Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta G View Post
My son is autistic, and I am well familiar with autism-spectrum disorders and ABA therapy, etc.
Same here.

Quote:
I won't be buying your hack book.
I did buy it, and I will explain why if you open up a separate thread.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
My son is autistic, and I am well familiar with autism-spectrum disorders and ABA therapy, etc.

I won't be buying your hack book.
How do you know it's a hack book if you won't buy it? I'm assuming you also haven't read it.

Nevertheless I think your post is a useful example of why the OP book is unlikely to fix the antivax problem in short order. People have always "just known" stuff, and enduring the illuminating machinery of logic is often more painful to endure than clinging to being wrong.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Nevertheless I think your post is a useful example of why the OP book is unlikely to fix the antivax problem in short order. People have always "just known" stuff, and enduring the illuminating machinery of logic is often more painful to endure than clinging to being wrong.
You are right, which is why we didn't write the book for the anti-vaccine movement. They won't be convinced, they won't be moved, and they won't read it anyway. We wrote it for parents who've "heard things" about vaccines, and just aren't sure what the deal is about them. We addressed the major anti-vaccine myths and talked about where they came from, why they're being perpetuated, and what the science says about them. That way, we're hopeful that those parents who aren't anti-vax but are confused can get the scientifically valid information.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
How do you know it's a hack book if you won't buy it? I'm assuming you also haven't read it.

Nice straw man. You're grossly underestimating what a lot of other people know about autism.

I never said I wouldn't read it, just that I won't be buying it.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 PM

So educate us, but in another thread. This is a thread of celebration, not discord.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Nice straw man. You're grossly underestimating what a lot of other people know about autism.

I never said I wouldn't read it, just that I won't be buying it.
You criticized the book without having read it. Why?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm kind of curious why you mentioned being familiar with applied behavior analysis (ABA), since it has nothing to do with vaccines. Just a general sign of being well-informed?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Bring it.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolga View Post
You are right, which is why we didn't write the book for the anti-vaccine movement. They won't be convinced, they won't be moved, and they won't read it anyway. We wrote it for parents who've "heard things" about vaccines, and just aren't sure what the deal is about them. We addressed the major anti-vaccine myths and talked about where they came from, why they're being perpetuated, and what the science says about them. That way, we're hopeful that those parents who aren't anti-vax but are confused can get the scientifically valid information.
We were also aiming to to help provide resources for the pro-vaccine parent or interested observer to gently correct their anti-vax friends, co-workers and relatives. Or at least reassure themselves they are right on this issue.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 PM

Bought it today, BTW. Didn't come in here just to threadshit. Sorry for not being cooler.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
We were also aiming to to help provide resources for the pro-vaccine parent or interested observer to gently correct their anti-vax friends, co-workers and relatives. Or at least reassure themselves they are right on this issue.
We really need a "like" button on this board
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM

To continue the thread shit in a minor way, now that I see why you wrote the book it can be forgiven. I thought you where trying to give ammunition to fight against the anti-vaxxers. If that was the case, using Dr. Offit would have just made the antivaxxers say "see". Not that the man isn't doing everything right of course.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Bought it today, BTW.
I got my copy today. Looking forward to reading it.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I have read the book and gave it a rave review on Amazon.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 PM

We're doing a podcast about the book this weekend with the radio program Skeptically Speaking. You'll be able to hear us next Friday.

http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/

Quote:
We record live with Allison Hagood and Stacy Herlihy on Sunday, October 7 at 6 pm MT. The podcast will be available to download at 9 pm MT on Friday, October 12.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM

I'll try and give it a listen
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM

I posted your amazon link on my facebook page. May you sell a bazillion copies and become super wealthy while saving lives of children across the globe!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbth View Post
I posted your amazon link on my facebook page. May you sell a bazillion copies and become super wealthy while saving lives of children across the globe!
Thank you.

You can hear our podcast now:

http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/episod...abys-best-shot
Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Wonderful! I'm listening to the podcast now.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman209 View Post
Wonderful! I'm listening to the podcast now.
Thank you. I'll be speaking about the book at the [words] bookstore in Maplewood, NJ this Sunday.

http://wordsbookstore.com/category/events/
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Denver-area Dopers: I'll be doing a public event at the Student Union on the Auraria campus, downtown Denver, on Tuesday, November 13, from 4:30 - 6:30.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Interview with me about the book in our local paper. I made the front page.

http://newjerseyhills.com/the_progre...a4bcf887a.html
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Neat!

So how much hatemail have you gotten from people who Know The Truth and want to expose the Fact that you're Just A Tool Of Big Pharma And Maybe The Illuminati And Probably That Other Political Party?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Neat!

