Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
You still see it on the Porsche 911 Turbo, which is sort of interesting, considering that the lower-spec Porsche 911 Carreras are now also turbocharged.
It's funny you should mention that, because tonight I was behind a Porsche Cayenne. The badge on the rear hatch said "Cayenne Turbo". I guess back in the '80s when turbocharged cars almost always features prominent "Turbo" badges, the car was typically offered with a naturally aspired base engine or a higher spec turbo version of the same engine, eg. a Saab 900 versus a Saab 900 Turbo. Now that even relatively low spec cars might turbocharged the badges mostly went away, but I guess Porsche decided to use Turbo to denote the highest spec car, even if the lower spec version is also turbocharged.

Anyway, on to what I came to post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I went out to lunch today and found an old Fiat in the parking lot.... I snapped a couple of pictures with my phone
Here are the pictures I managed to get of the Fiat before the owner drove it away. Sorry the lighting wasn't so great; that shadow on the front kind of ruins the photo.

https://flic.kr/p/2gN5pYp
https://flic.kr/p/2gN5pSx

It's completely dwarfed by that pickup next to it. It's roof looks barely higher than the bottom of the truck's windows!
Old 08-02-2019, 02:54 PM

A 1941 Plymouth pickup truck, a 1941 PT125.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
...Here are the pictures I managed to get of the Fiat before the owner drove it away. Sorry the lighting wasn't so great; that shadow on the front kind of ruins the photo.

It's completely dwarfed by that pickup next to it. It's roof looks barely higher than the bottom of the truck's windows!
Super cute!
Old 08-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
On the way home from the store today, I saw a Plymouth Superbird in lime green.
One of those regularly appears at the drag races that run concurrently with my club's road races. The green is faded compared to this, but it's bright compared to everything else.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 PM

One of my favorite cars. In my opinion the most beautiful cars ever built... an Auburn Boattail Speedster. There is a small workout business and they had what looked like a pitch in or grill out with one of those pop up shade tents and a handful of adults and kids mulling about. And there parked right in front was the Auburn. This one was all black with chrome side pipes.

It was only a few miles from my house so I may drive back this evening to see if it is still there and try to talk to the owner. They will probably want me to join their gym which is likely why they had that car parked right in front of the business.

Like this but black https://www.autoblog.com/cars-for-sa...-Boattail-1936

There is no way the price on my link is accurate... they sell for closer to $750,000 to $1,000,000, not $46,000.

Last edited by Spud; 08-02-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Missed the edit window. The one I linked to is a replica (pretty good one though).
Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

A Triumph TR2 in yellow, with the top up. Lovely, lovely car.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
One of my favorite cars. In my opinion the most beautiful cars ever built... an Auburn Boattail Speedster.
When someone says they've seen an Auburn, the first thing I check is their location - most of them seem to have returned to Indiana. You see a lot of Studebakers in the area as well.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I saw a caravan of 7 old Fords, looked like 3 Model T and 4 Model A, just cruising down a side road in eastern Mass.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Another visitor from Mexico, maybe not all that interesting a vehicle, just unheard of on US roads: a SEAT Toledo.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 08-03-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:00 PM

Saw a 1950s mint-green Cadillac convertible w/ the top down the other day.

Was in a RH-drive manual Toyota today.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 PM

On tonight's commute I saw a very nice, I assume restored, Corvette C2 convertible.

On a completely different note, I also saw a second generation (1981-85, IIRC) Honda Accord hatchback, with the old blue California license plates. It's interesting how much all car models have grown since the 1980s; the current Civics are probably bigger than the early Accords.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's interesting how much all car models have grown since the 1980s...
I just mentioned this to Mrs. L.A. the other day. My first car, in 1980, was a '66 MGB. (The one I currently have is a 'clone' of my first one.) It was dwarfed by the American cars, of course. But it wasn't that much smaller than many of the Japanese imports. I thought about buying a Honda Civic in 1999, and I noticed how much larger they were than the '90 I'd ridden in was. The new Civics are even bigger. Nowadays, the 'B' looks like a Midget next to them.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 08-08-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:02 AM

On tonight’s commute I saw a military Hummvee (H1) pulling a military trailer. Both had the woodland camouflage paint. It was on US-101 northbound in Palo Alt - Mountain View. I looked for any tac markings but did not see any. Its license plate was something like 86 M998.

