Old 12-09-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
Per Natalie Merchant... I haven't heard this before.
I've heard she is a Bitch on Rails.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:28 PM

For a band to be truly assholish they must cancel concert dates outright or just refuse to take the stage. I see Mr. Assl Rose has been mentioned but I think we could get even more assholish of we enlisted Morrissey.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Yoko Ono, on ... "vocals"?
Old 12-09-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Miles Davis wrote in his autobiography about how he "slapped the shit" out of Cicely Tyson because she had a friend over whom he didn't like. She called the police, and when they left he hit her again. He wasn't ashamed or apologetic about it either; he said, ". . . she never did pull that kind of shit on me again."
Threadjack: Cicely Tyson was just on TV last night ("Madam Secretary"), portraying a woman who was born on the day the 19th Amendment was signed.

I'd also nominate Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying, who did time for trying to hire an undercover cop to kill his estranged wife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Lambesis

It's also pretty common knowledge that Mick Jones of Foreigner and Tom Scholz of Boston are very much "my way or the highway" and difficult to work with.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 12-09-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 PM

From everything I've ever read about Creedence Clearwater Revival and John Fogerty, he absolutely belongs on the list.

And Johnny Ramone.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 12-09-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
It's also pretty common knowledge that Mick Jones of Foreigner and Tom Scholz of Boston are very much "my way or the highway" and difficult to work with.
I know nothing of Mick Jones, but I might give Scholz a pass for that. My memory of Scholz and Boston is that he never thought of Boston as a band, and had written and recorded most of the songs on the first album (save for vocals) before putting the band together. It was his project and the rest of the band were sidemen, and that was the deal from the beginning.

Of course, he may have been a major asshole in a million other ways for all I know.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 PM

Does it make me a bad person that I want to send Dave Grohl into a room with the Band of Assholes just so I can see the expression on his face when he runs back out?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Paul Simon
Everything I've heard and read about Paul Simon indicates he is supreme asshole. The Broadway musical Capeman flopped because he insisted on doing it his way, despite having no background in or knowledge of musical theatre whatsoever.

If we need a banjo player, there's always Steve Martin.

I hear Billy Joel isn't doing too well, but it could be age related dementia.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
I'm not familiar with the bad rap on Paul Simon (unless it's the treatment of Art Garfunkel..) I have one personal anecdote about Simon that showed incredible, unnecessary kindness to a dying fan. It's just one incident, but it sure made an impression me.
Los Lobos, for one, are bitter about him taking all the songwriting credit for "Myth of the Fingerprints"; which they say was written nearly completely by Los Lobos. The story is that they didn't know anything until the album came out with only Simon credited. Simon doesn't return phone calls or anything, and when they finally got a reply from Simon, along the lines of '"so sue me; see what happens". I think other musicians have had similar experiences.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I know nothing of Mick Jones, but I might give Scholz a pass for that. My memory of Scholz and Boston is that he never thought of Boston as a band, and had written and recorded most of the songs on the first album (save for vocals) before putting the band together. It was his project and the rest of the band were sidemen, and that was the deal from the beginning.

Of course, he may have been a major asshole in a million other ways for all I know.
The same could be said of Edward Van Halen. His band, his music, his name, his brother and son etc..

My band of assholes would have to include:

Elton John - keys
Morrissey - vocals
Noel Gallagher - guitar
Liam Gallagher - tambourine
Ginger Baker - drums
Sid Vicious - Bass
Edward Van Halen- lead guitar

with special guest.... GG Allin!

Dave Davies or Rich Robertson could sub in at guitar also.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Lou Reed must be on lead vocals and rhythm guitar. Maybe add him to Shoeless' band of assholes. But no way this band plays without Lou, and he will make the rest of the band his bitches in no time.
Well, he will try to. Failing that, he will quit and go solo, complaining all the while about how badly he was treated by his record label and bemoaning the lack of talent in most other contemporary artists. Of course, I think all of the Velvets were pretty much assholes except for Doug Yule. That said, I'm a fan of the group.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Whoever ends up in the final line-up, we have to have Phil Spector produce them and Allen Klein be their manager.
I'd recommend Matthew Katz for the manager's job; however, he would make the band look sympathetic by comparison. Should a band of assholes be managed by an even bigger asshole?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
Actually we've have to swap out Stan Polley of Badfinger infamy as manager and make Morris Levy the label owner. Although to be honest, the list of managers who aren't sleazy/corrupt/incompetent is pretty small.
I'd save Stan Polley for a band of child molesters. I would not wish him on mere assholes.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
........The picks for this thread I think shouldn't JUST be assholes, they should also be as talented a musician as you can find within that parameter.
Fair point - but it prevents me from agreeing with Sparky812 about Sid Vicious. Sad. (There was a possibly apocryphal story about him managing to get into a fight with a fan and getting lamped, leading to the headline: When the fan hit the shit.)

