Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 PM

The nanobrained fuckferret ignored me?
Damn.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Fear not. His ignore is different than everyone else's, just like everything else he says. The post-it comment was not hyperbole.

JohnT I believe! You can do it. You can get ignored.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Quick race update: Bloviating Moron has advanced ten lengths to 449, but the gelding Misogynistic Prick has gained 11, for a net loss of one length for Bloviating Moron. Come on, folks, we can do better!

But for a moment of seriousness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
SamuelA, I could point to many specific examples where you are completely wrong about pretty much anything you profess to be knowledgeable about, and I could make reasoned arguments against any of your idiotic claims. But I don't want to risk getting the JohnT treatment. It's much better to have you miss my posts and not saddle me with inane responses, so I'll stick with childish insults.

Your level of stupidity coupled with unawareness is unparalleled on this board. I've seen the occasional poster dumber than you, but none so convinced of their superiority with so little justification. Your claims of victory after being schooled on your ignorance are transparent to the intelligent posters here. Even the below-average posters on this site could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a more scientifically correct response than any of your posts.
Absolutely spot-on and well said, Troutman.

I don't fault people for not being particularly bright or not knowing things. My main problem with SamuelA is that although I can tolerate a good deal of justified arrogance among the truly knowledgeable, it totally drives me nuts when exhibited by a self-aggrandizing pompous moronic blowhard like him. He is convinced he owns the sum total of knowledge in something that he took some courses in, and facts hold no sway against his massive pomposity, despite the fact that he doesn't even understand the basic meanings of the very words that he uses, like "computation" or "neuroscience". I laid out just the latest of many, many example in post #435, but in case that's too long for the casual reader, I give you a perfect abbreviated illustration in these two pronouncements:
Exhibit A:
Don't challenge a computer engineer on their understanding of computation
Then, just three days later:
Exhibit B:
... I was fuzzy on the meaning of computation, from a CS course 10 years ago ...

But in his own delusional world, SamuelA has "checkmated" everyone in sight, and put everyone who doesn't agree with him on ignore. Maturity and intelligence personified, I say.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
But in his own delusional world, SamuelA has "checkmated" everyone in sight, and put everyone who doesn't agree with him on ignore. Maturity and intelligence personified, I say.
And when his world is empty and devoid of other people, he'll just whine about how stupid everyone is, pat himself on the back for "winning" and move on to a new place.

Both on-line and in real life.

I wonder how he is with his own boss. If they disagree, does he call his boss a moron and then try to ignore him?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I wonder how he is with his own boss. If they disagree, does he call his boss a moron and then try to ignore him?
I think you have to be 15 for a work permit. He's still got a year or so before he has to leave his safe space and get a job.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Now my motivations were different than your guesses. (1) I did read the Washington Post article first, I didn't lie about that. But that lobby group's article, that I only skimmed, seemed more credible.
I don't care.

Quote:
(2) Sorry about any personal attacks.
I don't care. I've been called far worse by far better men.

Quote:
(3) Yep, my bad
I don't care.

Quote:
(4) "Eventually, the brass adopted the idea that, when it came to nuclear matters, they were at the beck and call of the president. It was not generals’ responsibility to make the order; it was their responsibility to carry it out."

Isn't this exactly the point I was making? Like, wasn't this the entire topic of discussion? Not sure why you put this here.
It was to illustrate to you that even Flag Grade military officers acknowledged they couldn't 'go rogue' and had to answer the President's orders.

Quote:
(5) It's the War Powers Act of 1973?
It goes both ways.

Quote:
Wait. So the original topic of discussion was that you said that Congress was helpless to stop the President from killing us all. Something that is a real, though small risk.
I don't care. This is a redirect, and it belongs in the other thread.

-----

SamuelA I will now raise the questions on the "assumptions" you have made for your 'estimates.' I'll be "nice". I will point out where your assumptions are either lacking, or do not cut the mustard due to politics or law. This is not "nitpicking"; imagine you're trying to sell this to a panel of Engineers (you are).