I remember those things being so wide that it wasn’t easy keeping it in my lane on the highway, especially when compared to the old M151 Jeeps.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I just mentioned this to Mrs. L.A. the other day. My first car, in 1980, was a '66 MGB. (The one I currently have is a 'clone' of my first one.) It was dwarfed by the American cars, of course. But it wasn't that much smaller than many of the Japanese imports. I thought about buying a Honda Civic in 1999, and I noticed how much larger they were than the '90 I'd ridden in was. The new Civics are even bigger. Nowadays, the 'B' looks like a Midget next to them.

Interesting. Whereas some traditionally HUGE American models are smaller than they used to be - think, a large Lincoln or Cadillac.

We have a 1998 Civic. The thing is too damn low to the ground for me to get into and out of comfortably. The newer ones are slightly higher off the ground; a friend has a much newer one and while it's not as easy for me as my CRV, it is much easier than our own Civic.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here are the pictures I managed to get of the Fiat before the owner drove it away. Sorry the lighting wasn't so great; that shadow on the front kind of ruins the photo.

Hah! Our family owned two different Fiats - my brother bought one new, on purpose.... and my parents bought a used one from friends of theirs, to give to me my last year of college.

I did ultimately forgive them but it took a while.

Mine was a "wagon", which meant it had 2 doors, and a bit of space at the back with a liftgate to get to it. The backseats were accessed by tilting the entire front seat forward on hinges - which isn't as wacky as it sounds, as it really gave you a bit more room to climb in and out of the back. It wasn't much longer than the one in your photo.

It got good gas mileage, and it took regular fuel (it was new a year or two before unleaded became mandatory, and many stations still didn't sell unleaded). And while it stranded me a few times, it never stranded me more than 5 miles away from home - unlike my brother's, which blew its clutch cable when he was driving me back to college one year. We were lucky that we were relatively near the DC metropolitan area; had it died much further south, we would not have been able to get it fixed that day. His car was bigger than the one in your photo, but not by much.

Fiat withdrew from the US market not long after that - good riddance, I thought. When I heard they were coming back, I was amused. Supposedly they've improved, but I still wouldn't have one if you gave it to me gift-wrapped with a 10,000 check to cover future expenses.

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 08-09-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:51 PM

well Mama I guess I'll take this one back then... Oh well.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Whereas some traditionally HUGE American models are smaller than they used to be - think, a large Lincoln or Cadillac.
The sedans are smaller, but the huge Navigator and Escalade SUVs essentially fill the huge America luxury land yacht niche now. And while the sedans are smaller externally, the interior space has stayed essentially the same. Most of the girth of those big American sedans of the 1960s and 70s was in the hood and trunk.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:29 AM

This morning I saw a Volvo Laplander. The one I saw was blue with some sort of "camouflage" pattern for lack of a better word to describe it, and was outfitted with a roof rack and a ladder leading up to it. And also more aggressive off road tires than the one pictured in that link. If you've ever wanted to lead an expedition across the tundra, this is the vehicle for you.

Also, a 1980s Pontiac LaMans, that is that Daewoo compact GM slapped the LaMans name on. It had obviously aftermarket wheels. That seemed like an odd choice of car for that kind of customization, but I guess you have to work with what you've got. Or maybe the original wheels were damaged and OEM wheels were no longer available.

Lastly, I saw a cheerful yellow classic Beetle convertible, enjoying the sunny California weather with the top town.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I've seen more than one Toyota Soarer here in Florida, including one with custom wheels etc. It isn't that an ordinary-looking compact sedan is interesting as such, but that it's a Japanese-only model with no good reason to be here.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
well Mama I guess I'll take this one back then... Oh well.
I'm a bit confused... is there a connection between Fiat and Ferrari that I don't know about?
Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 PM

My own contribution for today is I parked next to a 2020 Jeep Gladiator. All black and looks like a fun and even practical vehicle. I've been aware of them for a few years but this is the first one I've seen "in the wild."
Old 08-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm a bit confused... is there a connection between Fiat and Ferrari that I don't know about?
Fiat bought half of Ferrari in 1969. In January, 2016 (I think), Fiat-Chrysler sold 80% of Ferrari to create a stand-alone company.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Today I saw a Toyota FJ40. The upper half was red, and the lower half was white.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

On the Santa Cruz wharf today, a really nice red Corvette.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Fiat bought half of Ferrari in 1969. In January, 2016 (I think), Fiat-Chrysler sold 80% of Ferrari to create a stand-alone company.
Ok, connecting corporate ownership ties can be a bit of a stretch. I think it would have made more sense to have used a Maserati.

Chrysler sells the Fiat 500, and back in the misguided late 80's sold the Chrysler TC by Maserati.

I'm pretty sure no Fiat branded car has ever shared a part or platform with a Ferrari (I'm sure someone will be around soon to remind me of the HK46 8.3mm hex bolt) Fiat and Maserati at least have a bit less of a stretch to connect.

So Mama... I guess I'll be taking this one back too https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...e-lemon-mixup/

(you can thank me later)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
On the Santa Cruz wharf today, a really nice red Corvette.
Gorgeous!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, connecting corporate ownership ties can be a bit of a stretch. I think it would have made more sense to have used a Maserati.

Chrysler sells the Fiat 500, and back in the misguided late 80's sold the Chrysler TC by Maserati.

I'm pretty sure no Fiat branded car has ever shared a part or platform with a Ferrari (I'm sure someone will be around soon to remind me of the HK46 8.3mm hex bolt) Fiat and Maserati at least have a bit less of a stretch to connect.

So Mama... I guess I'll be taking this one back too https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...e-lemon-mixup/

(you can thank me later)
You would be incorrect. The Dino was originally not branded as a Ferrari and Fiat got to use the Dino V-6 engine in their version of the Dino, which differed greatly in styling.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Not a car, but a motorcycle: The Ducati Panigale V4 R. I think I'm in love. A shame I gave up my motorcycle license due to inner ear issues.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:09 PM

Tonight I saw a 1957 Chevy four door station wagon. Since the Nomad was only a two door wagon I assume that makes the car I saw a 210? Was there a Bel Air wagon or was that just a sedan? Anyway, the car I saw had a period correct looking white over turquoise two tone paint job, and then the owner kind of ruined it by making it a lowrider and putting big modern wheels with low profile tires on it.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

On the way home I passed an MGB-GT. It didn't exactly look Olde English White, but it wasn't Primrose Yellow either. It made me wish I had been driving my roadster.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

A white early 60's Cadillac convertible, on a flat bed.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
You would be incorrect. The Dino was originally not branded as a Ferrari and Fiat got to use the Dino V-6 engine in their version of the Dino, which differed greatly in styling.
I guess I'm going to have to go to my local Chrysler dealer and pick up a Fiat 500 and convince all of my friends that I have a Ferrari.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 PM

Tonight I saw what I'm pretty sure was a late 1960s/early 1970s Plymouth Valiant. It could possibly have been a Dart, but the grille looked more Valiant like to me. It was primer gray.

I also saw a Volvo P1800 coupe. I think it was probably the same one I saw a few months back and posted several pages ago.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:54 PM

I got round to posting here eventually...

It wasn't today but last Friday I finally saw my first Lamborghini Urus - their SUV - driving past Marylebone station. I can't say it was very interesting-looking, really, although it does have sufficient Lamborghini styling on the top / front of the bonnet and lights that I could tell what it was before it was close enough to see the badge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Urus

Earlier in the week I saw an Alfa Romeo in Hammersmith that looked as though it was from the 1920s. I'm not sure exactly which model but it was fairly similar to this 1929 Super Sport:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_R...Sport_1929.jpg

It was driving past my office building, and at the same time there was an E-type Jaguar parked in the forecourt, which was nice.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 PM

I'm going to need some help on this one.

I was going around a roundabout and saw a car to my right waiting to enter. It had a very smooth shape that reminded me of a Porsche 928 but it wasn't the same. It also had pop up headlights but they were oval (ish). We ended up side by side and I realized it was a Ferrari by the badge on the very small grill. When I saw the back it was clearly spelled out FERRARI but no other numbers.

Big vents between the front tires and driver doors... smooth so not your typical super car. Seems like a "daily driver Ferrari" if there is such a thing. My Google foo is weak as I looked at a ton of pictures with no luck.

Any help in figuring it out would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
It had a very smooth shape that reminded me of a Porsche 928 but it wasn't the same. It also had pop up headlights but they were oval (ish).

Big vents between the front tires and driver doors... smooth so not your typical super car.
Your description of the shape (and pop-up headlights) makes it sound like a Daytona - as in the replica / fake from the first couple of series of Miami Vice - but those are somewhat more angular and don't have the vents you describe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Daytona

The pop-up headlights mean it can't be much later than the 1980s or early 90s, though, as Ferrari didn't use them much later than that.

