Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
Okay, so here's a weird one. My student's electric guitar is a 3/4 Squier Strat copy. It has been neglected off and on over the last 3 - 4 years as he alternates between preferring an acoustic, a classical and an electric. So he's blowing the dust off it and playing it again, but the first string is way out of intonation. Fair enough, I take a look at it. The 12th fret harmonic is almost over the 13th fret!! I shorten the string length by about 2mm, but no, it needs to be shortened by the full distance from the 12th to the 13th fret, and there's not enough screw to the bridge piece to hold that.

I can't find any of my guitar tech books, either - it's about time to replace them as they were all about 40 years old anyway. I think they got put in the wrong box and got sent to a friend's church book sale, along with most of the CanLit collection.

Am I just so exhausted from overwork that I've forgotten everything I ever knew about a guitar's setup? I'm baffled. It isn't a warp or a bow in the neck, the other strings (which do have their 12th fret harmonics over the 12th fret) are in good intonation, I don't think even a crap string could have its harmonic anywhere but the halfway point - what the Hell is going on?
Are you sure the string isn't catching someplace, so it is effectively being fretted, changing the location of the harmonic? Stupid, but worth asking. Is the pitch difference between open and 1st fret truly a semi-tone? Are you sure the string is exiting the bridge correctly, and ends right where it crests over the saddle?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Catching - no. I went up the neck chromatically on the first string - each fret plays a note which is unimpeded by the frets above it.

The pitch difference between open and 1st fret is not a true semitone, it's a little flat. By the time you're up to the 7th fret, it's nastily flat. I didn't have my tuner with me, but I suspect that each fret represents ~1/13th of an octave. The G6 chord at the 12th fret sounds like a G+ with a D natural in the bass.

That last is worth checking (I don't have the guitar here with me; all suggestions will have to wait until our next lesson for me to try out.) If the bridge saddle were too low and not catching the string at all, that might account for the extra length (though it's strung in the standard Strat fashion, through the body, so I can't imagine what would be catching it to the right of the bridge.)

I was hoping someone would just tell me 'you're turning it the wrong way, dummy', but I'm quite convinced that if the harmonic is over the 13th fret, the string must be too long. Right?

Last edited by Le Ministre de l'au-delà; 12-07-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I was hoping someone would just tell me 'you're turning it the wrong way, dummy', but I'm quite convinced that if the harmonic is over the 13th fret, the string must be too long. Right?
Sounds right to me.

FWIW, I had an issue with my Tele a while back where I couldn't intonate the low E. The guitar was fine and intonated, then one day I noticed that that one string had changed and I couldn't adjust the bridge enough to get that intonation back in shape. A workaround (which was suggested here in this thread) was to remove the string behind that string's bridge saddle, which gave me enough travel to get the string intonated. My Tele's bridge is a Strat-style one with individual saddles, so I'd bet you could remove the spring on your student's guitar and maybe get enough travel. Maybe. I ended up taking my guitar to get professionally set up, and somehow via neck relief or something they managed to eke out a little more adjustment room and it seems to be in fine shape now.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 AM

Hmm, one other thought, since this is a Strat style guitar, is that the springs on the whammy changed somehow, which could lift or lower the bridge and make all the strings slightly shorter/longer. Look at the bridge and see if it's lifted up too far or perhaps too little, then try adjusting the springs attached to the bridge block to change that tilt. Or just block the whammy if the student doesn't care about whammy-ing.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM

I'd also change the strings. Could be kind of dead. But yes, I think the trem bears investigation. Block it and retune.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM

On this POS Squier Strat, a new first string did most of the trick; it still needed intonation work, but the harmonic was at least within shouting distance of the 12th fret. Said student got a used MIM Strat that had been on sale for $200. for Christmas, so this Squier is now his tinkering guitar - I bought him a copy of Dan Erlewine's 'Guitar Repair', and now he has a beater to work on. Any other recommendations for guitar tech books welcomed...

Along similar lines, what do the rest of you do to eliminate 60 cycle hum from an amp? Has anyone ever got so extreme as to put a gate between the head and the cabinet?

Last edited by Le Ministre de l'au-delà; 12-29-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
On this POS Squier Strat, a new first string did most of the trick; it still needed intonation work, but the harmonic was at least within shouting distance of the 12th fret. Said student got a used MIM Strat that had been on sale for $200. for Christmas, so this Squier is now his tinkering guitar - I bought him a copy of Dan Erlewine's 'Guitar Repair', and now he has a beater to work on. Any other recommendations for guitar tech books welcomed...

