Old 07-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Sorry, that video is sickening in isolation. Don't care about whataboutism of other cops in other places did other things ... walking up and throwing buckets of water on anyone without consent, ever, is incorrect.

No way that's legal, either. I'm sure it's a misdemeanor, but still illegal. Unsure of why the cops didn't react -- they probably assumed the perps were aiming to make a viral cop-assaulted-me! video.
Blue Linens Matter!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM

So the Iowa small town cop who was caught on video beating on a motorcyclist resigned. The county sheriff is back to accepting prisoners from that town. And "Prosecutors are dismissing several criminal charges and traffic tickets against people arrested by an Iowa police officer who is no longer considered credible."

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Pr...513396981.html

So a little bit of justice. Maybe more if the cop and town gets sued.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:42 PM

Graphic body-camera video shows deputy shoot man inside his own home

Quote:
Footage from the deputy's body camera conflicts with the Greenville County Sheriff's Office's original contention that the man, identified by his lawyer as Dick Trench, 62, was shot after he opened his door and pointed a gun at the deputy, the man's lawyer said Tuesday. The lawyer said Trench was shot four times.
Cop said that that the victim opened the door and pointed a gun at him.

I cannot watch the video. Does the deputy identify himself as police before firing?

Quote:
Lt. Ryan Flood, public information officer for the sheriff's department, said the office is conducting an internal investigation "to determine whether the deputy's actions were consistent with the strict guidelines and standards set forth in the sheriff’s office policy."
Quote:
Trench's attorney, Beattie Ashmore, told NBC News on Tuesday that after the shooting, the sheriff's office had a press conference and a Facebook post was up "for weeks" which said "Dick opened the door and aimed at the deputy."
I wonder if publishing lies are consistent with the strict guidelines and standards?

-God
Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 AM

Dick Trench sounds like a malady soldiers contracted in Vietnam due to the wet environs.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Dick Trench sounds like a malady soldiers contracted in Vietnam due to the wet environs.
They updated the story to change his name to "Tench"

Also, the guy was just protecting his house. Isn't that what people have guns for? Where are the gun people aghast that a man protecting his home with a gun was shot for his trouble?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The most surprising thing is that Mr. Tench is white.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I cannot watch the video. Does the deputy identify himself as police before firing?
The video at the website is not the unedited body cam footage, it is from a newscast and the body cam footage has been edited for the broadcast.

But it does feature the cop blaming the victim with "you pointed a gun at me" and the victim defending hiimelf by saying "it's 12:30 at night, I was asleep, I don't know who you are, I was protecting myself in my home."

This cop fucked up. He should not have a weapon and should not be a cop, IMO. He was sent to check on a health monitor going off, and his primary thought is "I might be in danger"?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The video at the website is not the unedited body cam footage, it is from a newscast and the body cam footage has been edited for the broadcast.

But it does feature the cop blaming the victim with "you pointed a gun at me" and the victim defending hiimelf by saying "it's 12:30 at night, I was asleep, I don't know who you are, I was protecting myself in my home."

This cop fucked up. He should not have a weapon and should not be a cop, IMO. He was sent to check on a health monitor going off, and his primary thought is "I might be in danger"?
Shouldn't this story also go in the Positive Gun News thread? Wait, maybe it should go in the Stupid Gun News thread? Oh, I'm so confused! Was there a good guy with a gun in this story? Well, I know there was a cop and he always gets that label? Sooo confused!
Old 07-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Was there a good guy with a gun in this story?
Yes. He's the one that got shot.

-God
Old 07-31-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yes. He's the one that got shot.
So, Positive Gun News thread?
Old 07-31-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
So, Positive Gun News thread?
Careful, you have to run it through the resident gun people first, to get their blessing on whether or not they think it's positive enough to go into the Positive Gun News thread.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:31 PM

Any posts about that Indiana cop who blamed fast food employees for eating his burger...before remembering he was the one who ate his own fucking burger?

I see you don't necessarily have to be a Mensa to be a cop these days but FFS can we at least hire people with a room temperature IQ? They grow 'em dumb in Indiana, I guess.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Any posts about that Indiana cop who blamed fast food employees for eating his burger...before remembering he was the one who ate his own fucking burger?