The vents and the rounded shape also sound like a 250 GTO or something similar to that, but those are definitely not an "everyday Ferrari" as they go for $10,000,000 or more! I think I did once see one on the street in central London (on Whitehall) but it would be pretty unusual. Also these don't have pop-up headlamps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GTO

Some of the 550 models from the late '90s / early 2000s also have that style of vent and are quite rounded with a similar overall shape to a Porsche 928, but again, no pop-up headlights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_550

I wonder if it could have been a custom job / body kit with styling to suggest the 250 GTO but on a different Ferrari chassis? Apparently that's something that people do.

Last edited by Richard_W; 08-16-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 AM

In the last week I've seen a eggshell white bathtub Porsche convertible and a later model black Dodge Viper.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I saw a gold Mustang GT with Dubai license plates, and by "gold" I mean the gold you see on a Hot Wheels, like this.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
I wonder if it could have been a custom job / body kit with styling to suggest the 250 GTO but on a different Ferrari chassis? Apparently that's something that people do.
I'm starting to lean this direction. From the side it looks almost exactly like an 812 SuperFast. The back end had FERRARI spelled out in chrome letters where all of the pictures I see have just the badge, and I'm positive about the headlights because that is the first thing that first made me think it could be a 928... but they didn't look like quite the right shape (oval instead of round).

We do have lots of people around here with lots of extra money so it could have been someone who wanted a unique SuperFast. Saw it on my drive home last night so maybe I'll spot it again.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
The vents and the rounded shape also sound like a 250 GTO or something similar to that, but those are definitely not an "everyday Ferrari" as they go for $10,000,000 or more!
You're on the low end there. The last three GTOs that I know of sold for $38 million, $48 million, and $70 million.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 PM

I was at our local privately-owned tiny grocery-cum-post office, and out at the gas pumps I saw a Ford GT, low-slung, black, and beautiful. It was like seeing Audrey Hepburn at Wal-Mart. I would have spoken to the owner, except that the last time I tried to do that sort of thing (see Avanti sighting, above) I was reduced to a babbling fanboy almost instantly.

Last edited by Rocketeer; 08-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM

We recently had the annual New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run, which means the Twin Cities had a lot of great antique cars tooling around on skinny tires. I'll pick the air-cooled Franklin. I don't have a pic but the 1905 Runabout on this page is close to what I saw.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Ok, this was weird. I passed an oncoming Subaru SVX in red on a side street and took note. I thought they were the slickest shit back then and I still like the contour. The driver appeared to be a woman with big, light colored hair, though my glimpse was brief. A minute later, maybe even less, I saw another one. I pulled up behind it at a stoplight and there was no way the first one could have arrived at the intersection before me. The driver was difficult to see from behind but I could tell it wasn't the same big hair. So, ya, 2 SVXs in a minute.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Today I saw a restored white Ford Ranchero. I'm guessing it was a '63, but that's only a guess. Round taillights, no fins.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm guessing it was a '63, but that's only a guess.
Could've been a '64.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:56 PM

I guess the most interesting was probably the 1970s era Toyota pickup, the 1972-78 generation according to Wikipedia. It was in remarkably good shape for a 40-something year old truck, but Top Gear did demonstrate that it's impossible to kill a Toyota Hilux (as they were called in the rest of the world).

Honorable mention goes to the Ford Probe, just because seeing it made me realize you hardly ever see them anymore.

And also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Passed an 80s BMW 5-series sedan (E28), but what made it noteworthy was it had rear window louvers. I remember when those were all the rage - my brother had them on his Datsun 280Z back then - but I don't recall seeing them on BMWs back then.
Tonight I was behind a fairly new Nissan 370Z that had those louvers on the rear window. I didn't even know you could get those for modern cars.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

A 3rd Generation (1968-82) Chevy Corvette Stingray, so that would be from the first half of that range.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

A couple today. There were two 3rd generation (68-72) Chevy El Caminos in amazing restored condition for sale someone's lawn. Then a Ferrari 308 GTS parked by the ocean as I walked to a wedding reception.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
When someone says they've seen an Auburn, the first thing I check is their location - most of them seem to have returned to Indiana. You see a lot of Studebakers in the area as well.
I live very close to Auburn. Auction weekend is coming up soon. I usually see a lot of vintage classics as I live on one of the main roads between Auburn and Fort Wayne.

I used to spend a lot of weekends in South Bend, home of Studebaker and saw many, many restored Studes and Avantis.