Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,943

Who would you want running in POTUS USA 2020 that isn't in the race?


Who would you want in 2020 that isn't on the ticket?

Say that you could pick any body for both sides of the ticket, how would you choose?

I haven't decided for myself who else I would pick, but since the field seems to be relatively even I figured it would be best to pick my ideal candidate and then choose from the list the person that was most like it.

What scares me is that, from my limited perspective, Yang was the only one that seemed to be looking at the future post Trump-fires being put out, but he is so fucking Yang. (It isn't because he is Asian, let me be clear.) He seems a little too Bro-ish for me, but I don't know if that was/is an act.

Maybe you guys picking your ideal men or women for the offices would help me decide.
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.
  #2  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16,874
Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska.) His is the type the party needs.
  #3  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,637
I would've liked to have seen how Mitch Landrieu, Eric Garcetti and Sherrod Brown would've done. Not that I would've necessarily supported them once my hand hit the voting lever, but I'd like to have heard their voices in the mix.
  #4  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Procrustus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. •
Posts: 12,971
Al Franklin.

Any anti-Trump Republican on the other side
  #5  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:31 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,318
I guess Kasich or Jeff Flake for the Republicans, and I'm pretty happy with the Democratic field.
  #6  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I would've liked to have seen how Mitch Landrieu, Eric Garcetti and Sherrod Brown would've done. Not that I would've necessarily supported them once my hand hit the voting lever, but I'd like to have heard their voices in the mix.
I think Sherrod Brown would have been one of the front runners right now if he decided to run. Him being a progressive Senator from Ohio would be a very good addition.
  #7  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:15 PM
John Bredin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: BuffaloGrove IL (Chicago)
Posts: 2,142
Though the Dems need to narrow the field rather than widening it I would've liked to see Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) throw her hat in the ring. War veteran wounded in service to the nation, and who coined the term Cadet Bone Spurs for Trump. Link.
  #8  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:37 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,097
Roy Cooper NC governor. He probably would not win the nomination but I think he would do well as president.
  #9  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 42,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Roy Cooper NC governor. He probably would not win the nomination but I think he would do well as president.
I am simultaneously in agreement and so fucking relieved he didn't run. He barely squeaked out a victory in 2016, and we really need him in NC for another four years, to veto more stupid ALEC-written laws.
  #10  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:19 PM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska.) His is the type the party needs.
I thought he was okay until the "America as we know it will die" comment when opposing the ACA. That was that stupid hyperbole that makes Republicans hard to take seriously for me. They didn't used to be that bad about it.
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.
  #11  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:21 PM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I would've liked to have seen how Mitch Landrieu, Eric Garcetti and Sherrod Brown would've done. Not that I would've necessarily supported them once my hand hit the voting lever, but I'd like to have heard their voices in the mix.
I think Sherrod Brown was on Bill Maher a while back and after I saw him, I was surprised he didn't run. That is a good one I hadn't thought of on the Democratic side.
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.
  #12  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Al Franklin.

Any anti-Trump Republican on the other side
Al Franken would have been interesting to watch in the debates and on the campaign trail, he is a good speaker and can draw you in. He didn't strike me as bullshitty when he spoke.

His stupid photo banishment seems really fucking petty these days. But I'm a dude so my opinion probably counts a little less, honestly.
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.
  #13  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:25 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
I think Sherrod Brown was on Bill Maher a while back and after I saw him, I was surprised he didn't run. That is a good one I hadn't thought of on the Democratic side.
I'm pretty sure he was convinced his value was in the Senate. If he won, Dems lose a Senate seat. If he loses, he's probably damaged beyond repair for his next Senate race.
  #14  
Old 01-10-2020, 10:26 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I'm pretty sure he was convinced his value was in the Senate. If he won, Dems lose a Senate seat. If he loses, he's probably damaged beyond repair for his next Senate race.
This. Even if we stipulate that the Dems will win the White House, the chances of their re-taking the Senate are probably a tad under 50-50. And go down significantly for every additional Senate seat they have to fight for.

And without Dem control of Congress, all a Dem President can do is limit the bleeding.
  #15  
Old 01-10-2020, 10:44 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Say that you could pick any body for both sides of the ticket, how would you choose?
I think Warren's still the best choice for the top of the ticket. The only question is, who should be her running mate?

The Dems need the votes of persons of color to put them over the top in November. So Julian Castro or Kamala Harris or Andrew Gillum for veep.
  #16  
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,834
Quote:
Who would you want running in POTUS USA 2020 that isn't in the race?
I wish Jay Inslee was in the thick of the race for the nomination.
  #17  
Old 01-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,025
Mitt Romney. He would peel off a not insignificant number or Republicans who realize Trump is a clown but can't bring themselves to directly vote for a Democrat.
  #18  
Old 01-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Procrustus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. •
Posts: 12,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I think Warren's still the best choice for the top of the ticket. The only question is, who should be her running mate?