Quote:
Asteroid is 1.410^12 kilograms, a number I googled for a 1 kilometer asteroid.
There are gaps here: Based on what composite material? And you're not clear on 1 km diameter or radius.

Quote:
In order to push it's impact probability down acceptably, a 1 cm/second change in velocity is needed. (I read that in a wired magazine article as being enough)
There are gaps here: What is it's distance from Earth? And what is it's current velocity?

Link to that article please. That change in velocity is only valid at certain ranges from the Earth. The closer it gets, the more of a velocity change on the asteroid you need. Swapping the frame of reference (and point of view) for a second to the asteroid (a puck) because we can't move the Earth (you); if I take an accurate slapshot at you from the far end of the rink, you only need to move 0.5 m/sec until that puck crosses the ice for you to avoid it. If I'm 3 meters away from you with the same accurate slapshot, you need to move a kilofuck quicker to get out of the way. But, since we can't move the Earth, we have to move the asteroid. You need a megafuckton more energy the closer it gets to move it aside. So, you need to define how far away the asteroid is before you assume a 1/cm change in velocity.

You need to assume a distance and velocity (ETA: I do this later for you), because this will A) tell you if you need a higher change in velocity, and B) will give you an estimated time to impact which will drive other factors (e.g. spacelift) later. . .

Quote:
Nuclear pulse charge + small thrusters for guidance is assumed to be 300 kilograms, with a 150 kiloton yield. ISP is assumed to be 7500. (10k-20k from a paper on Project Orion, reducing it because you need a guidance system)
There are gaps here: What warhead are you using? Are you going to design a warhead from scratch? [Hint: no you're not, not even in 10 years]. The Project Orion Drive was abandoned as wildly impractical [Hint: you will not detonate nuclear weapons over American soil, nor can you detonate them in the atmosphere due to the PNTBT as you pass through the atmosphere on the way to space.] Spacelift will come later. You will also need to tell me the blast overpressure of your chosen weapon's effect in a vacuum when it is fuzed for a PD (or point detonation)--it will affect the force you impart on your asteroid. Why do you assume a 150 kT yield, and how does that correlate to blast overpressure in a vacuum?

Quote:
So how many nukes do you need?

(1.410^12)(0.01) = (7500*9.8)(300)(n)

n = 634. So 300 kilograms * 634 = 190,200 kilograms must reach the asteroid.
This will be recomputed when you fill the earlier gaps. You have a faulty assumption: I do not understand why you are claiming a 300 kg nuclear-tipped projectile will impart 300 kg of force onto this asteroid. You don't need nuclear weapons for this, you need giant fucking 300 kg stones. On detonation, there may or may not be 300 kg of force imparted by the nuclear explosive. You assume a 150 kT device--again, how much force will that impart on detonation in a vacuum?

Quote:
. . . I used the yields of actual devices for a Fermi estimate. Let's test your background : which warheads hit 3 kilograms/kiloton? Do optimized nukes exist that are that good or not?
I do not understand your 3 kg/kT correlation. Are you talking about primaries, secondaries, tertiaries, or total system mass? [Hint: there is no correlation between system mass and nuclear yield]. What 'actual device' did you use, and please link a citation for it.

Quote:
Falcon heavy stated payload to mars is 16,800. So you need 11 launches to do it.

16,800 what? Also, of course, you need to actually develop those nuclear pulse charges. Maybe you can't get a really efficient one in the time you have and you need 10 times as many inefficient ones. Not all the rockets will make it.
You do not understand how difficult it is to build, test, and deploy a nuclear weapon with respect to politics or engineering. And, why won't all of the rockets 'make it'?

Quote:
Bigger asteroids - 10 kilometer spheres - yeah, it's not good. 1000 times the mass, this problem becomes 1000 times harder. Now you would need to hope you can eject craters in it, which in turn means it better be made of the right kind of material for that.
You haven't done any sort of assumption of what the asteroid is made of..

