Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2003, 07:32 PM

White van man, or are UK drivers that bad?

Cable television stations in the United States are filled with police camera shows from the UK. You've probably seen them .... "'Ere we've got a lorry on the motorway .... there it goes over the central reservation, into the opposing carriageway, onto the slip ramp, and over the verge. Fortunately, the local constabulatory were following. God Save the Queen."

US police camera programs usually show police chases, with the occasional bad driver thrown in. The UK police camera programs -- I mean programmes -- show mostly bad drivers, doing idiotic things that I've seldom seen in my 250,000 miles of driving history. Of special note is "white van man," or very aggressive van drivers. Van drivers don't have a reputation as being particularly aggressive in the US, but in the UK they are known as notorious motoring maniacs.

So, UK dopers, and US dopers that have spent some time in the UK ... are UK drivers really that bad? Why is the UK "white van man" so aggressive, while they're not so bad in the US and Canada?