The Dems need the votes of persons of color to put them over the top in November. So Julian Castro or Kamala Harris or Andrew Gillum for veep.
Why not Senator Booker?
  #19  
Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 AM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Mitt Romney. He would peel off a not insignificant number or Republicans who realize Trump is a clown but can't bring themselves to directly vote for a Democrat.
Biden did say he was open to a republican VP...

ETA Old White Guys 2020
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.

Last edited by Translucent Daydream; 01-10-2020 at 11:59 AM.
  #20  
Old 01-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Boycott is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 518
Jimmy Carter

He doesn't need on the job training
  #21  
Old 01-10-2020, 03:26 PM
RioRico is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 2,365
Human candidates have shown extreme weaknesses. The Constitution doesn't require presidents to be human so I'd go for an AI. Siri is not old enough; I nominate Eliza.
  #22  
Old 01-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,059
Michelle Obama.
  #23  
Old 01-10-2020, 04:05 PM
RioRico is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Michelle Obama.
She knows better.
  #24  
Old 01-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Why not Senator Booker?
I am both surpised and disappointed that Cory Booker isn't doing better. He is a genuinely nice guy that would kill Trump with kindness. He tries very hard to understand the other side without compromising his own. The biggest problem I have with him is his polling numbers.
  #25  
Old 01-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Dark Sponge's Avatar
Dark Sponge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 75
Ben Carson. He'll probably never get a chance now as he's starting to get long in the tooth.
  #26  
Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Al Franken would have been interesting to watch in the debates and on the campaign trail, he is a good speaker and can draw you in. He didn't strike me as bullshitty when he spoke.

His stupid photo banishment seems really fucking petty these days. But I'm a dude so my opinion probably counts a little less, honestly.
By resigning, Franken showed his true colors.

He was confronted with two choices:

1. Stand his ground, don't back down, try to weather the temporary bad publicity, and then get back to fighting the fight in the Senate and doing his job, and best-case scenario, eventually everyone would have forgotten about the incident.

2. Resign in disgrace and be forever remembered as the guy who resigned in disgrace.

This world belongs to the people who push forward and fight. The meek inherit nothing. Franken had nothing to lose, he should have tried to weather that incident.

Last edited by Lamoral; 01-10-2020 at 07:53 PM.
  #27  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Crane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,195
Rep - Jon Huntsman

Dem - Tammy Ducksworth
  #28  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 AM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 23,569
Franken fell on his sword for what he thought was the greater good. Maybe he now regrets that, maybe it wasn't the best decision to make, and maybe it is not necessarily a fatal wound for his political life, but it is not one that he has recovered from yet. I suspect it is fatal but any recovery would have to go through having Minnesotans re-electing him first.

Fantasy world I had been really hoping for Sherrod Brown but indeed he made the calculation that a loss would end his political career and he didn't want it enough to risk that.
  #29  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,266
For the Republicans, I'd love to see Kasich running. He and I disagree pretty much across the board on what's best for the country... but we do agree that we should do what's best for the country. You'd think that could be taken for granted, but it's become all too rare, especially on the Republican side. We need to return politics to being politics.

For the Democrats, my absolute top #1 choice would be former Montana governor Brian Schweitzer, but he's made it 100% absolutely, unambiguously clear that he's not interested in any job whatsoever in the federal government.

I'll also put in another voice in favor of Tammy Duckworth. She's a fighter who won't back down, and that's what we need right now. And I still have hope for her as a VP candidate.

Sherrod Brown would have made a good candidate and a good president, but I agree with others that, right this moment, we need him more in the Senate, and I think he realized that, too.
  #30  
Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Why not Senator Booker?
His views on gun control and a few other things are batshit cray cray.

As for Michelle Obama, not for President- no expereince. But I admit that if Joe wins the Nom, she would be my dream pick for his Veep. Joe would win, hands down then, I think.
  #31  
Old 01-12-2020, 06:12 PM
RioRico is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
As for Michelle Obama, not for President- no expereince. But I admit that if Joe wins the Nom, she would be my dream pick for his Veep. Joe would win, hands down then, I think.
You're likely right but I still think she's to smart to enter the imbroglio. Here's a scenario: Joe gets the nomination and selects Michelle for Veep. They win easily and Tramp takes refuge in Riyadh. Before or after Inauguration Day 2021, she resigns and Joe appoints someone who actually wants the job, maybe Kamala Harris. Game, set, and match.
  #32  
Old 01-12-2020, 06:37 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,449
Mitch Landrieu.

Like the other two mayors in the race, he's got some baggage, but he's a smooth sonofabeech. He grew up in a political household in New Orleans and Louisiana politics, so he knows how to fight with bare knuckles.
  #33  
Old 01-12-2020, 07:28 PM
Johanna's Avatar
Johanna is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 13,758
I wish Kamala Harris for president and Stacey Abrams for vice-president.






