Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 PM

My GAS pains have just left me $700usd poorer plus whatever I now need to spend on a really, really nice Valentine's gift for my wife tomorrow!. A 2007 Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat, 2 tone Sunburst, maple fretboard, black pickguard plus the original mint green guard was included in the deal. It is in nearly new condition with one small ding on the bottom edge that is hardly visible.

http://images.craigslist.org/5Nc5F55...43832813c5.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5L15Ie5...8ebe851fbb.jpg
Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEscapee View Post
My GAS pains have just left me $700usd poorer plus whatever I now need to spend on a really, really nice Valentine's gift for my wife tomorrow!. A 2007 Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat, 2 tone Sunburst, maple fretboard, black pickguard plus the original mint green guard was included in the deal. It is in nearly new condition with one small ding on the bottom edge that is hardly visible.

http://images.craigslist.org/5Nc5F55...43832813c5.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5L15Ie5...8ebe851fbb.jpg
Nice looker. Happy new guitar!
So: that guitar was sold new with a mint green pick guard??
Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 AM

How do you like the V-neck?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 AM

That Strat is gorgeous, CBEscapee. Your Mrs might be annoyed with you, but random anonymous guys on the internet totally approve!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Really cool.

I am checking out...a pick. I tend to dismiss fancy picks as so much douchebaggery, but will report back if I learn anything...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Really cool.

I am checking out...a pick. I tend to dismiss fancy picks as so much douchebaggery, but will report back if I learn anything...
Are you looking at v-picks. or something higher-end? The V-picks dude is featured in the latest Vintage Guitar.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Are you looking at v-picks. or something higher-end? The V-picks dude is featured in the latest Vintage Guitar.
I fear something even douchebaggier: Bluechip Picks, at $35 a pop.

I am drinking some sort of bluegrass Koolaid, I suppose...I could geek out as to why, but regardless, I am checking them out.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:

I am drinking some sort of bluegrass Koolaid, I suppose...I could geek out as to why, but regardless, I am checking them out.
My God, man!

You have managed to find a pick that I would hesitate to take to a bar gig. I'm expecting a full report laden with wine-tasting terminology.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My God, man!

You have managed to find a pick that I would hesitate to take to a bar gig. I'm expecting a full report laden with wine-tasting terminology.
Me think pick play better. ::grunt::

Yeah, I cringe a bit every time I think about it. But we'll see. About 20 years ago, I went through a goofy pick phase and ended up with a standard yellow Dunlop Tortex. If I just chase my tail and end up back with some reliable pick, at least I got it out of my system...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Me think pick play better. ::grunt::

Yeah, I cringe a bit every time I think about it. But we'll see. About 20 years ago, I went through a goofy pick phase and ended up with a standard yellow Dunlop Tortex. If I just chase my tail and end up back with some reliable pick, at least I got it out of my system...
I am really interested in reading what you think about the tone claims made by the maker of these picks. I've never even used a tortoise pick, so I obviously don't know much.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am really interested in reading what you think about the tone claims made by the maker of these picks. I've never even used a tortoise pick, so I obviously don't know much.
I pulled out an old Dunlop Jazz III stubby red pick last weekend - it was so different tonally and playability-wise from the yellow Tortex that it was interesting. That's what got me started on this. Also, my picking technique has evolved so much vs. 20 years ago that I have a whole different feel with the smaller, stubbier pick. I also got a Dunlop Big Stubby - a hard plastic version of a Jazz III - also very different tone, but I started to wear it out after 30 minutes of playing...which got me to a bit of online research, to the Bluechip...we'll see...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM

You wore out a Big Stubby 3mm pick? Without breaking strings? What were you playing, a cheese grater? Please, 'splain to this puzzled Canuck...

Have you ever tried Jade or Agate picks?

Last edited by Le Ministre de l'au-delà; 02-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
You wore out a Big Stubby 3mm pick? Without breaking strings? What were you playing, a cheese grater? Please, 'splain to this puzzled Canuck...

Have you ever tried Jade or Agate picks?
I did about 20 years ago and found them slippery; as I have stated, I am a bit of a sweathog and simple rigid picks get slippery on me. Also, they were perfectly rigid / no flex; at the time, I couldn't really handle that - I am finding that my right-hand technique can accomodate a truly rigid pick better now. In terms of grippiness (new word) Tortex picks have a grippy surface; Jazz III picks have molded writing on them that provides a grip. These Bluechip picks are made of some sorta Unobtanium plastic that gets "grippier the more you play" "never wear down" and "produce an amazing tone"...heck, I wish it looked good in a bikini!

As for the Dunlop Stubby - it has a dimple/depression on it that enhances its grippiness, but it is made of slick plastic. And after 30 minutes, I could see where the pick-edge of it was already getting a bit white from wear. It was still basically intact, but given what I saw, it was going to get snags on the pick-edge at about the same pace as my yellow Tortex picks and lose shape, too. If I am going to consider switching to a pricier, rigid pick, I would like one that doesn't wear out quite as fast as my cheapie, by 'em by the gross picks...

I knew this would lead to geekiness. For a freakin' pick...oy.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM

I won't be impressed until you wear out a Jazz III. I have a Jazz II (which seems identical to the III AFAICT) that must be 30 years old and has seen much playing sans wear.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I won't be impressed until you wear out a Jazz III. I have a Jazz II (which seems identical to the III AFAICT) that must be 30 years old and has seen much playing sans wear.
Back during my last PickQuest(tm) I tried a Jazz III for a few months* and definitely wore down the point. I know, squeegee, that you can't wrap your brain around my pick use - I get it; it boggles a few minds. I am a...very energetic strummer - in addition to wearing down picks, I often wear down my index fingernail. I strum very percussively, adding a rhythm track under the chords; as part of that, I scrape the pick and my nail hard against the strings to get different rhythmic effects...

*I got a bag of 3 or so - the one I used just now was sitting in the bottom of my gear bag for the past 20 years
Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Been thinking about picking up a Luna acoustic, I've tried a few in the store and they play pretty, except for the shellaqued color ones which sound like they've, well, been dipped in shellaque. Any owners that like/dislike them?

Purrrrttty....
Old 02-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I did about 20 years ago and found them slippery; as I have stated, I am a bit of a sweathog and simple rigid picks get slippery on me. Also, they were perfectly rigid / no flex; at the time, I couldn't really handle that - I am finding that my right-hand technique can accomodate a truly rigid pick better now.

I knew this would lead to geekiness. For a freakin' pick...oy.
Post snipped.

Wanna talk pick geekiness? I shape my picks. This requires getting big old cheap picks, using a nail file to shorten and shape them the way I like. After the shape is about right I then rub the picks on paper to smooth the edges and also taper the edge. This is sorta hard to explain but if the pick isn't hitting the string exactly parallel it shaves off a bit of the edge with each stroke. After a bit the front edge and the back edge are shaved and the roundness of the edge goes away. I like that so I shape 'em that way.

My picking is way cleaner with the shaped picks. In fact I really hate regular sized picks anymore. My picks end up about the size of the Tortex Jazz picks but not as pointy.

Slee
Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Slee - I don't need to tempt your G.A.S., but on the Bluechip website they appear to have a pick that is about the dimensions you describe...

My thinking is that if they are a grippy, rigid pick that my current picking style can accommodate - AND they never wear out because of their amazing Unobtanium material - then they'd be worth trying...otherwise, I will revert back to cheapie-by-the-gross picks which I leave a couple dozen of in my guitar cases so there is always one to grab...

GargoyleWB - I haven't tried a Luna. They look pretty - is that laser etching they use for all the fancy stuff on some of the models?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I know, squeegee, that you can't wrap your brain around my pick use - I get it; it boggles a few minds.
Sorry, wasn't trying to, um, pick on you.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry, wasn't trying to, um, pick on you.
Oh, ouch.

No worries. I do break Tortex picks; I do wear down picks pretty fast (and I am thankful that I primarily play on the weekends - it gives my index fingernail time to recover).

I dunno what to say - from the very start of playing, I always strummed downstrokes where I scrape my finger/pick combo down on the strings for percussive effects - sometimes up the neck at the fingerboard for a certain sound; sometimes down below the soundhole - but it has worked for me. And right now that I am back playing mostly acoustic, I am noticing how much I rely on that as part of my playing dynamics...which is what led me to thinking about picks again for the first time in decades...
Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Like this?