OK - Gram Parsons as vocalist. Spoilt, self-destructive user of the people around him. But he could sing.

j
Old 12-10-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Everything I've heard and read about Paul Simon indicates he is supreme asshole. The Broadway musical Capeman flopped because he insisted on doing it his way, despite having no background in or knowledge of musical theatre whatsoever.

If we need a banjo player, there's always Steve Martin.

I hear Billy Joel isn't doing too well, but it could be age related dementia.
I have heard that Paul Simon and his wife, Edie Brickell, are well-matched personality-wise; unfortunately, they have reproduced. They've had police called to their house for domestic issues, and by all accounts, both were responsible.

Dennis DeYoung has a spectacular voice and is a musical genius, and unfortunately has an ego to match and that's why he isn't in Styx any more. (My local PBS station si running a concert he did a few years ago called "Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx" which is great - and to my surprise, Tommy Shaw was there to sing "Fooling Yourself", no pun intended.)

I also heard that when Janet Jackson performed here a while back, the venue had to call in a plumber to install her own personal toilet because she's a big germophobe.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:37 PM

have me mentioned john bonham and the manager of led zepplin .. who when the promoter asked one of them to controll his kids after they were marking the place up beat him up pretty badly
Old 12-10-2019, 08:15 PM

Phil Anselmo can do... something.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
The same could be said of Edward Van Halen. His band, his music, his name, his brother and son etc..

My band of assholes would have to include:

Elton John - keys
Morrissey - vocals
Noel Gallagher - guitar
Liam Gallagher - tambourine
Ginger Baker - drums
Sid Vicious - Bass
Edward Van Halen- lead guitar

with special guest.... GG Allin!

Dave Davies or Rich Robertson could sub in at guitar also.
I'm not sure Ray is any more of an asshole than Dave. Just less talented.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Unlike most of you I had personal experience and contact with most of the members of my band and have stories as to why I chose them here.

David Cassidy- Acoustic guitar Freaking drunk asshole!

Peter Frampton- Lead electric guitar Egocentric and selfish, treats people like shit

Mark McGrath
- Vocals Arrogant hothead

Ace Frehley- Back up electric guitar Bitter, unhappy soul who wants to spread his misery to others!

Lars Ulrich- Drums Ultimate douche bag!

Howard Jones- Keyboards A very strange fellow surrounded by stranger people.

Kenny Rogers- Back up vocals. I didn't have personal contact with him but I did go to one of his concerts where he forgot entire lines to songs he wrote! It was real uncomfortable to watch!
Old 12-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Fair point - but it prevents me from agreeing with Sparky812 about Sid Vicious. Sad. (There was a possibly apocryphal story about him managing to get into a fight with a fan and getting lamped, leading to the headline: When the fan hit the shit.)....
Point taken, I was going for asshole over musicianship, I'd go with Nikki Sixx but he's not much of a bass player either.

I guess Roger Waters just got the gig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I'm not sure Ray is any more of an asshole than Dave. Just less talented.
Maybe, but was Dave that caused the break-up and refused any kind of reunion, etc.. until recently. Sadly, Peter Quaife, Jim Rodford, Ian Gibbons have passed.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

No mention yet of Jake Blues, a/k/a John Belushi? Huge all-around asshole, but so remarkably talented.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Of course, there's always Insane Clown Posse for the opening act!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
Unlike most of you I had personal experience and contact with most of the members of my band and have stories as to why I chose them here.

Peter Frampton- Lead electric guitar Egocentric and selfish, treats people like shit

Mark McGrath

Ace Frehley- Back up electric guitar Bitter, unhappy soul who wants to spread his misery to others!