So how much hatemail have you gotten from people who Know The Truth and want to expose the Fact that you're Just A Tool Of Big Pharma And Maybe The Illuminati And Probably That Other Political Party?
Nothing personally. At least not yet. We did get a stupid review on Amazon from an idiot.

Maybe my area has a tinfoil shortage?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Someone created a hate page against me on Facebook. It's been removed since then. I've gotten a few private messages on FB of people threatening to find me or show up at one of my events and punch me in the face. A few public posts on FB have threatened harm to me through forcing multiple vaccinations on me (of course, *I* don't consider those threats of harm, but since they consider vaccines poisons, they clearly *mean* for them to be threats of harm).

All in all, a pretty normal thing.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nothing personally. At least not yet. We did get a stupid review on Amazon from an idiot.
Yeah, but you got six very Good reviews, including one from me, and dudes are panning the hell out of that stupid review*.

* which is the right thing to do, as it is- stupid. But my SDMB friends- please do not mark as unhelpful a review you just disagree with, if it is well written. In other words, in you love Avatar but someone gives it ** but gives a well written explanation why- then that should NOT be marked "NO" Under "Was this review helpful to you?". OTOH, if you find a review helpful- please mark it "Yes". This gives us more rational reviewers, who give good reviews to great books (like the OP's) some some feeling our work is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM

My facebook page with video of my and my youngest child at the book event. If you live in the northern area of NJ or are just stopping through on your way to somewhere else, I highly recommend a stop at the [words] bookstore in the center of lovely Maplewood. The Zimiles family runs it. They have a son who is severely autistic. Their bookstore is devoted to helping support and employ people who have the condition. I spoke to Jonah Zimiles. He is a kind and thoughtful man who is doing a truly good thing in this world.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 PM

I'll be doing a presentation at Children's Hospital in Denver tomorrow. It's for providers and members of the Colorado Children's Immunization Coalition only, but it's my first big event, so I'm still gonna brag about it
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

That's fantastic! Brag away!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM

I am buying a Kindle edition mostly to support fellow dopers. I am childless by choice, so have no dog in this fight. (well, actually I do own a dog, but I digress..) Anti-vaxer parents make me crazy already, and I fear reading this book will not be good for my nerves. It is not as if they will be convinced by mere facts, but what the hell, maybe I'll learn one thing that will make one idiot parent stop and think.

I also posted a link to your Amazon listing on FB. With any luck the woman who keeps posting anti-vaxer propaganda will un-friend me over that.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM

I've got two publicity events coming up next week, for any Denver-area Dopers (or anyone else interested).

The first is Tuesday, November 13, from 4:30 - 6:30 in the Tivoli Student Union on the Auraria Campus: http://www.childrensimmunization.org/YourBabysBestShot

The second is Thursday, November 15, from 3 - 5:30 at Children's Hospital. It's for CCIC members and healthcare providers: http://www.childrensimmunization.org/allisonhagood

I'm excited! And very nervous
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I've got two publicity events coming up next week, for any Denver-area Dopers (or anyone else interested).

The first is Tuesday, November 13, from 4:30 - 6:30 in the Tivoli Student Union on the Auraria Campus: http://www.childrensimmunization.org/YourBabysBestShot

The second is Thursday, November 15, from 3 - 5:30 at Children's Hospital. It's for CCIC members and healthcare providers: http://www.childrensimmunization.org/allisonhagood

I'm excited! And very nervous
Good luck!

I'll be at the Roseland, NJ public library on the 19th to talk about the book.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Wow. I listened to the Skeptically Speaking interview on the day it came out, enjoyed it thoroughly, and added the book to my Nook wishlist, all without knowing it was authored by Dopers!

I haven't been around much lately, but just happened to pop in today and notice this good news and I felt I needed to come in and give you both big congratulations. Once I read the book, I'll be sure to post reviews on both Amazon & B&N. Good for you both fighting the good fight!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Along the lines here is this:

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/page/2

For the very bad book “Vaccine Epidemic”. What’s sad is that there are nearly 70 rave ***** reviews for this lying dogshit book. It’s also outselling our OP’s fine book by quite a bit.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post

For the very bad book “Vaccine Epidemic”. What’s sad is that there are nearly 70 rave ***** reviews for this lying dogshit book. It’s also outselling our OP’s fine book by quite a bit.
While "Vaccine Epidemic"'s subtitles denounce "corporate greed" and "biased science" the book includes a chapter defending Andrew Wakefield. Apparently the authors have been successfully vaccinated against irony.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Nope. Immune to start with. As Boris said about Bullwinkle T Moose “No brain, no effect!”
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM

If I buy a copy, do I still owe you the chocolate?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Good luck!

I'll be at the Roseland, NJ public library on the 19th to talk about the book.
I'm just quoting this to remind New Jersey fans of this upcoming event.

