to allow him his First Amendment rights to hang whatever works he thinks he should be allowed to hang.
That's great. Let's find a first grader's fingerpaints and go to court to force art museums to hang it on their walls.
https://mavenroundtable.io/theintell...0665TveIKiwgA/
Representatives for the Smithsonian responded that they would have displayed Raven’s submission, but for the fact that “our refrigerator is in the shop right now.”

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 03-13-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Brian Kilmeade isn't impressed that Beto O'Rourke reads books.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-an...-reads-books/?
Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Ahhh. The triumph of the willfully ignorant.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Ahhh. The triumph of the willfully ignorant.
Readin' and book larnin' is for LOSERS! Do YOU want Albert Einstein flyin' YOUR plane? I didn't think so.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Readin' and book larnin' is for LOSERS! Do YOU want Albert Einstein flyin' YOUR plane? I didn't think so.
And later on in the broadcast when he was asked to name pies for Pi Day, he stammers...then finally blurts out "Drakes Cakes"? Priceless!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
He also couldn't name a favorite pie . . . just when you think SNL parodies are over the top, real life comes through.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
And later on in the broadcast when he was asked to name pies for Pi Day, he stammers...then finally blurts out "Drakes Cakes"? Priceless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
He also couldn't name a favorite pie . . . just when you think SNL parodies are over the top, real life comes through.
Even better.
Quote:
“That’s a cake,” Doocy shouted as co-host Ainsley Earhardt stared into the camera.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
How is this guy able to function in society?

"Hey there buddy - what's your favourite pie"

"ummmm derp derp... CAKE!"

I mean, it does not sound like he's qualified to bag groceries at the Piggly Wiggly.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
The story links to a RW glossary that is kind helpful; make of it what you will,
Chad
Meaning: Chad Thundercock—or just “chad”—is a derogatory name given to attractive men who are sexually successful with women.

Etymology: The origin of the meaning of “chad” is murky, but it was probably popularized on 4chan, the imageboard also home to the Anonymous hacker collective. It rose out of the depths of the internet around 2013 but only reached alt-right consciousness in the last year or so. (You might have seen the “virgin walk” memes floating around, for example.)

Today the place you’ll see “chad” most often is on the subreddit r/Incels, which is a depressing mix of self-loathing, self-pity, and misogyny. Chads are the ubiquitous successful object of envy for this community: attractive, smart, successful, and always lucky with women. The idea is used to reinforce the notion that celibacy is involuntary; incels think the only reason why women won’t sleep with them is because they don’t look like chads, as women are shallow and will always go for chads.
gotta love 4chan
In Chicago, people have been calling preppy handsome-but-dumb twenty-somethings, who attended college but picked up more girls than learning and now live in the trendy areas of the city, Chads for a few decades, long before there were any incels inside. The women of the same sort are Trixies.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
How is this guy able to function in society?

"Hey there buddy - what's your favourite pie"

"ummmm derp derp... CAKE!"

I mean, it does not sound like he's qualified to bag groceries at the Piggly Wiggly.
This is also the guy that drilled a toddler in the face with a basketball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhEJjSJLf7c
Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Since Bobby Moynihan---who played Kilmeade as a sub-moronic cretin barely able to figure out how to sit on a couch---left, they don't do the Fox & Friends parodies anymore. It's a shame, as the "lists of corrections" that used to take up most of the sketches always contained some laugh-out-loud gems.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:12 PM

The official GOP Twitter account posted a picture of Beto O'Rourke's mug shot from his DUI arrest years ago, identifying him as Robert Francis O'Rourke (because they hate that his lifetime nickname is Beto), with a green Irish hat photoshopped (badly) on his head, to wish us a Happy St. Patrick's Day.
https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1107314663023353864
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The official GOP Twitter account posted a picture of Beto O'Rourke's mug shot from his DUI arrest years ago, identifying him as Robert Francis O'Rourke (because they hate that his lifetime nickname is Beto), with a green Irish hat photoshopped (badly) on his head, to wish us a Happy St. Patrick's Day.
https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1107314663023353864
The image plays on anti-Irish bigotry, according to many:

Quote:
O’Rourke’s Republican opponents frequently invoke his Irish heritage to imply that he adopted his nickname, a common Spanish shortening of Roberto, in an effort to pander to Latino voters. ...
Still, some on the right persist in referring to O’Rourke as "Robert Francis O’Rourke" on social media. But linking O’Rourke’s arrest for a drunk driving car crash to his Irish heritage appears to be a new and truly bigoted innovation.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...-beto-orourke/

Jeet Heer offered an interesting discussion of that element of the white-supremacist right that considers some groups---including Irish-Americans---to fail the 'whiteness test':

Quote:
You might think that the "whiteness" of Irish Catholics or Ashkenazi Jews was settled a long time ago in America, say 1945 at the latest. But in fact, there's an element of the right that has never been fully comfortable with that expansion of whiteness.