Kenny Rogers- Back up vocals. I didn't have personal contact with him but I did go to one of his concerts where he forgot entire lines to songs he wrote! It was real uncomfortable to watch!
Too late for David Cassidy; he died a couple years ago.

I gave up on Ace Frehley's autobiography a couple chapters in because I just plain old didn't like the guy, and when Metallica played in my city when I was in college, all the crazy stories were about Lars. The one I remember was that he went to a grungy strip club and brought back three of the ugliest, skankiest, most diseased-looking strippers to the hotel. (He was between marriages at the time.) People who saw this were like, "Dude, you're Lars from Metallica! At least choose pretty ones!"

The other stories I remember were that one band member was spotted in a downtown bookstore, by himself and doing absolutely nothing to attract attention, and another band member wanted to see a movie that was in town, so he took a cab to the theater and also did nothing to call attention to himself.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
I'd recommend Matthew Katz for the manager's job; however, he would make the band look sympathetic by comparison. Should a band of assholes be managed by an even bigger asshole?
Maybe Colonel Tom Parker could be the manager and take 50% of their earnings like he did to Elvis.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Or Billy Joel's ex-brother-in-law Frank Weber

Quote:
Music legend Billy Joel may have his own share financial misfortunes, but losing $90 million by trusting his ex brother in law is just cruel. Joel worked with Frank Weber, who acted as his manager at one time and easily siphoned $90 million from Joel. The money was used to fund several investments that made Weber wealthy but were not in Joel’s best interests. The musician filed a series of lawsuits against Weber but only got $8 million back.
The jukebox musical can be directed by Cameron McIntosh, and the movie version by George Lucas.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Another lead singer that would qualify is Wes Scantlin of Puddle of Mudd.

Destruction of property, beating his ex-wife, leading cops on high-speed chases, meltdowns on stage, alcohol may have been involved...
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 AM

No lov- I mean, hate, for Mr. MAGA himself, the Nuge? I mean, being a rude drunk is easy. Children in cages is a whole nother level, I tend to think.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Most have been said, and shit, I forgot the one I did have (due to reading other replies)... I don't think Bonham and Jim Morrison were assholes towards those in his band. Maybe a few drunken antics, but the others mentioned were always assholes, even when sober. Bing Crosby beat the hell out of his kids, which is lower than shit. I can understand Bonham and Co. attacking a guy who attacked a boy, but other than hooligan behavior, I haven't read anything. I remember a few interviews where Robert Plant did nothing but talk shit about other bands (but, praising some older ones who weren't in the scene any longer).
Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 AM

Two of the posts upthread have named Don Henley (the drummer from The Eagles) as a candidate for this band of Assholes. In a previous post, I asked if anyone might be able to explain why some people would consider Henley to be an asshole. I had always thought that most people felt the same way about him that I do. I think he is a fine man and someone that I would be very happy to call my friend.

At the risk of being repetitive and perhaps annoying people, I would like to try again and ask if anyone here could maybe help me understand why it is that some people seem to think that Mr. Henley has behaved like an asshole.

The reasons I have always thought of him as a stand-up guy are largely based on the work he did on his Walden Woods project. That was a project he launched and apparently funded to protect several acres of natural woodlands that was devoted to the legacy of a famous American writer (Henry David Thoreau) and the preservation of Walden Woods, the forest around Walden Pond that spans Lincoln and Concord, Massachusetts. Here is a link to Wikipedia that describes this project in more detail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden_Woods_Project

Also, there are a few documentary films about The Eagles and most all of them consistently portray Don Henley as a stabilizing force in The Eagles (as opposed to Glenn Fry who is almost always portrayed as someone who cares so much about the quality of the music created by The Eagles that he often sacrifices a pleasant personality in order to get his way when it comes to the quality of the music. I can understand why Glenn Fry might behave in that way. But given that Don Henley is almost always portrayed as someone who brings stability and a kind personality to the nature of the band, I just can't imagine that he would not be liked in the same way that Glenn Fry would appear to be disliked.

Can anyone explain just what it is that I may be missing? I am definitely not looking for a quarrel. I would just like to understand how Don Henley seems to have gotten a reputation for being an "asshole". Can anyone here please help me with some explanation?