Also, I have a presentation to healthcare providers and CCIC members today at Children's Hospital of Colorado.

Monday, I have a presentation to the Immunization Delivery Research Group at the Anschutz Center at CHC.

We've been invited to do a series of op-eds and contributions to various publications and will post those links when they are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeptiJess View Post
Wow. I listened to the Skeptically Speaking interview on the day it came out, enjoyed it thoroughly, and added the book to my Nook wishlist, all without knowing it was authored by Dopers!

I haven't been around much lately, but just happened to pop in today and notice this good news and I felt I needed to come in and give you both big congratulations. Once I read the book, I'll be sure to post reviews on both Amazon & B&N. Good for you both fighting the good fight!
Thank you for your kind words on the podcast! We enjoyed speaking to Desiree very much.

And thank you for the good reviews on Amazon. My understanding is that rankings in keyword searches use an algorithm that incorporates numbers of reviews, and we want to get our book higher up in the search results to counter the anti-vax/anti-science results.

Quote:

That book enrages us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post
If I buy a copy, do I still owe you the chocolate?
You owe us chocolate?

Last edited by Kolga; 11-15-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You owe us chocolate?

Oh crap—you had completely forgotten about my debt. It was dark chocolate, specifically. You demanded payment for reviewing my class assignment a little over a year ago, and I pointed out that chocolate was (and to the best of my knowledge still is) the standard unit of currency on the SDMB, per TubaDiva’s dictum.

If you’d like, I will personally go over to Facebook and beat up some people for you instead.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

One other thing that will help this fine book move up slightly in the rankings is for us SDMBers to all put it on our "wish list", even if we already have a copy or can't afford to buy one.

"Helpful" votes to the good reviews will also help a little- assuming that you, indeed, do find the review helpful, of course.

Wealthier SDMBers might ask local libraries if they'd accept copies for circulation, and buy some.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM

I will be at the Roseland NJ public library tomorrow night at 7 p.m. to speak about the book.

http://www.rfplnj.org/?q=content%2Fv...ry-monday-1119

Please come and meet me if you can.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM

I'm still thinking of requesting this book for my local library. I'll try to do it when I get the chance.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post
Oh crap—you had completely forgotten about my debt. It was dark chocolate, specifically. You demanded payment for reviewing my class assignment a little over a year ago, and I pointed out that chocolate was (and to the best of my knowledge still is) the standard unit of currency on the SDMB, per TubaDiva’s dictum.

If you’d like, I will personally go over to Facebook and beat up some people for you instead.
I HAD completely forgotten about the debt! You're so honest to remind me.

Beating people upon Facebook...hmm...

Quote:
One other thing that will help this fine book move up slightly in the rankings is for us SDMBers to all put it on our "wish list", even if we already have a copy or can't afford to buy one.

"Helpful" votes to the good reviews will also help a little- assuming that you, indeed, do find the review helpful, of course.

Wealthier SDMBers might ask local libraries if they'd accept copies for circulation, and buy some.
Thank you for these suggestions.

Quote:
I will be at the Roseland NJ public library tomorrow night at 7 p.m. to speak about the book.

http://www.rfplnj.org/?q=content%2Fv...ry-monday-1119

Please come and meet me if you can.

You'll be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I'm still thinking of requesting this book for my local library. I'll try to do it when I get the chance.
Thanks for your support!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Our library system has 3 copies. I've requested a reserved copy for local pickup.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's fantastic.

Booklist gave the book a very nice review.

The only odd thing about the review is she asserts we didn't provide an index. I assure anyone who wants to read it, the book does indeed have an index!
The reviewer likely received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC), which is essentially a proof copy sent out to reviewers, purchasing agents, etc. well in advance of actual printing, and which may be missing final changes such as an index.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 PM

I'll be on this radio program tonight at 9 pm EST:

http://webtalkradio.net/internet-tal...aydate-planet/

The host has engaged an anti-vaccine idiot as well alas.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mar...171153?fref=ts

Heinze self published some dreck on Amazon. He has a poor little daughter who has been diagnosed with type I diabetes. It's unfortunate that he's under the delusion her dreadful illness was caused by the hep b vaccine rather than a combination of genetics and other factors.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM

LavenderBlue, I hope they at least have the idiot on before you.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
LavenderBlue, I hope they at least have the idiot on before you.
It was an interactive format where we talked to each other. I mostly feel sorry for him. He's clearly dealing with a terrible disease in a beloved child and trying to make sense of it. His response over and over and again was essentially look at the research. I hope he moves past the anti-vax websites and into some real research and some really true passionate help for his daughter grounded in authentic research rather than quackery. His poor little girl certainly deserves that.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Whoa. Now there's an anti-vax kids' book.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

That's revolting.