One my band used to play in the 60's.

Q
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
[
GargoyleWB - I haven't tried a Luna. They look pretty - is that laser etching they use for all the fancy stuff on some of the models?
Yes, apparently laser etching per their site. Looks quite nice in the flesh.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
... from the very start of playing, I always strummed downstrokes where I scrape my finger/pick combo down on the strings for percussive effects
Me too. For me, I think it started because I did mostly finger-picking and learned to strum using my index finger and thumb together, just as though I were holding a pick, without the pick.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Like this?

One my band used to play in the 60's.

Q
I have never heard that - cool, wacky instrumental with fun bends and grooves. I suppose what I do is something like that, although that track is more like a funk groove on an electric, as best done by James Brown's guitarist, Jimmy "Chank" Nolen - per his nickname, that cool "chank" funk groove...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Love the drums on that one too, WordMan. Cool dude, just playin' time, no fills..... Just the way I like to play!

Thanks

Q
Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Pick Update: a douchebag says what?

Got the BlueChip picks a few days ago and have been playing them alongside other picks across my various acoustics - i.e., small and large bodies. Bottom line: I notice a difference. Not in an "Omigod! Picks MATTER!!" sorta way, but in a nice little way - like getting a pair of skis that carve that much better of an edge as you turn. The pick just seems a bit more...neutrally inert in my grip. It's less about what it does, than what it doesn't do; going back and forth with the other picks, I noticed how the others vibrate a bit more, shift a bit more. This pick just seems to do that less - in a noticeable way.

And I can tell the material is harder vs. normal picks - the percussive rhythms when I dry strum are noticeably crisper. Weird.

In terms of tone, it basically sounds like a good, thick pick - thin picks have a thinner, brighter tone; thicker picks have a warmer, rounder tone.

Interesting.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

I feel better about my $2300 8 watt practice amp.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I feel better about my $2300 8 watt practice amp.
. There must be a ratio of douchebag units vs utility...
Old 02-22-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
Ashbory bass.
It arrived today. I love it. I don't recommend it to anyone who isn't familiar with fretless stringed instruments, though.

It's easier to play than a doghouse bass in terms of being small and weighing practically nothing, but getting the intonation right is harder on the tiny neck. It's achievable, but it takes skill.

It sounds amazing. It really does sound like a double bass. Not exact, but close enough to fool a casual listener. I'm using the original strings, but I've also bought some Pahoehoe Strings, as some people prefer them.

Speaking of which, I now have massive GAS for a Kala U-Bass - looks like a bass ukelele, sounds like a double bass. Similar concept to the Ashbory, but apparently a bit easier to play (and annoyingly better-looking). A bit more expensive, though.

If I hadn't just bought two basses, I'd probably spring for a U-Bass. The bass forums are full of them at the moment, and You Tube has plenty of impressive demo videos.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
It arrived today. I love it. I don't recommend it to anyone who isn't familiar with fretless stringed instruments, though.

It's easier to play than a doghouse bass in terms of being small and weighing practically nothing, but getting the intonation right is harder on the tiny neck. It's achievable, but it takes skill.

It sounds amazing. It really does sound like a double bass. Not exact, but close enough to fool a casual listener. I'm using the original strings, but I've also bought some Pahoehoe Strings, as some people prefer them.

Speaking of which, I now have massive GAS for a Kala U-Bass - looks like a bass ukelele, sounds like a double bass. Similar concept to the Ashbory, but apparently a bit easier to play (and annoyingly better-looking). A bit more expensive, though.

If I hadn't just bought two basses, I'd probably spring for a U-Bass. The bass forums are full of them at the moment, and You Tube has plenty of impressive demo videos.
That looks like a fun and interesting instrument - never heard of them before.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Look At THIS, Guys (And ENJOY)

http://youtu.be/W-Hc5abSVHA

Questions:

1. Who's the red guitar? Comments on YouTube say it's Frampton?

2. Look at where Don's tremelo bar is. Seems like wasted motion to me, but maybe when they were playing Mosrites he had it that way too?

3. And that's Mel on the drums, right? Not his son? Mel and the Ventures were one of the reasons I got into the rock biz in the first place.

Oh yeah. One more:

http://youtu.be/9VRg-PDxsLQ

Thanks

Q
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 PM

Why don't you guys treat your GAS by building your own guitar?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Working on it. It will be the nerdiest guitar ever.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM

I love Fenders, but my first purchase was a strat with the same shiny, slippy blond fretboard pictured above (is it called lacquered maple?). I couldn't deal with it. Later I got a Yamaha SG 2000, my first ebony fretboard, and that's all I've wanted since. I was lucky enough to borrow an Ibanez JEM for a while, attracted by the same ebony and 24 frets (and possibly to see what Vai's about). Amazing guitar, but I certainly couldn't do it justice.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM

I'm starting to get messages about this year's Montréal Guitar Show. I just saw the newest from Cardinal Instruments and I thought I'd throw a link in here. I love the look of these 'second use' woods...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 PM

I'm gonna tempt you now, Mr. toonerama.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-890...st_p_4255.html

You want it, don't you? So cheap, so round, so firm, so fully packed.

Have I described the 'ultimate nerd guitar' I'm working with a guy on yet, by the way? It's the Flying V design.

Last edited by E-Sabbath; 02-29-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
http://youtu.be/W-Hc5abSVHA

Questions:

1. Who's the red guitar? Comments on YouTube say it's Frampton?

2. Look at where Don's tremelo bar is. Seems like wasted motion to me, but maybe when they were playing Mosrites he had it that way too?

3. And that's Mel on the drums, right? Not his son? Mel and the Ventures were one of the reasons I got into the rock biz in the first place.

Oh yeah. One more:

http://youtu.be/9VRg-PDxsLQ

Thanks

Q
That first link is the Ventures playing Apache, which was an instrumental hit first done by their UK counterparts, the Shadows (the backing band for Cliff Richard and stars in their own right). Hank Marvin was the guitar player for the Shadows - he looked like Buddy Holly with thick plastic glasses. He mostly played Burns guitars from the UK, but was known for getting a Fiesta Red custom color Stratocaster early in the 60's, setting off huge demand for the guitar.

That is a young Peter Frampton, and given that he grew up idolizing Hank Marvin, it is no surprise that he would have a Fiesta Red Strat or be geeked-out happy at the thought of playing with the Ventures.

Apache went on to be covered by other bands, and one version was a drum-driven version (used in the soundtrack of The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant, IIRC) which went on to become one of the most sample recordings in history, used on so many rap/hip hop records it wasn't funny...wiki link: Apache (instrumental)

Last edited by WordMan; 02-29-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonerama View Post
I love Fenders, but my first purchase was a strat with the same shiny, slippy blond fretboard pictured above (is it called lacquered maple?). I couldn't deal with it. Later I got a Yamaha SG 2000, my first ebony fretboard, and that's all I've wanted since. I was lucky enough to borrow an Ibanez JEM for a while, attracted by the same ebony and 24 frets (and possibly to see what Vai's about). Amazing guitar, but I certainly couldn't do it justice.
I have a 1973 Limited Edition Les Paul Black Beauty '54 reissue (say that 3 times fast) with an ebony fingerboard that would make you drool. So easy to play and it adds a bit of snap to the tone of this one-piece, solid mahogany guitar....
Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=643820

First guitar geek-out thread in a long time. Have patience.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I have a 1973 Limited Edition Les Paul Black Beauty '54 reissue
Is that the J-maker one that's so good a replica that it beats Gibson's offering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
First guitar geek-out thread in a long time. Have patience.
Will do. Your geekery is definitely worth perusing. I've just skimmed what you wrote, not really absorbed, but will return to it after work-time.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is that the J-maker one that's so good a replica that it beats Gibson's offering?
No - that's a 1980-or-so Japanese-made "Burny" - it was a more-faithful repro of 50's style Les Pauls vs. the ones Gibson was making at the time. These days, a Gibson VOS/Historic is a decently faithful replica of a 50's LP, but at the time, Gibson wasn't doing that. This is the Burny here.

The '73 looks like a 50's Les Paul Custom and it is a real Gibson - here.