This can be most clearly seen in the writing of the late Samuel T. Francis, the paleo-conservative thinker whose writings of 1980s and 1990s anticipate Trumpism in many ways. Francis always made a distinction between White Anglo Protestant core America & rest.

In his book Beautiful Losers (1994) Francis located the weakness of postwar Conservative intellectual movement in fact that white anglo-Protestant core was underrepresented and it was dominated by Catholics (Buckley) and Jews (Strauss).
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1107350881815744512

So, the official GOP account is, at the very least, trafficking in stereotypes---if not outright offering aid and comfort to the whitest of white supremacists. Nice work.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 AM

Are the GOP sure they want to start trading pictures of people arrested for criminal behavior?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Sigh ... Dubya. Cheney twice.

Not that it matters to them.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
identifying him as Robert Francis O'Rourke (because they hate that his lifetime nickname is Beto)
I first learned that 'Beto' was nickname and a gimmick to get latino votes, from Rafael Cruz.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:01 AM

Just a sitting member of Congress joking about having a civil war in the United States and predicting who would win (and not noticing that his state is on the losing side).
Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Steve “King”? Did the colonies fight a war to ...
Old 03-18-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Are the GOP sure they want to start trading pictures of people arrested for criminal behavior?
People responded by posting images of Matt Gaetz.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Maine state legislator says giving female prisoners access to adequate menstrual products would turn the prisons into a country club. He's also a police chief.
http://mainebeacon.com/maine-gop-rep...country-clubs/
Old 03-18-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Maine state legislator says giving female prisoners access to adequate menstrual products would turn the prisons into a country club. He's also a police chief.
http://mainebeacon.com/maine-gop-rep...country-clubs/
I can totally see a woman planning a doomed crime-spree around her cycle:

My period is due in two weeks. If I rob the 7-11, they'll probably catch up with me right around then, and I won't need to buy any supplies. Win!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Remember when congressional Republicans kept grilling Michael Cohen about whether he was going to write a book? It wasn't because they were concerned that he was profiting off his crimes: they just think literacy is a character flaw.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Devin Nunes is suing Twitter for allowing people to make fun of him.

Sounds to me like someone needs a safe space.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

Not a bright move, Devin (not that that's any surprise). Geez, even Fox News is disseminating the gibes you're trying to bury, such as:

Quote:
One tweet from the account, cited by the complaint, contained a crude drawing of Russian President Vladimir Putin, President Trump, and Nunes in a physically linked, symbiotic arrangement like the characters in the horror film "The Human Centipede (First Sequence)."
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 AM

Stupid Republican Russian idea of the day

Is this next in thump's playbook?

"Russia Criminalizes The Spread Of Online News Which 'Disrespects' The Government"
Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a new law which will allow the punishment of individuals and online media for spreading what Russia calls "fake news" and information which "disrespects" the state.

The new rules allow prosecutors to direct complaints about material considered insulting to Russian officials to the government, which can then block websites publishing the information. Publications that repeatedly spread "unreliable" information which undermines social order, may face fines of up to $23,000, and repeat offenders could spend time in jail, according to The Washington Post.

The laws will target online information that presents "clear disrespect for society, government, state symbols, the constitution and government institutions."
You know he'd like to...
Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Also, someone should have clued him in on the Streisand Effect.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Stupid Republican Russian idea of the day

Is this next in thump's playbook?

