Old 04-16-2019, 01:29 AM

Yes, a very nice win for Liverpool yesterday, with an amazing goal by Mo Salah to top it off. I'm not not too optimistic that the Reds can catch Man City, but I always take great satisfaction in beating Chelsea, no matter what the situation is with the league table.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Liverpool couldn’t ask for a better series of fixtures to end the season and try to win the league.

Cardiff City, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Wolverton.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Liverpool couldn’t ask for a better series of fixtures to end the season and try to win the league.

Cardiff City, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Wolverton.
And Man City have a tough set of games to end the league. Could really go either way. It'd really be something to see them in the CL final too.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
I always take great satisfaction in beating Chelsea, no matter what the situation is with the league table.
What don't you like about Chelsea?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
What don't you like about Chelsea?
Do I need something specific? Sporting loves and hates generally don't have much of a basis in rational argumentation.

But if you need a reason, how about the fact that, over the last 15 Premier League seasons, Chelsea have won five titles and been runners-up four times. It's basically the same reason I take particular pleasure in seeing either of the Manchester teams lose. Don't like Arsenal much either. The fact that Chelsea were coached by Jose Mourinho doesn't help them in my estimation either.

As I said, maybe not especially rational, but sports fandom itself is largely an exercise in emotion and irrationality. The main reason I'm a Liverpool fan is that, when I was a kid growing up in Australia, a guy named Craig Johnston became about the first Australian to make it big in English football, and he played most of his career at Liverpool.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Well, didn't Brighton just look like something that flopped out of a tall cow's ass yesterday? They may still be two points up on Cardiff but with their remaining schedule, that disappointing loss may have just been the one that will end up sending them down.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Well, didn't Brighton just look like something that flopped out of a tall cow's ass yesterday? They may still be two points up on Cardiff but with their remaining schedule, that disappointing loss may have just been the one that will end up sending them down.
Yeah, they've got a tough run of games to end the season, but they've still got a game in hand over Cardiff, and Cardiff still has to play Liverpool and Man U.

As a Liverpool fan, I'll be cheering wildly for Brighton on the last day of the season, when they face Man City.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:23 AM

As a Soton guy Brighton and the other south coast teams are supposed to be my hated rivals. Yet I root for all of them and even would enjoy the return of those awful people from Portsmouth.

(I don't really understand these kinds of things but they seem important to some. I don't think I'm a very good fan.)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Interesting to see if Spurs can cling on to the top four. I wouldn't put money on it.

Salah needs to pick it up a little if Liverpool wants to edge out Man City for the title. Mane has had a fine season, but not enough...
Of course they can. At home to Brighton, West Ham and Everton and away to Bournemouth? Both Arsenal and Chelsea still have to go to Leicester, which isn’t to be confused with Barcelona but is tougher than any of Spurs’ opponents; Chelsea also has a match with Man U to go.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:04 AM

Shaquiri has been a bit of a ghost lately. I thought he was a decent contributor when he came off the bench earlier this season.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Of course they can. At home to Brighton, West Ham and Everton and away to Bournemouth? Both Arsenal and Chelsea still have to go to Leicester, which isn’t to be confused with Barcelona but is tougher than any of Spurs’ opponents; Chelsea also has a match with Man U to go.
They need two points in two gamea to guarantee top 4 (I think) ...and they need to win an away match to Ajax with a squad full of injuries.

Um... We can do it? I'm watching these next three matches with my fingers over my eyes. Sports are stressful.

Last edited by NAF1138; 05-03-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 PM

This is a couple days old - talk to my lawyers.

Not the Prem, and also I might be the only Messi fan on this board, but last Wednesday he scored this stellar goal that was not only amazing for the shot itself but also for the fact that it was his 600th with a Barca shirt on, and scored exactly 14 years to the day he got his very first Barca goal.
Just prior to the free kick, Messi takes a swing at Fabinho. Did he actually connect, or just graze? Either way, quite the radical gesture, at the very least, and didn't seem to interest the ref.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
They need two points in two gamea to guarantee top 4 (I think) ...and they need to win an away match to Ajax with a squad full of injuries.

Um... We can do it? I'm watching these next three matches with my fingers over my eyes. Sports are stressful.
I can’t hardly stand it. We need the Giraffe Boards “beating head against wall” emoji here. Well, two or three games left and as Poch says, they’re all finals.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
This is a couple days old - talk to my lawyers.