What?
  #34  
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 17,564
Nancy Pelosi. She has stellar leadership qualities and ginormous cast-iron cojones. Whoever becomes president, that person has to be able to get things done in Congress. An outsider (mayor of a medium-sized city, one-term governor) will not be successful. You can't run the gummint by executive order. As brilliant as he was, Obama showed us that. Nancy can do it. But I'm 100% sure she's not interested.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 01-12-2020 at 07:54 PM.
  #35  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
You're likely right but I still think she's to smart to enter the imbroglio. Here's a scenario: Joe gets the nomination and selects Michelle for Veep. They win easily and Tramp takes refuge in Riyadh. Before or after Inauguration Day 2021, she resigns and Joe appoints someone who actually wants the job, maybe Kamala Harris. Game, set, and match.
I love the way you think.

But yeah, that team would sweep.
  #36  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Nancy Pelosi. She has stellar leadership qualities and ginormous cast-iron cojones. Whoever becomes president, that person has to be able to get things done in Congress. An outsider (mayor of a medium-sized city, one-term governor) will not be successful. You can't run the gummint by executive order. As brilliant as he was, Obama showed us that. Nancy can do it. But I'm 100% sure she's not interested.
She wouldn't want to take the reduction in power!
  #37  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 AM
Uniqueorn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 638
Hillary. She might take the last 4-5 years personally and go after all of Trump's changes and appointees with a vengeance.
  #38  
Old 01-13-2020, 03:48 PM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
I wish Kamala Harris for president and Stacey Abrams for vice-president.






What?
I'll bite. Why is that? I was impressed with how Stacey Abrams handled herself. After hearing her talk I am not sure why there weren't fires going on in Georgia after she lost that election. I don't know a lot about her loss, but it seemed pretty janky.
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.
  #39  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:01 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 28,840
Jon Stewart
  #40  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:28 PM
Translucent Daydream is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Grand Valley
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Jon Stewart
That is very interesting. I figure that he would have a decent crossover following, after fighting for the 9/11 first responders.

How do you think his politics shakes out in relation to those that are running currently? Is he more of a Biden type or a Warren type?
__________________
I promise itís not as bad or as good as you think it is.
  #41  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:19 PM
John Bredin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: BuffaloGrove IL (Chicago)
Posts: 2,142
With today's news, I can add Cory Booker to this thread.
  #42  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:32 PM
Johanna's Avatar
Johanna is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 13,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
I'll bite. Why is that?
Because I... really like them both a whole lot?
Quote:
I was impressed with how Stacey Abrams handled herself. After hearing her talk I am not sure why there weren't fires going on in Georgia after she lost that election. I don't know a lot about her loss, but it seemed pretty janky.
We wuz robbed.

Last edited by Johanna; 01-13-2020 at 11:33 PM.
  #43  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:08 AM
Locrian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 4,535
RE: Jon Stewart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
That is very interesting. I figure that he would have a decent crossover following, after fighting for the 9/11 first responders.
He would probably be the only celebrity I'd consider. And I was quite impressed with his passion for the first responders. But he looked under slept, frail and basically OCD about the first responder testimony. I'm not sure he's up to much multi-tasking these days. Just my impression.
  #44  
Old 01-15-2020, 04:23 PM
RioRico is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 2,365
Which non-current candidate would I WANT to run? Cthulhu, definitely a swamp-drainer. Joe Arapaio, tried and true. Mitt Romney, if he had any guts. Sarah Palin, flashing pale flesh. A deep-fake animation or clone of Tricky Dicky Nixon. Allah.

Which would I EXPECT to run? Any of the usual gang of gypsies, tramps, and thieves exhibitionists.
  #45  
Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,977
Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan.

Who unfortunately doesn't exist.

-- I suspect some person(s) do(es) exist who would do a massively better job of it than anybody currently running. (Maybe it's even Abrams or Duckworth.) That person(s), however, has more sense than to want the job.

I don't know how to pry out the people who know better than to want it, and to make them run. I don't even know how to properly write a qualification for POTUS that amounts to 'wanting this job is a disqualification for holding it.' If I could figure out how to write that, I'd be agitating to get it into the Constitution.
  #46  
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 AM
Taomist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N.O.T. Land!
Posts: 6,063
Massachusetts representative Seth Moulton. A breath of centrism in a polarizing arena.
__________________
Did she post that with a straight face?
  #47  
Old 01-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 23,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
Rep - Jon Huntsman
I'll go with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
Hillary.
Yeah. Giving the win to Huntsman.
  #48  
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Personal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Beach
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
His views on gun control and a few other things are batshit cray cray.

As for Michelle Obama, not for President- no expereince. But I admit that if Joe wins the Nom, she would be my dream pick for his Veep. Joe would win, hands down then, I think.
I don't dislike this idea, but if it were a bait and switch, it would be a shameful misplacement of trust.
  #49  
Old 01-18-2020, 08:03 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
I don't dislike this idea, but if it were a bait and switch, it would be a shameful misplacement of trust.
I concur.
  #50  
Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 PM
CairoCarol is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,302
I came in to say Tammy Duckworth and see I'm not alone. She was born in Thailand though, so while we can dream anything we want, it won't happening.
__________________
If I waited for memory to serve, I'd starve.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017