I see you don't necessarily have to be a Mensa to be a cop these days but FFS can we at least hire people with a room temperature IQ? They grow 'em dumb in Indiana, I guess.
Link

Also: hahahahahahaha! moron.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He was sent to check on a health monitor going off, and his primary thought is "I might be in danger"?
It's the world we have made for ourselves. Every person a cop meets could have a weapon powerful enough to kill him in an instant. It wouldn't be the first time knocking on the wrong door got a perfectly innocent person killed by a gun toting homeowner.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
It's the world we have made for ourselves. Every person a cop meets could have a weapon powerful enough to kill him in an instant. It wouldn't be the first time knocking on the wrong door got a perfectly innocent person killed by a gun toting homeowner.
This was why I was wondering if he had announced himself. Seems like the homeowner was unaware.

Did he say 'Hello? Sheriff's Department'? Or was he trying to use stealth. If he was trying to use stealth.....why the fuck was trying to use stealth???

-God
Old 07-31-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Link

Also: hahahahahahaha! moron.
If this guy thinks so vociferously that the general public is out to get him, he prolly shouldn't be "serving" the general public in a law enforcement capacity. I don't want paranoid, fearful and/or vengeful cops.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
It more often happens that the cops knock on the wrong door and then kill innocent people, tho, IMO.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-31-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:51 PM

https://www.local10.com/news/local/m...D5333300019174

Nice to know TSA's finest airport cops are protecting and serving the public without bias.

Quote:
The TSA didn't identify what was found in the private portion of the screening area, but CNN released a photograph of the display in question -- two stuffed gorillas tied together and hanging by a noose.
And people wonder why minorities are skeptical that officers are here to "protect and serve".

Last edited by asahi; 07-31-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:18 PM

Oklahoma Woman Refuses to Sign $80 Ticket, Is Tased by Cop

Is brute force all the understand??? Do they not train cops at all in diffusing situations?

Who gives a fuck if they sign the ticket or not?

-God
Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Is brute force all the understand??? Do they not train cops at all in diffusing situations?

That's strange, i had no problem with that. So she gets tazed. Better than getting killed. She started driving away and was kicking the officer and whatnot. He didn't start punching her in the face after she was handcuffed or put 25 bullets into the car.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah, sorry, but while I think he should probably have been able to control a 65-year-old woman without tasing her, she basically deserved what she got there. She refused to sign the ticket and refused to get out of the car when ordered, then she drove away, and then after she stopped she again refused to get out of the car, and struggled with the cop when he tried to drag her out.

As for why you have to sign the ticket, this is the rule in a lot of states. Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt. It simply constitutes an acknowledgement that you have received the ticket, and that you will take care of it one way or the other, either by mailing in your penalty payment, or appearing in court to contest the ticket. They do basically exactly the same thing in California, and in California, just like in Oklahoma, if you refuse to sign the ticket the cop can arrest you and bring you in front of a judge to hear the traffic charge against you. The signature is basically what you have to provide so that you can be on your way and deal with the infraction at a later date.

Edit:

Here is the signing thing explained for:

California
Oklahoma

Last edited by mhendo; 07-31-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Your link had a description of the video, but not the actual video. The footage can be viewed on this page.

After viewing the video, I will say that I'm now a little more critical of the cop. The woman acted like a fucking idiot, but he had a couple of opportunities to deal with the situation much better, and de-escalate it, especially at the first stop, before she drove away.

For example, when she refused to sign the ticket, and said that that she was refusing "because I don't think that I deserve to pay $80 for something that is fixable and I can fix it," that was a perfect opportunity for him to tell her that the signature is NOT an admission of guilt, and that she would have an opportunity to make her case to a judge if she wanted to context the ticket. Once she heard that, she might have signed the ticket.

He also could have explained Chapter 11, Section 12-101.H of the Oklahoma Statutes to her, which says:
Quote:
Any person producing proof within forty-eight (48) hours that a condition or equipment for which the person was cited as defective, missing, prohibited, improper, unauthorized or otherwise in violation of this chapter has been remedied by the person shall be entitled to dismissal of such charge without assessment of court costs.
The Oklahoma Highway Patrol website has a link on its own page to this text, under the heading "Fix-It Ticket." You'd think the cop might have started with this explanation, so she knew from the get-go that she could get the ticket dismissed by getting the light fixed.

After she flees, all bets are off, but I still think he's pretty fucking hopeless not to be able to get the cuffs on her without using the taser.

Last edited by mhendo; 07-31-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
That's strange, i had no problem with that. So she gets tazed. Better than getting killed. She started driving away and was kicking the officer and whatnot. He didn't start punching her in the face after she was handcuffed or put 25 bullets into the car.
Was she kicking him as she drove away? How did she manage that? Was the whatnot before or after the kicking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Yeah, sorry, but while I think he should probably have been able to control a 65-year-old woman without tasing her, she basically deserved what she got there.

Quote:
The cop gives chase and when he catches up to her, he approaches with his gun drawn.
Why was his gun drawn? He was gonna shoot a 65 year old woman over 80 dollars? And you think that's reasonable?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-31-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Was she kicking him as she drove away? How did she manage that? Was the whatnot before or after the kicking?
Why was his gun drawn? He was gonna shoot a 65 year old woman over 80 dollars? And you think that's reasonable?
In order: No. She didn't. After. Not sure. Doubt it, because she is white. Yes.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
His gun was drawn because she had shown herself combative enough that she was willing to drive away from a traffic stop and lead him on a chase.

I think that police draw their guns far too often. I think that he probably could have done his job without drawing his gun on this occasion. But still, plenty of people in Oklahoma, including women, carry guns with them, and if she's willing to flee from a traffic stop over a broken tail-light, then he's got to wonder what else she might be willing to do.

As I said in my second post, above, I still think he could have handled the whole thing much better, but she bears a lot of the blame for getting herself tased.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 PM

IMO she bears no blame for the tasing; that action is solely the officer's responsibility.

I have always been against the inflicting of excruciating, debilitating and possibly lethal pain by law enforcement to gain compliance. It's torture, plain and simple IMO.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-31-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
IMO she bears no blame for the tasing; that action is solely the officer's responsibility.

I have always been against the inflicting of excruciating, debilitating and possibly lethal pain by law enforcement to gain compliance. It's torture, plain and simple IMO.
I'm against shooting people, but tasering seems a good tool to use to gain compliance.

How do you advocate law enforcement gain compliance?
Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
After viewing the video, I will say that I'm now a little more critical of the cop. The woman acted like a fucking idiot, but he had a couple of opportunities to deal with the situation much better, and de-escalate it, especially at the first stop, before she drove away.

For example, when she refused to sign the ticket, and said that that she was refusing "because I don't think that I deserve to pay $80 for something that is fixable and I can fix it," that was a perfect opportunity for him to tell her that the signature is NOT an admission of guilt, and that she would have an opportunity to make her case to a judge if she wanted to context the ticket. Once she heard that, she might have signed the ticket.
Also, she offered to sign the ticket - but the officer apparently felt that she had refused and disrespected him, that that was too late.

Once she drove off and started kicking him after the second stop because she is "a country girl", the Tasing was probably not out of line.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I'm against shooting people, but tasering seems a good tool to use to gain compliance.

Through other suitable means. The answer to every "no officer, I will not" shouldn't be the infliction of excruciating, debilitating, possibly lethal pain. I wouldn't tase a dog, even a stray dog, for anything less than a bloody, snarling attack. Tasing a person because they refused to sign an $80 ticket is way out of line. Tasing a girl because she refused to be quiet is way out of line. Tasing a person for refusing to walk is way out of line. IMO. I'm just not into torture as a compliance tool, even when it doesn't leave permanent physical damage.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Through other suitable means. The answer to every "no officer, I will not" shouldn't be the infliction of excruciating, debilitating, possibly lethal pain. I wouldn't tase a dog, even a stray dog, for anything less than a bloody, snarling attack. Tasing a person because they refused to sign an $80 ticket is way out of line. Tasing a girl because she refused to be quiet is way out of line. Tasing a person for refusing to walk is way out of line. IMO. I'm just not into torture as a compliance tool, even when it doesn't leave permanent physical damage.
I agree. Can you link to a video where the police tased someone for refusing to sign an $80 ticket? I'd be against that. There is one video I saw linked in this thread, where the cop tased a women for pulling away, and then after she stopped again, she was kicking at the cop and refusing to lay on the ground and put her hands behind her back.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Through other suitable means. The answer to every "no officer, I will not" shouldn't be the infliction of excruciating, debilitating, possibly lethal pain. I wouldn't tase a dog, even a stray dog, for anything less than a bloody, snarling attack. Tasing a person because they refused to sign an $80 ticket is way out of line. Tasing a girl because she refused to be quiet is way out of line. Tasing a person for refusing to walk is way out of line. IMO.
She was not getting tased for refusing to sign a ticket. She was getting tased secondary to resisting arrest/assault on a police officer.