Not the Prem, and also I might be the only Messi fan on this board, but last Wednesday he scored this stellar goal that was not only amazing for the shot itself but also for the fact that it was his 600th with a Barca shirt on, and scored exactly 14 years to the day he got his very first Barca goal.
Just prior to the free kick, Messi takes a swing at Fabinho. Did he actually connect, or just graze? Either way, quite the radical gesture, at the very least, and didn't seem to interest the ref.
I don't think he took a swing. Fabinho fouled him to stop his give and go and Messi brought his arm up to shield himself from impact. Fabinho didn't argue about it, and he would have if he thought Messi punched him.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Well, never mind...no better way to clinch Champions League* than through a massive Arsenal choke job! Well done, Brighton! And a tip of the hat to Huddersfield as well.

*almost...we lead the Gooners by 3 points and are 8 goals better on GD. So we have a week to plan the celebration properly.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:55 AM

Salah's out for the second leg of the Champion's League against Barcelona. With only 1 of their preferred 3 front line available it would take a miracle for Liverpool to advance.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Well, never mind...no better way to clinch Champions League* than through a massive Arsenal choke job! Well done, Brighton! And a tip of the hat to Huddersfield as well.

*almost...we lead the Gooners by 3 points and are 8 goals better on GD. So we have a week to plan the celebration properly.
Oh thank God because 45 minutes of 9 men on the field just about killed me on Saturday. Though, I can say without feeling like I'm being too bitter that Lerma is an ass and hope he gets some disciplinary action from the league for punching Son in the back which seemed to have gotten missed on the field.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

So, I assume both the Liverpool and Man City matches will be televised in the UK on Sunday? I’m in the UK and might travel to Liverpool just to watch it in a pub. It would be amazing to experience it.

Last edited by dalej42; 05-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
So, I assume both the Liverpool and Man City matches will be televised in the UK on Sunday? I’m in the UK and might travel to Liverpool just to watch it in a pub. It would be amazing to experience it.
Think they're both on Sky, yes. tbh it's over, dalej42, as City are going to put six past Brighton and LFC will do well to even beat Wolves. So it's far more likely to be a moody, threatening and despondent experience in an LFC alehouse. Why don't you go up to South Manchester and go wild with the Citeh fans? Be like Mardi Gras.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I actually will be in Manchester on Sunday, so it might be interesting. It’s a quick train to Liverpool, decisions, decisions.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 AM

I'm with Busy Scissors. Liverpool will likely be knocked out of the Champions League today and will probably lose the league over the weekend. I don't think their fans will be super happy.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM
BANNED

Of course Man City are overwhelmingly expected to win the league. This might make watching it in Liverpool better, as if Man City do flop, the reversal of expectations would make it electric, whereas a Man City victory in Manchester will be more of a "well, of course." moment.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Holy shit! Liverpool up 3-0 after an hour! Sounds like this might have been the game to go to Liverpool for!
Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Holy shit! Liverpool up 3-0 after an hour! Sounds like this might have been the game to go to Liverpool for!

I have never picked a better time for a UK trip. It was maddening seeing the Barca fans put their scarves around the John Lennon statue today.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

This is amazing, it’s 4-0 now
Old 05-07-2019, 03:56 PM

And they've done it!! Awesome! People must be going apeshit there.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And they've done it!! Awesome! People must be going apeshit there.

I’m at a pub in Newcastle and it’s unbelievable.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 PM

Go Reds!

I was resigned, after the first leg, to that being Liverpool's end of the road. I was actually saying, somewhat sarcastically, to a friend of mine a few days ago, "Well, the only way they win the draw is a 4-0 victory in the second leg. Wouldn't that be awesome. Ha ha!" I didn't think there was a snowball's chance in hell of such a result.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53 AM

As a Man U fan, I have to applaud that performance. As long as Spurs beat them in the final!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I am at the Cavern Club in Liverpool right now. People wearing Barca clothes are being treated with respect and they’re mingling with the crowd. Total class here in Liverpool tonight.

Last edited by dalej42; 05-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
As a Man U fan, I have to applaud that performance. As long as Spurs beat them in the final!
Looking a bit unlikely now, with Ajax up 1-0 after 10 minutes, and 2-0 in the aggregate.

Quote:
I am at the Cavern Club in Liverpool right now. People wearing Barca clothes are being treated with respect and they’re mingling with the crowd. Total class here in Liverpool tonight.
I'm a Liverpool fan, and I've always liked the Scousers, but it's pretty easy to be respectful and classy when you've just clobbered the other guys 4-0.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:15 PM

OK, so can someone talk me through this?

Liverpool were magnificent last night but the surprise was not the 4-0 but the fact that they were 3-0 down because honestly they were much the better team over the two legs. Still, massively exciting to watch.
Then Spurs find themselves 3-0 down on aggregate after being the lesser team for all three halves played and they needed to score 3 goals themselves, without reply, and somehow they did it. It may be that the Spurs performance in the second half there is even more remarkable than Liverpool last night.