"Russia Criminalizes The Spread Of Online News Which 'Disrespects' The Government"
You know he'd like to...
He's got a better chance of pulling it off than any previous President, unfortunately.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here's the hilarious part (from the article I read on TPM):

Quote:
In the complaint filed on Monday, Nunes alleges that Twitter has a history of “knowingly hosting and monetizing content that is clearly abusive, hateful and defamatory – providing both a voice and financial incentive to the defamers – thereby facilitating defamation on its platform,” the lawsuit reads. Nunes attorney told Fox News that the suit is designed to “hold Twitter fully accountable for it’s abusive behavior and misconduct.”
Why, that behavior sounds like a certain pResident we all know!
Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 PM

As ridiculous as Devin Nunes himself may be, we should realize that the tactic of using lawsuits to silence dissent is tried and true. The Gawker case* has provided inspiration for many on the right.

Forcing people who say something you don't like into court---where they will face all the associated costs of both time and money---is a great way of muzzling them.

Quote:
... In 2016, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection[5] as a direct result of the monetary judgement against the company related to the Hulk Hogan sex tape lawsuit.[6] On August 16, 2016, Gawker and all its brands were acquired at auction by Univision Communications.[7] Two days later on August 18, the company announced that Gawker.com would cease operations the following week ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gawker_Media
Old 03-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Pat Robertson: Decorating your house (or garden, in this case) with as statue of Buddha is inviting Satan into your house.
deadstate.org/pat-robertson-your-neighbors-buddha-statue-will-bring-curses-upon-you/
Old 03-20-2019, 02:36 PM

Laura Ingraham guest calls Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a girl "the It Girl, and I mean girl in a very mature way” and criticizes her for the way she pronounces her own name.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alexa...b0f7ed945d9c7e

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 03-20-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Hey, if Satan is as cheerful and happy as (Chinese) Buddha seems to be, I'm okay with saving him a plate. That's a good guest right there. You look at jolly fat Buddha and you know he's not the kind of guy who'll scold you in your own fucking house for not saying grace or whatever. Also, again, you can just look at him and know he's not going to be a bitch about gluten nor bore you to death with his crossfit regimen, so that's another plus.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
As ridiculous as Devin Nunes himself may be, we should realize that the tactic of using lawsuits to silence dissent is tried and true. The Gawker case* has provided inspiration for many on the right.
The Gawker case involved a non-consensual tape of someone having sex. It is completely unrelated to Nunes' "case."
Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Governor of Kentucky intentionally exposed his kids to chicken pox rather than getting them vaccinated.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kentuc...ccinating-them
Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Governor of Kentucky intentionally exposed his kids to chicken pox rather than getting them vaccinated.
I wonder if he's going to do that with measles and polio?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I wonder if he's going to do that with measles and polio?
I hope when they all come down with shingles later in life, they take it out on him.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I'd call that child abuse. I remember childhood chickenpox, and it was no fucking fun, even though I had a perfectly normal case of it with no complications.

If he was refusing to vaccinate them and hoping they'd just never get chickenpox, that would still be a stupid and chickenshit attitude, but if he deliberately tried to infect them with a potentially serious or even life-threatening disease, that's abusive.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:15 PM

Pretty sure my mother did the same for me and my sisters.

-God
Old 03-20-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Pretty sure my mother did the same for me and my sisters.
Before there was a vaccine, that made sense. You get it at a time and place of your choosing.

Now that there is a vaccine, it's stupid and dangerous.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
The Gawker case involved a non-consensual tape of someone having sex. It is completely unrelated to Nunes' "case."
The commonality is silencing someone through the intimidating tactic of taking them to court--which will cost them a great deal of money and time.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
So that they would not get it as adults, I personally exposed my children to sy— uh, never mind.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The commonality is silencing someone through the intimidating tactic of taking them to court--which will cost them a great deal of money and time.
You really think Gawker was innocent and being intimidated?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:04 PM

Ah, yes. The Republican "learn to swim or die approach". Such loving parents.

Trump has destroyed the GOP. They have not realized that they are driving a car over a cliff. They let the moron drive the car. They ENCOURAGED IT.

Good luck to you, you assholes. And I mean that. Good luck when your children die, you have no health care and no job. Good luck.

I am getting less, and less charitable to these fuckers every day. Bunch of fucking morons. Facts are too scary for them.

Words don't work.
Facts don't work.
Examples don't work.
History doesn't work.
Science doesn't' work.

So good luck to you when your so called ideals come crashing down on top of your head. You have gotten a good person, a humanitarian, to say "to hell with you" . Good work.

I'll be too busy saving good thinking people to worry about you.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somehow I doubt Twitter is wanting for legal funds.