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 12-14-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Dave Clark
Old 12-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Can anyone explain just what it is that I may be missing? I am definitely not looking for a quarrel. I would just like to understand how Don Henley seems to have gotten a reputation for being an "asshole". Can anyone here please help me with some explanation?
Well, his review of the Rock Bottom Remainders for L.A. Weekly was so brutal the band contemplated having Amy's uncle put out a hit on him.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Well, his review of the Rock Bottom Remainders for L.A. Weekly was so brutal the band contemplated having Amy's uncle put out a hit on him.
Thank you Silenus. I never heard of that but will try to find some more info.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Also, there are a few documentary films about The Eagles and most all of them consistently portray Don Henley as a stabilizing force in The Eagles (as opposed to Glenn Fry who is almost always portrayed as someone who cares so much about the quality of the music created by The Eagles that he often sacrifices a pleasant personality in order to get his way when it comes to the quality of the music. I can understand why Glenn Fry might behave in that way. But given that Don Henley is almost always portrayed as someone who brings stability and a kind personality to the nature of the band, I just can't imagine that he would not be liked in the same way that Glenn Fry would appear to be disliked.
So let me qualify by starting with this - I don't like The Eagles. I don't despise them as much The Dude, but few things will get me to reach for the dial faster to change the station than Hotel California coming on the radio. Accordingly, I don't follow The Eagles and do not have a what I would call a deep knowledge of them, their background and their personalities. Do to their ubiquity I know who the major players are and a bit about the band history. But nothing really in depth.

So when I say I've always heard Frey and Henley were assholes, that is admittedly coming from a place of more hearsay than is usual for this stuff. And some of it is difficult to untangle from the contempt the band( and his solo work )was held in by the punk generation( you can hear Jello Biafra name-checking and mocking him at about 5:30 into Buy My Snake-Oil or partner in crime Mojo Nixon on Don Henley Must Die ) So I just did a bit of quick internet research and turned up the following possible issues:

1.) When Don Felder got all disgruntled and started bagging on his band mates and ultimately sued them, it wasn't just Frey. It was Frey AND Henley he sneeringly referred to as "the Gods".

2.) Related to the above Henley is purportedly arrogant and bit of an egomaniac with arguably a somewhat inflated and pompous view of the importance of The Eagles.

3.) Henley was once arrested when a naked 16 year old prostitute at his place OD'ed on cocaine and quaaludes.

4.) I haven't seen it but apparently more than a few fans were dismayed how he( and Frey )came off in the 2013 documentary.

On the other hand he seems in at least some interviews as an introspective guy who owns his past excess and he had the brass balls to walk on stage unannounced at an Austin club and sing Don Henley Must Die with Mojo Nixon, so good on him . So dunno. Asshole, part-time asshole( like most of them ) or okay guy with an image problem. But there definitely there is at least an image problem.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 12-16-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

Mark McGrath

I realise a lot of these bands - by necessity, really - have diverse personnel, but wow Kenny and Ace in the same band! I would spend upwards of $4300 to see a single live performance of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
...but few things will get me to reach for the dial faster to change the station than Hotel California coming on the radio.
Lawdy, amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
...he had the brass balls to walk on stage unannounced at an Austin club and sing Don Henley Must Die with Mojo Nixon, so good on him
Yeah I dig folks who can laugh at themselves.

I'm pretty sure Lemme became quite problematic with Hawkwind.

Trying to find i-view with Offspring vocalist being a complete and utter douche, the same with an old MTV i-view with Simon LeBon.

Of the mulitple times I've been around him, I've found bassist David Wm Sims (Scratch Acid, Rapeman, Jesus Lizard) to be the worst petty fucking asshole.

So does Roger Waters win the thread, then?
Old 12-22-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Los Lobos, for one, are bitter about him taking all the songwriting credit for "Myth of the Fingerprints"; which they say was written nearly completely by Los Lobos. The story is that they didn't know anything until the album came out with only Simon credited. Simon doesn't return phone calls or anything, and when they finally got a reply from Simon, along the lines of '"so sue me; see what happens". I think other musicians have had similar experiences.
On the other hand, I saw his Graceland show (the best concert I have ever seen, bar none) and noticed that he was on the stage playing backup for each of the three opening acts.

There's also a YouTube video of a concert where a fan in the audience yells out that she learned to play guitar from the song he was beginning. So Simon called her up to the stage to play it, while he backed her up on rhythm guitar.

So, maybe sometimes an asshole, sometimes a decent guy. Like most of us.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens