Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Who would you want running in POTUS USA 2020 that isn't in the race?

Who would you want in 2020 that isn't on the ticket?

Say that you could pick any body for both sides of the ticket, how would you choose?

I haven't decided for myself who else I would pick, but since the field seems to be relatively even I figured it would be best to pick my ideal candidate and then choose from the list the person that was most like it.

What scares me is that, from my limited perspective, Yang was the only one that seemed to be looking at the future post Trump-fires being put out, but he is so fucking Yang. (It isn't because he is Asian, let me be clear.) He seems a little too Bro-ish for me, but I don't know if that was/is an act.

Maybe you guys picking your ideal men or women for the offices would help me decide.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska.) His is the type the party needs.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:25 PM

I would've liked to have seen how Mitch Landrieu, Eric Garcetti and Sherrod Brown would've done. Not that I would've necessarily supported them once my hand hit the voting lever, but I'd like to have heard their voices in the mix.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM

Al Franklin.

Any anti-Trump Republican on the other side
Old 01-09-2020, 12:31 PM

I guess Kasich or Jeff Flake for the Republicans, and I'm pretty happy with the Democratic field.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I would've liked to have seen how Mitch Landrieu, Eric Garcetti and Sherrod Brown would've done. Not that I would've necessarily supported them once my hand hit the voting lever, but I'd like to have heard their voices in the mix.
I think Sherrod Brown would have been one of the front runners right now if he decided to run. Him being a progressive Senator from Ohio would be a very good addition.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:15 PM

Though the Dems need to narrow the field rather than widening it I would've liked to see Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) throw her hat in the ring. War veteran wounded in service to the nation, and who coined the term Cadet Bone Spurs for Trump. Link.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:37 PM

Roy Cooper NC governor. He probably would not win the nomination but I think he would do well as president.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Roy Cooper NC governor. He probably would not win the nomination but I think he would do well as president.
I am simultaneously in agreement and so fucking relieved he didn't run. He barely squeaked out a victory in 2016, and we really need him in NC for another four years, to veto more stupid ALEC-written laws.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska.) His is the type the party needs.
I thought he was okay until the "America as we know it will die" comment when opposing the ACA. That was that stupid hyperbole that makes Republicans hard to take seriously for me. They didn't used to be that bad about it.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I think Sherrod Brown was on Bill Maher a while back and after I saw him, I was surprised he didn't run. That is a good one I hadn't thought of on the Democratic side.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Al Franklin.

Any anti-Trump Republican on the other side
Al Franken would have been interesting to watch in the debates and on the campaign trail, he is a good speaker and can draw you in. He didn't strike me as bullshitty when he spoke.

His stupid photo banishment seems really fucking petty these days. But I'm a dude so my opinion probably counts a little less, honestly.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
I think Sherrod Brown was on Bill Maher a while back and after I saw him, I was surprised he didn't run. That is a good one I hadn't thought of on the Democratic side.
I'm pretty sure he was convinced his value was in the Senate. If he won, Dems lose a Senate seat. If he loses, he's probably damaged beyond repair for his next Senate race.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was convinced his value was in the Senate. If he won, Dems lose a Senate seat. If he loses, he's probably damaged beyond repair for his next Senate race.
This. Even if we stipulate that the Dems will win the White House, the chances of their re-taking the Senate are probably a tad under 50-50. And go down significantly for every additional Senate seat they have to fight for.

And without Dem control of Congress, all a Dem President can do is limit the bleeding.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Say that you could pick any body for both sides of the ticket, how would you choose?
I think Warren's still the best choice for the top of the ticket. The only question is, who should be her running mate?

The Dems need the votes of persons of color to put them over the top in November. So Julian Castro or Kamala Harris or Andrew Gillum for veep.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Who would you want running in POTUS USA 2020 that isn't in the race?
I wish Jay Inslee was in the thick of the race for the nomination.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:27 AM

Mitt Romney. He would peel off a not insignificant number or Republicans who realize Trump is a clown but can't bring themselves to directly vote for a Democrat.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I think Warren's still the best choice for the top of the ticket. The only question is, who should be her running mate?

The Dems need the votes of persons of color to put them over the top in November. So Julian Castro or Kamala Harris or Andrew Gillum for veep.
Why not Senator Booker?
Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Mitt Romney. He would peel off a not insignificant number or Republicans who realize Trump is a clown but can't bring themselves to directly vote for a Democrat.
Biden did say he was open to a republican VP...

ETA Old White Guys 2020

Last edited by Translucent Daydream; 01-10-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:31 PM

Jimmy Carter

He doesn't need on the job training
Old 01-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Human candidates have shown extreme weaknesses. The Constitution doesn't require presidents to be human so I'd go for an AI. Siri is not old enough; I nominate Eliza.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:46 PM

Michelle Obama.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Michelle Obama.
She knows better.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Why not Senator Booker?
I am both surpised and disappointed that Cory Booker isn't doing better. He is a genuinely nice guy that would kill Trump with kindness. He tries very hard to understand the other side without compromising his own. The biggest problem I have with him is his polling numbers.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:44 PM

Ben Carson. He'll probably never get a chance now as he's starting to get long in the tooth.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Al Franken would have been interesting to watch in the debates and on the campaign trail, he is a good speaker and can draw you in. He didn't strike me as bullshitty when he spoke.

His stupid photo banishment seems really fucking petty these days. But I'm a dude so my opinion probably counts a little less, honestly.
By resigning, Franken showed his true colors.

He was confronted with two choices:

1. Stand his ground, don't back down, try to weather the temporary bad publicity, and then get back to fighting the fight in the Senate and doing his job, and best-case scenario, eventually everyone would have forgotten about the incident.

2. Resign in disgrace and be forever remembered as the guy who resigned in disgrace.

This world belongs to the people who push forward and fight. The meek inherit nothing. Franken had nothing to lose, he should have tried to weather that incident.

Last edited by Lamoral; 01-10-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Rep - Jon Huntsman

Dem - Tammy Ducksworth
Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 AM

Franken fell on his sword for what he thought was the greater good. Maybe he now regrets that, maybe it wasn't the best decision to make, and maybe it is not necessarily a fatal wound for his political life, but it is not one that he has recovered from yet. I suspect it is fatal but any recovery would have to go through having Minnesotans re-electing him first.

Fantasy world I had been really hoping for Sherrod Brown but indeed he made the calculation that a loss would end his political career and he didn't want it enough to risk that.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

For the Republicans, I'd love to see Kasich running. He and I disagree pretty much across the board on what's best for the country... but we do agree that we should do what's best for the country. You'd think that could be taken for granted, but it's become all too rare, especially on the Republican side. We need to return politics to being politics.

For the Democrats, my absolute top #1 choice would be former Montana governor Brian Schweitzer, but he's made it 100% absolutely, unambiguously clear that he's not interested in any job whatsoever in the federal government.

I'll also put in another voice in favor of Tammy Duckworth. She's a fighter who won't back down, and that's what we need right now. And I still have hope for her as a VP candidate.

Sherrod Brown would have made a good candidate and a good president, but I agree with others that, right this moment, we need him more in the Senate, and I think he realized that, too.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why not Senator Booker?
His views on gun control and a few other things are batshit cray cray.

As for Michelle Obama, not for President- no expereince. But I admit that if Joe wins the Nom, she would be my dream pick for his Veep. Joe would win, hands down then, I think.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
As for Michelle Obama, not for President- no expereince. But I admit that if Joe wins the Nom, she would be my dream pick for his Veep. Joe would win, hands down then, I think.
You're likely right but I still think she's to smart to enter the imbroglio. Here's a scenario: Joe gets the nomination and selects Michelle for Veep. They win easily and Tramp takes refuge in Riyadh. Before or after Inauguration Day 2021, she resigns and Joe appoints someone who actually wants the job, maybe Kamala Harris. Game, set, and match.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:37 PM

Mitch Landrieu.

Like the other two mayors in the race, he's got some baggage, but he's a smooth sonofabeech. He grew up in a political household in New Orleans and Louisiana politics, so he knows how to fight with bare knuckles.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I wish Kamala Harris for president and Stacey Abrams for vice-president.

What?
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 PM

Nancy Pelosi. She has stellar leadership qualities and ginormous cast-iron cojones. Whoever becomes president, that person has to be able to get things done in Congress. An outsider (mayor of a medium-sized city, one-term governor) will not be successful. You can't run the gummint by executive order. As brilliant as he was, Obama showed us that. Nancy can do it. But I'm 100% sure she's not interested.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 01-12-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
You're likely right but I still think she's to smart to enter the imbroglio. Here's a scenario: Joe gets the nomination and selects Michelle for Veep. They win easily and Tramp takes refuge in Riyadh. Before or after Inauguration Day 2021, she resigns and Joe appoints someone who actually wants the job, maybe Kamala Harris. Game, set, and match.
I love the way you think.

But yeah, that team would sweep.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Nancy Pelosi. She has stellar leadership qualities and ginormous cast-iron cojones. Whoever becomes president, that person has to be able to get things done in Congress. An outsider (mayor of a medium-sized city, one-term governor) will not be successful. You can't run the gummint by executive order. As brilliant as he was, Obama showed us that. Nancy can do it. But I'm 100% sure she's not interested.
She wouldn't want to take the reduction in power!
Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 AM

Hillary. She might take the last 4-5 years personally and go after all of Trump's changes and appointees with a vengeance.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
I wish Kamala Harris for president and Stacey Abrams for vice-president.

What?
I'll bite. Why is that? I was impressed with how Stacey Abrams handled herself. After hearing her talk I am not sure why there weren't fires going on in Georgia after she lost that election. I don't know a lot about her loss, but it seemed pretty janky.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:01 PM

Jon Stewart
Old 01-13-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Jon Stewart
That is very interesting. I figure that he would have a decent crossover following, after fighting for the 9/11 first responders.

How do you think his politics shakes out in relation to those that are running currently? Is he more of a Biden type or a Warren type?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:19 PM

With today's news, I can add Cory Booker to this thread.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll bite. Why is that?
Because I... really like them both a whole lot?
Quote:
I was impressed with how Stacey Abrams handled herself. After hearing her talk I am not sure why there weren't fires going on in Georgia after she lost that election. I don't know a lot about her loss, but it seemed pretty janky.
We wuz robbed.

Last edited by Johanna; 01-13-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:08 AM

RE: Jon Stewart:

Quote:
That is very interesting. I figure that he would have a decent crossover following, after fighting for the 9/11 first responders.
He would probably be the only celebrity I'd consider. And I was quite impressed with his passion for the first responders. But he looked under slept, frail and basically OCD about the first responder testimony. I'm not sure he's up to much multi-tasking these days. Just my impression.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:23 PM

Which non-current candidate would I WANT to run? Cthulhu, definitely a swamp-drainer. Joe Arapaio, tried and true. Mitt Romney, if he had any guts. Sarah Palin, flashing pale flesh. A deep-fake animation or clone of Tricky Dicky Nixon. Allah.

Which would I EXPECT to run? Any of the usual gang of gypsies, tramps, and thieves exhibitionists.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM

Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan.

Who unfortunately doesn't exist.

-- I suspect some person(s) do(es) exist who would do a massively better job of it than anybody currently running. (Maybe it's even Abrams or Duckworth.) That person(s), however, has more sense than to want the job.

I don't know how to pry out the people who know better than to want it, and to make them run. I don't even know how to properly write a qualification for POTUS that amounts to 'wanting this job is a disqualification for holding it.' If I could figure out how to write that, I'd be agitating to get it into the Constitution.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 AM

Massachusetts representative Seth Moulton. A breath of centrism in a polarizing arena.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
Rep - Jon Huntsman
I'll go with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
Hillary.
Yeah. Giving the win to Huntsman.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
His views on gun control and a few other things are batshit cray cray.

I don't dislike this idea, but if it were a bait and switch, it would be a shameful misplacement of trust.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
I don't dislike this idea, but if it were a bait and switch, it would be a shameful misplacement of trust.
I concur.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 PM

I came in to say Tammy Duckworth and see I'm not alone. She was born in Thailand though, so while we can dream anything we want, it won't happening.