Along similar lines, what do the rest of you do to eliminate 60 cycle hum from an amp? Has anyone ever got so extreme as to put a gate between the head and the cabinet?
Definitely have him get on line and search youtube and the web in general for "how to set up your Strat" - given the moving parts of the tremolo assembly, there is an extra level of voodoo in how folks set them up, so this gets a lot of air time on line. Fwiw, I would challenge him - if he is trying to educate himself about proper guitar set up and tweaking things like the intonation - by starting off withe the tremolo assembly Blocked - i.e., do what Clapton does and an insert a wedge of wood or something between the Trem Block which goes through the body, and the body itself. This effectively blocks the trem and leaves the Strat more like a normal, non-moving bridge assembly-type guitar. Much easier starting point - now, can he get the intonation in line with a blocked trem? Focus on that as a first lesson. If he gets that, then he can move on to unblocking the trem and seeing how things go....my $.02. (have him google "blocking a strat trem or whammy" to see how - super easy once you know)

Eliminating hum - dude, I have old Soapbar P-90's on my Black Beauty Les Paul, so yeah, I know about hum!! . Yes, I use a noise gate, but no, it doesn't go between the head and the cab. The latest approach is offered by a few makers - I went with a Boss NS-2 because the local Guitar Center had it. Basically "noise suppressors" are next-gen noise gates: you use them to set up an "effects loop" within the signal chain between your guitar and amp. All of your other pedals are plugged into a loop that both emerges from and re-enters into that NS-2, giving you control over all the noise generated by both your guitar pickups AND any boxes you have in your chain (which can really make 60 cycle sound even worse). Of course, if you don't have other boxes, you plug the guitar into the NS-2 and then into your amp and it acts like a simple noise gate. Either way, I find it does a good job reducing hum when I am not playing.

Now, an old-timer would tell you that you just need to get in the habit of rolling the Volume off your guitar in between songs - that's the way we did it back in the day and once you get used to it, is actually no big deal...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 AM

I, uhm, just got a AV quality surge protector and plugged my amp into that and it mostly went away.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
I, uhm, just got a AV quality surge protector and plugged my amp into that and it mostly went away.
Oh, sure - take the easy way .

(I agree and always plug into a surge protector...good catch.)
Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 AM

I'm surprised a surge suppressor would help hum unless the local power is really messed up.

BTW, did you know you can buy a Vintage 180 watt Blues Junior? This guy thinks you can. Asshole. I'm digging through the craigslist faq, and it seems there isn't a mechanism to delist a dishonest ad, darnit. I considered shaming the guy directly, but I'm not sure I want him to have my e-mail address.

Last edited by squeegee; 12-31-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I'm surprised a surge suppressor would help hum unless the local power is really messed up.

BTW, did you know you can buy a Vintage 180 watt Blues Junior? This guy thinks you can. Asshole. I'm digging through the craigslist faq, and it seems there isn't a mechanism to delist a dishonest ad, darnit. I considered shaming the guy directly, but I'm not sure I want him to have my e-mail address.
Well, he's a twit for looking to charge $500 and calling the amp "vintage" for sure - I am sure he just has a typo for "180 watts" when the amp is really 18 watts. There are earlier versions of the BJr from a few years back, but attempting to frame them as vintage or more valuable at this point is a bit...premature

As for the surge protector - yeah, no clue. I use one to avoid frying my amp if a surge occurs, and do find that in some situations, there appears to be a bit less hum from my P-90's but couldn't tell you why...
Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 PM

I should point out that I was using a $60 surge protector that was left over from some other project that was specifically designed for (blah blah blah AV crap) but my boss canceled the project so I wound up borrowing it one day because I needed the space on the jack and whadda know, it worked.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:35 PM

To my buddy E and everyone here, I just wanted to wish y'all a rockin', pickin' and grinnin'
New Year! We got some friends coming over tonight who are gonna rock this place to the ground (with me on bass and drums - but not simultaneously!)

Quasi
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Well, he's a twit for looking to charge $500 and calling the amp "vintage" for sure - I am sure he just has a typo for "180 watts" when the amp is really 18 watts.
Actually, it's stupider than that. A Blues Junior is 15 watts output power, but the plate on the back stating the input power reads 180 watts. So I'm guessing this guy knows little about amps and got his figure from reading the back of the amp. So if not for that "vintage" comment, I'd downgrade this guy from "asshole" to "dolt".

That aside: Happy New Year, thread!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 AM

So FYI, Santa did bless me with one of those Xaviere acoustics, the cutaway one with the spruce top. $160ish bucks. And I liked it quite a lot at first. Decent looking, sounded quite nice. The action wasn't all I dreamed of, but I could get around the fretboard nimbly enough.

I had quite a lot of fun for a couple of weeks, but then things began to change. I found a buzzy fret that I swore hadn't been there before. Crap, I'll have to maybe learn how to level some frets, that seems doable. Then I found another buzzy fret that definitely hadn't been there before. After another week or so, I was getting duplicate notes on several frets. I sent it back this morning with the high E having duplicate notes on frets 9 & 10, and frets 12 through 15. Plus some buzz frets elsewhere.

Amazing that an instrument can change so drastically in such a short time.

I guess I'll try a cheap Yamaha or somesuch next. From a *local* retailer. Which sadly means GC, but they've got a solid return policy.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 AM

You know what? I'm just gonna say it... This is the LAST place anyone should be looking at for guitar info. Not gonna expound.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:07 AM

I love these threads about guitar here on the SDMB. Its like listening to monkeys talk about how to fuck a football.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Remains View Post
I love these threads about guitar here on the SDMB. Its like listening to monkeys talk about how to fuck a football.
Not sure I like the sound of that - what exactly are you trying to say Claude? You think we're clueless twits? Gosh thanks; what do you think you know better?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 AM

I guess I've been spending too much time on Gibson and Fender forums. Sorry for the being a jerk thing.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess I've been spending too much time on Gibson and Fender forums. Sorry for the being a jerk thing.
Okay. But still not sure of your point. If you want to geek out about Fenders or Gibsons, I am sure I could keep up . What'cha got?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 AM

Geek out? No. Ive got an 02 R8 and a 2007 MIM Strat Standard. I've been here a long while and just think its funny how guitars seem to be some kind of... I can't even put it into words...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 AM

Once again, sorry for being jerkish. We all have to start somewhere. I wish I could play this.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Once again, sorry for being jerkish. We all have to start somewhere. I wish I could play this.
Can't view it right now, but no worries. Are you trying to say that guitar leads folks to do strange things? That I agree with
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Guinness names fastest guitar player in the world

No, it's not any shredder you've ever heard of before.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=551&sid=2702312

If you couldn't see the second hand ticking away and people walking in the background in the video you would swear it had been sped up. Really, though, it's not much to listen to.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Claude, maybe you could say a little bit more than one line comments as they all seem to read out as backhanded compliments.

If you want to join in and geek about guitars this is the place to do it.

There's no telling what the skill level of the participants are in this group without leaving the forum so I couldn't imagine talking down to anyone here which is what your posts appear to be doing.

If you want to take shots at the knowledge level of the group I suggest taking it to the pit. In here we all are obligated to not punch back. Not so in the pit.

If your intent was to just be rowdy about the general goofiness of us guitar-afflicted people and you include yourself in the bunch then excuse me for my ruffled feathers.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Moderating

Quote:
You know what? I'm just gonna say it... This is the LAST place anyone should be looking at for guitar info. Not gonna expound.
Quote:
I'm glad that you've already apologized for this, but in the future, please don't do it in the first place. It's threadshitting and it's rude.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You've apologized and Marley has laid it down - we're done. I do like the thought of using this as a jumping off point to say the opposite: I really enjoy discussing guitars on the Dope because it is more about "interesting people who share an interest in guitar" more than "people focused on guitar, many of whom are simply not interesting"

The fact that we come from all levels adds to the richness - I get tired of guitar experts on the focused message boards crowding out newbies who need info but can't hold their own.

As for the concern about the quality of information - again, I would be interested in what you mean. I stand by my experience, and have a real respect for many Dopers across guitar, electronics, music production, etc. I think this is a great place to get insights and answers.

So yay us. That is all.

Last edited by WordMan; 01-13-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM

WHAT THE FUCK????

Not only is E a very good friend of mine, but this site has saved me a LOT of money!

The thread has a home here and this is where it had BETTER stay!

AFAIK, no one here has ever professed themselves as being anything than another picker trying to learn, and every now and then we have the benefit of someone trying to teach us something.

If this thread is shut down, I will SHIT down someone's throat, make them regurgitate it and then make 'em eat it again!

Q
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Geek out? No. Ive got an 02 R8 and a 2007 MIM Strat Standard. I've been here a long while and just think its funny how guitars seem to be some kind of... I can't even put it into words...
One of the reasons that this thread is more congenial to most dopers than dedicated guitar geek boards is pretty much illustrated in your post. I have been playing guitar for 45 years, subscribe to a few guitar mags, have built a guitar, repaired a bunch of them, and bought and sold over 100 of them. I know from your post that you have a made in Mexico Strat, but I don't know what an R8 is and can't be bothered to look it up. Did you expect everyone to know what that is, or did you intend to demonstrate your superiority in some way?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
One of the reasons that this thread is more congenial to most dopers than dedicated guitar geek boards is pretty much illustrated in your post. I have been playing guitar for 45 years, subscribe to a few guitar mags, have built a guitar, repaired a bunch of them, and bought and sold over 100 of them. I know from your post that you have a made in Mexico Strat, but I don't know what an R8 is and can't be bothered to look it up. Did you expect everyone to know what that is, or did you intend to demonstrate your superiority in some way?
02 R8 = Gibson Les Paul, Vintage Original Spec / Historic, 1958 Reissue (R8 = Reissue of a '58, vs. an R9 for a '59, etc...an R8 is diff vs. an R9 by having a plaintop - not a flamed maple top for an R9 and also a somewhat chunkier neck).

Super common lingo on guitar boards; Greek anywhere else.

Again, I am not looking to snark at Claude - it's inappropriate in this forum and he apologized anyway. Guitar message boards are so obsessive and geek-tastic that you need to divine the lingo, sort through the bull, but once you do, there is some knowledge to be had. That is simply a very different approach vs. how this board works. You can get advice here, but it is...presented differently
Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
I don't know what an R8 is
WordMan also explained the whole Les Paul 'R' thing in greater detail earlier in this thread.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
WordMan also explained the whole Les Paul 'R' thing in greater detail earlier in this thread.
Oh yeah, post #843 on 9/18/2010, don't know how I missed that!

Now that I have read the explanation, I'm still not sure I would translate 02 R8 into 2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue even in the context of a general guitar thread. I guess I just prefer more detailed, less cryptic, descriptions.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I knew that.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM

On another note...
Wordman and anyone else that read my thread about breaking in amp speakers and my Carr Mercury, an update.
Every time I fired up the Merc with the intention of tinkering, I dialed in the tone I liked and ended up just playing. I finally dug up my multimeter and checked the bias on it. The manual recommends .045VDC for the EL34 tube. Mine was at .055. I dialed it back to the recommended setting and I am much happier with the sound, both on the clean and on the gain settings. The bias adjustment is a shaft like on a potentiometer (maybe that's exactly what it is) that sticks out from the chassis on the inside of the cabinet. I can see how it may have gotten moved from someone reaching around in there or maybe from stuffing the cord into the back of the cab.
I still don't think the clean setting is as good as the clean on my TRRI but it's pretty good. Just a little less shimmery 3D.
I still plan to try swapping one of the 6L6s from my twin into the Merc to see what happens.
I also think there is something to the speaker break in. Before I tweaked the bias I was feeling like the tone was getting a little better.

It's hard to be objective when you've already invested in the amp.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Excellent! All great news. I look forward to the 6L6 test.

Remember: a good chunk of that shimmer you like is simply due to the Twin being...a twin, ie having two speakers. They play with/against each othe to thicken and add a natural chorus effect. Remind me, is the Merc's cab open or closed? An open back like the Twin has adds time-delay shimmer, too.

Last edited by WordMan; 01-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 PM

The Merc is open back.

It will be pretty easy to hook the Twin speakers to the Carr, just to see what happens.

I'm satisfied with the amp as is but it is a great platform for experimentation.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
The Merc is open back.

It will be pretty easy to hook the Twin speakers to the Carr, just to see what happens.

I'm satisfied with the amp as is but it is a great platform for experimentation.
Exactly.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM

This seems like as good a time as any to express my appreciation to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I very much enjoy your patience, your advice, your anecdotes and the rare occasions when I'm in a position to answer someone's question. I wish there existed a way to jam with all of you!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM

I am totally SCHMEILLING at you, right now, Le Mininistre, with all the the thanks I can manage. Not only to rock or jam, but also to give you a TOTAL hug and squeauzzze!

Your friend

Quasi
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Excuse me, I've been busy fucking a football for the last few weeks. Is that ook with everyone?
(Yeah, I started the thread knowing jack. I still know jack, but now I know most of what I don't know.)

Squeegee, I'm really sorry to hear about the acoustic. Do you think perhaps the neck got twisted? What could do something like that?

In other news, I got some pedals from that Best Buy deal. Dano Chromatic Tuner, Chicken Salad Vibrato, Bacon and Eggs Distortion, and a Chili Dog Octave.

Cheap, but interesting! The Chili doesn't get all the notes if you go too fast, but it's still fun to play with.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Squeegee, I'm really sorry to hear about the acoustic. Do you think perhaps the neck got twisted? What could do something like that?
Damnifknow. Maybe they didn't dry the wood properly? It's like the guitar was warping as I watched, in real time. I really liked (and still really like) that flat-top "LP Special" I bought from them, so I took a shot with the new acoustic stuff. It was a gamble and I lost, but my first experience was pretty good so what the hell. We'll see how the return goes and what their cust. service is like, & I'll report back.

Ook.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 AM

I'm a girl. What exactly do I do with this football thingy again? Is this like, phisting or something? I'm unsure. Please advise.

Anyhow I got the banjo uke back from the luthier. Best $60 I ever spent. He re-cut the nut a bit, dressed the frets, replaced a bolt from the drum head, set up a new bridge in just the right spot, and replaced the strings! It's really loud and twangy and "punchy" if that makes any sense. I'm thinking if putting a video up on YouTube so you can all see and hear it. I've been practicing my basic claw hammer strum for a few days now. It almost sounds like I know what I'm doing. Almost.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Awesome! So you find a claw hammer approach works? Cool. Have fun with your new tool. I love it when an experiment pays off.

And sure, post something; that would be fun. I can never be arsed to learn how to make an upload a vid just like I rarely find myself in the studio...
Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, I've been busy fucking a football for the last few weeks. Is that ook with everyone?
(Yeah, I started the thread knowing jack. I still know jack, but now I know most of what I don't know.)
Dewde? ANYTHING you spout out of your "I don't know jack" thread is okay with me, okay?

Now let go of that football, mommy frigger!

Love you, E!

Q
Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Awesome! So you find a claw hammer approach works? Cool. Have fun with your new tool. I love it when an experiment pays off.

And sure, post something; that would be fun. I can never be arsed to learn how to make an upload a vid just like I rarely find myself in the studio...
I'll be sure to let all of you know when my new power trio, The Carnal Monkeys, uploads the video of our hot new song, Pigskin Love.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM

I've just discovered a vein of William Kanengiser videos on YouTube. For those of you who have never encountered him, he's one of the founding members of the LAGQ (Los Angeles Guitar Quartet). There must have been a recent interview or DVD of his released - here is a fun sampling.

Why All Musicians Need to be Entrepreneurs
On Choosing to Pursue a Career in Music
The Upside to Practicing Less

...And here's a clip of him playing Brian Head's 'Brookland Boogie'.

I either have to go practice a lot, or give in and watch vids most of the day.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I watched the clip on "the upside of practicing less" and can very much relate - it was something I was just commenting on to a friend as I deal with a bunch of stressful stuff at work. I look forward to the other ones...

ETA: ...and there is a lot of Miles Davis' "So What" in the intro to that Boogie piece. Very cool.

Last edited by WordMan; 01-16-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Can any of you guys recommend a good website to learn to read tablature? I have been fooling around with just chord patterns and such, it seems it's time to learn something new. I have found a few sites but I need "tablature for dummies" type site.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneop2 View Post
Can any of you guys recommend a good website to learn to read tablature? I have been fooling around with just chord patterns and such, it seems it's time to learn something new. I have found a few sites but I need "tablature for dummies" type site.
Sorry - not something I am experienced with. I would fall back on magazine websites since most guitar mags have Tab lessons, etc...
Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 PM

How basic do you need to get? Here's a real starter page, for example.