Football, bloody hell! They have been two incredible nights of football.

I'm predicting an attritional 0-0 final.

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 05-08-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:15 PM

Good lord
Old 05-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
It may be that the Spurs performance in the second half there is even more remarkable than Liverpool last night.
I think it was. They were away, hadn't yet scored once, and needed all three to avoid losing, where Liverpool were even after scoring 2. Plus the lateness of the last one. Just amazing.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
I think it was. They were away, hadn't yet scored once, and needed all three to avoid losing, where Liverpool were even after scoring 2. Plus the lateness of the last one. Just amazing.
Yeah, going into the game last night I had a feeling that Liverpool had the game to trouble Barca (as they did in the first leg). They've been solid all year, creative, fast and incisive. And let's not forget that Barca imploding is not unknown. If Messi misfires they are in bother.

But tonight I didn't see anything at half time that suggested a comeback. Spurs had been dropping off in form the last few weeks, running out of steam and without Kane, their talisman. But wow! well done to them.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur! That was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen!
Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Lucas Mora is my new favorite player in professional football, for at least the next week.

COYS!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Wow, that was quite the reversal of fortune. Two great comebacks (albeit of slightly different types) in two days.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

So, I’m taking the train over to Liverpool tomorrow to watch the last matches of the year. This should be amazing, funny to think that I was angry because I won’t be here for Eurovision finals. I think the football will be more interesting.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
So, I’m taking the train over to Liverpool tomorrow to watch the last matches of the year. This should be amazing, funny to think that I was angry because I won’t be here for Eurovision finals. I think the football will be more interesting.
Are you actually at the game, or just soaking it up (literally and figuratively) in the pubs?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:21 PM

So, EPL teams make up all four of the European trophy finalists this season - Liverpool vs Tottenham in Champions League, and Chelsea vs Arsenal in the Europa League. This is the first time ever in European competition that all four finalists have come from the same country. I thought Trent Alexander-Arnold's ingenuity to get the goal in the Liverpool game may have been the highlight of the week.

It's the final day of the EPL tomorrow. It's incredible that Liverpool may end the season with 97 points, having been beaten only once in thirty-eight games, and still finish second.

The poor form of the teams chasing the Champions League spots has also been really odd, considering it's the business end of the season. Spurs have accrued just 10 out of last 33 points available, and will end the season having lost more than a third of their matches. Arsenal, incredibly, found themselves in pole position a few weeks ago to claim the third space spot, behind Man City and Liverpool, but they then suddenly had a crash in form against some very beatable teams and got only four points out of eighteen available. Manchester United have accrued eight points out of the last twenty-four available, while Chelsea are doing slightly better with fifteen points out of the last twenty-seven. For comparison, Liverpool took all of the last twenty-four points available, while Man City have taken all thirty-nine of the last available points!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Are you actually at the game, or just soaking it up (literally and figuratively) in the pubs?

At the pub, and definitely will be doing a lot of soaking!
Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Well, it is what it is. Liverpool can still win the Champions League and I think they will. It was an amazing year for Liverpool in the Premier League and they would have won in any other year.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:03 AM

This is the third time in 10 years that “they should have won it”.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:59 AM

They are also the only team in the last 15 years to lead the League at Christmas and not win it. And they've now done that three times too.

As a Liverpool fan, I find it a little frustrating. Still, I can't complain too much about this season. They were great.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 PM

I'm surprised they don't have a 4 team playoff just for the money grab. And yes I know they have other tournaments for the 4 top teams.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Its the fourth European Cup final for them in 15 years. More than any other English side. They have won the league, zilch times since then.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Tragic tragic. Should have been Liverpool's year. They missed out on the title by two inches months ago. The first on a 1-inch goal scored by Man City and the second on a should-have-been Liverpool ball that didn't cross the line.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Question from layman American here: If it is considered more meaningful to win the Champions League than the Premier League, by how much? Like 2x as meaningful?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM

Well, what an amazing year of footie it has turned out to be!

Props to my Foxes for finishing in the upper half of the table, even if it does feel like failing to live up to their potential. I hope Brendan Rogers sticks around for a while. I really think that we could have taken a shot at 6th if we'd played the whole season with him at the helm.

The Champions League and Europa League semi-final results are just amazing. English soccer is experiencing a true high right now.

I didn't really care which of the two teams (the Reds or the Sky Blues) won the Premier League. I just wish that Leicester had managed to hold on just that little be longer to keep the same 0-0 result against City that we got today against Chelsea. But I have to admit that Kompany's screaming upper-90 shot was a true golaza, and deserved to be remembered as the shot that won them the title.

Now, if only something miraculous happens in the FA Cup final...