Here's how a legitimate estimate should be done (to start):

A 1km diameter asteroid, of Lead (the densest material--worst case scenario) is headed towards Earth. It's volume is 0.523 km^3 (or 5.23x10^14 cm^3). With lead at 11.34 gm/cm^3, you're kind of fucked with 5.93*10^12 kg of mass coming at you. For arguments' sake, we shall assume we have spotted it 10 years before it crosses the point of our orbit (and hits us directly--acceleration or deviation due to gravity notwithstanding). This is a perfect, solid sphere tumbling (rotating about all three axes, but I am simplifying the rotational dynamics for you, otherwise targeting and imparting moments of inertia due to blast cannot be speculated unless we had a real-world shape to discuss) in space, zipping along at 10,000 km/sec, magically on orbital plane. 10,000 km/sec * 31,536,000 sec/year * 10 years gives you a range of 3.15x10^12 km from Earth. We will assume, for academics, that 1 cm/sec adjustment imparted orthogonally to it's trajectory (our orbital plane) shall be sufficient to "lift" it above the Earth. This range and forces involved will come into play once you have a warhead identified. This is where we stop for now.

Do you now see how complex of a problem this is, and that you cannot just gloss over it with handwaving? You really screwed the pooch by not identifying a weapon system. And here is no correlation between system weight and yield.

I am no longer interested in participating in your science fair project. I simply highlight where you've passed over some very important details.

Tripler
Mr. Fermi, I hope I do you justice.

Last edited by Tripler; 01-03-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Tripler; 01-04-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Mods, ignore my own reporting. I thought I'd put it in the wrong thread. Post #456 stands as is.

Tripler
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Tripler; 01-04-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:25 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Mods, ignore my own reporting. I thought I'd put it in the wrong thread. Post #456 stands as is.

Tripler
Thanks guys.
You did. I moved it.

You're welcome.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't care.
Well, you did some good work on the asteroid one. But the way your attitude is, if I did spend a year+ building a computer simulation of the asteroid, you'd say it wasn't detailed enough. I could spend 10 years and a billion dollars, if I had it, and you'd say it wasn't a real rocket. I could spend 30 years and a trillion dollars, if I had it, redirect some asteroids, and you'd say it was too unrealistically easy...

As for using simple analysis of complex problems : that's a well accepted method of engineering. The idea is you proceed in order of increasing cost. Find out if the idea maybe could work in theory first, with an analysis that could fit on a napkin. Then, in a series of increasingly complex and expensive stages, you do more and more detailed models, then eventually physical prototypes, then integration prototypes, then eventually flight hardware, then eventually some test flights, then a first mission.

There is nothing wrong with as simple, basic analysis to see if you're even in the ballpark. Says most credible scientists and engineers, it's not me saying it.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-04-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:05 AM
BANNED

Oh, one last note. So one of the reasons you do Fermi estimates is when you think about a problem in detail, you realize that there are showstopper problems you didn't think of unrelated to the basic challenge.

For redirecting asteroids, you've got a much bigger problem than "which nukes, how big, which rockets, how many, which asteroid, how far". You can probably work all that out and you can probably come up with a plan that will work...BUT....

The problem is that when an asteroid is 10 years from impact, you don't actually know if it's going to impact. You'd be spending a very large amount of money to prevent a disaster that only has a modest probability of happening.

And the second problem is that when your predictions have such wide uncertainty bands, if you go and attempt to redirect the asteroid, you might send an asteroid that was going to miss onto a collision course with the planet...

These risks would create a lot of debating, a lot of uncertainty paralysis. Of course, once you wait for the predictions to tighten up, it's too late.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, one last note..
What...again?
Quote:
Welp. Time for one last post here.

To everyone who has said nasty things and failed to make any meaningful arguments, I pit you all. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, doing your part to make the world a more hostile and ignorant place. To LSLGuy and k9bfriender, who at least made reasoned arguments, thank you. To the rest of you : you're wrong about everything, and perhaps some of you will live long enough to see it.

But hey, you're all just average examples of humans. I shouldn't expect any better. Enjoy your meaningless primate banter until you croak.

“We spend a great deal of time studying history," Hawking told the lecture, "which, let’s face it, is mostly the history of stupidity."
But before you go, would you mind telling us where you got that Hawking quote?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 01-04-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:42 AM

I've been studying this problem based on SamuelA's learned predictions and found a suitable simulator for this exercise here.

What I've discovered is that the asteroids themselves really don't present too much of a problem, but the little flying saucers that get smaller and faster each wave are really tough. More research needed, but I think he may be on to something.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I've been studying this problem based on SamuelA's learned predictions and found a suitable simulator for this exercise here.

What I've discovered is that the asteroids themselves really don't present too much of a problem, but the little flying saucers that get smaller and faster each wave are really tough. More research needed, but I think he may be on to something.
Ignored.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Ignored.
ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ํํํํํํํํํํํํ ํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ํํํํํํํํํํํํ ํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ํํํํํํํํํํํํ ํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํ
Pew pew pew pew
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Ignored.
Wow! Your "last" post in this thread lasted a whole 51 minutes!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
You did. I moved it.

You're welcome.
You are a fine American/Brit/Francais/Canadian/Dane/non-Soviet. Thank you!

I owe you beer.

Tripler
PM me and name your flavor.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, you did some good work on the asteroid one.
I do not require your acknowledgement.

Quote:
But the way your attitude is, if I did spend a year+ building a computer simulation of the asteroid, you'd say it wasn't detailed enough. I could spend 10 years and a billion dollars, if I had it, and you'd say it wasn't a real rocket. I could spend 30 years and a trillion dollars, if I had it, redirect some asteroids, and you'd say it was too unrealistically easy...
By the way my attitude is, that by the time you started plugging in assumed values, I'd be asking the technical basis for those assumptions and values. Just like I did with my "good work on the asteroid one." I'd want to know what warhead you used, which is still a question you have yet to answer. I would obviously trust the results of a computer simulation--it's a machine after all. I would question/validate the data going into that simulation first, and then look at the data coming out.

Quote:
As for using simple analysis of complex problems : that's a well accepted method of engineering. The idea is you proceed in order of increasing cost. Find out if the idea maybe could work in theory first, with an analysis that could fit on a napkin. Then, in a series of increasingly complex and expensive stages, you do more and more detailed models, then eventually physical prototypes, then integration prototypes, then eventually flight hardware, then eventually some test flights, then a first mission.
You are attempting a redirect. The Fermi problem is not used as a scientific basis at my employer. Great for mapping out problems for further study, but it is not a well accepted method of engineering. Actual engineering is a well accepted method of engineering.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with as simple, basic analysis to see if you're even in the ballpark. Says most credible scientists and engineers, it's not me saying it.
I'll say it: do some math (you know you love it). Or tell me what warhead you used in your "Fermi estimate."

Quote:
Oh, one last note. So one of the reasons you do Fermi estimates is when you think about a problem in detail, you realize that there are showstopper problems you didn't think of unrelated to the basic challenge.
Which is why I think about a problem and deal with those showstoppers before I bring them to a colleague/post them on an Internet message board.

Quote:
For redirecting asteroids, you've got a much bigger problem than "which nukes, how big, which rockets, how many, which asteroid, how far". You can probably work all that out and you can probably come up with a plan that will work...BUT....

The problem is that when an asteroid is 10 years from impact, you don't actually know if it's going to impact. You'd be spending a very large amount of money to prevent a disaster that only has a modest probability of happening.
YOU set up the hypothesis that it would in your OP in the asteroid thread. Don't shoot yourself in the foot now! Are you backing away from your own stated problem?

To simplify, here's your circular argument (in paraphrase): "SoaT incorrectly solved an asteroid problem. I know how it's done." (Multiple pages in that thread about it being done). (This thread). "It's too expensive to try to do with certainty."

Quote:
And the second problem is that when your predictions have such wide uncertainty bands, if you go and attempt to redirect the asteroid, you might send an asteroid that was going to miss onto a collision course with the planet...
But you've indicated that you could " year+ building a computer simulation of the asteroid." As I've pointed out, and will forcefully state now, once you narrow down the uncertainty bands with data from a technically sound source/basis, your cone of uncertainty shrinks, and you can tweak the data going into the simulation to either move the cone or shrink it to give you a course of action.

Quote:
These risks would create a lot of debating, a lot of uncertainty paralysis. Of course, once you wait for the predictions to tighten up, it's too late.
I'm sensing uncertainty paralysis in you since answers don't seem to be going your way.

Ignored.

Tripler
For the rest of y'all, you aren't ignored. At least not for now

Last edited by Tripler; 01-04-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I do not require your acknowledgement.
Ignored.

Tripler
For the rest of y'all, you aren't ignored. At least not for now
Also ignored.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Wow! Your "last" post in this thread lasted a whole 51 minutes!
It's a prolonged flounce, punctuated by spasmotic ignores.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Also ignored.
By quoting it, you have acknowledged it, not ignored it.

Ignore
Quote:
Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
It's a prolonged flounce, punctuated by spasmotic ignores.
What are you doing off my ignore list?

By the way, none of ya'll have shown up in any threads in GQ or IMHO that I read. You're all mouthbreathing wastes of space. Even Tripler. This board is much better without you on it.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-04-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What are you doing off my ignore list?

By the way, none of ya'll have shown up in any threads in GQ or IMHO that I read. You're all mouthbreathing wastes of space. Even Tripler. This board is much better without you on it.
A CS expert who can't even lock down an ignore list? Sad!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM

After a while, Sammy will have everyone on ignore and will be able to read the forums in peace. Until his glasses break.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
A CS expert who can't even lock down an ignore list? Sad!
Yep, with all those degrees, he couldn't even find the ignore feature. He had to seek tech help.

Like a proctologist who can't find an asshole.

Some expert.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 AM

JohnT, if even Tripler can get ignored, what the hell is wrong with you? Come on, man, it's like you're not even trying!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Yep, with all those degrees, he couldn't even find the ignore feature. He had to seek tech help.

Like a proctologist who can't find an asshole.

Some expert.
Of all the people that have posted in this thread, I don't think there is one proctologist, and yet I am fairly confident that we can all find the asshole here.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 01-04-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This board is much better without you on it.
Perhaps he's an ostrich, thinking that if he can't see us we don't exist. I might favor that interpretation except he's shown that he doesn't quite understand how the ignore function works.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Perhaps he's an ostrich, thinking that if he can't see us we don't exist. I might favor that interpretation except he's shown that he doesn't quite understand how the ignore function works.
Someone said his ignore list is on a Post-It stuck to his monitor. Probably next to his password list.

Last edited by running coach; 01-04-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:30 AM

I see he's posted 110 times in this thread. 110 effing times in a thread 480 posts long.

Just think, if someone with a the slightest clue devoted half that much effort to inventing time travel, we'd all be able to fast forward past this speedbump called SamuelA.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
By the way, none of ya'll have shown up in any threads in GQ or IMHO that I read.
Then you're not reading many threads. Most of them are regulars in GQ and valuable contributors to many threads.

Quote:
You're all mouthbreathing wastes of space. Even Tripler. This board is much better without you on it.
What exactly are you contributing, aside from ignorance, stupidity, and stubborn refusal to learn anything from people who are far more knowledgeable than you are?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Then you're not reading many threads. Most of them are regulars in GQ and valuable contributors to many threads.

Of course he doesn't see any of us there. We're all on ignore.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 PM

I was hoping a moderator would come along and pit themselves with something ignore worthy! Let's see what happens next.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What exactly are you contributing, aside from ignorance, stupidity, and stubborn refusal to learn anything from people who are far more knowledgeable than you are?
Laughter, exercise for the ignore function, and something to make the most pathetic posters walk a little taller today, knowing that they are not the lowest form of intelligence on this board.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I was hoping a moderator would come along and pit themselves with something ignore worthy! Let's see what happens next.
Hopefully he'll spend the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out how to put me on ignore.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:50 PM

I was just thinking that if I could be arsed to put in the effort -- which I'm not -- we could have a really fine collection of "SamuelA's Greatest Hits", because the hits keep coming with almost everything the pompous blowhard posts. Here's just a very brief sampling to give new readers an idea.