He had already told her he was arresting her before she drove off, and after refusing to sign a ticket. Refusal to sign = you are getting arrested.

No cop I am aware of is going to let that slide, ever.

Quote:
I'm just not into torture as a compliance tool, even when it doesn't leave permanent physical damage.
it is a few seconds of torture that leaves no lasting effects. Tasers are deployed because they are actually LESS likely to cause injury than physically overpowering the suspect or engaging with ASP or other baton type weapons.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Through other suitable means.
Felony evading of the question.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Boo Gut View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPACug79bGM

and calls 911 to say there's a guy with a gun.
I think this guard overreacted to a very large degree. However local law enforcement has pretty much zero rights in an IRS service center and many other federal installations. He has no rights to carry his gun into the building. If they have a warrant to arrest an on duty IRS employee, they present it to security and security brings the person out to the police. I have several friends who have worked security at local IRS facilities in my town (there are IIRC 7 here totaling around 11K employees) requests from PD to detain IRS employees is a weekly thing for them.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
He had already told her he was arresting her before she drove off, and after refusing to sign a ticket. Refusal to sign = you are getting arrested.

For a while there, I thought she was one of those sovereign citizen types. When a cop tells you that you are under arrest, "No, I'm not" are not the magic words to cancel the "arrest spell".

As the expert commentator in the video put it, it was "lawful but awful on camera". As to why the cop had his weapon drawn after the chase, there very well may be rules of procedure which required him to do so. Perhaps one of the coppers or lawyers on the board could weigh in on that.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

For a broken taillight? For a broken taillight, I'd advocate the "smile, wave, and followup letter" method for compliance. Or does that $80 ticket go away if the person doesn't sign it?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
For a broken taillight? For a broken taillight, I'd advocate the "smile, wave, and followup letter" method for compliance. Or does that $80 ticket go away if the person doesn't sign it?
Well, I'm not a lawyer, but others in this thread have pointed out that if a person doesn't sign the ticket they get arrested.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Read my explanation above, in post #14971, of why you need to sign the ticket, and why signing the ticket is not just the legally required action, but also the smart thing to do.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:38 AM

The city of Chicago has a Police Board which is, according to the city's website, "an independent civilian body that decides disciplinary cases involving Chicago police officers."

Apparently, the Chicago Police have been, for at least six years, conducting secret background checks and other investigations into every member of the public who spoke at the Police Board meetings.
Quote:
The checks appear to be extensive, with police searching at least one internal department database to determine if speakers have arrest or prison records, warrants outstanding for their arrest, investigative alerts issued for them by the department and even if they’re registered sex offenders or missing persons. Police also searched comments that speakers had previously made on YouTube or on their Facebook and Twitter accounts, among other internet sites, the documents show.

<snip>

The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois said the practice harks back to the Police Department’s shameful Red Squad history of spying on political and other groups engaged in activities protected by the First Amendment, a practice that ended with a landmark court settlement in 1982 but stretched back in one form or another to the 1920s.

ACLU spokesman Edwin Yohnka noted how for years before the settlement was dissolved in 2009, Chicago officials had argued in court that the surveillance tactics were a thing of the past.

“This suggests that that’s not true,” Yohnka said.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:00 PM

I can't be arsed to find a Stormy Daniels thread, so I'll put this here: Police officers face discipline in Stormy Daniels arrest.
Quote:
Five officers involved in Stormy Daniels’ arrest at a strip club last year face discipline for a raid that led to her being taken into custody, the Columbus police department announced.

The department said Wednesday that the officers could face punishment ranging from a reprimand to firing. The officers include a commander, lieutenant, sergeant and two of the arresting officers, all part of a vice unit that was later disbanded.

Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, was arrested at Sirens in July 2018 on suspicion of inappropriately touching an undercover officer. Prosecutors dropped charges against Daniels hours later, saying the law cited in her arrest applied only to those who regularly performed at the club.

An investigation into the arrest included a look at allegations that officers conspired to retaliate against the porn actress over her claims that Donald Trump had sex with her before he was elected president.

Those allegations are included in Daniels’ federal defamation lawsuit for $2 million in federal court in Columbus. The lawsuit was filed in January against several Columbus police officers.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:31 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I'm not a lawyer, but others in this thread have pointed out that if a person doesn't sign the ticket they get arrested.
Quote:
Read my explanation above, in post #14971, of why you need to sign the ticket, and why signing the ticket is not just the legally required action, but also the smart thing to do.

IMHNLNCO, the rationale behind why you must sign the ticket is, oddly enough, for your protection. Otherwise cops could just write a whole pad of tickets for grins and chuckles. Signing the ticket, as mentioned in this thread, and printed on the blame thing (and in my experience, mentioned by the ticketing cop) is merely an acknowledgement that you received the ticket. Also in my experience and gleaned from conversations with my aquaintances who happen to be cops, the cop will generally go with the verbal warning first before ratcheting it up to a written warning or ticket. That is, unless somwthing else is going on with you. Bitching out a cop generally isn't conducive to keeping the incident at the conversational level. Driving off in the middle of the traffic stop and then assaulting the police officer probably won't help either.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
I have several friends who have worked security at local IRS facilities in my town (there are IIRC 7 here totaling around 11K employees) requests from PD to detain IRS employees is a weekly thing for them.
That seems kind of high. Are they generally for traffic ticket scofflaws or something more serious?

Military bases are more stringent than your general government office buildings. Forty-five years ago I was gate guard for a week at Corry Field in Pensacola, a lot fewer than 11,000. I was told if the police are in hot pursuit of someone wave 'em on through and let our internal security sort it out later. If they come up with an arrest warrant direct them to the JAG office, rather like your IRS cases I imagine, but it was not handled at the gate.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, a bunch of lawmakers with their heads up their asses thought it was a good idea to require a bullshit, completely unnecessary step in the giving of a traffic ticket that exposes drivers to arrest. Nobody should ever be arrested because they didn’t sign something.

Arrest people who represent a danger to others. Poor documentation should be treated like a document problem, not a criminal problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, a bunch of lawmakers with their heads up their asses thought it was a good idea to require a bullshit, completely unnecessary step in the giving of a traffic ticket that exposes drivers to arrest. Nobody should ever be arrested because they didn’t sign something.
Actually, if you get pulled over for a traffic infraction like a broken tail-light or speeding, and you refuse to sign the ticket, you're not actually being arrested for refusing to sign. What you're being arrested for is the traffic infraction. As the California link that I provided earlier explains, "If you refuse to sign the ticket the officer is required by law to take you into custody and present you before a judge for arraignment on the charges." The charges, in this case, are the traffic charges, not refusal to sign the ticket.

Basically, the traffic infraction itself is an arrestable offense. But because lawmakers and police departments understand that these offenses are relatively minor, and because they understand that it would be a logistical nightmare to bring every traffic infraction to court, they have put in place a system that allows you to avoid arrest and deal with your infraction at a later date - either by paying the ticket (and essentially pleading guilty to the offense), or by coming to court in order to challenge the infraction notice. In order to take advantage of this workaround, however, you have to sign your name in order to acknowledge that you have received the ticket, and that you will, in fact, either pay the ticket or come to court in order to challenge it.

And, as Monty suggests, there's a certain amount of protection for the citizen here too, because it prevents rogue cops from writing tickets that the driver never knows about.

I'm not arguing that this is the best system. I'm not even arguing that it's a good one. But it's how things work in quite a lot of states, and simply signing the damn ticket would have allowed this woman to be on her way. Then, fixing the tail-light within 48 hours would have enabled her to have the ticket voided.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Here's a quick update on a case from 2015:
Quote:
A court on Thursday upheld the rape and sexual assault convictions and 263-year prison sentence of a former Oklahoma City police officer whose case has been watched closely by the Black Lives Matter movement and some conservatives.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals unanimously rejected appeals by Daniel Holtzclaw that included a lack of evidence, excessive sentence, prosecutorial misconduct, a “circus atmosphere” during his trial and a failure by the defense attorney to present an expert to offer an alternative explanation to how DNA of one victim wound up on Holtzclaw’s pants.

Holtzclaw’s family said in a statement that it is devastated by the ruling, but not surprised. Holtzclaw’s father, Eric Holtzclaw, said the family plans to file a new round of appeals in federal court, a process family members said could take more than a decade.

“We will fight for Daniel until he is free,” his sister, Jenny Holtzclaw, told reporters. She said her brother was convicted because of “biased claims” by prosecutors and fabricated accusations by “unreliable accusers.”

“He deserves freedom. He is innocent of all charges that were brought against him,” Jenny Holtzclaw said.
Sure he is, Jenny. Sure he is.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:49 PM

Philadelphia today, along with a few other cities: 7 Police Officers Resign After Investigation into Offensive Facebook Posts
Quote:
The Philadelphia Police Department says seven officers whose Facebook posts were flagged in an investigation into offensive and sometimes threatening social media activity have resigned.

Last month, the department suspended 13 officers with an intent to fire them after a nonprofit group published the results of a review of personal Facebook posts or comments from officers in Philadelphia and seven other police departments.

The researchers found officers from Arizona to Florida bashing immigrants and Muslims, promoting racist stereotypes, identifying with right-wing militia groups and glorifying police brutality. All of the posts were public.

Capt. Sekou Kinebrew tells the Philadelphia Inquirer he can’t say whether the seven who resigned were among those set to be fired.

The police officers’ union didn’t comment on the resignations.

It previously said it was disappointed the officers would “be terminated without due process.”
There is a distressing lack of specifics in the brief article: what non-profit group? Where is this study published? What city's police forces were reviewed in this manner?

A little research answered the big questions: The Plain View Project conducted the study; I found it via Nonprofit Quarterly's website. It's pretty graphic and disturbing stuff, especially knowing that the initial posts are all by law enforcement officers.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-01-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 PM

2016, Baton Rouge, LA: Alton Brown is shot to death outside a convenience store.
Quote:
A Louisiana police chief apologized Thursday to his city and to the family of a black man shot and killed by a former police officer in 2016, saying the officer never should have been hired, at the same time his office announced a settlement reversing the officer’s 2018 firing and allowing him to resign instead.

At a news conference in Baton Rouge, Police Chief Murphy Paul and a police lawyer detailed repeated problems with Officer Blane Salamoni that they said should have raised red flags long before Alton Sterling was shot and killed.
Quote:
In particular, the lawyer, Leo Hamilton, said Salamoni had been arrested for a physical altercation prior to joining the police department, which normally would have prevented him from being hired. He also failed to disclose his arrest in his application, Hamilton said.

The chief said the Sterling shooting was part of a well-documented pattern of “unprofessional behavior, police violence, marginalization, polarization and implicit bias by a man who should have never ever wore this uniform.”

“I want to apologize to the family of Alton Sterling and also to his kids. We’re sorry because he (Salamoni) should’ve never been hired,” Paul said.

Both state and federal officials declined to prosecute Salamoni and another officer involved in the altercation with Sterling, Howie Lake II. Salamoni — who fired all the shots that killed Sterling — was fired by Murphy in March 2018.

Salamoni appealed and under the settlement announced Thursday, he’ll be allowed to voluntarily resign retroactive to March 2018 instead of being fired. He will not receive any compensation, Hamilton said.
So kind of a bitter pill, and a contradictory one at that. Oh, and of course there's this:
Quote:
McLindon said his client would have easily won reinstatement in an upcoming hearing but that he and Salamoni questioned what that would have achieved. McLindon said his client can resign and become an officer elsewhere if he wants.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 PM

https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20.../#.XUORaBq8FpU

Video of cops mocking a guy who is mentally ill while he is restrained and dying.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:50 PM

2016, Baton Rouge, LA: Alton Brown is shot to death outside a convenience store.

I forgot the link earlier; my apologies.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Alton Brown has not been shot; Alton Sterling was not so lucky.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Check out this story from USA TODAY: Texas cop kills woman while shooting at dog

Police in Texas say a patrol officer accidentally shot and killed a woman when he fired repeatedly at a dog that was charging at him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...og/1898825001/