Quote:
Will do. Your geekery is definitely worth perusing. I've just skimmed what you wrote, not really absorbed, but will return to it after work-time.
Cool. Let me know what you think...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
No - that's a 1980-or-so Japanese-made "Burny" - it was a more-faithful repro of 50's style Les Pauls vs. the ones Gibson was making at the time. These days, a Gibson VOS/Historic is a decently faithful replica of a 50's LP, but at the time, Gibson wasn't doing that. This is the Burny here.

The '73 looks like a 50's Les Paul Custom and it is a real Gibson - here.
Ah, thank you. I guess was conflating the black one with the Burny. Man, that black LP is quite a looker. I've been GASing for an LP for some time, I'm quite jealous.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah, thank you. I guess was conflating the black one with the Burny. Man, that black LP is quite a looker. I've been GASing for an LP for some time, I'm quite jealous.
I shared the picture of the Black Les Paul, aka Gracie, on a different website and a guy chased me down about trying to buy it - from your same neck of the woods, too (I was half-entertaining the thought since there is always another nice vintage acoustic I want to pursue, but his company had a layoff scare and he took a step back - now is not the time to pursue a collectible old guitar, eh?). It is a truly great Les Paul - the one-piece mahogany body is light and super resonant (LP Customs do not have a maple cap like LP standards). But you have to love P-90's and the Alnico V "staple" pickup in the neck position - they aren't the same as humbuckers; but you know that given the LP your occasional guitar instructor uses...
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM

For WordMan And Ventures Re-Issues

Thank you, sir for the info on Apache, and that grinning young guy with the Red Strat.

I'd be grinning just like that, if they'd let me sit in on the drums on that tune!

Secondly, Amazon's been sending me mail about re-issues of Ventures' albums with the original covers. The company is Sundazed Records.

I'm well-stocked with almost everything the boys have ever recorded (on cd only in my collection), and I believe Sundazed's sales angle is the original artwork, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Have any of you bought one of these reissues and what did you think? Did you compare the quality to a previous cd of the same album?

Thanks

Q
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Why did nobody ever tell me Johnny Cash is so much fun to play for a beginner? I can't decide if Boy Named Sue or Busted is best, really. I'm even getting some fingerpicking practice in with Boy Named Sue. It's perfect.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
I'm gonna tempt you now, Mr. toonerama.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-890...st_p_4255.html

You want it, don't you? So cheap, so round, so firm, so fully packed.

Have I described the 'ultimate nerd guitar' I'm working with a guy on yet, by the way? It's the Flying V design.
Ooh, tempt me you have. But maybe it's too cheap to be that good? Have you tried one? And I would love to hear about the nerd-axe.

Last year, I nearly dropped $1,800 on a new Ibanez Artist, but real life kicked in. Damn, it's a lovely guitar. The look & specs are similar to the Xaviere. I really am tempted. You're a bad influence.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I have a 1973 Limited Edition Les Paul Black Beauty '54 reissue (say that 3 times fast) with an ebony fingerboard that would make you drool. So easy to play and it adds a bit of snap to the tone of this one-piece, solid mahogany guitar....
Consider me drooling. I just hope you're good player with an axe like that!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I shared the picture of the Black Les Paul, aka Gracie, on a different website and a guy chased me down about trying to buy it - from your same neck of the woods, too (I was half-entertaining the thought since there is always another nice vintage acoustic I want to pursue, but his company had a layoff scare and he took a step back - now is not the time to pursue a collectible old guitar, eh?). It is a truly great Les Paul - the one-piece mahogany body is light and super resonant (LP Customs do not have a maple cap like LP standards). But you have to love P-90's and the Alnico V "staple" pickup in the neck position - they aren't the same as humbuckers; but you know that given the LP your occasional guitar instructor uses...
Just curious, if you don't mind - how much is The Black Beauty worth these days?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
Why did nobody ever tell me Johnny Cash is so much fun to play for a beginner? I can't decide if Boy Named Sue or Busted is best, really. I'm even getting some fingerpicking practice in with Boy Named Sue. It's perfect.
Absolutely. I learned "Ring of Fire" very early on
Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 PM

"Wanted Man" is one of my easy Cash tunes. I think Mr. Zimmerman wrote that especially for John, didn't he, guys?

Glad I'm not the only one suffering from too much gear syndrome!

Quasi