We have the fine saga of the meaning of "computation", wherein it turns out that our resident computer science genius is clueless about what the word actually means in, well, in computer science. That summary I linked to is quite entertaining but rather long. The upshot can be summed up in this fine juxtaposition of exhibits:
Exhibit A:
Don't challenge a computer engineer on their understanding of computation
Then, just three days later:
Exhibit B:
... I was fuzzy on the meaning of computation, from a CS course 10 years ago ...

This all came up because SamuelA was arguing against a quote I made from one of the foremost pioneers in modern cognitive science, who is apparently wrong about all sorts of things, according to SamuelA. SamuelA is very good at setting world-class experts straight on things that they got wrong.

Which led to this priceless gem:
Also, the brain does branch statements, so it meets the definition of computation and always did.
I was serious before: I really did almost spit up my drink when I read that. There's something about the combination of pretentiousness and utter incompetence that can be really funny -- SamuelA reminds me of the Peter Sellers "Inspector Clouseau" character in the Pink Panther movies.

It's just so hilariously inept on so many levels, especially with the computational nature of mental processes being such a hot and controversial topic in cognitive science. Not to SamuelA, though. I'm now imagining that my brain just executed the statement "IF (J .EQ. 0) GO TO 23". My brain implements FORTRAN IV. SamuelA's brain runs the original version of COBOL 60 on a punched paper tape. It's now clear to me that it's all absolutely computational and let's remember why: as SamuelA told us repeatedly, it's because ... signals! It's all about signals, curse you all, you stupid fools who can't see the Truth! Remember, folks, SamuelA took a course on signals and everything!

Incidentally, our resident genius picked up on the idea of branching instructions as an essential part of computation only because I mentioned it here. Before that, he was insisting that computation is really just about truth tables. Given his recent misunderstanding of the Wikipedia cite about what he thought the word meant, he obviously still doesn't know what the fuck it means.

He sternly informs us that you don't challenge a computer engineer on stuff like this (see cite above) -- at least, no more than you would challenge this particular simian on whether he even understands what the fuck a computer is. Because there's a really good chance that he might pee on you. That's in real life. On the Internet, he'll pretend that he's putting you on ignore, just as soon as the genius figures out how the ignore function works.

Then he accused me of knowing nothing about neuroscience. Funny, though, that's not what we were discussing. We were discussing cognitive science. He doesn't know the difference -- he just pulled a word out of his ass at random -- so we get the familiar backpedaling that we see SamuelA doing so often:
Cognitive science is just philosophy without considering the neuroscience underneath it.
I'm sure that cognitive scientists everywhere will appreciate this stunningly brilliant insight, especially after they learn that "the brain does branch statements". One can use it to develop many other important corollaries in the sciences, such as: "Computer science is just philosophy without considering the semiconductor fab processes underneath it."

Oh, and having gotten the concept of "computation" out of the way, SamuelA is also pleased to define artificial intelligence for us:
just big mathematical algorithms that explore a solution space
Now think about this for a minute. This is what the moron just said: "Artificial intelligence is just big computer programs that give you answers to stuff." I am in awe of his brilliance! That statement is, of course, both useless and wrong on so many levels, just like his description of the brain which apparently runs FORTRAN or something.

With nuggets of wisdom like these, the world is now a better, more enlightened place. In fact I think we can anticipate a galaxy-wide infestation of autonomous self-replicating robots any day now.

And then there's this:
My standardized test scores reveal you are the one who must be stupid.
That one doesn't need a comment, it's kind of like when you have a puppy that isn't completely housebroken and he takes a dump in the middle of the kitchen floor. No commentary required, it's just there: a steaming turd in the middle of the floor, a sad and pathetic testament to failure.

But I hasten to add that it's not just in technology that SamuelA excels. He has given us wisdom on a wide range of topics. Over here I felt obliged to comment on one of those pontifications, wherein he says:
But it's not inherently unjust, per say. One tenant of capitalism is that you get what you are able to pay for
The most interesting part was the ensuing conversation, where he claimed that "tenant" was just "a typo" and not an actual mistake from ignorance, because SamuelA does not make mistakes. And he was very clearly, he says, using "tenet" correctly.

Yeah, just like "per say", and I think that deserves a special note. The actual Latin per se, which is used to mean "intrinsically true by itself", literally means "through itself". This leads to another wonderful Latin phrase that perfectly describes SamuelA and everything he posts: per rectum.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

I can see him glancing at people's posts in this thread between thumb and forefinger and saying "I'm ignoring you! I'm ignoring you!" while squishing his fingers together.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They are the ones ignorant, not me. Someone smart reading my posts would realize that. You are obviously not smart enough, so ignoring.

Oh noes, I can't, you're a mod. Welp, guess you get to shove your ignorance in my face if you want.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-04-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
They are the ones ignorant, not me. Someone smart reading my posts would realize that. You are obviously not smart enough, so ignoring.
Well, you may have broken your ignore feature. If you can still see him, you're reached your max allowable ignore entries. You have to pay to be a Charter member for more.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 01-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:

Oh noes, I can't, you're a mod. Welp, guess you get to shove your ignorance in my face if you want.
The irony just burned a hole in my best shirt, dammit!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Actually, there is a way to put a mod on ignore.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Actually, there is a way to put a mod on ignore.
He's never gonna figure it out for himself-just tell him and put him out of our misery.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Hi there, SamuelA!

My name is andros. I don't post much, which is undoubtedly why you are--as yet!--unaware of my ineffable ignorance. I'm a mouthbreather. My idiocy is literally astounding in its Zen-like purity. I can barely boot my Windows Vista computer, and I think that Internet Explorer is "the internet." Not to mention all the toolbars that cover half my screen. I went to a movie--the sign said "Under 17 Not Admitted" so I left to get 16 friends. I finished a puzzle; the box said "3-5 Years," but I managed it in 2. I'm dumber than a dodo who was just awarded "Dumbest Dum-Dum of the Millennium" by Dumb Magazine.

As a New Year's favor to me, an idiot, would you kindly put me on your "ignore" list? Pretty please? It would mean so much to my family.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The irony just burned a hole in my best shirt, dammit!
Word of advice: do NOT drink liquids when reading SamuelA's posts. It can be deadly to keyboards, and require otherwise unnecessary laundering of shirts.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Hi there, SamuelA!

My name is andros. I don't post much, which is undoubtedly why you are--as yet!--unaware of my ineffable ignorance. I'm a mouthbreather. My idiocy is literally astounding in its Zen-like purity. I can barely boot my Windows Vista computer, and I think that Internet Explorer is "the internet." Not to mention all the toolbars that cover half my screen. I went to a movie--the sign said "Under 17 Not Admitted" so I left to get 16 friends. I finished a puzzle; the box said "3-5 Years," but I managed it in 2. I'm dumber than a dodo who was just awarded "Dumbest Dum-Dum of the Millennium" by Dumb Magazine.

As a New Year's favor to me, an idiot, would you kindly put me on your "ignore" list? Pretty please? It would mean so much to my family.
To be fair, you'd ignore yourself.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

What was it again...

"I don't know, 'bout anybody else
But when I think of you, I ignore myself"
Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 PM

I can't decide at this point. Is he honestly trying to "ignore" us or is he trying to be funny? Ha, ha - ignored another one!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

The best part is you can say stuff about him that you know he's reading because either he can't figure out how to use ignore or he's too starved for any kind of attention that he's not really putting anyone on ignore. And he can't respond because it would show he's a vain little goober, so I imagine him spraying spittle on his computer monitor down in his mom's basement thinking up killer responses that he just can't use.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Hi there, SamuelA!

My name is andros...
You ignore us for a year and a half, then waltz back in, expecting to be promoted to his ignore list just like that? Pay your dues, good sir!

(And welcome back!)
Closed Thread